Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

No,you eat your arse,fuckman!

Step aside guys, I'll handle this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

god drat that is the perfect snipe

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Nice

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Step aside guys, I'll handle this.

Thanks man,phew.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

JediTalentAgent posted:

I still think there was a way that Sony/Marvel could have had its cake and eaten it, too.

I think Marvel just wants near unfettered access to the Spider-Man assortment of characters, but I think Sony just wants the Spider-Man, himself, to keep making their films around.

With that being said, a thing I've said before in this thread: The Marvel/Sony thing should have been to just do 2-3 appearances of Peter Parker/Spider-man in the MCU. Kill him off. The MCU goes forward with no more Peter Parker, but we'd instead get Spider-Girl, Spider-Miles, etc. (because Sony was likely never going to do a full on live-action film with any of those any time soon) and an assortment of various Spidey-related characters/villains getting repurposed to be allies/arches for them.

Sony would retain doing new solo Peter Parker Spider-man series as they wanted to do with whatever villains they wanted to keep doing, Marvel gets to use just about every other Spider-**** incarnation.

sony had miles morales and gwen stacy versions of spiderman? i could swear those came after the sale of all their ip. or is it just a WE HAVE ALL SPIDER MAN EVERYTHING FOREVER NO TAKE BACKS.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

snergle posted:

sony had miles morales and gwen stacy versions of spiderman? i could swear those came after the sale of all their ip. or is it just a WE HAVE ALL SPIDER MAN EVERYTHING FOREVER NO TAKE BACKS.

Into the Spiderverse has both

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Sid Vicious posted:

Into the Spiderverse has both

Into The Spiderverse has a lot of spider people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg52up16eq0

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

snergle posted:

It was always questionable, I suppose. If Marvel had attempted to bypass Peter Parker-Spider-Man with any derivative characters I'm certain Sony would probably taken them to court as being too similar to the IP they had the rights to.

It's sort of like the Mutant X fiasco where Fox/Marvel got into it because even though they were all original characters, they shared the name of a Marvel title despite having NOTHING to do with that title.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I can't remember if it's a novelization or that the movie was based on a book, but the novel form of The Godfather has a long subplot about a woman with an abnormally large vagina, and her difficulties finding a man who uh, fits properly.

Like a reverse Cinderella almost, sorta.

The book for Jaws barely even deals with the shark, it's mostly about Chief Brody's wife having an affair with the oceanographer guy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

snergle posted:

That's the deal yeah, Sony gets anything new created in Spider-Man.

Fox's X-men deal was the same. Any new X-Men came under Fox's control too.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

How does that work with comic book villians?

For example: Sony own spiderman, but do they own Kraven the Hunter, who was if I remember correctly a primarily Spiderman villian.

Can Marvel use Kraven given that he is a Marvel character who most likely appeared in other publications vs other heroes at some time or another, or do SOny go "Nup, he is a mainly Spiderman villain, so you can't use him to fight Iron Man or whoever?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Marvel’s relationship with Sony was never as combative as it was with Fox so they didn’t test things like that. Spider-Man is in a pretty rare position where his villains have pretty much stayed his villains too.

But on the Fox side Marvel did argue that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, despite being mutants and Magneto’s children at the time, were more closely related with the Avengers. They sort of won the argument since they ended up being able to use them, although Fox was allowed too.

On the other hand Kang, although primarily seen as an Avengers villain, is with the Fantastic Four right’s because he debuted there.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They should pump out a Namor movie this year to gently caress with DC

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Namor belongs to Universal IIRC

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Namor serves no man

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Henchman of Santa posted:

The biggest problem with Prometheus and Covenant is that Ridley Scott thinks his androids are insanely cool but they’re not.

Prometheus should have been called Android and the sequel Androids to keep up with the franchise naming convention.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Samuringa posted:

Namor belongs to Universal IIRC

Imperius Rekt.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The book for Jaws barely even deals with the shark, it's mostly about Chief Brody's wife having an affair with the oceanographer guy.

Who, in a further break with the film, gets horribly eaten towards the end.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Phanatic posted:

In Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time there's a really overly-long subplot where one of the characters realizes that the same gunpowder that makes fireworks work could be turned into a weapon and starts figuring out how to cast bronze cannon, despite the fact that the series also involves a whole shitload of wizards who even if they're not very strong could easily manage to conjure a spark that would ignite gunpowder.

The weapons would be worse than useless in that fantasy world but their vulnerability is totally ignored and never even remarked upon.

In the Wheel of Time, essentially no one knows how fireworks work at all, other than the extremely secretive guild that makes them. Mat only figures it out because he steals one and nearly blows himself up. Plus, most of the enemy forces aren't wizards, and cannons that appear in magic windows all over the battlefield will wreck poo poo.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Prometheus works better as a Blade Runner sequel than an Alien prequel.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Android Apocalypse posted:

Prometheus works better as a Blade Runner sequel than an Alien prequel.

Why not both?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kruller posted:

In the Wheel of Time, essentially no one knows how fireworks work at all, other than the extremely secretive guild that makes them. Mat only figures it out because he steals one and nearly blows himself up. Plus, most of the enemy forces aren't wizards, and cannons that appear in magic windows all over the battlefield will wreck poo poo.

Im glad phanatic is being brutally owned by better people for being factually, objectively wrong about the wheel of time. I am still steamin about it holy poo poo what a dumbass

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bypassing wizards being able to detonate gunpowder at will by opening portals to fire cannons through is freakin rad. Assuming the portal wizards have a way of signalling the gunners to know when to fire?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kruller posted:

In the Wheel of Time, essentially no one knows how fireworks work at all, other than the extremely secretive guild that makes them. Mat only figures it out because he steals one and nearly blows himself up.

Uh, no. Mat "figures it out" because a former guild member who he rescued after the guild tried to kill for operating without a guild license first gives him a bunch of fireworks as a reward (which he then deliberately blows up) and then tells him "hey, maybe it'd be useful for this Last Battle you and your friends keep talking about if you found someone who knows how to cast big bronze church bells." She's working on building cannon (and grenades) well before Mat is.

She knows how they work. She knows there are wizards who can set her fireworks off at a glance, because she travels and hangs out with them. And they don't even use the "open portal, fire cannon, close portal" trick until the last battle, they are used well before this during the battle in Caemlyn without the portal trick. The special vulnerability of these weapons in this universe, where they could be blown the hell up by even the weakest wizard within eyesight, is never remarked upon by anyone at any time.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

Why not both?

It fits the timeliine. Humans develop AI. AI oppressed by humans. AI discovers Xenomorphs, profit?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Fil5000 posted:

Who, in a further break with the film, gets horribly eaten towards the end.

Yeah, that was some real fine expensive gear he brought on board. He's spent all of his life countin' money.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Uh, no. Mat "figures it out" because a former guild member who he rescued after the guild tried to kill for operating without a guild license first gives him a bunch of fireworks as a reward (which he then deliberately blows up) and then tells him "hey, maybe it'd be useful for this Last Battle you and your friends keep talking about if you found someone who knows how to cast big bronze church bells." She's working on building cannon (and grenades) well before Mat is.

She knows how they work. She knows there are wizards who can set her fireworks off at a glance, because she travels and hangs out with them. And they don't even use the "open portal, fire cannon, close portal" trick until the last battle, they are used well before this during the battle in Caemlyn without the portal trick. The special vulnerability of these weapons in this universe, where they could be blown the hell up by even the weakest wizard within eyesight, is never remarked upon by anyone at any time.

Its already been firmly established that the number of wizards is way low, like come on my dude. Most people think the wizards are myth, theve been culled almost to extinction. Cannon would have a massive impact on the world, i cant believe you are stepping up on this bro .

smdh

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Saw the new Halloween today and I have some issues. They're all standard slasher flick things but here they are.

So Laurie opted to become a paranoid shut in prepper and make a bunker to hold up in. Okay cool I can get behind that.

Except her house had windows on the ground floor and I didn't see any bars.

Clutter everywhere which would provide hiding spaces for Michael

A mannequin room on the second floor

Closet doors everywhere to hide in

A safe room that could just be broken into by someone pushing a kitchen island really hard

And when they went to hold up there she shut off every light in the house while turning on floodlights outisde. Which makes it easier to see if someone is standing outside and looking in but also makes it easier for them to hide in your clutter or mannequin room.

Each room in the house had a security gate that she shut after searching it for the murderer. gently caress it batten down every hatch. You'll either secure him in a room where the only exit is making a loud noise and breaking something or trap him in a hallway where he can't move

At the end he's trapped in the basement and can't get out. But instead of shooting him a few more times they just decide to set the house on fire and walk away? Shoot the bitch drat you

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Literally every weapon and person in these books could be "blown the hell up" by basically every wizard. Like that fear of magic is one of the key plot points in the books and why they carry out the magical equivalent of forced labotomies on any magic-using men before they go crazy and start blowing everyone up with or without the presence of gunpowder

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
People in superhero movies referring to them as running around in their underwear or longjohns when in universe no superhero ever wore anything resembling the classical golden age outfits or unitards preferring tactilol ribbed scaled bodyarmor

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Calaveron posted:

People in superhero movies referring to them as running around in their underwear or longjohns when in universe no superhero ever wore anything resembling the classical golden age outfits or unitards preferring tactilol ribbed scaled bodyarmor

Well they're obviously sold conscious about it or they'd be flipping around in a banana hammock in peace.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Calaveron posted:

This is part of a bigger problem superhero movies deal with of whether they exist in a world where fictional superheroes are part of popular culture/media. I think some movies acknowledge it and some don't

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

In Watchmen, they had pirate comics instead of superhero comics. IIRC the first issues of Superman were published but they failed to gain a market because superheroes were real.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My irritating thing with the new Halloween is Laurie having a teenage granddaughter when she’s canonically in her late 50s. Either her or Karen had a daughter at a pretty young age.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Here in Canada at least longjohns have this distinctive pattern of recessed squares, which could bear some similarity to superhero costume textures.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

My irritating thing with the new Halloween is Laurie having a teenage granddaughter when she’s canonically in her late 50s. Either her or Karen had a daughter at a pretty young age.

It's the midwest. It's entirely plausible.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's hardly a push to say Laurie and Karen both had a kid aged 21, which is all it would take to have a 16 year old grandchild at age 58. My grandmother had her first child aged 25 and her eldest grandchild was born when she was just past 43.

What bugs me more about Halloween is that in the original Michael was six when he killed his sister, but 15 years later Tony Moran is credited as "Michael (aged 23)".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bike tory posted:

This is part of a bigger problem superhero movies deal with of whether they exist in a world where fictional superheroes are part of popular culture/media. I think some movies acknowledge it and some don't

The fun thing is that DC Comics are fiction in Marvel universe and vice versa, generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

It's hardly a push to say Laurie and Karen both had a kid aged 21, which is all it would take to have a 16 year old grandchild at age 58. My grandmother had her first child aged 25 and her eldest grandchild was born when she was just past 43.

What bugs me more about Halloween is that in the original Michael was six when he killed his sister, but 15 years later Tony Moran is credited as "Michael (aged 23)".

I suppose that’s true. By modern standards that’s like having a kid as a teenager though.