Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I got a big batch of blue crabs. Anyone have a recipe that's not just steaming? If nothing sticks out they're going in a dry curry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

fart store posted:

I have bought a lot of beans from rancho gordo and from this place
https://www.purcellmountainfarms.com

Eeyo posted:

Are you talking about Rancho Gordo https://www.ranchogordo.com They have a lot of different beans on their site. Definitely on the expensive side, but I assume they're good beans?

It was the Purcell Mountain Farms site, but thanks for the other one too! I've had too many bad experiences with hard old supermarket beans so I'm willing to pay a little extra.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

I got a big batch of blue crabs. Anyone have a recipe that's not just steaming? If nothing sticks out they're going in a dry curry.

Crab cakes. Steam them, then pick them.

For every pound of crab meat, mix in:

4 teaspoons of bread crumbs
4 teaspoons of mayo (make your own if you want, it's better)
1 tsp dried mustard
2 tsp fresh chopped parsley
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste

In a mixing bowl, mix it all together, then pack it into a biscuit cutter (if you've got it) or hand-pat the cakes so they're about 3" across and 1" high. Put them onto wax paper on a baking sheet, and toss them in the refrigerator for an hour to help them firm up.

Melt a little butter or oil in a skillet and fry them until golden brown on each side.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

al-azad posted:

Ganjang Gejang - marinated raw crab

:dong:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Ganjang Gejang - marinated raw crab

:dong:

Okay, I made the crab cakes this time but watching Maangchi's recipe on this I'm sooooold. I've been cutting back on the starches but I can't wait to dunk some rice in marinated crab guts I swear.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

al-azad posted:

Okay, I made the crab cakes this time but watching Maangchi's recipe on this I'm sooooold. I've been cutting back on the starches but I can't wait to dunk some rice in marinated crab guts I swear.

Hell yeah. There's also a chili paste based marinated crab as well.

I crave both constantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_wv8hNCYK0

This is pretty much what I wish I could be doing weekly

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Casu Marzu posted:

Hell yeah. There's also a chili paste based marinated crab as well.

I crave both constantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_wv8hNCYK0

This is pretty much what I wish I could be doing weekly

this makes me want to puke
no dont link me more mukbang i aint clicking that poo poo unless its some dude crying about getting diabetes from eating too many personal pan pizzas

fart store fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 21, 2018

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

al-azad posted:

Take the claw meat with with the claws still attached and batter and fry them. Otherwise crab cakes, just on’t yuck them up with Old Bay. Apparently nobody outside with Gulf Coast knows about fried crab claws?

Raw crab (even marinated in something acidic) just sounds like a really good way to get a nasty bug. Those dudes eat garbage and live in estuaries where every city’s sewer system overflows.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Take the claw meat with with the claws still attached and batter and fry them. Otherwise crab cakes, just on’t yuck them up with Old Bay. Apparently nobody outside with Gulf Coast knows about fried crab claws?

Raw crab (even marinated in something acidic) just sounds like a really good way to get a nasty bug. Those dudes eat garbage and live in estuaries where every city’s sewer system overflows.

I remember eating a lot of fried crab claw when I was a kid, vacationing on the gulf coast. it's like a fried treat with a handy handle. That said, if I've gotten lucky enough to get fresh blue crab these days, i generally do a crab boil or crab cakes because I don't have enough of them to really do a good mess of claws.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Gumbo turned out pretty tasty but I bought too much okra and now I don't know what to do with it. What else can I put okra into besides just making more gumbo?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Roast it. 425 degrees, rub olive oil, and give it 20 minutes.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/204478/roasted-okra/

Hauki
May 11, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Gumbo turned out pretty tasty but I bought too much okra and now I don't know what to do with it. What else can I put okra into besides just making more gumbo?

freeze it and make more gumbo

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Okra and tomatoes is good too.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Eeyo posted:

I don't have any recommendations, I got a cheap one 5 years ago so I'm interested too. But sometimes they're called "immersion blender" or "stick blender" as well. There's also a Kitchen Equipment Thread but I'm sure most of the people reading that are reading this anyway.

Yeah, my current one is probably approaching 7-8 years. It's fine for most stuff but a whisk attachment and something that doesn't gas my entire apartment when making chili powder is why I'm considering an upgrade.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Okra curry.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Bindi curries forever!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

C-Euro posted:

Chicken fried steak with fried okra on the side.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone got a cheesecake instant pot recipe they like? I’ve made one twice now, and the texture is fine (a little more light and custardy this second time, perhaps overbeaten?) but despite the batter having that right sour tang, post cooking, it’s really muted. I like a cheesecake to have that sour, New York style tangy, creamy rich profile.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Anyone have any go to season salt with no sugar they prefer for chicken/pork/meat? I was using Johnny's Seasoning Salt for a while and it tasted fine, but the 2nd ingredient is sugar. Sugar is fine for bbq or whatever, but I don't need it on all meat I cook. The other issue I have with some seasoning salts is a lot of them put things in that tend to burn, I don't know if they expect you to put it on after you cook or what.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Feenix posted:

Anyone got a cheesecake instant pot recipe they like? I’ve made one twice now, and the texture is fine (a little more light and custardy this second time, perhaps overbeaten?) but despite the batter having that right sour tang, post cooking, it’s really muted. I like a cheesecake to have that sour, New York style tangy, creamy rich profile.

I don't actually know but:

I would guess that baking a cheesecake allows for some reduction of moisture that pressure cooking does not, thus intensifying flavor.

What's your recipe? You may be able to replace milk with a lesser volume of cream, or sub buttermilk for something, or something else.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

pile of brown posted:

I don't actually know but:

I would guess that baking a cheesecake allows for some reduction of moisture that pressure cooking does not, thus intensifying flavor.

What's your recipe? You may be able to replace milk with a lesser volume of cream, or sub buttermilk for something, or something else.

Cream cheese
Sour cream
2 eggs
Cornstarch
Sugar
Pinch of salt
Vanilla

I even add lemon zest and a bit of juice this time. (Wonder if the juice affected the texture..? It was about a tablespoon)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

Anyone have any go to season salt with no sugar they prefer for chicken/pork/meat? I was using Johnny's Seasoning Salt for a while and it tasted fine, but the 2nd ingredient is sugar. Sugar is fine for bbq or whatever, but I don't need it on all meat I cook. The other issue I have with some seasoning salts is a lot of them put things in that tend to burn, I don't know if they expect you to put it on after you cook or what.

Have you tried making your own? Aside from sugar the ingredients list salt, paprika, garlic, and "spices" which judging by the picture is flat parsley, allspice, and maybe onion powder. Buy those cheap little spice baggies from the Latino aisle, mix up to your preferred taste, then store in an empty pepper shaker or something.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Does an unopened jar of kimchi go bad? Found a jar in the back of the fridge with a sell by date of 8-31-18, wondering if I can pack it for lunch tomorrow.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Annath posted:

Does an unopened jar of kimchi go bad? Found a jar in the back of the fridge with a sell by date of 8-31-18, wondering if I can pack it for lunch tomorrow.

Look, smell, taste. It should be fine.

I currently have a crock going on 14 months.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
My wife got some lactose-free eggnog but doesn't like it. Can I like add an egg or something and make French toast?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Tesco does some really delicious slow roasted tomatoes and mozzarella that come in a convenient package that's enough for two meals (my goto is to have it with hummus, some olives, and pitta bread, it's really filling). I bought a bunch of different cheese though to have with these small meals so I don't want the mozzarella. I bought some on the vine tomatoes and would like to try my own hand at making slow roasted tomatoes. Any recipes you guys would suggest? The Tesco stuff comes in an olive oil and oregano (or something) drizzle and it's delicious, so I'd like to incorporate herbs into my homemade version too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Annath posted:

Smell test it but it's highly unlikely to go bad. If it smells bad or appears somewhat slimy, don't chance it.

Kimchi is designed for long term preservation and storage.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Qubee posted:

Tesco does some really delicious slow roasted tomatoes and mozzarella that come in a convenient package that's enough for two meals (my goto is to have it with hummus, some olives, and pitta bread, it's really filling). I bought a bunch of different cheese though to have with these small meals so I don't want the mozzarella. I bought some on the vine tomatoes and would like to try my own hand at making slow roasted tomatoes. Any recipes you guys would suggest? The Tesco stuff comes in an olive oil and oregano (or something) drizzle and it's delicious, so I'd like to incorporate herbs into my homemade version too.

We just did tomatoes, 1/4 inch thick, olive oil and thyme. 325°F, flip after 30 minutes, remove when done (color change, not yet dry), about 45 minutes longer. Finish with salt and pepper. All you need really! Panini tonight with them.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm doing my monthly fast food tonight. Should I do:
A box of taco bell tacos
Fried chicken sandwhiches (gunthries)
A shitton of burgers from BK or Steak and Shake
pls help

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
BK and Taco Bell are hot garbage. Steak and Shake is like, okay I guess. Never heard of Guthrie's before, but looks pretty good.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Get a burger melt on sourdough with jalepenos from Steak'n'Shake and relive my college days for me.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Tonight I'm cooking my favorite semi-junk food, big batches of oven roasted chicken thighs covered in peanut butter and panko bread crumbs. What's a good vegetable to pair with that?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Jack B Nimble posted:

Tonight I'm cooking my favorite semi-junk food, big batches of oven roasted chicken thighs covered in peanut butter and panko bread crumbs. What's a good vegetable to pair with that?

Homemade fries.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The slow roasted tomatoes turned out great. I threw them into a mason jar and covered them with oil and stuck them in the fridge, but a few of the tomatoes keep floating up so a tiny bit of them sticks out into the air, is this alright? I also threw a bunch of chilli flakes into the oil. Will I be able to take spoonfuls out and use it to cook things with, cause the thought of throwing all this oil out kinda feels bad.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Qubee posted:

The slow roasted tomatoes turned out great. I threw them into a mason jar and covered them with oil and stuck them in the fridge, but a few of the tomatoes keep floating up so a tiny bit of them sticks out into the air, is this alright? I also threw a bunch of chilli flakes into the oil. Will I be able to take spoonfuls out and use it to cook things with, cause the thought of throwing all this oil out kinda feels bad.

Even without submerging in oil these will last at least a week. Do you need them to last longer? Because you'll get the usual warnings of anaerobic killer botulism if you're trying to store long-term.

Use dat oil, hell yeah

Qubee
May 31, 2013

BrianBoitano posted:

Even without submerging in oil these will last at least a week. Do you need them to last longer? Because you'll get the usual warnings of anaerobic killer botulism if you're trying to store long-term.

Use dat oil, hell yeah

I'll be sure to eat a lot this coming week then. I was hoping to get at least 3 weeks cause I made a real large batch, but I'm not complaining. I love this poo poo.

Only thing I'm not happy with is they didn't dry up as nicely as I was hoping. They were still a bit wet, even after being in the oven for 2 1/2 hours at 140c. Should I cut them into quarters instead of halves next time?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

TheCog posted:

Homemade fries.

Looks like I'm learning to make cajun fries, thanks.

So now:

The fries cook for 20 minutes at 450, but the chicken is, iirc, 20 minutes at 400. Is there anything I can do other than cooking them one after another?

Edit: nope, the chicken is 425 for 25.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 23, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Assuming you have two pans and they physically fit in the oven at once, google either "oven fries 425" or "chicken thighs 450"

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Qubee posted:

I'll be sure to eat a lot this coming week then. I was hoping to get at least 3 weeks cause I made a real large batch, but I'm not complaining. I love this poo poo.

Only thing I'm not happy with is they didn't dry up as nicely as I was hoping. They were still a bit wet, even after being in the oven for 2 1/2 hours at 140c. Should I cut them into quarters instead of halves next time?

I like 1/4 inch slices at 325°F / 162°C for ~ 90 minutes. Bonus they store and lay on sammies easier than halves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I survived eating the fermented pepper sauce, and celebrated with a pack of boneless beef short ribs that were on sale.

I had planned to put in chili but all the recipes call for bone in, they should still work ?

And what would be a good way to cook a couple of them up to put in congee?

e: I made some incredible chinese short ribs with my instant pot and put it over the congee.

Next I'm going to do a more traditional flavor with blended vegetable gravy over polenta

goodness fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 25, 2018