Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, I know Italy exists- it was the comparison point I was thinking of. If you're saying it's worse there, I believe you. The domestic politics of Japan with the whole one party hegemony and paired media system seemed worse.

The Corruption Perceptions Index is not perfect. However, given the subject matter it really is better than you would think because people tend to have an idea when and how much they are going to need to bribe public officials going about their daily life.

Japan ranks in the 70s on the CPI, among countries like Germany, while Italy is in the 40s among several countries in sub-saharan Africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
One of the partners in my last firm would sometimes, when a Russia would happen to block attempts at getting money from something state-affiliated via litigation, tell a European client that "this sucks balls, but what can you do, Russia is 130-something in the Corruption Perceptions Index, between [Sub-Saharan country X] and [South-East Asian country Z]"

this was not wrong

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Systems like this make me wonder why they don’t just do a monarchy. Bullshit democracies leave more room for corruption.

Because that would mean tossing out the constitution Dougie Mac wrote for them, and culturally you do not challenge your boss.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Look Sir Droids posted:

Systems like this make me wonder why they don’t just do a monarchy. Bullshit democracies leave more room for corruption.

But they are a monarchy

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Because that would mean tossing out the constitution Dougie Mac wrote for them, and culturally you do not challenge your boss.

Not Japan in particular, just that situation in general. A one party cabal with state run media doesn’t really count as a democracy. Why bother with the voting.

And I mean legit monarchy, not figureheads.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

America is basically a monarchy too. Don't @ me.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

@@@@

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Every time someone cites that :smug: "well actually America is an oligarchy" article I die a little inside. That thing's a methods and concepts garbage pit.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I think we would have been better off if we stayed with England. Change my mind.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Look Sir Droids posted:

I think we would have been better off if we stayed with England. Change my mind.

The UK is currently busy shedding unnecessary jobs, economic growth and all remaining spare parts of itself because a bunch of idiots called a vote to score political points knowing that the vote would lose, then stampeded to campaign for the losing side. When that side accidentally won, the majority of the idiots decided to roll with it and continue to campaign on who can sabotage the economy harder. The opposition party would be extremely well placed to capitalize on this, but their leader thinks the outcome was a good idea and is doing everything possible to prevent a re-vote that would put him in power from happening.

At the moment, 48% (but it's actually ~53-55% by now) of the country is represented by a party with ~5% of popular support whose even bigger idiot leader now has a job at Facebook apologizing for Facebook's taking lots of money from Russian trolls to make sure to push the vote in the first place.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
And both countries are far better off than France which desperately wants a do over so they can have le pen instead of macron

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mastershakeman posted:

And both countries are far better off than France which desperately wants a do over so they can have le pen instead of macron

Macron is the perfect example of the problem with milquetoast centrists. Seize the means of production or go the gently caress home.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Isn't Le Pen a literal Nazi or am I confusing the name with someone else?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Alexeythegreat posted:

Nope, they’re both Nazis.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Alexeythegreat posted:

Yeah she is. But she says native french should have social benefits while macron is telling everyone they need to work more for less

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Adar posted:

The UK is currently busy shedding unnecessary jobs, economic growth and all remaining spare parts of itself because a bunch of idiots called a vote to score political points knowing that the vote would lose, then stampeded to campaign for the losing side. When that side accidentally won, the majority of the idiots decided to roll with it and continue to campaign on who can sabotage the economy harder. The opposition party would be extremely well placed to capitalize on this, but

So you're saying it's pretty much exactly as if we had stayed.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Having spent the last week in France I can confirm that everyone I talked to who brought up Macron disliked him, running the gamut from country farmers to wealthy retirees to May 68 leftists.

However everyone also thought Le Pen was a shithead.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Melechon or bust, basically

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Having spent the last week in France I can confirm that everyone I talked to who brought up Macron disliked him, running the gamut from country farmers to wealthy retirees to May 68 leftists.

So they’re French and hate everyone.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Just a reminder, I won a 2 million dollar jury trial last week.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
If you win a 6 million dollar trial, can you petition to be nicknamed Steve Austin?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

SlyFrog posted:

So they’re French and hate everyone.

To paraphrase Sartre, Hell is other Frenchmen

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Was 2 million the spread from the award to the final judgment? What was the final judgement?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

drat, that's one hefty speeding ticket.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Hollande left office with like a 4% approval rating, and his predecessor is under investigation for corruption, so pretty sure France just elects than hates idiots

Macron fits the bill perfectly

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

Macron is the perfect example of the problem with milquetoast centrists. Seize the means of production or go the gently caress home.

Macron is seizing the means of production ... for the oligarch class.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

drat, that elderly widow must have been loaded.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

sullat posted:

drat, that's one hefty speeding ticket.

Wrong Texas law goon

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
How dare you

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blarzgh posted:

How dare you

Y'all look the same.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Oh yeah? Well I just got a 17 year old girl acquitted from a spurious rent claim from a lovely landlord company, five thousand dollars cash money :whatup:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
My war story is the best, I just got invited to a casting for an ad video by virtue of speaking some Swedish and looking ~~--*nordic*--~~ (i.e. my head isn't shaven and my suits aren't tracksuits)
Also it pisses me off that my dark blonde hair is classified as a type of redhead in this country

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alexeythegreat posted:

My war story is the best, I just got invited to a casting for an ad video by virtue of speaking some Swedish and looking ~~--*nordic*--~~ (i.e. my head isn't shaven and my suits aren't tracksuits)
Also it pisses me off that my dark blonde hair is classified as a type of redhead in this country

I think that's fair, you pretty much look exactly like every lawyer I know. Don't know about the redhead thing though, I think that might just be brown hair to be honest.

Fake edit: Although, I just looked in the mirror and my hair honestly looks darker. My beard is blonder, maybe? And I've shaved off all my hair so maybe that doesn't count any more. So yeah I totally believe you as scandinavian. Maybe finnish.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

Was 2 million the spread from the award to the final judgment? What was the final judgement?

Our initial number was 138k. They wanted 2.1m at hearing, got 2.1m on the award (my cases all have an admin phase then trial de novo in real court).

At trial, we said 138k. They said 2.1m.

Verdict: 138k. Jury said "we never even considered their number."

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Business this time by the way, no more war widows for me. I'm moving up in the world. Even got a corner office now.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nice piece of fish posted:

Oh yeah? Well I just got a 17 year old girl acquitted from a spurious rent claim from a lovely landlord company, five thousand dollars cash money :whatup:

I want more details on this

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Business this time by the way, no more war widows for me. I'm moving up in the world. Even got a corner office now.

You are office-ally (not officially) my hero! You did good. Hope you've got supreme health coverage and that your secretary is really hot and that he likes you ;)

mastershakeman posted:

I want more details on this

Really? lovely slumlord company rents out borderline illegal student apartments for shared accommodation. Landlord failed to provide a safe environment for said girl and she vacated after a couple of weeks, landlord hosed up the contract, tried to go after girl for breach of contract through collections for six months of rent, I shut that down, then they tried to get a summary judgement from the county tenant/landlord tribunal to circumvent my procedural objections, I shut that down and girl is free and clear having to pay nothing and since she's a minor I collect my fee from the county legal aid fund.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
So I've got a friend staying from California. For fun, he brought over a sample ballot. He was weirded out by our how-to-votes, I was weirded out by the write-in slot. Do write-in candidates ever win? I'm guessing the answer is "very rarely" at most, in which case my follow-up is "why include the option, and if they decline the position, does it just go to the second highest candidate?"

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Whitlam posted:

So I've got a friend staying from California. For fun, he brought over a sample ballot. He was weirded out by our how-to-votes, I was weirded out by the write-in slot. Do write-in candidates ever win? I'm guessing the answer is "very rarely" at most, in which case my follow-up is "why include the option, and if they decline the position, does it just go to the second highest candidate?"

One of Alaska's current Senators won as a right-in candidate in 2010. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_Alaska,_2010

Otherwise it's more common in small counties where you can convince 10 people at the polling place to write you in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Pook Good Mook posted:

One of Alaska's current Senators won as a right-in candidate in 2010. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_Alaska,_2010

Otherwise it's more common in small counties where you can convince 10 people at the polling place to write you in.

Oh yeah, that makes sense. I can see how that also might happen more for those really weird minor things that probably only like five people actually care about, like school building inspection commissioner or whatever the gently caress. Cheers.