Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

atothesquiz posted:

Woah; what? A quick google search comes up with nothing.

They got in trouble again for underpaying employees

https://ny.eater.com/2018/5/9/17335940/batali-bastianich-wage-lawsuit-felidia-babbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

atothesquiz posted:

Woah; what? A quick google search comes up with nothing.

Google "lidia bastianich indentured servant". Turns out she apparently tricked some lady to come to the US under the guise of teaching her the industry but then had her work hospice care for 6 years while saying she was working on her visa. She wasn't. She wasn't even paying her. It was bad enough that while she wasn't convicted criminally, she did apparently lose a 5MM settlement to the lady she made an indentured servant.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Why do the decent kill themselves while the complete, unsalvageable shitstains of humanity continue drawing breath happily, making the world a slightly worse place for being in it?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

PT6A posted:

Why do the decent kill themselves while the complete, unsalvageable shitstains of humanity continue drawing breath happily, making the world a slightly worse place for being in it?

empathy is a bitch

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I've started watching Ugly Delicious, and I'm glad I stuck through to the 2nd episode. Chang came across as a massive arsehole in the first episode, especially when tailing the poor Dominos guy. Him turning to the director and being all "Have you got enough? I'm not doing another loving delivery." made me really dislike him.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
How does Anne Burrell always look also tall when apparently she’s only 5’2? The hair can only do so much.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I've been enjoying Chef and My Fridge on Netflix, and I usually have it on when I'm cooking or doing the dishes.

The 15-minute time limit and limitation of ingredients to whatever the guest has on hand make the dishes more relatable to me and I've actually tried making a couple of the dishes on the show. The chefs are also funny without being overbearing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gordon Ramsay showed up in one of the episodes.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I've started watching Ugly Delicious, and I'm glad I stuck through to the 2nd episode. Chang came across as a massive arsehole in the first episode, especially when tailing the poor Dominos guy. Him turning to the director and being all "Have you got enough? I'm not doing another loving delivery." made me really dislike him.

I mean, that's his shtick. I don't know how people are always astonished when he's being a dick or throws out hot takes. He's been like this for like a decade now. Maybe it's because I worked with chefs like him and they're never serious about any of it so it doesn't faze me at all. :shrug:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m from the UK so I was unfamiliar with him until now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Marco Pierre White has to be the granddaddy of that kind of chef character.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Marco Pierre White has to be the granddaddy of that kind of chef character.

And now he's the spokesperson for Knorr lol

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I want more recipes presented in music form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOTrHrGSeNM

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
One of the best things about Ugly Delicious is knowing that Chang is trying to be less of an rear end in a top hat, seeing him make a big statement, which is then contradicted by Rene Redzepi, and seeing Dave bit his lip hard because he can’t blow up on camera at Rene Redzepi in Redzepi’s house during a holiday dinner

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

anakha posted:

I've been enjoying Chef and My Fridge on Netflix, and I usually have it on when I'm cooking or doing the dishes.

The 15-minute time limit and limitation of ingredients to whatever the guest has on hand make the dishes more relatable to me and I've actually tried making a couple of the dishes on the show. The chefs are also funny without being overbearing.

this is a very good show, cooking and banter

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

For all my years loving Chopped, I never realised that Chopped: After Hours exists. They don’t advertise it on UK Food Network (and if you try going to the US site, it directs you to the UK version which is supremely lacking in, well, anything). It just randomly showed up in my YouTube suggestions. It’s short, fun, and endlessly entertaining.

It’s so fun to watch the judges warm up, and goof off. Especially when their judge personas are so icy and unflinching like Alex Guarnaschelli or Amanda Freitag. Also, I love everyone dunking on Zakarian, with even Ted just straight up saying ‘You’re such a jackass’ to him. And Marc Murphy is such a goof. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA1C1D8Wdxk

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm in the middle of watching Salt Fat Acid Heat and am enjoying it a lot. It's Ugly Delicious but if the host was more 'Julia Child' and less 'massive rear end in a top hat'.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Well that sounds boring then

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Salt Fat Acid Heat rules cause it shows this impossibly good food and then breaks down what makes it good into things you can do that make your food better. A lot of it is obvious but it's good in a back to basics way. The last ep is just her back at home making a dinner party and it's really rad.

I've got the book too so I was primed to love it but whatever Samin Nosrat owns.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

I loved the book, but i've found the first episode of the show incredibly underwhelming

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Brandon Proust posted:

I loved the book, but i've found the first episode of the show incredibly underwhelming

The first episode is the weakest imo. The second episode is Salt and is about Japanese people taking artisanal soy sauce and sea salt entirely too seriously.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I think the first ep is really good but yea it becomes more clear in the second ep that this is more than a travel show.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

anakha posted:

I'm in the middle of watching Salt Fat Acid Heat and am enjoying it a lot. It's Ugly Delicious but if the host was more 'Julia Child' and less 'massive rear end in a top hat'.

im im the middle of the book & didnt realize there was a show

id recommend the book if you want to get better at winging it in the kitchen (it's more of a cooking book than a cookbook)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
im old and I like my cooking shows happy and chill so thanks for the tip, dude

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She keeps talking about Chez Panisse and it annoys me because I hate Alice Waters

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Mu Zeta posted:

She keeps talking about Chez Panisse and it annoys me because I hate Alice Waters

well luckily Alice Waters never shows up!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I finished the first episode yesterday and it was chill. It’d sure be nice to cook outdoors in beautiful Italian scenery.

There were one or two scenes where the music cut out while Simon was making pesto/dough/etc. with her host, and it highlighted how awkward filming these scenes must be when it’s just two people standing around in a silent kitchen.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

I finished the first episode yesterday and it was chill. It’d sure be nice to cook outdoors in beautiful Italian scenery.

There were one or two scenes where the music cut out while Simon was making pesto/dough/etc. with her host, and it highlighted how awkward filming these scenes must be when it’s just two people standing around in a silent kitchen.

I did the first ep yesterday too. I thought that was - stylistic choice, just to hear the sounds of preparing food.

I really liked it, and Italy is gorgeous.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Who is this Matty Matheson douche and why is he screaming at me through my TV, ugh

Viceland has such garbage food personalities.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He's a good cook from Canada. The guy I hate is Action Bronson.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Mu Zeta posted:

He's a good cook from Canada. The guy I hate is Action Bronson.

Yes, he is also a terrible person

I'm sure both are fine cooks, but they're also off the charts on the annoying human being scale (or perhaps that's just their schtick that Vice wants to play up, but it doesn't really matter)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the vice show where action bronson and his friends smoke weed and watch ancient aliens is actually really good though

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Matty is an outstanding cook who's trying to do a Martin Picard gimmick, but you can't just do that without being French-Canadian, like drat

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

im old and I like my cooking shows happy and chill so thanks for the tip, dude

Have you ever looked at Simon Hopkinson's shows? It sounds like they might be up your alley.

They're not for sale anywhere, but between Youtube, the BBC website and, for some reason, a Chinese video-sharing site, they're all available on the internet.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

Matty is an outstanding cook who's trying to do a Martin Picard gimmick, but you can't just do that without being French-Canadian, like drat

off camera i'm sure he's whatever. on camera matty matheson is a loud fat man who throws butter, bacon and cheese on it, whatever "it" is, for epic fuckawesome reddit upvotes and ron swanson imgur reaction gifs. he's what's wrong with the internet, he's what's wrong with nerd culture, he's what's wrong with america. stop it.

THIS is an outstanding cook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKCeHGoqfgs&t=289s

Masterchef Professionals is cool because it doesn't do that Hell's Kitchen walk of shame circus crap. Everyone leaves with their heads held high because they were good enough to be considered in the first place. Also it owns how Marcus Waring is low-key the nice guy between the two chef hosts despite his po-faced and utterly serious demeanor, and Monica Galetti might be smiley and approachable on the surface with an airy sense of humor, but her skills tests out her as a sadistic goddamned psychopath who loves watching folk squirm just to see them carry it.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 6, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Nailed It Christmas Special goes up tomorrow! :toot:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Willie Tomg posted:

off camera i'm sure he's whatever. on camera matty matheson is a loud fat man who throws butter, bacon and cheese on it, whatever "it" is, for epic fuckawesome reddit upvotes and ron swanson imgur reaction gifs. he's what's wrong with the internet, he's what's wrong with nerd culture, he's what's wrong with america. stop it.

THIS is an outstanding cook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKCeHGoqfgs&t=289s

Masterchef Professionals is cool because it doesn't do that Hell's Kitchen walk of shame circus crap. Everyone leaves with their heads held high because they were good enough to be considered in the first place. Also it owns how Marcus Waring is low-key the nice guy between the two chef hosts despite his po-faced and utterly serious demeanor, and Monica Galetti might be smiley and approachable on the surface with an airy sense of humor, but her skills tests out her as a sadistic goddamned psychopath who loves watching folk squirm just to see them carry it.

Every dish on that show has a bunch of vegetable purees, chantarelle or morelle mushrooms, faggots (whatever those are, some kind of offal meatball?), and compressed fruit or something. I like the show a lot but most of the dishes including their plating start to get very similar. And I think they focus way too much on presentation.

Also I have a feeling Marcus Wareing might not be back for the next season because his flagship restaurant just lost a Michelin star.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 7, 2018

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Anybody else watch The Final Table? I was digging it and then it had to end on a big ole "this industry relies on impoverishing its own labor and we think that's just fine" note. Or maybe I just read too much into it.

edit- also I cannot loving beLIEVE the UK got an episode over China or anywhere in the Middle East

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sex Hobbit posted:

Anybody else watch The Final Table? I was digging it and then it had to end on a big ole "this industry relies on impoverishing its own labor and we think that's just fine" note. Or maybe I just read too much into it.

edit- also I cannot loving beLIEVE the UK got an episode over China or anywhere in the Middle East

Who the UK judges are made both me and my bf laugh out loud. Jay Rayner, sure, good food dude. But Cat Deeley and Gary bloody Lineker?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh my god, the New Years Eve episode of Nailed It. I was crying.