Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Infinitum posted:

As a bit of pop culture trivia. Leopardon heralded the era of Super Sentai shows having giant robots to control for the main heroes to pilot.

The story goes that they couldn't think up any good spider themed finishing moves for spider-man to do so somebody just suggested having the monster of the week grow really big and then having Spider-man bust out a giant mech to beat it with.
The rest is history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Spider-Man the world owes you a great debt

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

David D. Davidson posted:

The rest is history.

Further history lessons. Sentai shows kick rear end and have a super long long history, dating back to the 60s.

One of the grand-daddies of the genre is Kamen Rider, who takes a much more traditional approach to the setup. He's also the source of the 'Shouting Your Signature Attack' trope.

In short Kamen Rider is an Ally of Justice, and an all round rear end kicker.

(Read Right to Left)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Opm's mumen rider is better

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

site posted:

Opm's mumen rider is better

His little moment in the Deep Sea King Arc is what I was going to post but I ended up going through several chapters and just thinking "Okay, this is just too much and will get me probated."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Infinitum posted:

Leopardon rocked up in the first Spiderverse event

The colouring in the bottom panel to make it look like the show is masterly.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Samuringa posted:

His little moment in the Deep Sea King Arc is what I was going to post but I ended up going through several chapters and just thinking "Okay, this is just too much and will get me probated."

Oh man him standing up to king :cry:

A hero that isnt poo poo, and knows he isnt poo poo, but goes out anyways and will take on anything to help people because it's the right thing to do and thats what a hero does and is taken seriously as a concept is criminally underused

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Adnor posted:

"But I cannot allow you to take off because I don't know how to land a jet!!" :allears:
Are The Phantom characters always this simultaneously direct and sideways?

Infinitum posted:

how much more is there to this? cuz holy poo poo

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Fish Noise posted:

Are The Phantom characters always this simultaneously direct and sideways?

how much more is there to this? cuz holy poo poo

Unfortunately none because he jobs immediately to the big boss.

He does show up again at the big final battle after Spidey 2099 and the steampunk Lady Spider fixes what's left with Science™ but it's not a big deal there either.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Infinitum posted:

I always feel this page when posted by itself is a bit disingenuous, because then Morlun and them completely wreck it on the next page like it's a loving Sentinel or something

What a terrible bunch of villains. Whose idea was it to have the Multiversal Coalition of Spider-People be menaced by a bunch of weird Anne Rice rejects, all things?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This one time, there was a band playing a song japanese spider-man really didn't like, so he got into his spider-car and blasted them to death with the car's giant assault cannons.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I always feel this page when posted by itself is a bit disingenuous, because then Morlun and them completely wreck it on the next page like it's a loving Sentinel or something

What a terrible bunch of villains. Whose idea was it to have the Multiversal Coalition of Spider-People be menaced by a bunch of weird Anne Rice rejects, all things?

Dan Slott is a terrible man.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lurdiak posted:

This one time, there was a band playing a song japanese spider-man really didn't like, so he got into his spider-car and blasted them to death with the car's giant assault cannons.

With great power comes great responsibility!*

*translated from Japanese

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OnimaruXLR posted:

As pointed out, he does come back in the end after being fixed up with Steampunk science and radiation and is the reason that the Inheritors are defeated. But it’s also done sort of off panel, which was a bizarre choice.

I think in some interview that Dan Slott said that the original concept for Spider-verse was it would involve a multiverse coalition of Norman Osborns (including one where he has the cosmic Goblin Force, which is actually a thing from the X-Men universe.) But that idea was nixed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Spider-verse was so close to being a fun event but Slott felt the need to constantly kill off the fun interdimensional Spider-men everyone was happy to see again/for the first time in the leadup to it. At a push, if you want some of them to bite it in the big finale where there's thousands of them fighting thousands of baddies, ok, but nobody wanted to see the Spider-man from Spider-man and his amazing friends die pointlessly in his apartment while his dog sadly howls.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not a comic, but I finished Spiderman PS4 tonight and read Spectacular Spider-Man 310 finally and after wiping away all these tears felt like this was the sort of material this thread was looking for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKkIQtg_Fok

in my defense of Yakuza for the badass panels thread:

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 21, 2018

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Spider-verse was so close to being a fun event but Slott felt the need to constantly kill off the fun interdimensional Spider-men everyone was happy to see again/for the first time in the leadup to it. At a push, if you want some of them to bite it in the big finale where there's thousands of them fighting thousands of baddies, ok, but nobody wanted to see the Spider-man from Spider-man and his amazing friends die pointlessly in his apartment while his dog sadly howls.

For some reason, Dan Slott really wanted to see a Spider-Man version of Zenith Phase III, and I don’t think he realized that it was a parody of all the grimdark Eighties event comics that were killing off children’s comic characters for cheap pathos.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The original Morlun story was awesome. A true classic. But it feels like a Nothing Stops the Juggernaut story or Death of Superman / Knightfall where having the big bad guy return over and over for this hero just feels sad. Especially when we see him bickering with his dad and siblings.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Best thing about the original Morlun story: in his first appearance, he feeds on a nameless German superhero; a few issues later, there was a letter from a reader asking, "What was the name of the German superhero Morlun ate?" and the reply was, "Lunch."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

site posted:

Oh man him standing up to king :cry:

A hero that isnt poo poo, and knows he isnt poo poo, but goes out anyways and will take on anything to help people because it's the right thing to do and thats what a hero does and is taken seriously as a concept is criminally underused

It lacks the gravitas of Mumen Rider and his letter, but it makes me think of this great moment from What If the Avengers Fought Galactus? In this world, the Fantastic Four died in the crash from their origin, which means no Namor, no Captain America and Dr. Doom is off having awesome adventures with Nick Fury. Once Silver Surfer and Galactus show up, Uatu goes to the Avengers for help. They set out a call for anyone who was ever an Avenger up to that point.

While Thor is busy getting his rear end kicked by Surfer, everyone else is taken out and we only have Hercules standing at Uatu's side.

Not only is Swordsman completely out of his league, but his time as an Avenger was as a betrayer working for the Mandarin, so his brief stand against Galactus feels like a big deal. He ends up surviving and earns a spot on the team once Galactus is dealt with.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lurdiak posted:

He made up for that one by doing the Newspaper Spider-Man story.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Taintrunner posted:

Not a comic, but I finished Spiderman PS4 tonight and read Spectacular Spider-Man 310 finally and after wiping away all these tears felt like this was the sort of material this thread was looking for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKkIQtg_Fok

in my defense of Yakuza for the badass panels thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrdlduuWuoI

Majima so good.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

OnimaruXLR posted:

like, it would have been so easy to bust out a Sinister Six Hundred, and half those new alternate reality Doc Ocks/Scorpions/Shockers/etc would probably have taken off and picked up a fanbase like Spider-Gwen or Spider-Punk did

nobody's going to remember any Inheritors

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sinister Six6

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Sinister 6!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sinister 6.02214078×1023 but it's really only Mole Man.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lobok posted:

Sinister 6.02214078×1023 but it's really only Mole Man.

Boo this man

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Honestly yeah it would have made a lot more sense to use an inter dimensional sinister six as Dans run didn’t really use the spiritual nature of Morlun until the storyline itself which made him feel pointless

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
wait poo poo I missed the obvious one

the Sinister Six Hundred Sixty Six

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CharlestheHammer posted:

Honestly yeah it would have made a lot more sense to use an inter dimensional sinister six as Dans run didn’t really use the spiritual nature of Morlun until the storyline itself which made him feel pointless

This was basically the plot of the Spider-Verse follow up Web Warriors where they fought infinite Electros.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 22, 2018

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I feel like we were just talking about the Sinister 666 last week.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Open Marriage Night posted:

I feel like we were just talking about the Sinister 666 last week.

probably, it's a really easy and obvious idea why didn't it happen

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Only if the climax is bringing in Salem’s 777 to beat them

radlum
May 13, 2013

Lunatic Sledge posted:

like, it would have been so easy to bust out a Sinister Six Hundred, and half those new alternate reality Doc Ocks/Scorpions/Shockers/etc would probably have taken off and picked up a fanbase like Spider-Gwen or Spider-Punk did

nobody's going to remember any Inheritors

Besides Morlun I can't remember any of the Inheritors and their return is the main reason I can't bring myself to care about Spider-Geddon.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Get you kicks in Sinister 66.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Re: Leopardon chat, it (and Japanese Spider-Man) will be in a Very Good looking story in Vault of Spiders at the end of the month.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I could have sworn there was some side bit in Spider-Verse about all the Electros across dimensions teaming up or something. I don't know precisely where she first showed up but the follow-up event that just started also has a very charming female Doctor Octopus who I guess fills her world's Spider-Man role.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Archyduke posted:

I could have sworn there was some side bit in Spider-Verse about all the Electros across dimensions teaming up or something. I don't know precisely where she first showed up but the follow-up event that just started also has a very charming female Doctor Octopus who I guess fills her world's Spider-Man role.

howe_sam posted:

This was basically the plot of the Spider-Verse follow up Web Warriors where they fought infinite Electros.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I was hoping what with Mysterio breaking into the Ultimate universe there would be a cool rear end Council of Mysterios out there doing special effects all over the place.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Gavok posted:

Juggernaut's expression in that first panel of the old lady's apartment is begging to be somebody's avatar.

The second panel spoke to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Anyone know the source?