Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Game 7

If you want to skip my analysis of pitchers/lineups the game starts at 7:06

suggest spoilering posts for a while

bewbies fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Impressive that you got Vin Scully to come do this project.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
That was a pretty good narration, big fan of how it turned out

:woop:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

RIIIIIIINGZ

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
BACK BACK BACK BACK :toot:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

*sprays champagne all over the thread*

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ice Fist posted:

*sprays champagne all over the thread*

I'm the guy not wearing goggles and in severe pain from the booze getting in my eyeballs.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
site updated

will make full off-season post later tonite or tomorrow

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
"The tattered remains of Giancarlo Stanton"

So Giancarlo Stanton? :razz:

Also that NYY team is a collective year older than the 2018 Giants. The Yankees should be charged with grave robbing within the simulation.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:toot:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Artix posted:

:emptyquote:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Artix posted:

:woop: :woop: :woop: Man it's extra satisfying to see the Yankees fail miserably

Regarding average age on a World Series contender: the 2004 Boston Red Sox had an average age of 31.6 (Theo Epstein was all about bringing in veteran leadership), which I *think* is the record. Or at least it's the record in all the teams I was able to find in roughly 60 seconds of Googling; I won't be doing more than 60 seconds, because then it feels like work.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 20, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2023 Offseason

We got it done! I did not know before yesterday that SD had not ever won a championship in anything! SD is a city close to my heart IRL and this would actually be really, really cool if it happened.

We cleared $200m in revenue last year and spent only $142m. You're welcome, owner.

Our budget for this season is $174 million. Our projected payroll is about $150m, which is 9th in the league. That puts us at a deficit this year of about $8.6 million.

There is an Expansion Draft this year too, so look forward to losing some decent young players! Say hello to the San Antonio Minutemen and the Jacksonville River Sharks!

As you can see, we upped our dinger game a whole lot. Wallner's season was pretty miraculous, and Nagamatsu wasn't far behind. That really helped make up for a subpar season from FTJ, and injuries to Royce Lewis and Seth Beer.

The staff was similarly brilliant. Gore/Quantrill/Baez are looking like a Zito/Mulder/Hudson esque group (or dare I say...Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz) and I think that extending Gore should be a high priority for us...he's the best pitcher in the game already at age 24. Baez was fantastic in coming back from a destroyed elbow. Booh/Munoz/Feltman look like the basis for a bullpen front end for a long time too.

VOTE

Issue 1: The Money

We've basically tapped out our market. I can raise ticket prices again (we sold out nearly every game), but it looks like this ~$175m budget is about as high as it will go with this owner. With that in mind, we need to decide on a general approach to how we'll deal with this going forward.

A - Ride our guys until they leave in free agency. This will likely push our payroll over $200m pretty soon. The game lets this happen, but it won't let you make any moves, either signings or extensions, if you're over budget. We won't be able to extend anyone or make many offseason moves, but we'll keep the core in place.

B - make the tough calls to get under the budget. This is going to be unpleasant and will require us to trade good, young, popular players once they hit big arb numbers.

Issue 2: Extensions, Options, Arbitration

The only arbitration contract I think we should decline is Thairo Estrada; he spent most of the year in AAA anyway.

We need to decide on Joey Lucchesi's option. This is...a tough call. He's a good pitcher, and he's getting paid less than he's worth. We also need to cut costs (if we decide to cut costs). We'd have a perfect backfill for him in Matthew Thompson, if only his arm didnt explode. Behind him, Jacob Nix might be ready...he's more of a RP prospect, but he could definitely fill a #5 spot. I'd say exercise the option, and then trade him in the offseason for prospects...and hope that Matt Thompson rehabs well. Dakota Hudson could also potentially start, he's a heck of a player too.

We won't be extending anybody for the time being, but I think we should try and free up money to extend MacKenzie Gore as our top offseason priority. Pitchers like that are rare and valuable.

Issue 3: Trades

Time for some unpleasantness.

If we decide to get under budget (and I think we should...if only to extend Gore) we need to send off some homegrown fan favorite players. Seth Beer is probably the most obvious choice. He's entering his first arbitration year and is set to make about $10m. His bat is still killer, but his defense is in decline, and he probably projects long term as a DH. Normally trading a 900+ OPS guy is silly...but we have Blaze Jordan ready to step in at 1B, and Wallner can play either corner in the OF just fine.

We also need to consider trading Bryan Reynolds. Elite all around center fielders are valuable and rare, but he's due around $16m this year from arb, and we have two solid youngsters: Jeison Rosario and Nelson Velazquez. Rosario in particular looks like he could be a 4-win player in center, which isn't a huge dropoff for us...he'd be a slight step back with the glove, but his bat is nearly as good as Reynolds. Reynolds is also 28, so he's likely to be moving to a corner OF position soon, which would tank his value.

Finally, we might consider trading Dakota Hudson. He isn't due a whole lot ($6m or so) but he's very tradeable, and could bring back a useful prospect.

EDIT: on closer review, Trey Wingenter, World Series Game 7 Winning Pitcher, might be a good trade candidate as well. He's on his last arb year with us so he's gone next year no matter what, and he'll bring a fortune back in value if we trade him in the offseason.

Do we:

A - Trade Beer

B - Trade Reynolds

C - Trade Hudson

C - Trade Wingenter

Issue 4: Expansion Draft

The draft rules are really pretty generous for us: We can protect 25 guys, and everyone with less than 3 years of service is automatically protected...which is still a lot of our roster. Really, the only decision we need to make is if we want to expose Cube Catcher (he's still a solid value even at age 32 and 230 pounds) or Jonathan French, our pretty talented AAA catcher. We don't really stand to lose anyone else of any importance.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 20, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Decline arb on Thairo
Pick up Lucchesi option and shop him
execute trade A and B plus Wingenter
can expose both catchers but if you have a slot for one let's keep Da Cube

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah, if Lucchesi is worth more than his option then you don't decline the option, you pick it up and then trade him.

We will keep Cube Catcher. This is not a subject for negotiation. :colbert:

Trade Beer and Wingenter, keep Reynolds.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Decline arb on Thairo
Seconding this, but I'd rather expose Cube than the prospect.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Actually, come to think of it, we may be able to expose Cube Catcher and then trade something less valuable than French to get him back.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Decline arb on Thairo

This, but we keep the Cube. Some players you never part with :colbert:

Our Padres team would get some pretty sweet hate from the N/V thread if it really existed: abuse service time like no team before for almost our entire roster, blow up a young WS-winning team to save a few pennies, then raise ticket prices. :v:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
PROTECT THE CUBE AT ALL COSTS

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sydin posted:

Our Padres team would get some pretty sweet hate from the N/V thread if it really existed: abuse service time like no team before for almost our entire roster, blow up a young WS-winning team to save a few pennies, then raise ticket prices. :v:

We were the real Jeff Loria all along.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
We could put some money into getting a new owner via hooker-induced heart attack.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Decline arb on Thairo
can expose both catchers but if you have a slot for one let's keep Da Cube

Seconded. Agreed also on attempting to retain Gore.

For overall play forward, I think we have to go with option B: there's no way the boss will stop bitching about budget no matter how much we win or how much the fans love or hate us. And they're gonna hate us for getting rid of so many popular players. We're gonna have to probably make decisions on Lewis and Baez next year, so it might be worthwhile to look for SS and pitching in our wheeling and dealing. As long as we're not pulling an Oakland and blowing up the team every single year, I think the fans will bear with losing a couple good guys a year so long as we're bringing in new good popular guys through the system. And honestly I'm pretty alright with our production level: we're first in the league in nearly every single metric and we won the division by 28 games. We scored ~200 runs more than league average and allowed ~200 fewer, including 100 more and less than the nearest team in those respective categories.

We're really, really good y'all. And some of our best players are still locked down: Nagamatsu, FTJ, Mejia, Quantrill, etc. (Maybe we try to lock down Lewis? His arb jump is bonkers, though, and projections look to get even worse for us from there. He's young and productive though. :shrug:)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Wallner broke the Padres franchise single-season records for HRs, RBI, runs, slugging, XBH, total bases, and OPS. Gore broke the record for Ks.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

lol at jacksonville river sharks. the mighty st johns river. i must admit that googling reveals a freshwater species called the bull shark that's in the river, and someone called captain dave really wants me to pay him to fish in the shark-infested st john's river, so maybe i'm simply Ignorant About Jacksonville

what i associate with the st johns river, though, is manatees. i saw a bunch of them mating in it once. i think the nats just kinda murdered the single-A brevard county manatees IRL by loving over the county wrt the stadium somehow (i think were the baddies) so they shouldve just taken that name

:rip:

even before they killed the team the nats ruined their beautiful marlins teal uniform and stadium (the expos never bothered to change the seat colors when they did spring training there), i'm only showing the old colors in this memorial

:rip:

also, go pads

edit: jacksonville manatees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aJuoYUucUY

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 20, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah but at least San Antonio is renowned for its brave “Minutemen” militia

e: the most hilarious thing though is MLB putting another team in Florida. Because the other two are doing so well there!

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 20, 2018

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
"well the two Florida teams are both doing great with attendance so why don't we start a third" - the geniuses of MLB

e: ^^

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Offseason Update

Award winners:

Booh: Reliever of the Year,
Nagamatsu, Reynolds: Silver Slugger (how did Wallner not win this)
Wallner: RoY
Gore: Cy Young
Wallner: MVP (but not silver slugger lol)
Chubb: Manager

Note: Arbitration didn't go well for us. I think we lost every one. Payroll is now $176m.

So you're getting around to trading guys I scouted and drafted, huh? You're the boss, kid.

Here's what we can do for Seth Beer:

Erik Rivera is a ML-ready 22 year old CF. He's about the same quality glove as Reynolds, and has an 850+ OPS bat in him after a year or two.

Carlos David Rodriguez is an elite glove in the outfield, and figures to be a 30+ SB guy with a 750 OPS.

Brady House is a former #3 overall pick at SS. He projects as an above average glove and 750-800 OPS guy.

Royman Blanco is a big 22 year old RHP with four plus pitches and a 98 mph heater. He's ML ready now and could top out as 2-3 guy.

The trade market for Bryan Reynolds is a bit softer as he's older and more expensive.

Chad Guyer is a 24 year old closer with an 80 slider and great velocity. He's probably ML-ready.

Spencer Smith is a ML-ready C/1B with a good bat and crappy glove.

Joey Lucchesi brought some decent offers:

Kristian Robinson is an elite outfield glove in every position who could OPS above 800 with a year or two to simmer.

Logan Tanner is a high end catcher prospect with a great glove and 750+ OPS bat.

Trey Wingenter brought back a lot of the same guys for the same reason: cheap deal, but only one more year of team control: Guyer, Tanner, Rivera, etc. Dakota Hudson is in the exact same boat.

I'll leave it to you guys to sort through this. Post which of these guys you want to trade, and who you want me to target in exchange. If you don't like any of these guys, you can give me a description of a prospect and I'll do my best to make a deal.

Salaries for each of these guys:
Reynolds: $15m
Beer: $10m
Lucchesi: $6m
Hudson: $7.5m
Wingenter: $6m

If we trade $20m away, we should be able to extend Gore. If we trade all 5, we could *maybe* buy out both Gore and Lewis' arbitration years. I am torn on Lewis: he's the best SS in the game and is easily capable of putting up a 10 win season. However...he's hurt, a lot. However...all of his injuries are accidental/bad break kind of things, and not chronic. It'd also be nice to get his salary locked in, as his arb numbers go through the roof if he has an MVP season. This is a tough call.

The returns on these guys are pretty good no matter what, and we have plenty of talent in the wings.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 21, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Trade Beer for Rivera, who can take over in CF after we trade Reynolds.

Important question: how much ML service time does Chad Guyer already have?

Trade Hudson and Wingenter for Tanner and Robinson, if possible. I especially like catchers with high Catching Ability in OOTP.

I think if we get a really strong offer for Lewis, we should take it. Most of the time, injury prone guys will only get more injury prone as they age.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Beer for Rivera so we can do

Reynolds for Guyer

Lucchesi for Tanner

Hudson for Robinson if possible

Lewis has some ifs, the main one being if he says healthy. I assume we could at least look at buying out his arb, see what he thinks he's worth. If he stays healthy it's great value for us and he's out in his (very expensive) prime, which is good for him. Realistically, though, I think we might have to let him walk next year. It's all about how much he wants to negotiate. Maybe put an appearances clause in there or something.

Speaking of extensions and buyouts, this Wallner kid seems okay? I dunno. We have a lot tied up for the near term and I don't think his arb will be too awful for us unless he continues to mash. I mean he played in 160 games this year. Or we let him walk when he's 31 and out of arb. Whatever.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Getting Tanner seems a no-brainer to me. I also like the look of Robinson. Lucchesi for Robinson and Wingerter for Tanner sounds pretty good.

For Reynolds, Guyer seems like the better choice. Good bat and crappy glove are plenty at 1B and not desirable (in my opinion) at C.

The offers for Beer are a diverse bunch and sound good (except Rodriguez loses a bit of value if we get Robinson). I think we can pick who helps fill a gap in our prospects roster.

With regards to Lewis, I think it might be worth to hold on to him. His injuries have never been super bad, although missing a minimum of 2 months each year is far from ideal. e: Of course it depends on what he would demand in arbitration or for signing.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Important question: how much ML service time does Chad Guyer already have?

This is indeed a good question and he has Zero Days of ML service time.

DONE DEALS

Bryan Reynolds and Juan Soto (nothing SS prospect) FOR

Chad Guyer
Jeremy Beck - 23 y/o, plus glove in all 3 OF positions, 700-750 OPS
Arturo Hernandez - 23 y/o 1B with great bat potential, but underdeveloped

Note: the Red Sox have four elite pitching prospects that they absolutely refused to budge on. I tried.

Seth Beer and Luis Grillo (nothing OF prospect) for:

Erik Rivera
Ignacio Santana - a 20 y/o RHP with a nightmare curve. Was excellent in 24 IP of MLB work last year.
Juan Soto - a different Juan Soto, lefty reliever with a 101mph heater and an 80 slider...long way from the bigs though
Logan Tanner (mentioned above)

...this is one heck of a deal. I tried to bring back Sergio Morales or Marco Luciano from the BLAZE JORDAN deal but the Marlins were having none of it.

Trey Wingenter, Sergio Vera (a decent RP prospect) and Aidan Maldonado (a decent but injury prone SP prospect) for:

Royman Blanco and Mike Dye, one of the Red Sox super arms and the #16 overall prospect.

Joey Lucchesi for Kristian Robinson, straight up.

Also of note: Erik Rivera is a decent (not great) pitcher.

Offseason Update

We lost Jacob Nix and Jose Rances Suarez in the expansion draft.

Thanks to our firesale and expansion draft losses, our fan interest went from 89 to 75. ...not great.

MacKenzie Gore was not in a negotiating mood...I went up to 8 years/240 mil before talks broke down.

Michel Baez wants a 10 year, 320 mil deal.

Royce Lewis wants a 10 year deal, 370m deal.

(throws up hands)

...at least those deals for FTJ and Mejia are in place. These extension demands are loving crazy. Cody Bellinger just set the market for 5 star players with a cool $40m a year. Thanks, Cody.

...lets see what we can get in the Rule 5 draft I guess....

Pujols, Beltran, and Cabrera to the Hall.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Opening Day 2024

GOOD NEWS: Matthew Thompson made it back for spring training! And he looked great! He slots into our #4 spot in the rotation.

MORE GOOD NEWS: We agreed in principle to extend MacKenzie Gore for 8 years, $264m. He hasn't signed yet...which is nerve racking and irritating.

Opening Day Lineup

Royce Lewis, SS
FTJ, 3B
Matt Wallner, RF
Masuo Nagamatsu, LF
Blaze Jordan, 1B (he looks like he's ready to tear up the league...and Pete thinks he isn't anywhere near his ceiling)
Erik Rivera, CF
Matthew Lugo, 2B
Frank Mejia, C

Opening Day Staff
MacKenzie Gore
Michel Baez
Cal Quantrill
Matthew Thompson
Dakota Hudson

Bullpen
Booh (CL)
Munoz
Feltman
Ignacio Santana (from the Beer trade)
Jose Albertos
Royman Blanco (from the Wingenter trade)
De La Cruz

Wallner and Rivera are also listed in the pen.

We're predicted to win 116 games. We have Jacksonville in the opening series.

I *think* I can get Royce Lewis to agree to an 8 year, ~240m contract. Pull the trigger?

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 21, 2018

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
How do the leagues/divisions look now with 32 teams?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

How do the leagues/divisions look now with 32 teams?

Both expansion teams went in the east- Jacksonville in the NL east, SA in the AL east. Makes sense.

Half the SA team came from the Padres.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

There’s no way we can afford that Lewis contract, right? $30m AAV is loving insane and eats something like 1/6 of our budget on his own. Unless the owner coughs up another $20m or more out of nowhere we’re kind of stuck, especially after the fan drubbing we’re taking this year. We’d be better off keeping his arb and then letting him walk at that rate and we weren’t even sure we’d do that. drat, son.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No extension for Lewis, look to trade him.

A team like the Dodgers can give Lewis 8/240 because if he winds up being injured for most of the contract, $30M a year out of their budget is just a nuisance. It would be a disaster for us. Not a good risk for us to take.

Guys that get injured a lot in OOTP tend to have their ratings abruptly crater around age 30, too.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bewbies posted:

Both expansion teams went in the east- Jacksonville in the NL east, SA in the AL east. Makes sense.

Half the SA team came from the Padres.

...what? That makes SA, an AL East team, further west than the Astros, an AL West team.

e: unless there's another San Antonio that I've never heard of

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

...what? That makes SA, an AL East team, further west than the Astros, an AL West team.

e: unless there's another San Antonio that I've never heard of

....yep

In that vein I was thinking it'd be fun to do a complete revamp of the divisions/leagues/playoffs so that we can make Things The Way They Should Be. Any interest in that?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Only if it means no playoffs, just the LCS and World Series the way God intended :colbert:

e: and ditch the godless abomination of interleague play while we’re at it

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
concur: ALE, ALW, NLE, NLW

best of three tiebreak for division lead in the event of ties
best of seven between the top team in each division LCS
seven game WS

• Locked thread