Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
Almost time for the new episode. Here's this, for anyone who has to wait longer to pass the time with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=828rVOsSifg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Let the man see Elvis! :mad:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

They are not holding back here.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Emmett Till isn't a name I expected to hear on Doctor Who :gonk:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 21, 2018

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Time to avoid this thread until the evening.
Blasted BBC America.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
This is.... clumsy

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
It is really so difficult to find actors from the place their characters are supposed to be from instead of just having a lot of terrible accents?

E: the whole episode feels really....ham-fisted. not enjoying it at all tbh

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 21, 2018

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Ben Soosneb posted:

This is.... clumsy

Not in a terrible way though. Educate and entertain, just a bit on the nose.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ryan and yaz awkwardly explaining the moral of the episode

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
"Who says I'm not [x]" jokes will never not slay me.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 21, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ben Soosneb posted:

Not in a terrible way though. Educate and entertain, just a bit on the nose.

Yeah, it's rough but I 'm enjoying it.

Edit: Graham absolutely rules.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Checkovs temporal time travel gun

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ben Soosneb posted:

Checkovs temporal time travel gun

Yeah, that was pretty obvious :)

Graham and Ryan are such a great team.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Well I'm just offended to my very core.
That was a perfectly good jacket.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

so far two separate episodes have involved graham saving the day with his bus knowledge

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So are we expecting the bad guy and his "this is where it all went wrong" ominous messages to be a fakeout and he's trying to save Rosa or something? Otherwise he just seems kind of... one-note.

Edit: Nevermind, guess he was just one-note

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 21, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I was disappointed the Doctor didn’t mention her wife was in Stormcage.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

corn in the bible posted:

so far two separate episodes have involved graham saving the day with his bus knowledge

When you only have a hammer, every problem looks like a bus.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm extremely relieved that they didn't make it so Rosa was inspired by the Doctor or her companions to stay in place.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

So are we expecting the bad guy and his "this is where it all went wrong" ominous messages to be a fakeout and he's trying to save Rosa or something? Otherwise he just seems kind of... one-note.

Edit: Nevermind, guess he was just one-note

Maybe he’ll be a recurring but misunderstood racist villain?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And I'm quite sure the racist ex-con whose into causing butterfly effects being punted back in time will have no consequences whatsoever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ben Soosneb posted:

Maybe he’ll be a recurring but misunderstood racist villain?

Maybe he’s the start of the Stenza? Ryan sent him very far back.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
All felt a bit ‘very special episode’ and awkward and clumsy. But not bad.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

On the one hand, that was clumsy as all gently caress. On the other, I was braced for it to be SO MUCH WORSE, so I'm putting that one down as, if not a win exactly, at least not a loss. A no score draw of an episode if you like.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Spiders from metebelis 3?

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Well that was... interesting. Let's see what next week's episode is oh thank gently caress it's evil spiders there's no way to gently caress that up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was pretty straight-forward if very well shot. The sci-fi elements felt forced and the villain was incredibly one-dimensional, but I dug that they didn't cause Rosa to keep her seat and they didn't really sanitize how utterly prevalent the racism was.

Next week: Eight Legs? :neckbeard:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The writing was very heavy-handed but I did like the idea of a villain who's just trying to bugger up history due to being racist. Looking forward to his return where he'll be teaching dinosaurs to be racist.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
I was won over on this episode, and perhaps this entire season, on the line 'Thats good, because I don't eat them'

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pretty funny that after Ryan admits sending the time-racist back into pre-history the Doctor just kinda doesn't care.

Edit: Also at the start when Ryan says they've gone to 14 different stops before Alabama, I could almost hear Nick Briggs salivating about the 2025 Big Finish range.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I was really worried about this episode - and yeah, it was a tad clumsy towards the middle with Ryan and Yaz laying out the core theme of the story - but I'll take something that's slightly clumsy, but tries to deal with racism frankly and unflinchingly - and I think they handled Rosa and the segregation pretty well.

It does suffer from the usual psuedo-historical problem of stuffing a random space person in there though. A space racist with an interesting plan to fudge history, but still it's unneeded, and he's still completely flat as a character. It felt really rushed how they got rid of him as well, sending him through time - if he returns, I don't think anyone could care enough.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Pretty funny that after Ryan admits sending the time-racist back into pre-history the Doctor just kinda doesn't care.

That’s what makes me think it’s something they’re going to follow up on.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I mean “villain who can’t directly kill but is really into the butterfly effect” is way too good to pass up.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

So Alabama's segregation ends because of a grandfather paradox started by a far-future white supremacist that ensures the bus was full that evening?

Okay.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Have they really gotten worse? That's sad :(

i wouldn't say worse but it does seem like they're less willing to take risks than they used to be. They kind of have an established comfort zone now which is fine if that's what you want

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

episode was ok i guess. eh

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stabbatical posted:

So Alabama's segregation ends because of a grandfather paradox started by a far-future white supremacist that ensures the bus was full that evening?

Okay.

No it happened, he went back to try and change it, the Doctor and companions nudged things back as close to the original conditions as they could and happily did a good enough job that things went back along their original path. If the time-racist hadn't shown up and tried to change things, then the end result would have been the same: Rosa Parks refuses to move from her seat and gets arrested.

My biggest concern going into the episode was that Rosa would only do these things because she was inspired or directed to by either the Doctor or her companions, so I was glad they were mostly just along for the ride trying to keep the obstacles out of her path so she could do what she was always going to do in the first place.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Editing seemed a bit better this time - in the Ghost Monument it was all over the place

Jerusalem posted:

No it happened, he went back to try and change it, the Doctor and companions nudged things back as close to the original conditions as they could and happily did a good enough job that things went back along their original path. If the time-racist hadn't shown up and tried to change things, then the end result would have been the same: Rosa Parks refuses to move from her seat and gets arrested.

Yeah, this.

Jerusalem posted:

My biggest concern going into the episode was that Rosa would only do these things because she was inspired or directed to by either the Doctor or her companions, so I was glad they were mostly just along for the ride trying to keep the obstacles out of her path so she could do what she was always going to do in the first place.

That was my biggest worry as well - it was actually a relief to see Malorie Blackman's name appear in the opening writing credits - a black woman who's written works that deal with racism. I so glad they handled it the way they did.

Also, unrelated, I'm coming round to the new theme - also Akinola's general music is pretty great - different, but good and fitting from Gold's - and the better sound mixing means it's not drowning out everything else.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Also the timeline in Doctor Who is seven shades of buggered anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

SiKboy posted:

On the one hand, that was clumsy as all gently caress. On the other, I was braced for it to be SO MUCH WORSE, so I'm putting that one down as, if not a win exactly, at least not a loss. A no score draw of an episode if you like.

Yeah, I think that was the best that a show like dr who could have handled that storyline. Also I really liked it, three for three so far.