Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
A little late, but the thread made me look for details again...N is for Nathan pulled the fire alarm before he started running, it's down and active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It's not depressing this time, I swear

https://twitter.com/jinnydraws/status/1053076179794694146

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Saga #54:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'm sure I've posted bits of this before-- albeit not, I don't think, in this thread, but today was, for many people, an extraordinarily lovely day, and for myself and many, many other trans, nonbinary, or GNC people I know, one in which all the arduous work of self-acceptance and confidence was dealt a pretty rough blow by atavistic old bigots thrashing around spitefully in their cultural death-throes. I otherwise had a long, busy day but when I got home a few hours ago and had a chance to decompress all I could think about was Captain America's queer friend Arnie Roth, from J.M. DeMatteis' 80s run. Arnie wasn't a perfectly written character-- like many gay characters of the period he was always ambiguously in the closet, and mostly existed as a magnet for misfortune and tragedy, but he's always stuck with me.

I think part of it is the way he was drawn-- he didn't look like a superhero, and he didn't act like one. He's lucky; his first appearance was drawn by Mike Zeck, who draws him as a stout, chubby, balding guy, all soft edges, but with this big smile and round eyes. In a nice touch, he "clocks" Steve Rogers in a certain sense right away-- sees this guy on the street and instantly recognizes his old friend from before the war, and knows he can turn to him for help in getting his "roommate" Michael back from some bad guys. He doesn't look like anyone else in the comic-- he looks unglamour, unbeautiful, and more than that, he looks happy with it. Then later Michael dies (because of course the gay guy's lover dies in a comic book from the 80s), and at the funeral Arnie does something I'd never seen in a superhero comic before. He tells Cap angrily that he's living in a fantasy-- and you know, he is. His problems are larger than life and most of them can be solved by throwing a shield at it. Steve Rogers is lucky-- for all the scrapes he gets into, he also gets to fight his way out of them, and at the end of the day, beneath his costume and his powers, he gets to feel normal.

A bunch of issues later, in Captain America #296, Arnie gets captured by the Red Skull, who, in the definitive Red Skull story imo, is using his dying days to enact baroque schemes predicated only on leaving the world with a maximum of pointless, superfluous cruelty. And what he does to Arnie is indeed cruel. Cap finds him dressed up in a foppish suit, in a crude, campy approximation of a Weimar cafe, his face smeared with make-up, giving a brain-washed monologue that surely sounded coldly familiar to many queer kids first encountering this issue: I'm not right. I'm something evil and disgusting. I shouldn't be here. And say what you will about the weaknesses of Arnie's overall trajectory-- after all he plays no part himself in getting out of his scrape but is passively rescued-- I'll never forget reading Captain America's response, holding his friend and telling him he was valued and loved, and denouncing the Actual Nazi Villains who had the vicious audacity to try to make him feel otherwise. If the whole long (and very DeMatteis) Grand Guignol of sadism that makes up this arc is my definitive Red Skull, these pages are my definitive Captain America:

Captain America is a character I often dislike. He can be easy to write as tacky, or even monstrous. Sometimes it's hard to root for the hot blonde soldier wearing the flag as pajamas. What my favorite Cap writers get, though, is that his accessory of choice is a shield for a reason. It's not just to throw around and biff people with-- a shield is to protect, and Captain America, this dumb, cis, white caricature of American privilege and yes, at his worst, bravado, is at his best using his strength and his power to shelter and protect the people upon whom the vultures of his country are descending. This administration's petty, pointless attempts to rhetoricize and legislate trans lives out of civic existence is a scheme right out of the DeMatteis' Red Skull's playbook-- a vindictive spasm by a body clinging spitefully to the last vestiges of an ugly life of power abused and unearned. As a trans person I spent much of the day, as I drove around and tried to do my list of errands without breaking down or puking, like Arnie-- like the persistent red thumb of bigotry and evil had finally pressed down on me hard enough to make something inside of me pop. And it's stupid-- this is a comic I read decades ago when I was too young to know poo poo about poo poo, and which in so many ways is, I keep telling my grad-school-rear end self, reductive and problematic-- but when I got home I found I could remember Cap's little speech in that last scan almost word for word, and in looking it up out of idle curiosity I found myself totally blubbering in my living room, all this anger and fear I'd been cooping up all day. It helped.

And if you're a cis person, or if you're a white person, or a straight person, or a man, or someone with citizenship, or with access to healthcare, or with two legs that work, or have one of any other number of bulwarks and advantages that surely anyone reading this, myself included, lucked into by idiot luck, please, today and tomorrow and whatever godawful days ahead, please be like this version of Captain America. You have a shield, and if you're heroic you can use it not only to bash the "pariahs [...] the disease" of predatory, sneering structural power, but to draw the marginalized and vulnerable people you love close to you, and to offer them some small, sturdy radius of protection and safety and warmth.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 22, 2018

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Archyduke posted:

I'm sure I've posted bits of this before-- albeit not, I don't think, in this thread, but today was, for many people, an extraordinarily lovely day, and for myself and many, many other trans, nonbinary, or GNC people I know, one in which all the arduous work of self-acceptance and confidence was dealt a pretty rough blow by atavistic old bigots thrashing around spitefully in their cultural death-throes. I otherwise had a long, busy day but when I got home a few hours ago and had a chance to decompress all I could think about was Captain America's queer friend Arnie Roth, from J.M. DeMatteis' 80s run. Arnie wasn't a perfectly written character-- like many gay characters of the period he was always ambiguously in the closet, and mostly existed as a magnet for misfortune and tragedy, but he's always stuck with me.

I think part of it is the way he was drawn-- he didn't look like a superhero, and he didn't act like one. He's lucky; his first appearance was drawn by Mike Zeck, who draws him as a stout, chubby, balding guy, all soft edges, but with this big smile and round eyes. In a nice touch, he "clocks" Steve Rogers in a certain sense right away-- sees this guy on the street and instantly recognizes his old friend from before the war, and knows he can turn to him for help in getting his "roommate" Michael back from some bad guys. He doesn't look like anyone else in the comic-- he looks unglamour, unbeautiful, and more than that, he looks happy with it. Then later Michael dies (because of course the gay guy's lover dies in a comic book from the 80s), and at the funeral Arnie does something I'd never seen in a superhero comic before. He tells Cap angrily that he's living in a fantasy-- and you know, he is. His problems are larger than life and most of them can be solved by throwing a shield at it. Steve Rogers is lucky-- for all the scrapes he gets into, he also gets to fight his way out of them, and at the end of the day, beneath his costume and his powers, he gets to feel normal.

A bunch of issues later, in Captain America #296, Arnie gets captured by the Red Skull, who, in the definitive Red Skull story imo, is using his dying days to enact baroque schemes predicated only on leaving the world with a maximum of pointless, superfluous cruelty. And what he does to Arnie is indeed cruel. Cap finds him dressed up in a foppish suit, in a crude, campy approximation of a Weimar cafe, his face smeared with make-up, giving a brain-washed monologue that surely sounded coldly familiar to many queer kids first encountering this issue: I'm not right. I'm something evil and disgusting. I shouldn't be here. And say what you will about the weaknesses of Arnie's overall trajectory-- after all he plays no part himself in getting out of his scrape but is passively rescued-- I'll never forget reading Captain America's response, holding his friend and telling him he was valued and loved, and denouncing the Actual Nazi Villains who had the vicious audacity to try to make him feel otherwise. If the whole long (and very DeMatteis) Grand Guignol of sadism that makes up this arc is my definitive Red Skull, these pages are my definitive Captain America:

Captain America is a character I often dislike. He can be easy to write as tacky, or even monstrous. Sometimes it's hard to root for the hot blonde soldier wearing the flag as pajamas. What my favorite Cap writers get, though, is that his accessory of choice is a shield for a reason. It's not just to throw around and biff people with-- a shield is to protect, and Captain America, this dumb, cis, white caricature of American privilege and yes, at his worst, bravado, is at his best using his strength and his power to shelter and protect the people upon whom the vultures of his country are descending. This administration's petty, pointless attempts to rhetoricize and legislate trans lives out of civic existence is a scheme right out of the DeMatteis' Red Skull's playbook-- a vindictive spasm by a body clinging spitefully to the last vestiges of an ugly life of power abused and unearned. As a trans person I spent much of the day, as I drove around and tried to do my list of errands without breaking down or puking, like Arnie-- like the persistent red thumb of bigotry and evil had finally pressed down on me hard enough to make something inside of me pop. And it's stupid-- this is a comic I read decades ago when I was too young to know poo poo about poo poo, and which in so many ways is, I keep telling my grad-school-rear end self, reductive and problematic-- but when I got home I found I could remember Cap's little speech in that last scan almost word for word, and in looking it up out of idle curiosity I found myself totally blubbering in my living room, all this anger and fear I'd been cooping up all day. It helped.

And if you're a cis person, or if you're a white person, or a straight person, or a man, or someone with citizenship, or with access to healthcare, or with two legs that work, or have one of any other number of bulwarks and advantages that surely anyone reading this, myself included, lucked into by idiot luck, please, today and tomorrow and whatever godawful days ahead, please be like this version of Captain America. You have a shield, and if you're heroic you can use it not only to bash the "pariahs [...] the disease" of predatory, sneering structural power, but to draw the marginalized and vulnerable people you love close to you, and to offer them some small, sturdy radius of protection and safety and warmth.

Oops, this made me tear up at work.

Thank you for your words, and the reminder to use my privileges for good in these godawful lovely days.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

That post was worth the entire ten dollars I paid for this website.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Jim the Nickel posted:

Oops, this made me tear up at work.

Thank you for your words, and the reminder to use my privileges for good in these godawful lovely days.

:same:

I don't have cis privilege any more, but by god I'm going to flex all my other privileges as much as I can.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I don't know what it says about the state of things where being a white, able-bodied, cisgendered male can be considered a superpower. :(

Nevertheless, if my privilege can be used to aid those who've become disenfranchised or marginalized, then so I shall.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

IronSaber posted:

I don't know what it says about the state of things where being a white, able-bodied, cisgendered male can be considered a superpower. :(

Nevertheless, if my privilege can be used to aid those who've become disenfranchised or marginalized, then so I shall.

That's been true for pretty much the entirety of western history, those panels were published during the AIDS crisis in the 80s where 10s of thousands of people (mostly gay or bisexual men) died while the president refused to acknowledge the disease even existed.

Michael, Arnold's "roommate" almost certainly died of AIDS.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 23, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He actually died from a ludicrously complicated trap involving Baron Zemo and Arnim Zola's clone.

Fun fact, the movie version of Bucky, where he was Cap's friend growing up and protected him from bullies, is lifted wholesale from Arnie's backstory. He was the older, good looking tough guy that Steve looked up to, and then he ended up as essentially an outcast because he liked men, so his life wasn't particularly great after Steve disappeared.

Less fun fact: Jim Shooter wouldn't allow JM Dematteis to explicitly say Arnie is gay (these are comics for children!), so instead it's just very heavily implied, which unfortunately undermines the message a little. I read that story as a young kid and the subtext completely passed me by.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 23, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kate Beaton just officially ended her webcomic "Hark, a vagrant!", dedicating the archives to her sister who passed away at the age of 38 a few months ago. So it only seems appropriate to repost this:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Who's chopping onions?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I know somebody says this every year, but 2018 is the loving worst.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

biracial bear for uncut posted:

2018 is the year I stopped lying to myself and accepted the fact that I'm transgender, lost 40 pounds, and found joy and direction in my life that I couldn't ever conceive of before; I feel like I actually have a future for the first time in my life. It's honestly been the best year of my life, even with all the garbage going on in the world.

I don't say that to diminish all of the poo poo happening, or to invalidate or refute the suffering of others for whom the year has been less kind-- just to remind y'all that there is joy and there is progress and there is happiness even in this shitshow, and that's what you have to hold on to and focus on.

I'm tired as gently caress and maybe (probably) this post is less clear in writing than it was in my head, but the point is don't let the bastards grind you down.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

But man... Shadow Priests and Prot Warriors huh?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Cabbit posted:

2018 is the year I stopped lying to myself and accepted the fact that I'm transgender, lost 40 pounds, and found joy and direction in my life that I couldn't ever conceive of before; I feel like I actually have a future for the first time in my life. It's honestly been the best year of my life, even with all the garbage going on in the world.

I don't say that to diminish all of the poo poo happening, or to invalidate or refute the suffering of others for whom the year has been less kind-- just to remind y'all that there is joy and there is progress and there is happiness even in this shitshow, and that's what you have to hold on to and focus on.

I'm tired as gently caress and maybe (probably) this post is less clear in writing than it was in my head, but the point is don't let the bastards grind you down.

This definitely isn't the thread for it, but I meant more in the sense of "bad poo poo keeps happening to cool and good people" than the "All is misery and pain and there is no hope!" sense.

I mean, my life is relatively awesome right now compared to earlier years. I'm currently working out a notice at the lovely company I've worked for the last 18 years of my life, about to start work at an awesome (on paper) company that has much better pay and benefits than where I am now, and for the first time in my adult life I've got the dilemma of trying to figure out whether the person I'm seeing is someone that would be interested in a more committed relationship than we have now, or just being happy with the way things are because I don't want to gently caress it up if she's happy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bad stuff has happened but I got married, found a wonderful new job and bought a house.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rhyno posted:

Bad stuff has happened but I got married, found a wonderful new job and bought a house.

Meanwhile, children are literally in concentration camps in the US and the US President is threatening military action against a 7,000 person refugee caravan instead of asking the question "What are they running from?!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Meanwhile, children are literally in concentration camps in the US and the US President is threatening military action against a 7,000 person refugee caravan instead of asking the question "What are they running from?!"

Oh I thought we were just talking about our personal experiences with 2018. My bad.

Yeah 2018 can suck a dick.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
2018 is the year my wife was diagnosed with a brain tumour.

2018 is the year I married my wife two days before she had to go in for surgery.

2018 is the year my wife survived.

For better or worse, it’s going to be a year I remember for the rest of my life.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm finally sleeping well now that I have the proper medications and can focus on the rest of my life, decided to exercise regularly and am getting into shape and spent the year taking a new direction on what to work with while boosting my previous skills and for the first time I feel like I didn't mess that last one up and might actually end up earning some decent money.

But I'm also going to wake up in a fascist authoritarian State in 2019 so there's that.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
In 2018 I was upgraded from employee to partner at my workplace. I lost about one quarter of my bodyweight, and ran my first marathon. I had a blast over the summer.

In 2018 I started HRT, and came out to everyone I care about, and they were all accepting.

In 2018 I decided to go into activism, "thanks" to my country electing a loving fascist bunch of chucklefucks to government, and "thanks" to Trump.

loving bring it, 2019. I ain't scared of you.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rhyno posted:

Oh I thought we were just talking about our personal experiences with 2018. My bad.

Yeah 2018 can suck a dick.

Yeah, I'm actually doing pretty well in my personal life, it's when I look outside my little privileged social bubble that I realize that society is pretty hosed up and everything I love can be destroyed in the blink of an eye if we aren't really active on November 6th to send the message that what is going on is not OK and should never have happened in the first place.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

this page was great. you're all doing the best you can and I am genuinely happy to have read how your lives have a positive trajectory

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Mikl posted:

l
loving bring it, 2019. I ain't scared of you.

I really like this. At the end of the last couple years I’ve had this attitude of “well, maybe this next year will be better.” I was disappointed each time, but I’d hate to let a couple bad years turn me into a pessimistic person, so I also don’t want to be gloomy going into New Years.

Well you know what? gently caress you, 2019. You’re going to be terrible, but I’m going to take everything you throw at me, and I’m going to be even stronger in 2020.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Cabbit posted:

Congratulations, that's awesome. I'm so stoked for you (and for Mikl) and it's really wonderful to see other people in the same early stages of this journey feeling similarly.

I started medically transitioning this year too, with the love and support of my wife, my friends, my dissertation committee, and even if my family isn't on board I'm still lucky to have the support system I do. I spent a lot of years terrified and ashamed and now I'm not, and honestly, part of it is as a result of coming to campus in November 2016 and wondering how I could tell my students to be brave and stay strong while lying to their faces, and what sorts of difficult steps I'd have to take in order to actually live honestly. And the first steps were loving hard. But hey-- now I'm on HRT, my skin looks great, and I get to wear wear cuter shoes. The other day an old guy called me ma'am and held the door at Chipotle, and a coworker thought I was 25, so gently caress the fascists.

It feels good to be able to be a role model to students in a way I couldn't before-- like, I'm here, I'm doing what I love for a living, I'm alive, you can be too. If I'm a weird freak to rando pricks on public transportation, I can live with that if it one undergrad can look at me and say "if this dipshit can make it, so can I."

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
2018 is the year I got fired from work and was told I'm to poor to qualify for unemployment.
2018 is the year I got my rear end into gear self-taught myself the basics of web development.
2018 (maybe early 2019) is the year I start my new career, for the first time ever doing something I feel is worthwhile and rewarding.

Bring it 2019. I'm gonna kick your rear end.

For years I've been calling the years...
2016: The Year of Bad Decisions.
2017: The Year of Predictable Consequences.
2018: ... I dunno yet.
I've been calling it The Year of Horrfied Reactions, but if all this resistance turns into positive results it may be The Year of <something> Resolve.

[edit] gently caress that horrified poo poo.
All y'all's stories: 2018 didn't beat us. It really is the year we starting pulling it together and great things happened.

Moto42 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 24, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Everything in my life has become steadily worse since 2013 and I'm mainly continuing out of spite.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Lurdiak posted:

Everything in my life has become steadily worse since 2013 and I'm mainly continuing out of spite.

Hey, that's as good a reason as any and better than some.

In 2018 I got METAL WORLD— my tabletop RPG— into a state ready for playtesting, which I'm going to do more of next month. In fact, its Kickstarter is pretty much only waiting on me being able to afford even a meager supply of promotional art, which may happen next month depending on bills. My daughter's decided to get on the Student Council at her middle school. Things are fairly good for me, even if money is tight. However, I'm a hobbit in the Shire. That is to say, I'm a straight, cisgendered white guy. The monstrosities outside my relatively peaceful bubble aren't hitting me like they are so many others.

The Kavanaugh confirmation made me realize something needs to be done with our Senate representation in that Mike Rounds is a spineless worm who serves only as a mouthpiece for the RNC. I've decided that come 2020 I'll present myself as a candidate for Rounds's Senate seat so he doesn't go unchallenged like John Thune did when he last ran for reelection. We need people who will stand up to what's going on. I can't just stay in the Shire. Someone needs to go to Mordor and if I have to be the one to attempt the journey to protect the vulnerable, I will.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Have you tried goonsourcing some free artwork? I could see "draw the most metal thing you can think of" catching on as long as you're upfront about it.

2018 was good too me, which makes me feel guilty. I need to volunteer more.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

poly and open-minded posted:

this page was great. you're all doing the best you can and I am genuinely happy to have read how your lives have a positive trajectory

In 2017 after four people in my immediate life circle died in a span of 18 days I decided (after a month long bender) that I had to make a change which resulted in a loss of over 50 lbs. Over 1/4 of my body weight at the time.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Moto42 posted:

2018 is the year I got fired from work and was told I'm to poor to qualify for unemployment.
2018 is the year I got my rear end into gear self-taught myself the basics of web development.
2018 (maybe early 2019) is the year I start my new career, for the first time ever doing something I feel is worthwhile and rewarding.

This is great to see, because this is the trajectory I'm on, sans the whole having been employed in the first place part. You're inspiring.

quote:

[edit] gently caress that horrified poo poo.
All y'all's stories: 2018 didn't beat us. It really is the year we starting pulling it together and great things happened.

:unsmith:

Archyduke posted:

Congratulations, that's awesome. I'm so stoked for you (and for Mikl) and it's really wonderful to see other people in the same early stages of this journey feeling similarly.

It's still catches me off guard how much happier I am, just from the act knowing and accepting myself. I'm stoked for whatever comes next. :)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I don't really have an uplifting 2018 story. Or 2017, or 2016, or anything. I'm just doing the same thing I've always done, and because of my disability and the restrictions on my life because of it and the rules I have to follow to keep the disability benefits that we use to be able to pay the rent, I can't really change anything to a meaningful degree.

But I make a few people important to me happy, in small but important ways. That's enough for me.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 24, 2018

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I don't really have an uplifting 2018 story. Or 2017, or 2016, or anything. I'm just doing the same thing I've always done, and because of my disability and the restrictions on my life because of it and the rules I have to follow to keep the disability benefits that we use to be able to pay the rent, I can't really change anything to a meaningful degree.

But I make a few people important to me happy, in small but important ways. That's enough for me.

Not everyone is able to fight back to the degree they want. Some of us just have to survive and don't have the resources for anything else. That's fine, too. You're doing great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Everything Counts posted:

Not everyone is able to fight back to the degree they want. Some of us just have to survive and don't have the resources for anything else. That's fine, too. You're doing great.

On this note, it is never shameful to ask for help if you can't handle what the world has given you.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
2018 is the year my daughter was born.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

2018 is the year my daughter was born.

:yotj:

Congratulations! Here's a word of advice. You know that bit in the original Tremors where they tell the guy he needs to get off the ground so he sits on a tire, then while they're telling him that's not high enough and he gets eaten? That's your stuff. Once your kid can walk all your important stuff needs to go up— higher up than you think a child can reach. Why higher? They can always reach higher somehow. Always.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ManiacClown posted:

:yotj:

Congratulations! Here's a word of advice. You know that bit in the original Tremors where they tell the guy he needs to get off the ground so he sits on a tire, then while they're telling him that's not high enough and he gets eaten? That's your stuff. Once your kid can walk all your important stuff needs to go up— higher up than you think a child can reach. Why higher? They can always reach higher somehow. Always.

My brother’s kids were like mini Spider-Mans. And always when you’re not looking and especially with cribs.

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe
Thanks for everyone sharing why they fight and what has been good for them. For me it has been discovering that Tom Taylor can write characters I normally don't love and make them into my favorites. Take Jean Grey.

Spoilers for x-men red #9

Whoops while no one was watching tom taylor went and wrote the best jean grey comic. Cassandra Nova has been inciting Mutant hate to cause a war with mutants. Jean finally goes to confront her.

Bonus Gabby, proving she is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Gabby :3: