Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrYenko posted:

It’s not my image, and I don’t know where it came from.

But :drat:

Hi folks, this is your captain speaking. I'm gonna have to ask you to sit tight and keep your seatbelts fastened for a little longer as our gate is presently occupied by... What looks like this same jet from earlier in the day... And we wouldn't want to cause any sort it weird time travel paradox. So sit back and relax, we'll have you moving shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Okay, after staring at this for several minutes, I'll bite: what is :drat:-worthy about this pic? Unless it's just that it's a slick as hell FMS.

I think it might have something to do with the 136 kt tailwind

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZHONQAMV48

simble
May 11, 2004

136kt tailwind?

e:fb

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Im indifferent to the reptilian overlords as a general platform, but I'm a single issue "Protect our precious bodily fluids" voter.

Platform needs a "Rainwater and pure grain alcohol ONLY" plank

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Okay, after staring at this for several minutes, I'll bite: what is :drat:-worthy about this pic? Unless it's just that it's a slick as hell FMS.

136 knot wind over North Carolina. Educated guess it's from Michael.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Charles posted:

136 knot wind over North Carolina. Educated guess it's from Michael.

More likely Florence.

Also:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

BIG HEADLINE posted:

More likely Florence.

Also:

The winds blowing that direction were farther west for Flo, Michael tracked over RDU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Finger Prince posted:

You'd be speculating as much as I'd be speculating how it happened. How about "hey Jim, I hear they're looking for someone to head up the f119 production line restart. You gonna apply?"
:v:"Nah, they make you sign all that classified poo poo on the military stuff and you know I can't keep my mouth shut."

:v:"hey guys I hear they may or may not be restarting the f119 production line but you didn't hear it from me, nudge nudge wink wink".

None of the above was ever classified.

The second one will absolutely get you a series of questions from someone with "ruin your career" power if it becomes known, and if that information is actually classified. Whether they pursue it or not depends on a few things...maybe it's a situation where a talking-to is enough. That was the case when I saw it at a bar in Vegas (dude showing off for a woman) but you're putting poo poo on the internet that is not otherwise on the internet, as far as I can find; that's a bit riskier than talking things up in a bar. I really don't understand why you're trying to fight this, when it's a bunch of other goons who have to deal with it trying to save a poster from supremely loving himself for life. It's happened before.

The worst case scenario is that he shuts the gently caress up and doesn't get to humblebrag about his security clearance. Oh no.

Once again: piecing together bits of unclassified information into something that confirms actual classified information (or information that WOULD BE classified) is a violation. It's called classification by aggregation, or data aggregation. In the case at hand, at least some of it is probably also FOUO, and might even fall under CUI. In short: why the gently caress are you going to dance along that line? There's no benefit except your loving somethingawful epenis growing another mm, while the risk is that you end up loving yourself and other posters along with you.

Alternately, next time post your real name so we can give specifics to the SSO/FSO/security shop and let them (and OSI, probably) sort out of any rules are broken.

Edit: I know it's not you FP, but it applies to anyone.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 21, 2018

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

shame on an IGA posted:

This came up in another thread a few days ago, I didn't know he ended up killing himself over it

Um, what

Link please

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah the correct thing to do is to get your superiors drunk and have them spill everything on twatter

what are they going to do, fire themselves?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'd like for the F-22B to be a thing, seems way too sensible for this timeline

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Godholio posted:

Once again: piecing together bits of unclassified information into something that confirms actual classified information (or information that WOULD BE classified) is a violation. It's called classification by aggregation, or data aggregation.

This is why I didn't post poo poo about the 22 landing with gear up at Elmendorf the other day until it hit the actual news sites, and why I haven't talked about what happened to the Puerto Rico C-130 that augured in, or the HH-60 that we lost earlier this year in Iraq, even though I've been privy to the crash investigations for both. When those articles actually are officially released, I'll do an effortpost, but until then I ain't saying poo poo.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The biggest downside to actually knowing stuff is not getting to speculate anymore.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Oh my God shut up about classified stuff and clearances. Literally no one cares about your TS and the beanpusher poo poo you might or might not know from it.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

This is worse than the TVIV Game of Thrones thread.

The Bad Thread will ride again.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Godholio posted:

The second one will absolutely get you a series of questions from someone with "ruin your career" power if it becomes known, and if that information is actually classified. Whether they pursue it or not depends on a few things...maybe it's a situation where a talking-to is enough. That was the case when I saw it at a bar in Vegas (dude showing off for a woman) but you're putting poo poo on the internet that is not otherwise on the internet, as far as I can find; that's a bit riskier than talking things up in a bar. I really don't understand why you're trying to fight this, when it's a bunch of other goons who have to deal with it trying to save a poster from supremely loving himself for life. It's happened before.

The worst case scenario is that he shuts the gently caress up and doesn't get to humblebrag about his security clearance. Oh no.

Once again: piecing together bits of unclassified information into something that confirms actual classified information (or information that WOULD BE classified) is a violation. It's called classification by aggregation, or data aggregation. In the case at hand, at least some of it is probably also FOUO, and might even fall under CUI. In short: why the gently caress are you going to dance along that line? There's no benefit except your loving somethingawful epenis growing another mm, while the risk is that you end up loving yourself and other posters along with you.

Alternately, next time post your real name so we can give specifics to the SSO/FSO/security shop and let them (and OSI, probably) sort out of any rules are broken.

Edit: I know it's not you FP, but it applies to anyone.

I'm not saying the guy (sorry guy) isn't an idiot, but if he doesn't hold clearance and just knows things going on where he works because it's pretty common knowledge inside the walls, no big deal right (outside of company NDAs etc.)? Like you're all assuming he's got security clearance, maybe because a bunch of you do and know the score, because he mentioned something might be classified. Doesn't mean it is.
I'll give you an example. Back in the early-mid 2000s a friend was on an assignment or something down in I think it was Wichita. He sees the hangar doors open across the apron from where he's working and he sees them fixing a huge laser pod on the front of a 747. Now he's a civilian, holds no security clearances, isn't even a US citizen. Of course he figures he's seen something pretty hush hush because loving laser beam on the front of a 747 wtf?! Of course when he gets back he tells everyone about it, that he's seen this secret weapon, and everyone is well impressed. Then it turns out there's articles about it and it's public knowledge, just obscure public knowledge. So two things. Either he saw it early in development (given the timeline and hindsight), when it was classified, and he told people about it but who cares because he's a nobody; or it wasn't classified, just not well known outside of the people directly and indirectly involved, in which case who cares because its a non-thing.
You work on the factory floor working on civilian stuff, you aren't subject to any classified security clearance, and I dunno, maybe you see they're starting to erect privacy screens around the part of the factory where the f119 engine used to be built. You've heard the talk about restarting f22 production. Pretty easy to put two and two together there. Maybe that job posting was on the lunchroom bulletin board too. Nobody has said anything about Pratt restarting the line, so maybe it's secret? But everyone knows about it so you blab like a dummy on the internet. So who cares? Then it turns out it's public knowledge anyway so who cares even more?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Oh my God shut up about classified stuff and clearances. Literally no one cares about your TS and the beanpusher poo poo you might or might not know from it.

crazypeltast52 posted:

This is worse than the TVIV Game of Thrones thread.

The Bad Thread will ride again.

I'll make up for it by posting airshow pictures tomorrow. Classified airshow pictures. Like as in I classified them as airshow pictures.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Finger Prince posted:

You work on the factory floor working on civilian stuff, you aren't subject to any classified security clearance, and I dunno, maybe you see they're starting to erect privacy screens around the part of the factory where the f119 engine used to be built. You've heard the talk about restarting f22 production. Pretty easy to put two and two together there. Maybe that job posting was on the lunchroom bulletin board too. Nobody has said anything about Pratt restarting the line, so maybe it's secret? But everyone knows about it so you blab like a dummy on the internet. So who cares? Then it turns out it's public knowledge anyway so who cares even more?

This is a really common situation, actually. There are programs where people working that program cannot say its acknowledged name because of compilation issues or a very conservative security classification guide, but the top brass at the company, who hold clearances, but not ones specific to that program, are releasing press releases that say come work XYZ program in Cityname, USA. Like the example used, they post the name of that program in job reqs and its an acknowledged program. Its different when you're the one expected to have read the class guide....and the class guide describes basically everything as U//FOUO or higher.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

I'm not saying the guy (sorry guy) isn't an idiot, but if he doesn't hold clearance and just knows things going on where he works because it's pretty common knowledge inside the walls, no big deal right (outside of company NDAs etc.)? Like you're all assuming he's got security clearance, maybe because a bunch of you do and know the score, because he mentioned something might be classified. Doesn't mean it is.

In his first post, he says *things*. Then he goes back and edits in: "Oh I guess it's not classified anymore!" The implication being that he knew about it before it was declassified (which by the way, I don't see any open source anything about it). The natural conclusion being that he was posting about it when he thought it was classified. Assuming he has a clearance doesn't seem far fetched. What blows my mind is the people taking the "DAAAAD HE'S TOUCHING ME!" "NO I'M NOT MY FINGER IS HALF AN INCH AWAY I'M NOT TOUCHING HIM!" defense to national security and trying to tiptoe around the rules, using tactics that are explicitly also against the rules.

We KNOW these boards are watched. Self-policing is our best ally here.

Edit: Peace offering for the annoyed (KC-135 from E-3, over Baghdad 2008):

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 21, 2018

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Godholio posted:

In his first post, he says *things*. Then he goes back and edits in: "Oh I guess it's not classified anymore!" The implication being that he knew about it before it was declassified (which by the way, I don't see any open source anything about it). The natural conclusion being that he was posting about it when he thought it was classified. Assuming he has a clearance doesn't seem far fetched. What blows my mind is the people taking the "DAAAAD HE'S TOUCHING ME!" "NO I'M NOT MY FINGER IS HALF AN INCH AWAY I'M NOT TOUCHING HIM!" defense to national security and trying to tiptoe around the rules, using tactics that are explicitly also against the rules.

We KNOW these boards are watched. Self-policing is our best ally here.

What, just cause one of the guys killed in Benghazi posted here and 2 of the psoters here were contacted for threats towards Barack Obama, you think this place is being watched? Like the trump administration has $10.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

No we know it because someone had their career destroyed and then committed suicide after discussing classified stuff in a thread

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A couple of careers. And the law enforcement stuff, and a few other things.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

hobbesmaster posted:

No we know it because someone had their career destroyed and then committed suicide after discussing classified stuff in a thread

Oh wow, is there a SAclopedia entry about this or something? What happened?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CarForumPoster posted:

Oh wow, is there a SAclopedia entry about this or something? What happened?

[Ask] me about nuclear detection TTPs/tech.

I think it was that one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The entirety of the forums are being archived in real time by the library of congress. lol if you think your posts here are somehow below the government's radar

Mortabis posted:

Remanufacturing the F-22's airframe with updated engines and avionics strikes me as the most logical way forward, seeing as there's nothing on the horizon that competes with the F-22.

Also if we get the F-22 back in production as an implicit acknowledgement that the F-35 will never do everything it's supposed to, that means someday we might see an F-22 mudhen and that would be just fantastic

hobbesmaster posted:

Speaking of the F-119; that B-1R concept was based on those, are there any other batshit insane things that people have pitched with those engines?

edit: X-32 doesn't count before anyone tries

I may or may not have classified information that the actual reason for restarting production on the F119 is because they're about to announce the F-23A

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sagebrush posted:

I may or may not have classified information that the actual reason for restarting production on the F119 is because they're about to announce the F-23A

Changelog, F-23A (revised 2018; last revision 1992):
- Changed nosewheel assembly from stock F-15E part to new Unobtainiumtm structure that has one hundred subcomponents, two made in each state.
[end log]

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Oct 21, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sagebrush posted:

Also if we get the F-22 back in production as an implicit acknowledgement that the F-35 will never do everything it's supposed to

The F-35 was never supposed to fill the role of the F-22. And the SLEPping of the F-15 and F-16 is already there to show that the F-35's failure to deliver has been at least partially acknowledged.

Before all the delays, there were supposed to be over a thousand F-35 in active service in full operational capacity today in 2018.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:gas:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

A little bird told me they are making more SR-71s, a fox told me not to believe the lies of the birds and the walls won't stop screaming

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Impossible, no one knows how to use a slide-rule any more.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
This isn't aeronautical insanty, but it's adjacent enough since it's a big turbine i guess, and it's definitely insanity :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqgZpy8rsvE

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

PainterofCrap posted:

I know you’re kidding but a plane I was working the electronics of was getting rewinged as part of a major upgrade. It was several poor shleps jobs to convert ~1960s mylars drawn with ink to cad and find suitable replacement materials...turns out the plastic washers of the 1960s, no longer off the shelf parts.

4 years of engineering school to do that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

Flight instructors still use e6b’s

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

I know you’re kidding but a plane I was working the electronics of was getting rewinged as part of a major upgrade. It was several poor shleps jobs to convert ~1960s mylars drawn with ink to cad and find suitable replacement materials...turns out the plastic washers of the 1960s, no longer off the shelf parts.

4 years of engineering school to do that.

That sounds very techpriest!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Also if we get the F-22 back in production as an implicit acknowledgement that the F-35 will never do everything it's supposed to, that means someday we might see an F-22 mudhen and that would be just fantastic

What? No. The Air Force's estimates on how many F-22s were necessary were including the F-35 being in service. 381 Raptors + 1400 F-35s or whatever they originally wanted. Remember that 381 was the bare minimum to replace the F-15C squadrons and still meet baseline combat requirements. We're currently sitting at somewhere around 130-150.

Edit: Beaten

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well of course they're going to build another thousand f-22s once they get the production line running. that guy's wink-wink post about building only 35 more was clearly just misdirection

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

PainterofCrap posted:

I went to a old guys museum (really just his collection) of time/measurement/math, and it was pretty sweet. He had about a billion slide rules, every surface was covered in mechanical clocks/adding machines/etc. He got really excited that I was under 35 and knew what a Curta was, and please let me show you the differences between the first and second versions. That's how I got a 45 minute lecture on the history and function of Curtas, mechanical adding machines, and made an old dudes day. (And why I got banned from picking outings while on vacation)

tldr: find an old engineer and ask a leading question.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Aeronautical instanity presents a recap on nuclear powered bombers and engines: https://youtu.be/DZHONQAMV48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

blugu64 posted:

(And why I got banned from picking outings while on vacation)

Not worth it.