Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trouser_mouse
Apr 27, 2008

Mac from IASIP trying to stop the civil rights movement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Can't wait for the Big Finish Bus Adventures featuring Lady Christina and Graham

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

sparacus posted:

Obviously the whole episode was about an anti-racism message. Nothing wrong with that but surely the message would have worked better if it were presented in a more subtle way. Did every single white American have to be utterly racist? Were there not white anti-racists in the US? I seem to recall some of the Mississippi Burnings victims being white.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

When the gently caress is Graham gonna get a lunch

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

My other half is mixed race, he loves Malorie Blackman, and was very excited for this episode. Afterwards he said it was very good, he'll absolutely recommend it to people. and he's never watching it again on account of it being incredibly triggering for him. Racism hasn't changed much in 63 years. :smith:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

The_Doctor posted:

My other half is mixed race, he loves Malorie Blackman, and was very excited for this episode. Afterwards he said it was very good, he'll absolutely recommend it to people. and he's never watching it again on account of it being incredibly triggering for him. Racism hasn't changed much in 63 years. :smith:

But racism ended with MLK’s I have a dream speech so therefore we shouldn’t do anything about it anymore! - believed by a not insignificant number of Americans

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

No it happened, he went back to try and change it, the Doctor and companions nudged things back as close to the original conditions as they could and happily did a good enough job that things went back along their original path. If the time-racist hadn't shown up and tried to change things, then the end result would have been the same: Rosa Parks refuses to move from her seat and gets arrested.

See that's what I thought until The Doctor said "We're part of the story" (or something like that) so I shifted to the other understanding it. I'm probably just weighting that line too heavily. I guess that old couple would've been on before the shenangians. :shrug:

quote:

My biggest concern going into the episode was that Rosa would only do these things because she was inspired or directed to by either the Doctor or her companions, so I was glad they were mostly just along for the ride trying to keep the obstacles out of her path so she could do what she was always going to do in the first place.

That was good though. I liked a lot of the ideas in this episode, like the mostly non-violent butterfly effect villain and the indirect conflict between the two forces. As other people have noted though, it did feel a points like something you'd play to the class in the last few days of the summer term. Especially the way they shot that last scene in the TARDIS (which I'm liking the look of!).

Overall the episode was good. It was good to see an overtly socially concious episode that didn't back away from what it was trying to do. The overt racist outbursts of the townsfolk were well executed and genuinely uncomfortable to watch and they didn't massively gently caress it up and do something like "Rosa Parks is a Rutan".

JFC and I thought I could be dense

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Graham pilots a spaceship towards the planet. "Now I'll never know what's for lunch" he says, as he crashes into the Earth

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I think this episode would have been better without the intro and the time skip. It ruined the surprise of Rosa Parks, and the shock of the first racist having a go at Ryan.

Otherwise, good episode.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I liked it quite a bit.

It was pretty close to a straight historical, actually - not all the way there, but no aliens getting ready to end the world or anything supernatural beyond the insertion of the bad guy. Even the bad guy time traveller didn't use his tech for anything other than getting into the setting or shooting at the other time travellers.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Seeing as the episode mentioned Emmett Till, in June, they erected the third memorial at the place where his body was found, after the previous two were irreparably damaged.

By July, the memorial had already been shot at.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Stabbatical posted:

"Rosa Parks is a Rutan".

This seat is SONTARAN ONLY.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TinTower posted:

Seeing as the episode mentioned Emmett Till, in June, they erected the third memorial at the place where his body was found, after the previous two were irreparably damaged.

By July, the memorial had already been shot at.

Like, not that racism follows logic, but what's the twisted reasoning dickheads have for vandalising it?

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
What was with the insane close up shots of the Doctor's and Time-Racists face, where it just went in and out of focus?

I really hate the way this show is being shot. It's like a film students first project.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I thought the actual covering of the topic was about as good as it could have been, as for the actual plot - I dunno, it felt a bit video gamey/looney toons to have the guy just appear with another problem every couple of minutes in the final sequence. I'm not sure how it could have been done better, though.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
So I liked that a lot. I was properly educational for children and as was mentioned, benefited for not having the Back to the Future style "white people are the cause of black movement" issue. It was all just tarnished by that terrible song when she was arrested. A small bugbear that I can live with, I suppose. If the badguy doesn't come back again that'll be another mark, but it's hard to see that loose end dangling for too long.

I'm also really liking the repeated references to the nan, like her spirit is still with them and they are still grieving. Too many times I see fridged women who get totally ignored, but it's nice to see her still influencing the narrative and the characters.

Also, how great was it to have actual Americans in the show instead of Brits doing corny accents? It makes Daleks In Manhattan look like, well, Daleks in Manhattan.

Standard Measure
Sep 5, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I thought they were going to force graham to be the racist bus driver

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm not sure about the writing this season, I'm really not sure about the way the show is shot and its persistent use of close ups, but I'm fully on board on a scene that features the lines "Oi oi Jim boy, ow you doing cockrel?" and "Yo, Jimmy Blake, whats up blud?"

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

seizure later posted:

What was with the insane close up shots of the Doctor's and Time-Racists face, where it just went in and out of focus?

I really hate the way this show is being shot. It's like a film students first project.

I noticed that too :lol:

Some of the close-ups make sense, but that was pretty bad. Not as bad as the other week though - that was nice vistas ruined by choppy editing, uncomfortable close-ups, and IIRC they break the 180 rule a lot too. I'll have to rewatch it proper, as it kept cutting out.

There are some nice shots in this - would be nice if they could pull the camera back a bit more though - best example is the TARDIS interior, which is huge, but the coverage makes it seem so claustrophobic.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 21, 2018

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I thought the actual covering of the topic was about as good as it could have been, as for the actual plot - I dunno, it felt a bit video gamey/looney toons to have the guy just appear with another problem every couple of minutes in the final sequence. I'm not sure how it could have been done better, though.

"But you see, Doctor, *I* went back in time just slightly further...and I bribed the architect first!!!"

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
The TARDIS set is growing on me, I really like the integration of the scanners into the architecture.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Standard Measure posted:

I thought they were going to force graham to be the racist bus driver

:smith: "I don't want to be part of this."

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pesky Splinter posted:

There are some nice shots in this - would be nice if they could pull the camera back a bit more though - best example is the TARDIS interior, which is huge, but the coverage makes it seem so claustrophobic.

It's huge, but the actual features of it are all crammed into the middle

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/georgiaEtennant/status/1054084360222240770

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Everybody saying the writing was heavy-handed about the racism has never met a racist white southerner. If anything, it was subdued.

I like the new Tardis interior a lot more with blue lighting behind the round things than the full-on amber lighting we had last week.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm fine with the racists being racist, it was more stuff like the scene where Ryan and Yaz just sat down and spelt out the entire message of the episode.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

My Twitter feed is talking about how kids say this was the scariest episode ever.

Real life racism is much scarier than Daleks, Cybermen, Weeping Angels or anything else scifi can come up with.

I was already a bit emotional because of all the bad news in the world the last couple days, and I thought I'd watch Doctor Who to cheer me up but I'm only more emotional now.

It's a good episode and I'm glad Doctor Who is teaching kids this important lesson. I'm okay with Doctor Who explanations being on the nose sometimes.
But it wasn't very helpful for my emotional state.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I already knew that Walsh had acting chops from L&O: UK, but I really got shades of Tate's "just save someone" from the scene on the bus.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Graham is genuinely the best character on the show right now, overshadowing the doctor and definitely Ryan and Yaz. I think it's very hard to give everyone something to do in such a short time so I don't know that it's the actors' faults or anything, though...

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Wheat Loaf posted:

:smith: "I don't want to be part of this."

this got me a lot harder than I thought it would

also the vague nature of time criminal's past, his being pastblasted and his "you people" "stop you all from rising above yourselves" possibly being a fake out (given the context of the episode it makes sense for him to be talking about... well... yeah, but it crossed my mind he could be addressing humankind as a whole) (especially right after an episode where two different aliens looked like humans)

dude's definitely coming back

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Why do they bother with all that 'acting' stuff?

You could cut it all out and just rely on the fact that every single action, emotion or set-up is slowly and painfully explained by the characters.

E: Challenge for you: name one event or plot point in the entire episode that didn't have someone explain it to the audience other characters.

spog fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 21, 2018

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

spog posted:

Why do they bother with all that 'acting' stuff?

You could cut it all out and just rely on the fact that every single action, emotion or set-up is slowly and painfully explained by the characters.

E: Challenge for you: name one event or plot point in the entire episode that didn't have someone explain it to the audience other characters.

I'm on the record as thinking it was clumsy (though clunky would have been a better word for it in hindsight) but... At the end of the day its a family show. I have to remind myself to make allowances for the fact that if they dont pitch low a large percentage of their most important audience will miss stuff. With that in mind.... it was still clunkier than it could have been, but its largely forgivable.

I'd rather have an episode like this that spells out its message than a repeat of the moon abortion, or the zygon immigrant jyhadis or the "hey kids, dont take your medication" forest debacles.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's a family show dealing with an issue it's pretty super important to make sure people "get", and which many people won't have engaged with in the past.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
yeah, I would rather have an episode with its heart in the right place be a bit on the nose, than some of the alternatives we've gotten previously

the more I think about it, the more "dude with a time vortex and a chip that prevents him from being violent" sounds like an amazing foil for the Doctor, but drat if that guy doesn't need to be fleshed out more

it also weirded me out because when he knocked on the tardis door

he knocked four times

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lunatic Sledge posted:

this got me a lot harder than I thought it would

also the vague nature of time criminal's past, his being pastblasted and his "you people" "stop you all from rising above yourselves" possibly being a fake out (given the context of the episode it makes sense for him to be talking about... well... yeah, but it crossed my mind he could be addressing humankind as a whole) (especially right after an episode where two different aliens looked like humans)

dude's definitely coming back

I don't care if he comes back, his role in this episode was incomplete and lame

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SiKboy posted:

I'm on the record as thinking it was clumsy (though clunky would have been a better word for it in hindsight) but... At the end of the day its a family show. I have to remind myself to make allowances for the fact that if they dont pitch low a large percentage of their most important audience will miss stuff. With that in mind.... it was still clunkier than it could have been, but its largely forgivable.

I'd rather have an episode like this that spells out its message than a repeat of the moon abortion, or the zygon immigrant jyhadis or the "hey kids, dont take your medication" forest debacles.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's a family show dealing with an issue it's pretty super important to make sure people "get", and which many people won't have engaged with in the past.

I mean not just the message and the history: I mean every single action/situation in the entire episode had someone explain it like the audiences couldn't see the screen or hear the relevant dialogue:

e.g. hotel sign saying 'whites only'
"look, there's a bad sign"
"oh no, how we will get into this room?"
-climbs through window-
"we just climbed through a window into this hotel."

E: with regards to the historical event itself and what it lead too, the cast basically took turns reading out the entire Wikipedia entry, one sentence per character.

spog fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 21, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've grown up in the Midwest, specifically might-as-well-be-the-Deep-South Missouri.

The villain did not need to be "fleshed out". He is very, very, very real portrayal of people that very much exist.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

spog posted:

I mean not just the message and the history: I mean every single action/situation in the entire episode had someone explain it like the audiences couldn't see the screen or hear the relevant dialogue:

e.g. hotel sign saying 'whites only'
"look, there's a bad sign"
"oh no, how we will get into this room?"
-climbs through window-
"we just climbed through a window into this hotel."

The window bit was character stuff. It led to Yaz talking about climbing into her boyfriend's window and Ryan kinda-maybe indicating he likes her romantically.

If anything, my biggest problem is that Tosin looks way too mature for how Ryan's written. It almost feels like Chibnall meant Ryan to be 15 or 16, they decided to cast Cole, and realised no one would buy him as that young, so they aged the character up without changing his behaviour

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Nodosaur posted:

I've grown up in the Midwest, specifically might-as-well-be-the-Deep-South Missouri.

The villain did not need to be "fleshed out". He is very, very, very real portrayal of people that very much exist.

I mean, I live in Oklahoma

I just didn't feel like Jacket Man was as threatening or as sinister as, say, the regular people in the episode (who were accurately portrayed as vile pieces of poo poo)

...and to be fair, that could be done intentionally; a single boogeyman with a space gun ISN'T as genuinely terrifying or infuriating as institutional racism or a culture built on relishing its own ignorance, a system that relies on otherization to keep its populace in line--often great evils aren't committed by a single monster, but an inch at a time, a little every day by awful loving people that make up the general population accepting the atrocious because it's easier than changing

I just... think it might be less that, and more that the main villain was kind of a weak sell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nodosaur posted:

People who've never met one, despite how common they are, refuse to believe that they exist, and are quite common.

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."