Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

LeJackal posted:

Turner and Banks are such dissimilar cases in so many respects in regards to sentencing that I don't think they make a good comparison, for example Banks chose to plea out while Turner fought his charges. They both are instructive and infuriating in their illustration of the misuse of the #metoo movement and attitude though.

If you want to make points about disparity in sentencing, I'd advise using aggregated statistics. They demonstrate the obvious fact in a way that can't be quibbled over like ancetodes can.

I did use aggregate statistics, look at the quote from the Jemele Hill article i posted above.

And you can absolutely compare Turner and Banks. Banks was looking at up to 41 years in prison if he went to court. He's a black man. Of course he'd take the plea deal.

Edit: I'll post again since it's a new page

quote:

If anyone has the right to complain about unproved allegations or cry #HimToo, it’s black men. A report released last year, examining 1,900 exonerations over the past three decades, found that 47 percent of the people exonerated were black, despite the fact that blacks make up only 13 percent of the U.S. population. In sexual-assault cases, blacks accounted for 22 percent of convictions, but 59 percent of exonerations.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mister Fister posted:

I know the ad is racist as gently caress (and the idea that conservatives give a gently caress about black men being falsely accused is ridiculous), but there is truth to the fact that black men, historically and presently, have no presumption of innocence when it comes to sexual crimes (or any crime really, but especially sexual crimes), while white men get away with it or are given slaps on the wrists when they are convicted.

Jemele Hill wrote a pretty good article about this two tier system of justice when it comes to sexual crimes for white men and black men:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/why-black-men-relate-brett-kavanaugh/572776/

When you look at a situation like Brock Turner, a wealthy white student at an elite institution like Stanford getting caught raping in broad daylight only getting 6 months, while a poor black high schooler like Brian Banks (who probably would have had a career in the NFL if not for the false conviction) being falsely accused of rape getting 6 years in jail, you can see the disproportionate treatment here. Both Turner and Banks were even convicted in the same state.

It's because the issue is really about relationship of power.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nancy Pelosi just suggested she sees herself as a “transitional” House speaker

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

“I have things to do. Books to write, places to go, grandchildren, first and foremost, to love.”

When one of the most powerful Democrats in the country cares deeply about climate change, children in cages, police brutality, and impending economic collapse. Old age can’t claim her soon enough.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
You know what you're lying about, we know what you're lying about, and you know we know it. So maybe take your trolling elsewhere? This dance gets really tiring.

The lie is the unstated assumption that the judicial system is impartial. Both men know the reality of the situation and made the move that was best for them - that move was different entirely due to the racial bias in the judicial system.

E: There's a lot more that could be said but it devolves rapidly into cheerleading.
vvvvv

Harik fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 19, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Ah, I remember when LeJackal earned a month probe and a ban for insisting that the evil feminists were misrepresenting rape statistics and men were the true victims.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

hopefully she's transitioning to the grave

The Democrats need new leadership desperately, and not someone in the same vein as Pelosi/Schumer

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 19, 2018

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Mister Fister posted:

I know the ad is racist as gently caress (and the idea that conservatives give a gently caress about black men being falsely accused is ridiculous), but there is truth to the fact that black men, historically and presently, have no presumption of innocence when it comes to sexual crimes (or any crime really, but especially sexual crimes), while white men get away with it or are given slaps on the wrists when they are convicted.

Jemele Hill wrote a pretty good article about this two tier system of justice when it comes to sexual crimes for white men and black men:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/why-black-men-relate-brett-kavanaugh/572776/

When you look at a situation like Brock Turner, a wealthy white student at an elite institution like Stanford getting caught raping in broad daylight only getting 6 months, while a poor black high schooler like Brian Banks (who probably would have had a career in the NFL if not for the false conviction) being falsely accused of rape getting 6 years in jail, you can see the disproportionate treatment here. Both Turner and Banks were even convicted in the same state.

I think the key takeaway is that this will continue to happen under either party. And someone from the party of Prevent Black People From Voting At All Costs using it in an attempt to trick people into voting for him is wicked.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/1053242480404189184

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

are we the baddies

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Harik posted:

You know what you're lying about, we know what you're lying about, and you know we know it. So maybe take your trolling elsewhere? This dance gets really tiring.

The lie is the unstated assumption that the judicial system is impartial. Both men know the reality of the situation and made the move that was best for them - that move was different entirely due to the racial bias in the judicial system.

E: There's a lot more that could be said but it devolves rapidly into cheerleading.
vvvvv

gently caress, did I almost get baited again? I really need to pay attention to names.

sexpig by night posted:

are we the baddies

I'm not, are you a Democrat?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Things like this get me temporarily excited, then I remember how it works in the real world. Best case, she announces retirement and steps down in like January of 2020, so she still controls the legislative agenda for the entire term while they 'build consensus' towards a replacement, who will probably be almost as old and lovely as she is but less good at raising money.

More likely she just doesn't run again in 2020 after spending 2 years setting it up for Hoyer.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

sexpig by night posted:

are we the baddies

pick ur team to find out:

quote:

Most local labor groups and the Massachusetts Democratic Party have come out in support of Question 1. Its backers include Boston Mayor Marty Walsh; U.S. Sens. Elizabeth Warren and Ed Markey; and U.S. Reps. Katherine Clark, Jim McGovern, Joe Kennedy III, and Michael Capuano. A majority of likely voters polled by Suffolk University and the Boston Globe in mid-September supported the ballot initiative.

quote:

Republican Gov. Charlie Baker recently said he’ll be voting “no” on the measure

DEWEY SQUARE GROUP, a prominent political consulting firm that often works with Democratic candidates, liberal groups, and labor unions, is leading the opposition campaign. Consultants from the firm have been paid over $800,000 since April for their efforts, according to state campaign finance data.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I'm feeling increasingly tempted to form an anonymous PAC that runs horrible caricature ads in "support" of Republicans. I wonder how much actual Republican money it could get from the Poe's law types.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

All of this Saudi drama just reminds me that any Democrat would be doing the exact same thing Trump is doing, had they been elected. It's a real bummer.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
It reminds me how that they wouldn't and this is way, way, worse than anything any other administration has ever done. Also I hate you.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

drilldo squirt posted:

It reminds me how that they wouldn't and this is way, way, worse than anything any other administration has ever done. Also I hate you.

Let me tell you about a country called Yemen.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/jeremymbarr/status/1053790615006175234
:suicide:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

kidkissinger posted:

All of this Saudi drama just reminds me that any Democrat would be doing the exact same thing Trump is doing, had they been elected. It's a real bummer.

I imagine Obama would've scolded the Saudis but then probably not actually did anything. I doubt he would've tried the blatant gaslighting Trump is trying, but that's largely because Trump is a moron and also surrounded by Bush Admin alumni who assume (apparently correctly) they can just keep pulling the same tricks until they die.

^ pffffft lol what an rear end in a top hat.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Lightning Knight posted:

I imagine Obama would've scolded the Saudis but then probably not actually did anything. I doubt he would've tried the blatant gaslighting Trump is trying, but that's largely because Trump is a moron and also surrounded by Bush Admin alumni who assume (apparently correctly) they can just keep pulling the same tricks until they die.

^ pffffft lol what an rear end in a top hat.

Oh I'm sure the spin would have been marginally more believable for sure.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1053817506962518016

That was a good episode of Citations Needed.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Roadie posted:

I'm feeling increasingly tempted to form an anonymous PAC that runs horrible caricature ads in "support" of Republicans. I wonder how much actual Republican money it could get from the Poe's law types.

Did you learn nothing from The Colbert Effect? If you say what they believe to own them they'll believe worse by next year.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Almost all of these “Democratic” consulting firms will lobby for whatever horrible poo poo if you throw enough money at them: see also, GPG and Saudi Arabia. Their Democratic-ness doesn’t extend much deeper than obvious social issues like gay marriage.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

King of Solomon posted:

That was a good episode of Citations Needed.

Oof. I'm sorry. Lol. I like Luke Savage, but man, actually hearing what he sounds like might mean I can never take him seriously again lmao.

Also I'm glad Adam Johnson is willing to state upfront that something like the West Wing can be a good show that also has terrible politics. I was rewatching 2012's Lincoln last night and thinking about this and it's very similar, to the point that I had to look up whether or not Sorkin was involved in the latter.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I'm from New Jersey and never saw the West Wing until after 2016. The first time I saw a clip on Youtube tiled TOBY ZIEGLER WILL OWN YOUR rear end linked on Twitter in an attempt to own me.

I fainted, and, after forcing myself to watch it again, I tried to figure out how to notify the ADL. I soon learned that Toby Ziegler's actor was in fact associated with the ADL. So I guess it worked.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

drilldo squirt posted:

*gestures wildly at Egypt*

do i have to explain further?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Main Paineframe posted:

*gestures wildly at Egypt*

do i have to explain further?

Can you explain for me, because I was more dumb and also still in high school during the Arab Spring. :shobon:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

Can you explain for me, because I was more dumb and also still in high school during the Arab Spring. :shobon:

the short form is Egypt elected it's first democratic government ever while Obama was president

it turned out the democratically elected government of Egypt didn't like us

we bankrolled a coup against them, going to special efforts to waive our usual "no giving massive injections of cash above-board to a faction in a country undergoing a civil war" rule

now they're back being ruled by a happy military dictatorship that's friends with us

hooray democracy

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the short form is Egypt elected it's first democratic government ever while Obama was president

it turned out the democratically elected government of Egypt didn't like us

we bankrolled a coup against them, going to special efforts to waive our usual "no giving massive injections of cash above-board to a faction in a country undergoing a civil war" rule

now they're back being ruled by a happy military dictatorship that's friends with us

hooray democracy

Ok, so I knew this broad story, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't more nuance or something specific I wasn't aware of.

I remember the Egyptian situation more than what was going on in Libya, tbh.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

During the Arab Spring, Egyptian dictator Hosni Mubarak was forced out of power by massive popular protests and was replaced by a democratic government. However, the Mubarak regime had been a reliable friend of the US and Israel, while the newly elected Morsi government was dominated by the Muslim Brotherhood, so the US wasn't really thrilled about that outcome.

Since Mubarak's overthrow and the transition to democracy had been administered and carried out by military officers appointed by Mubarak, and overseen by judges appointed by Mubarak, they were able to heavily constrain the fledgling democracy's ability to institute actual reforms. Long story short, Morsi's presidency only lasted about a year before the military sponsored a protest movement against him, and then used the protests as an excuse to carry out a coup, overthrow the democratic government, and seize control for themselves. Also, they outlawed the Muslim Brotherhood, imprisoned as many former politicians as they could find, and massacred protesters.

Now, US law requires the country to cut off foreign aid to any country whose democratic government is overthrown by a military coup. But many key players in the Obama administration far preferred the strongly anti-Islamist military dictatorship, whose foreign policy lined up much more with US interests. In fact, Secretary of State John Kerry publicly claimed that the coup was just "restoring democracy" by taking control away from the elected Islamist government. So Obama loopholed his way around that law in order to continue giving Egypt $1.5 billion in aid every year, most of which was military aid and included some free military hardware. After all, the law says that the president has to cut aid to countries that coup their democracies, but the president is the one who has to decide whether it's a coup or not, and the law doesn't say he has to do that in a timely manner. So he just indefinitely postponed the decision.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Yeah I remember us doing that, but I don't think Obama would sell us out to the Russians or Chinese or whoever else lets him touch an orb and you equating this complete garbage fire with what the democrats where doing then, which is also bad, you are huge idiot.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

Yeah I remember us doing that, but I don't think Obama would sell us out to the Russians or Chinese or whoever else lets him touch an orb and you equating this complete garbage fire with what the democrats where doing then, which is also bad, you are huge idiot.

Are you suggesting that doing nothing about the death of a journalist is worse than actively setting up the support for the Saudis in Yemen? Because we don't actually have to wonder what Obama's administration would act in the face of Saudi brutality.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

joepinetree posted:

Are you suggesting that doing nothing about the death of a journalist is worse than actively setting up the support for the Saudis in Yemen? Because we don't actually have to wonder what Obama's administration would act in the face of Saudi brutality.

I think both are bad, but one is bad now. I hope you can understand, friend.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Also trump is way, way worse than Obama on any conceivable metric and you're either racist or just trying to be an edgy poo poo if you say otherwise. Probably worse on metrics I don't know about also.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

drilldo squirt posted:

You weren't paying attention the entire rest of your life or something?

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

drilldo squirt posted:

Also trump is way, way worse than Obama on any conceivable metric and you're either racist or just trying to be an edgy poo poo if you say otherwise. Probably worse on metrics I don't know about also.

Obama is a white Hawaiian man who loved banks and torture and drone murdering american people of color.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
They're about the same, death to America, etc

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

drilldo squirt posted:

hahahahaha decorum libs.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

drilldo squirt posted:

Literally the only metric this is true for is the judiciary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

drilldo squirt posted:

Yeah, on foreign policy this hasn't actually been true yet. I'm not saying Trump would be opposed to backing coup's or regime change that turns a country into a mad-max hellscape, but so far he hasn't.

• Locked thread