Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Zyla posted:

i fell into a deep wikihole trying to understand all of the pvp poo poo in darksouls :psyduck:

The covenants are D&D alignments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

The Merkinman posted:

Just play on casual, or even newcomer. What's the point of a game if you're not having fun?

yeah dude. i started over on casual. it stings but god drat. the difference between casual and normal is also really badly balanced. my first save on normal, my play time for the first two levels was 90 minutes. on casual, my play time after the first 4 levels was just under an hour.

also, to all the new people playing dark souls, here is the best tip: don’t read poo poo online about how to play that game unless that’s what you need to do to enjoy a video game. the dark souls games are gifts, just learn by playing — as someone in the thread mentioned, being observant is rewarded in that game and it’s v fulfilling. use whatever build and weapon you want. it’s all viable, there are no rules. i am envious of you for being able to experience that for the first time

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

It was one of the few Wii U games that actually did make good use of the gamepad. I really liked that map, and it wouldn't be the same without it. Also there's a lot of stuff about the game that I would just like to see changed, flat out.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

open a door and immediately get smashed to bits. there’s no other feeling like it

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Is Dragon Quest Builders any good? Liked the demo but I'm curious how long it is.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

i haven’t been in the thread much but was anyone else as impressed as i was by the messenger? that’s an essential ‘play this game’ for me. the world was fun, the main mechanic was really well executed, gameplay was great, music was amazing. it was all-around dope. even the nuisance poo poo was pretty much negligible given how many things the game did right. i think that game is the most refreshing thing i’ve played on the switch since zelda

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'd rather get an HD remaster of Xenoblade Chronicles over a port of XCX that has zero things changed. There's a good game somewhere in XCX but it's deep down and requires the former team to have a long hard fuckin think about how to fix the myriad of poo poo in it

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

DLC Inc posted:

I'd rather get an HD remaster of Xenoblade Chronicles over a port of XCX that has zero things changed. There's a good game somewhere in XCX but it's deep down and requires the former team to have a long hard fuckin think about how to fix the myriad of poo poo in it

Same. I love Xenoblade Chronicles much more than XCX or XC2 and while I already own it on Wii and New 3DS I'd love a modern HD updated version on Switch.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

Is Dragon Quest Builders any good? Liked the demo but I'm curious how long it is.

hell yeah it is

the demo is just the very beginning of the first chapter of four, each of decent length with different types of recipes. then there's the free build mode where you just do whatever you want forever

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Little thingy I just figured out in Starlink. If you want to avoid having your engines hosed with on the approach to an extractor, you can just fly up really high and skirt the edge of space before diving in on top of it. I guess you could exit into space and reenter, but that would take longer

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

ungulateman posted:

Why is buying a grey switch with no games the same price as buying some neon puke one with fortnite :barf: and Minecraft :barf: :barf: pre-installed

The neon puke looks good irl, but for some reason it looks bad even on the box

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

It's fun as heck and pretty long. I'm not too far in world 2 at 15 hours of playing, though I like to make things look good so you might go through it faster.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ungulateman posted:

Why is buying a grey switch with no games the same price as buying some neon puke one with fortnite :barf: and Minecraft :barf: :barf: pre-installed

Minecraft is good, grandpa

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

My number one complaint with the switch right now is there’s no good scary game on it and it’s October right now. I wanna play a spook game on my switch for Halloween

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

My number one complaint with the switch right now is there’s no good scary game on it and it’s October right now. I wanna play a spook game on my switch for Halloween

Little nightmares

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Resident Evil Revelations 1 and 2 is on Switch.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
I love the Hori d-pad joycon so much. It just feels right. My Dead Cells game has taken a massive leap forward since I started playing with a real d-pad.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

trdn89 posted:

I love the Hori d-pad joycon so much. It just feels right. My Dead Cells game has taken a massive leap forward since I started playing with a real d-pad.

Yeah it's pretty good. My only complaint with the controller is that the minus button feels kind of bad.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Outlast and Layers of Fear boiiii

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
This Starlink game seems interesting, but I don't have kids and don't collect platic crap and just want to get the max amount of game for my cash. The Australian e-Store has a price of AUD$150 which seems somewhat excessive.

What do I actually need to play this game?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SeANMcBAY posted:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

psylent posted:

This Starlink game seems interesting, but I don't have kids and don't collect platic crap and just want to get the max amount of game for my cash. The Australian e-Store has a price of AUD$150 which seems somewhat excessive.

What do I actually need to play this game?

I don't know what AUD exchange rates are like, but that sounds like some sort of physical bundle. I don't know of any digital bundle that runs that much. Basic digital is $60 USD.

Edit: I think you're looking at digital deluxe. There should also be a seperate standard digital edition that runs whatever is normal for a full price game in Austrailia.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 21, 2018

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

SeANMcBAY posted:

If that's the one with the stupid mutant guy in it I couldn't beat on 3DS it can go straight to heck.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

THE loving MOON posted:

I don't know what AUD exchange rates are like, but that sounds like some sort of physical bundle. I don't know of any digital bundle that runs that much. Basic digital is $60 USD.

Edit: I think you're looking at digital deluxe. There should also be a seperate standard digital edition that runs whatever is normal for a full price game in Austrailia.

Other countries have really awful digital pricing. Europe is 80 euros for standard, UK is 70 gpb and I assume Australia is like a million

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I think the Aus standard edition is $100 for some reason, which is weird, because I swear at some point the eshop had 3 different versions of Starlink on the coming soon section priced $80/$100/$150.

But when I checked back a couple days before launch, the $80 one was straight up gone.

akiyba
Jan 28, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is Revelations 2 the only one with local co-op or does 1 also have local co-op?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Rev 1 leaned into the horror a bit but I remember the second one being way to actiony to be scary

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Starlink seems kinda interesting but what the gently caress is going with its pricing model? Standard edition is 80€, is it because it comes with DLC included? Not that you can even buy the game without DLC which is apparently 15€ per ship. What gives?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ungulateman posted:

Things that are good on the switch:

1) the neon colors
2) Fortnite
3) Minecraft

I don’t see the problem here :iiam:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Ledenko posted:

Starlink seems kinda interesting but what the gently caress is going with its pricing model? Standard edition is 80€, is it because it comes with DLC included? Not that you can even buy the game without DLC which is apparently 15€ per ship. What gives?

Yeah the pricing is awful but somehow still better than physical. It's also really good

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ungulateman posted:

Fortnite's free, but the bundle does include 1k v-bucks and several cosmetic items at least.

This is for the best tbh.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

katkillad2 posted:

I did exactly this technically, I just put the game in and when it asked to scan stuff in I hit the skip button and had all my stuff digitally in the inventory. Someone on the last page was complaining about things not being in their inventory though which sounds weird to me. I guess maybe if you scan things in rather than skip that initial prompt they aren't there until they are scanned in? Supposedly after a week you have to re-scan things in or they disappear, but I had no issue with that since I beat the game after about 15 hours. ( The 20 hour estimate to completion I saw thrown around seems pretty generous. )

That being said, I don't think Gamefly or anyone is going to offer to rent it. If you buy a lose copy on ebay it was probably stolen, or the rare chance someone really just wanted the Starfox toy.

Buying physical kind of blew up in my face. I just resell all of my games when I am finished with them to help justify costs. Sold mine on ebay, post office wanted $30 loving dollars to ship the thing in the box I had that it fit in. Instead they stuffed it in a flat rate box without packaging material, so it getting to the person I sold it to undamaged is probably unlikely. TLDR, by the end of fees/cost to ship and potential refund it would have just been better to buy digital or throw the toys away and sell the game by itself.

"Large chest ahead."

"Try using both hands."

That’s cool and all. But that doesn’t answer my question with what you can do with the physical game without the toys at all. My library will probably get this at some point and I’d like to check it out for free. But sometimes they are idiots and don’t include all the stuff that comes with it. Like we have that Animal Crossing Wii U game, but no Amiibo

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Frankly that game would need a major overhaul to be worth re-releasing. I sure as hell wouldn't buy it again without such an overhaul, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Has anyone had trouble getting used to the controls for Starlink? It lets you invert up/down on the right stick, but not left/right. I think having everything on that stick inverted would feel more natural. I'm getting used to it, but it's taking a while. What mode do you all play in?

Other than that, I'm enjoying the game a lot.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

DorianGravy posted:

Has anyone had trouble getting used to the controls for Starlink? It lets you invert up/down on the right stick, but not left/right. I think having everything on that stick inverted would feel more natural. I'm getting used to it, but it's taking a while. What mode do you all play in?

Other than that, I'm enjoying the game a lot.

I’ve gotten *more* used to them, but they could be so much better.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

When you write your letter, mention re4 for the switch please.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RZA Encryption posted:

When you write your letter, mention re4 for the switch please.

Oh my god, yes please.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.dualshockers.com/omega-labyrinth-life-interview-switch/

quote:

Giuseppe: The Omega Labyrinth series has always been on PlayStation Platforms. What caused the switch to the Nintendo Switch?

Yosuke Uchida: The Omega Labyrinth series first came out on PS Vita, and on PS Vita the player can directly touch the girls on the screen and have fun with that. On Nintendo Switch you can use it in handheld mode and you can still touch the girls, so that’s why we picked the Switch.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Inverting left and right on anything sounds pretty insane to me.

I started Okami and it had inverted camera left/right by default and I was like what the fuuuuuuuuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Heath posted:

Join the atomic purple cult and rejoice every time you turn the Joycons on and you can see the lights inside

I didn't need to know these existed and were easy to obtain :sweatdrop: