Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

theironjef posted:

Yeah they were. They just weren't in the games until Warcraft 3. I just figured from the white hair and purple eye glow that this was creative liberties.

Isn't that the same thing? Night elves had literally not been invented by the writers during the timeframe that the movie takes place in so including them would have been pretty weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

theironjef posted:

Jesus, really? Everything about that movie is the worst.

Haha!

You see, in ancient Thalassian, Quel'dorei means "Children of Noble Birth" owing to their descent from the high-born Kaldorei, the "Children of the Stars" or Night Elves in the common parlance! They chose to draw upon the mystical power of the arcane Sunwell after emigrating to the East after their exile during the Sundering, owing to their dependence on Arcane Magic that first allowed the demonic hordes of Sargeras's Burning Legion to invade Azeroth!! Meanwhile the Western Kaldorei abandoned the arcane arts to draw power from the natural world, obscuring the Well of Eternity that their species once drew upon via the planting of the World Tree Teldrassil!!! The Alliance did not encounter the Kaldorei until long after the fall of the city Quel'Thalas at the hands of the Scourge, during their evacuation to the West after the fall of Lordaeron and Dalaran!!!! The Kaldorei are in turn descended from the Dark Trolls who were transformed into otherworldly entities by their contact with the Well of Eternity, and abandoned worship of their Loa spirits in favor of the Moon Goddess Elune!!!!!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Andrast posted:

Isn't that the same thing? Night elves had literally not been invented by the writers during the timeframe that the movie takes place in so including them would have been pretty weird.

I mean, if the movie was called "Warcraft and we promise that we won't put anything from Warcraft 3 in here" then sure. Also if it had been made in 1995 instead of 2016. You know, like how The Hobbit movies had a lot of Saruman stuff in them and despite the movies being terrible Lee and Jackson didn't seem to get in any trouble.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

theironjef posted:

I mean, if the movie was called "Warcraft and we promise that we won't put anything from Warcraft 3 in here" then sure. Also if it had been made in 1995 instead of 2016. You know, like how The Hobbit movies had a lot of Saruman stuff in them and despite the movies being terrible Lee and Jackson didn't seem to get in any trouble.

Fool! The first wars were set in the Eastern Kingdoms, while the Night Elves still remained in isolation in the Western Continent of Kalimdor. To introduce the Night Elves would break the lore, and damage the canon!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

theironjef posted:

The Saruman/Gandalf stuff fits the timeline pretty well and explains why Gandalf just left in the middle of the journey so including it doesn't seem that weird.

Adding night elves would have just been pointless.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Covok posted:

Which is a better game: Savage Worlds or Fate Core? GURPS?

Savage Worlds is my favorite certainly. Both occupy about the same level of crunch (although FATE's is more abstracted of course) and roughly the same zone of character ability (i.e. exceptional human-scale).

Savage Worlds is a much better intro game for new players. With minimal work on the GM's part you can create interesting and approachable characters that are meaningfully distinct from one another and the "dice-as-trait" rule makes it very easy to just say "roll your X" and have players know what to do (protip: if you've got complete newbs, switch to color coding. Get a bunch of white d4s, blue d6s, green d8's, yellow d10's and red d12s, or whatever color you like. Give the player a character sheet with color-coded skills).

SW traditional elements (gear rules, grid movement, etc) are strong enough to appeal to trad gamers, but light enough to fade out if you want to do something more TotM.

FATE has become a lot more user-friendly over the years but can still be very intimidating to both completely new players and players coming from non-narrative games. Biggest issue is that it has so many different answers to the same question depending on what the GM wants for the game. It's a system that benefits enormously from having an entire session devoted to sitting down, describing expectations, setting boundaries and generally hashing out what sort of game you're about to play before character creation even begins.

It has more flexibility than SW and does a better job of moving outside of it's comfort zone of "badass normal". It's lighter take on trad elements can be very appealing for the right sort of genre and FATE in general is good at focusing on those areas.

FATE is not newb friendly (FAE even less so) despite getting recommended for it all the time. In general, FATE is the Undertale of RPG systems. It's legitimately good, even great, but it's got fans who treat it like it's the RPG messiah and will recommend it for bloody everything and the traditional response I've seen when someone asks "please don't suggest FATE" is "can I ask why you don't want FATE?". It's biggest flaw is its own fans.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Reene posted:

this strategy went really well for world of warcraft

ETA: I actually watched the 2000 D&D movie the other day and it was charmingly awful
"charmingly awful" is a good way to describe the warcraft movie, but probably only if you already know who everyone is and why they're important.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Len posted:

Thank you. I want to play a game based on the high stakes world of children's card games and Fate seems like the best framework to make that fit in.
This is absolutely what FATE is for. For example, "Screw the rules, I've got money" is an excellent aspect.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

i mean, if you were in charge of making money off of a movie would you rather follow what warcraft did or what jumanji 2 did

Depends on whether I'm from the Chinese branch of the company or not.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

oriongates posted:

FATE is not newb friendly (FAE even less so) despite getting recommended for it all the time. In general, FATE is the Undertale of RPG systems. It's legitimately good, even great, but it's got fans who treat it like it's the RPG messiah and will recommend it for bloody everything and the traditional response I've seen when someone asks "please don't suggest FATE" is "can I ask why you don't want FATE?". It's biggest flaw is its own fans.

This is the most inane take I've seen.

Fate is suggested frequently because it's a generic system that is explicitly designed for competent characters and action-heavy campaigns, which means it's designed in a way that works well with a lot of what people might want to run as a campaign. It doesn't work for everything but it works for a lot of things if the GM puts the work in. It will do Star Wars just as well as cyberpunk or anime highschool fistfights or Call of Cthulhu or whatever else you want, as long as those things fulfil the three basic principles behind Fate characters (proactive, competent and leading dramatic lives).

The huge downside to Fate is that Fate Core isn't a game, it's a system. It is explicitly meant to have the GM design a number of subsystems that offer specific mechanics with a greater level of detail for things that are important to the type of campaign being run. This is similar to GURPS, except GURPS has eleven billion supplements already out there so 99% of the time the only work you need to do for GURPS is pick out the supplements that have the rules you want to use. With Fate, there's a handful of existing Fate books that have some mechanics you might be able to reuse, but by and large you actually have to write the mechanics mostly-from-scratch yourself.

Fate can do a ton of things you might conceivably want to run as an RPG campaign and it can do them well, but just running vanilla Fate Core is going to be incredibly boring, and you have to do a non-negligible amount of work to get something that's thematic and mechanically interesting out of it. Both this and the fact that it's fairly different from "traditional" RPG systems means it can be somewhat newbie-unfriendly, that's true.

The newer "main" Fate games (Atomic Robo and Shadow of the Century) help here, since they introduce character "classes" with pre-set lists of stunts that people can pick from rather than having to write their own stunts.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lemon-Lime posted:

This is the most inane take I've seen.

Fate is suggested frequently because it's a generic system that is explicitly designed for competent characters and action-heavy campaigns, which means it's designed in a way that works well with a lot of what people might want to run as a campaign. It doesn't work for everything but it works for a lot of things if the GM puts the work in. It will do Star Wars just as well as cyberpunk or anime highschool fistfights or Call of Cthulhu or whatever else you want, as long as those things fulfil the three basic principles behind Fate characters (proactive, competent and leading dramatic lives).

The huge downside to Fate is that Fate Core isn't a game, it's a system. It is explicitly meant to have the GM design a number of subsystems that offer specific mechanics with a greater level of detail for things that are important to the type of campaign being run. This is similar to GURPS, except GURPS has eleven billion supplements already out there so 99% of the time the only work you need to do for GURPS is pick out the supplements that have the rules you want to use. With Fate, there's a handful of existing Fate books that have some mechanics you might be able to reuse, but by and large you actually have to write the mechanics mostly-from-scratch yourself.

Fate can do a ton of things you might conceivably want to run as an RPG campaign and it can do them well, but just running vanilla Fate Core is going to be incredibly boring, and you have to do a non-negligible amount of work to get something that's thematic and mechanically interesting out of it. Both this and the fact that it's fairly different from "traditional" RPG systems means it can be somewhat newbie-unfriendly, that's true.

The newer "main" Fate games (Atomic Robo and Shadow of the Century) help here, since they introduce character "classes" with pre-set lists of stunts that people can pick from rather than having to write their own stunts.

This actually is my problem with Fate and why I've been reading up on it. It's exactly what I need but I have to do some legwork to make it a full idea. I do have some Fate based games (Atomic Robo/Dresden/Spirit of the Century) but it's still just incredibly different from all my other RPG experience.

But man once I make it work right? It's going to be a lot of fun since Children's Card Games are basically just martial arts where "five point palm exploding heart technique" is replaced with "and I blow up the moon to get rid of the ocean"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Len posted:

This actually is my problem with Fate and why I've been reading up on it. It's exactly what I need but I have to do some legwork to make it a full idea. I do have some Fate based games (Atomic Robo/Dresden/Spirit of the Century) but it's still just incredibly different from all my other RPG experience.

But man once I make it work right? It's going to be a lot of fun since Children's Card Games are basically just martial arts where "five point palm exploding heart technique" is replaced with "and I blow up the moon to get rid of the ocean"

The best thing to do here is to ask yourself: what are the things that protagonists do in the source material, which both happen often enough and are narratively important enough to require dedicated rules?

Once you have a list of those, you have a list of the stuff you need to write (or reuse from other sources, check the Toolkits to see if there's anything in there you can repurpose) in order to run that game.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

I’m so drat glad you showed up to post several paragraphs about how you, personally, love to shitpost to counter people who are legitimately afraid about the bad actors in tabletop. Braver than any goddamn troops.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

I’m so drat glad you showed up to post several paragraphs about how you, personally, love to shitpost to counter people who are legitimately afraid about the bad actors in tabletop. Braver than any goddamn troops.

I know you’re a bit mentally disabled, and so have a harder time parsing things. While also going deliberately out of your way to parse things in bad faith, further making it harder to get you to comprehend something, but.

The point is that there is no fixing the D&D thread, and for most people there isn’t anything wrong with it in the first place as it’s just their personal vehicle to vent over the bad people, as opposed to just using the separate containment threads that exist specifically for venting over the bad people. There is no fixing the D&D thread, so just let people who enjoy it as it is continue to enjoy it, while outsourcing anything D&D 5E related not directly pertaining to Zak Smith or Mike Mearls or John Tarnowski to be posted about on whatever off-site of your preference. This is the best and simplest solution, rather than trying to talk over, or attempt to be more passive aggressive than, whatever autistic weirdo that wants to fixate on the same three topics to the deliberate exclusion of everything else.

The sooner people realize this the sooner we can stop caring about the D&D 5E thread, or indeed any other thread that carries over the same conflicts from grognards.txt

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
What the gently caress is wrong with you

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I decided to buy Ashes: Rise of the Phenioxborn today. It seemed cool and I love the artwork. Do we have a thread for it anywhere?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you

I mean, I just assumed you’d be down? A lot of people think it’d be better if people stopped supporting D&D 5E because Mearls did bad things and is vaguely involved with Zak. It’s better if 5E weren’t discussed or only discussed in a specific context of why it’s bad and why the people involved in it were bad. I think that’s what a lot of people prefer anyways, and the randoms going into the thread to ask questions or talk about their own games should just go somewhere else. For a while that was the solution, which is why Ettin made a separate 5E thread specifically for those random users to ask questions in, separate from the actual thread.

But it doesn’t seem that’s what you’re actually going for and in that case I apologize for making assumptions. If you think the D&D 5E thread is bad because it focuses on developer drama too much, how would you fix it? If, on the other hand, you think it isn’t aggressive enough about Zak, then yeah, the best thing to do is just tell people uninterested in Zak related discussion to simply post elsewhere.

This is the simplest and most drama free method.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I’ll never be down with people calling me mentally disabled you disingenuous shitpiece.

Take your own loving advice and go away.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

I’ll never be down with people calling me mentally disabled you disingenuous shitpiece.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I suffer from developmental disabilities that have stunted my motor skills and I'm autistic. Yes, you shitpiece, I am.

:shrug:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

:laffo: you're a loving idiot

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

"mentally disabled" is less the neutral term you (claim to) think it is and more a euphemism for "retarded"

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Elephant Parade posted:

:laffo: you're a loving idiot

I think he's probably aware of how lovely he's being, but being disengenuous to look less like a callous rear end in a top hat.

Though of course, he could also be an idiot.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Alright,

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think he's probably aware of how lovely he's being, but being disengenuous to look less like a callous rear end in a top hat.

Though of course, he could also be an idiot.

He did admit like one page ago that he posts deliberately awful things to derail discussions he doesn't like. This is all he's done for years now.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Joe Slowboat posted:

hence the parenthetical

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
How many probations from tradgames is Bedlamdan up to now? 19? 20? At what point is it going to be acknowledged that giving him a temporary timeout isn't improving the quality of his posts here?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kai Tave posted:

How many probations from tradgames is Bedlamdan up to now? 19? 20? At what point is it going to be acknowledged that giving him a temporary timeout isn't improving the quality of his posts here?

Three bans haven't worked either

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nuns with Guns posted:

Three bans haven't worked either
Can we do that thing where if he posts in trad games it's a no questions asked banning?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Splicer posted:

Can we do that thing where if he posts in trad games it's a no questions asked banning?

I've seen precedent for it in other sub-forums (and I think this one as well), but it's up to Ettin to decide and enforce it.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Still dealing with things, but for the record:

One of the problems with grognards.txt was that when there was nothing new to talk about, people were reposting old poo poo and making each other miserable instead of just not loving posting. I am against making threads to talk about specific industry weirdos because I think it would just turn into that poo poo again.

At the moment the industry thread is the place to talk about that sort of thing, though I've been debating whether to make that more explicit by renaming it the "Industry and Community" thread or something. I've also considered a separate TG Community thread but I'm not sure what a version of that that doesn't turn into grognards.txt would look like.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also the Industry thread is more than just bitching about idiot assholes, discussions in the past have involved boardgame counterfeiters, the ins and outs of game store management, international shipping and taxes, various traditional game focused awards and organizations, etc, to name a few. It's not like discussion of this stuff is being smothered by some insidious cabal of ruthless wokeness, if there's something to bring up in the thread then post it and you will probably get a discussion going. Somebody trying to turn tabletop roleplaying into the new eSports is absolutely on-topic for the thread, as is the fact that one of the first people they chose to showcase is a dude whose most recent 15 seconds of fame is talking about how the Holocaust had some silver linings.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kai Tave posted:

one of the first people they chose to showcase is a dude whose most recent 15 seconds of fame is talking about how the Holocaust had some silver linings.

what

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They hired Boogie, he of Centrist fame

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

One of the first...athletes? Competitors? Performers?...this RPGsports organization decided to showcase is some dude called Boogie who I gather used to be a famous internet video game person but these days his claim to fame is being a hot take machine, and one of his latest hot takes was "the Holocaust was bad yes, but the Nazis made medical advancements and Anne Frank got to write a compelling diary so it wasn't all bad." The organization retracted this several hours later with a vague "we're listening to your feedback" post, though it raises the question of what exactly their screening process for this certainly-doomed-to-failure endeavor is, or why in the world anyone would specifically seek this Boogie guy out in the first place given that there's a veritable surplus of beard-sporting white guys who make Youtube videos about games out there to choose from.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's like a million bearded white guys who would jump at the opportunity to play D&D for a living so why they picked hot takes guy is a mystery for the ages.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849301&pagenumber=85&perpage=40#post489048307

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Ah, but you have heard of him.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kai Tave posted:

who I gather used to be a famous internet video game person but these days his claim to fame is being a hot take machine

His claim to fame is basically being one of the first big vloggers. His videos go all the way back to '06, and there are probably older ones lost to the ages. He was a blatantly pathetic basementman who was nevertheless pretty cheerful about everything, so he sort of became a beloved mascot for many gaming vloggers and their fans. Of course there was always dumb bullshit going on, but for the most part he was only known as "the lovable fat guy of YouTube." No matter that you've only recently heard of him, he's an honest-to-god YouTube fixture and celebrity. He's not pulling in dozens of millions like Paul or PewDie, but he's still getting 100k views for lovely nothing videos and million-view hits every month or so. He makes a comfortable living rambling over Fortnite for three-hour stretches. So do many other people, sure, but they're not quite the cultural fixtures Boogie managed to become for whatever reason.

I'll go ahead and speculate: I think his ousting from DNDRPGSports has more to do with RPGSports being a small group of scared idiots who don't have a very firm idea of what they're doing. Even his Holocaust hot-takes mostly result in relatively small shitstorms on Twitter and a few hour-long unwatchable essays by gadflies on YouTube. None of this has really impacted him except insofar as he whines a little more about people being mean to him for his lovely opinions. If you're willing to pick up this shitbird in the first place, it's very hard to believe you'll punt his millions-of-potential-audience reach out your door over a few dozen tweets, unless you're unfamiliar with the scope of these things and think a handful of stern shamings is the deepest hellfire of the internet. Remember, these guys poured "Ooops, All Cease-and-Desists!" all over their original branding.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: New blogpost for The Next Project is up!

Today's blog post expands on some of the fluffier elements (Power sources & Knowledge skills) touching on how to use these tools to help shape your character, plus some talk about refinements to the mechanics which are upcoming

Basically, since the leveling/upgrading aspects are fairly new to the designs, the idea of using Power Sources as a knob to fiddle with in that space is also a new one. So I want to try and nail down the implementation, as the current draft gets refined.

If you're interested in talking about the game's designs, all goons are welcome to join the TNP Discord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Splicer posted:

Let him post on the Exalted thread, he's not annoying there.