Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

This is my least favourite bit of voting on a saturday.

waiting days for an official result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

my mum is a boomer and she was horrified when she learned i smoke bowls

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

"but bell jar, dear, what will you put your cocopops in?!"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/Paul_Karp/status/1054110157704114181

:shepface:

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

:tif:

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

Pretty hard to believe considering the fact that if we go by votes cast before polling day Sharma would win easily.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

:mensch:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Guess whose leadership ambitions are back, back again

quote:

Jim Chalmers broke down in tears and begged Kevin Rudd to let him run for Parliament, despite helping orchestrate a carpet-bombing campaign against the former prime minister during Labor's leadership wars.

The revelation about the opposition frontbencher, who holds ambitions to become prime minister, is contained in Mr Rudd's new book, The PM Years.

In it, Mr Rudd also claims Kim Beazley wanted to be governor-general, Bill Shorten thought a junior ministerial role on disabilities was beneath him, and that Wayne Swan was not just treacherous but an "incompetent" treasurer responsible for the mining tax disaster.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...021-p50az0.html

Rudd really is a piece of work

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Considering that the Liberals should have not lost a seat with such a healthy margin, I don't see what Pyne has a crow about

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lid posted:

where is he wrong though?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Swan was not incompetent

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

BBJoey posted:

Swan was not incompetent

He was the smart one.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Herald Sun is still hoping for a postal vote win this morning lmao

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-22/coalition-mps-blame-leadership-spill-for-wentworth-loss/10402528?pfmredir=sm

Awesome, they aren't gonna learn a drat thing.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

BBJoey posted:

Swan was not incompetent

Yes but he was/is a dope.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Lid posted:

The rest is meh but I though Swannie was alright?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
all the boomers in my family have smoked cones

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/GrogsGamut/status/1054139837119250432

norp posted:

Awesome, they aren't gonna learn a drat thing.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
on saturday afternoon a well-liked local stock and station agent was struck and killed by lightning in the middle of the geurie racecourse, geurie (just west of dubbo) during the golden collar australian cattledog competition

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
afaik no cattledogs were harmed, i'm still trying to verify it

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
They really should learn. I was speaking to my wifes auntie and uncle who are down from Sydney for a wedding, and I thought they lived in Wentworth but they actually live in Warringah.

They are two late 60/early 70s retired doctor/professors who immigrated from Malaysia in the 80s to Sydney. Chinese background and obviously fairly conservative with money / social views but not bible thumping or anything. More when them and my in laws get together are just like "I don't really get all these kids these days but whatever".

He said he voted for Howard a few times but didn't like the one nation stuff back in the day and these days can barely see a difference. Also had the view of "At least if they had let Turnbull actually be leader they could have been better, but he was so spineless and gave in to everything then they got rid of him anyway" And they haaaaattte Abbott.

You gotta think that sentiment is not exactly uncommon. I'm not saying they are the 'normal' voters in Warringah (if they were obviously things would be different) but they've gone from on again off again liberal voters to straight labor voters, surely others are going to start being put off enough, and an independant spoiler coming in, even if they are a 'tree tory' is still better than a liberal, even if you still shouldn't trust them for anything.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Nick Cater posted:

The Liberals' core vote is in lamington land, not cupcake country.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

incredible flesh posted:

on saturday afternoon a well-liked local stock and station agent was struck and killed by lightning in the middle of the geurie racecourse, geurie (just west of dubbo) during the golden collar australian cattledog competition

that's hosed up, if lightning can strike there it could strike anywhere.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The Liberals need to look at the press conferences of footy coaches who lose games. They never show satisfaction with a close loss, blame their own failings and admit a need to reassess things. It shows character and an ability to grow from one’s mistakes. It’s like the Liberals have had it drilled into them by an alpha dog that you can never admit weakness because people don’t like that, but it’s a load of wank.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Trapezium Dave posted:

“Core vote”

I swear this creeping Americanism is infectious. Core vote - assuming such a thing existed - doesn’t matter. We have mandatory voting. We have seats. You need to win more seats than anyone else to be a government. What your most crazy 10% think is irrelevant to winning power. Especially so as presumably your “core voters” will vote for you whatever you say or do, and unlike the US they have no option to stay home. It’s a meaningless term here.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

Herald Sun is still hoping for a postal vote win this morning lmao

None too surprising. I can't wait to see Bolt's take on this by-election

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hambeet posted:

The rest is meh but I though Swannie was alright?

I've never seen anything not written by a CHUD or a RUDD to suggest otherwise. The global peak body liked him enough to give him an award. I follow him on Facebook and apart from persisting with the ALP thing, he's never posted anything I didn't mostly agree with.

Calling bullshit.

teacup posted:

You gotta think that sentiment is not exactly uncommon. I'm not saying they are the 'normal' voters in Warringah (if they were obviously things would be different) but they've gone from on again off again liberal voters to straight labor voters, surely others are going to start being put off enough, and an independant spoiler coming in, even if they are a 'tree tory' is still better than a liberal, even if you still shouldn't trust them for anything.

Based on surveys and polling done in Warringah that I have seen, this is totally not uncommon. It is a lot like Wentworth in that it's a $$$ area but not a redneck suburban wasteland like western Sydney, or whatever the gently caress is going on in the Shire. If it's anything like Curtin (Bishop's seat) over here, the bulk of the population are second or third generation millionaires, and their kids; private school alumni, generally walk into a GO8 and walk out with no HECS debt and a law/med/business degree. It's a highly educated demographic, that benefit fairly nicely from standard Liberal economic policies. But they don't want to lose their houses to Climate Change any more than the next guy, don't support homophobic policy, and don't really want to have to defend their proudly racist immigration policies to their foreign tablemates on the cruise ship at dinner.

These blue ribbon seats are all in peril if high enough profile independants run. They'll never vote for Labor, because a lifetime of chugging down LABAH WASTE coolaid doesn't just go away, and they do stand to lose economically - but if someone with credentials beyond "Was an Australian Idol Host" shows up and puts on a campaign as good as Phelps' (and provided Phelps isn't hot garbage once she starts the job), I think they could get up.

Abbott barely beat an empty chair in his own loving branch. People don't like him.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10...Twitter_Organic

More government agencies are accessing people's phone and internet records than originally envisaged, in what critics are describing as "authority creep".

Key points:
Access to metadata was initially restricted to 22 government agencies, but state-based agencies have blown that figure out
Because they are accessing metadata and not content of communications, no warrant is required
It is not known how many agencies are now able to request metadata
Controversial laws which came into force last year compel telecommunications companies to retain metadata on their customers, including information on who you call or text, where you make calls from, and who you send emails to.

To allay privacy concerns, access to the metadata was limited to 22 specific police and intelligence agencies, such as the Australian Federal Police, ASIO and state police forces.

But a parliamentary hearing has been told that number has blown out.

"There are many more than 22 agencies," John Stanton from Communications Alliance, the industry peak body, said.

"Many state-based agencies have come forward and started using their own state-based powers to request metadata.

"Authority creep, I guess you might call it."
The Communications Alliance told the parliamentary hearing telcos are getting around 1,000 requests for metadata each day.

It is not clear exactly how many agencies are now able to request access to stored metadata.

Because they are accessing the metadata and not the content of communications, the agencies are not required to get a warrant.

Shadow Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus expressed concern, noting access to stored metadata was supposed to be tightly restricted.

"It's a specified group of 22, reduced at the time of the mandatory data retention legislation going through from the previous very wide group of around 80."

What constitutes a 'systemic weakness'?
The concerns were raised in hearings held by the powerful Parliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence and Security.

The Committee is examining proposed laws about how agencies can access password-protected devices and the content of communications, including encrypted data.

What you found in Will's metadata
What you found in Will's metadata
We published ABC reporter Will Ockenden's metadata in full and hundreds of you helped analyse it. Here's what you got right — and wrong.
Critics have described the 'Assistance and Access' bill as forcing companies to give the Government "back-door" access to their customers' devices and data — something the Federal Government and national security agencies refute.

The legislation explicitly prohibits companies from being compelled to build "systemic weaknesses" into their technology for the benefit of police and intelligence agencies.

But what that means has not been defined.

"A systemic weakness means different things to different companies, and different things in different circumstances," Mr Dreyfus said.

"Who is going to decide what the systemic weakness is? Is it going to be the agency or is it going to be the tech company?"

Home Affairs Department secretary Michael Pezzullo told the committee hearing that authorities and companies will work together to determine what constitutes a "systemic weakness".

He said police and intelligence agencies don't want "back doors" to be built into systems any more than the telcos or the public.

What is metadata?
What is metadata?
What is metadata and how might it impact whistleblowers in media and politics?
"A systemic weakness would be something which would be universal, and therefore subject to the technical capacity of someone wishing to attack that weakness, [it] would be available to all attackers.

"That is the last thing we want."
Duncan Lewis, the director-general of spy agency ASIO, also sought to reassure critics, telling the parliamentary committee his agency is only interested in a small amount of data relevant to their investigations.

"I'll describe it as similar to using a pair of precision tweezers to extract a needle from a communication haystack," he said.

"We're looking to communication providers to help us pick that needle out of the haystack."

The ABC has contacted the Minister for Home Affairs for comment but has not yet had a response.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

You Am I posted:

So far I've seen him blame Turnbull for quitting and Morrison for being poo poo as a PM.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

JBP posted:

He was the smart one.

I like Swannie and I think Rudd is being a dickhead coz it's what he does best. That said, I'd like to know more about Rudd's claim that Swan was AWOL during the confrontation over the mining tax. I suspect it's Rudd blaming others for the failure of his administration but that mining tax confrontation is what led to Rudd getting knifed and arguably poisoning the well for Gillards administration. If it's true that some ALP figures were effectively on the side of the resource companies because they saw personal benefit then that's worth knowing, despite their other virtues.

I do think it's more likely that Rudd is throwing poo poo to try and salvage his reputation. But as much as I liked Gillard and Swan the mining tax angle on Rudd being knifed was a big loss for the ALP government and a big win for the climate change denial movement.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

You Am I posted:

Me too, brotherrrr

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

clusterfuck posted:

I like Swannie and I think Rudd is being a dickhead coz it's what he does best. That said, I'd like to know more about Rudd's claim that Swan was AWOL during the confrontation over the mining tax. I suspect it's Rudd blaming others for the failure of his administration but that mining tax confrontation is what led to Rudd getting knifed and arguably poisoning the well for Gillards administration. If it's true that some ALP figures were effectively on the side of the resource companies because they saw personal benefit then that's worth knowing, despite their other virtues.

I do think it's more likely that Rudd is throwing poo poo to try and salvage his reputation. But as much as I liked Gillard and Swan the mining tax angle on Rudd being knifed was a big loss for the ALP government and a big win for the climate change denial movement.

I remember I had just arrived in Perth when the mining tax was starting to roll and the government's advertising campaign was literally a bloke delivering a power point presentation. It was loving woeful.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Don Dongington posted:

I've never seen anything not written by a CHUD or a RUDD to suggest otherwise. The global peak body liked him enough to give him an award. I follow him on Facebook and apart from persisting with the ALP thing, he's never posted anything I didn't mostly agree with.

Wayne Swan in 2012 posted:

Yes, I find it pretty disturbing because the coal industry is a very important industry in Australia. I'm a very big supporter of the coal industry. It's a very important part of the economy in my home state of Queensland but it's very important in our national economy. And I've been working with the coal industry to make sure that it is sustainable over time. Yes we have to reduce greenhouse gas emissions but the coal industry is very important. It will be a very important supplier of power to the global economy for many years to come. So this is just completely irrational and destructive.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Blamestorm posted:

I swear this creeping Americanism is infectious.
It was only a couple of days ago another opinion writer called Turnbull and Hewson LINOs.

The big puzzler for me is how all these commentators think an affluent seat like Wentworth, prior to the weekend always conservative and home of multiple Liberal ministers and leaders, does not qualify as part of the "Liberal base".

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
That Rudd article is a good read. He has all the self reflection of Narcissus.

quote:

Mr Rudd said Mr Swan lacked the "cerebral horsepower" of the finance minister Lindsay Tanner and was missing in action during Labor's battle against the resources industry over the mining tax.

"It was an all-round appalling performance," Mr Rudd recalls.

Mr Rudd said weak treasurers could improve with careful tuition but that did not apply to Mr Swan because "that assumed there was a basic level of intellectual software capable of being trained, as well as a treasurer sufficiently interested in being trained."

"In Swan’s case, neither condition existed," Mr Rudd observed.

“The treasurer should always be one of your top order batsmen. At best, Swan would come to the crease in the low to middle order, often in trouble, always defending his wicket and ever-so-rarely on the front foot."

Unsurprisingly he can’t write prose for poo poo.

quote:

Mr Rudd writes: "'Julia, you do realise that I don’t intend to be prime minister for life? I have no intention of passing Howard’s record. In fact, I have no intention of passing Hawke’s record. This is a killing job, which you yourself will discover one day, not too many years hence.'

"She stared at me silently, intently.

"I continued: 'You know what my model for the future is for us, Julia? It’s what Peter Beattie did last year for Anna Bligh'.

"'Not only do I want you to be Australia’s first female prime minister, I want to smooth the way for that. In fact, I want to be part of making it happen.'"

Mr Rudd said Ms Gillard became "visibly uncomfortable" and asked him to drop the subject.

"I ignored her and said what I was feeling," Mr Rudd writes.

"'I want to win the 2010 election, win the 2013 election, and leave at some point during a third term.'"

"Julia just looked at me. Silently. Impassively. Then, saying she had a meeting to go to, she rose and walked out."

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I didn't even want to be Prime Minister!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-22/new-era-gun-lobby-to-play-role-in-more-election-campaigns/10395516

quote:

A gun industry lobby group backed by five of the largest Australian firearms wholesalers has declared its intention to intervene in state and federal elections to hold governments "accountable for the decisions they make".
The Shooting Industry Foundation of Australia (SIFA)'s corporate members have bankrolled its activities with more than $1.2 million since late 2014.
Its members are directors of local firms Nioa — which calls itself Australia's largest privately-owned supplier of small arms and ammunition — Raytrade, Outdoor Sporting Agencies and the Australian offshoots of international gun manufacturers Winchester and Beretta.
SIFA is leading a fresh bid to lobby governments over gun laws, 22 years after the Port Arthur massacre which saw the states and territories sign up to the National Firearms Agreement.
It has sponsored "shooting days" for federal politicians and donated tens of thousands of dollars to firearms-friendly political parties.
SIFA spokeswoman Laura Patterson told the ABC's Four Corners program that the organisation would consider getting involved in future elections, after doing so in Queensland last year.
"If the circumstances came up in any jurisdiction in this country where we felt that a communications campaign in parallel with a political election cycle was appropriate, then we would make that decision on any given day, given the circumstances," she said.
"We're looking to enter a new era of engagement. We want it to be open. We want people to understand who we are and why we're doing what we're doing.
"We want governments to be held accountable for the decisions they make."
The article mentions the owner of the company importing the rapid fire shotgun is Katter's son in law, which I hadn't known

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
EDIT: ^^^ guillotine.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Lol Turnbull's touched down in Sydney. I love how clearly he doesn't give a gently caress. If I was Turnbull I'd probably take my money and tell them to gently caress themselves, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...d_4zK2ofxOIoSgc

TL;DR - Greens dominating European elections, ripping votes from centre right and left parties as they all lurch to the right chasing a handful of votes and then say "I don't know why this keeps happening".

It's a shame the Aust Greens really suck at messaging since Di Natale took over, because there is absolutely ground to be gained at the moment, based on these demographic shifts.

• Locked thread