Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
he's both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
he's a really smart guy with stupid political takes

go figure

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The good bits of his self-help stuff are common pieces of advice and the rest of his public work is loving bullshit. And there is a lot of bullshit.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Steven Seagal absolutely sucks

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I developed my entire philosophical worldview based on buttery lobstah rolls

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I learned what nihilism is, and thought that's about right. But, mysticism and absurdism stuck around to help me enjoy stuff.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah. He was a legit Aikido master in Japan, (too bad Aikido is kind of bullshit), but left that to do action movies instead and I guess he's dead now?

doverhog has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Oct 21, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

doverhog posted:

What do you guyes think of Jordan Peterson btw? I watched his Joe Rogan 3h podcast, and he has some good ideas w/r/t self improvement, but he is either really stupid, or mischaracterizes the leftist position w/r/t equality of outcome vs equality of opportunity on purpose, and thus is either stupid or dishonest.

He is a brilliant man who has merged basic self-help advice with Jungian mysticism, evolutionary psychology, and social Darwinism. By merging three pseudo-sciences with life advice found in literally any other self-help book, Dr. Peterson is teaching a whole generation of frustrated young men that by cleaning their room they are doing battle with the dragon of feminine chaos and staking out their space on the seafloor of life, away from all the other human lobsters we are all in constant competition with.

Frankly, I think it's actually really cool and not at all hilariously horrifying that Jordan Peterson is the preeminent thinker of our times.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It owns that Steven Seagal is a gross butterball nowadays and Jean Claude Van Damme still looks good nearing 60.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

doverhog posted:

I learned what nihilism is, and thought that's about right. But, mysticism and absurdism stuck around to help me enjoy stuff.

:hfive: Just trying to enjoy the show while the clock runs out. :munch:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The good bits of his self-help stuff are common pieces of advice and the rest of his public work is loving bullshit. And there is a lot of bullshit.

I haven't read Jordan Peterson, and my love of illiteracy and his own reputation discourages me from doing that. But how he's described like how you describe him sounds entirely plausible. An appropriate and meaningful responsibility is actually good for the human. But any kind of self-help that doesn't go beyond just the self helping itself is ultimately fruitless and not agreeable.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I've never read any of his stuff because I'm illiterate, but it's all psychobabble misogynist bullshit anyway.

His popularity is purely because he attracts scared weak men by telling them that it's not their fault they are scared and weak.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
he talks like Kermit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buD2RM0xChM

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Aramek posted:

I've never read any of his stuff because I'm illiterate, but it's all psychobabble misogynist bullshit anyway.

His popularity is purely because he attracts scared weak men by telling them that it's not their fault they are scared and weak.

In case it wasn't clear, I'm not a fan, and never read anything just listened to him talk to Joe Rogan for 3 hours. I've listened to other people do that too, like the format. Even if Rogan is dumb about things, if someone sits there for 3 hours talking to him you see who they are a lot better than watching some 5 minute clips or whatever.

But, he tells them the opposite really. It's your fault if you are weak, start by cleaning your room you piece of poo poo. His success, at a guess, is because he appears like a father to the sad racists, who think they should be rich and getting laid more. "I agree my son, you should get both, now go clean your room and poo poo".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
James of Team Rocket was the best pokemon trainer. He never “caught” them, just befriended them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah it’s like with PUA or any of these others kinds of groups: amidst all the nonsense and misogyny there are a couple of things that are actually decent bits of advice, but there’s nothing secret about them and nothing that you can’t get from somewhere else and skip the rest of that toxic poo poo.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

James of Team Rocket was the best pokemon trainer. He never “caught” them, just befriended them.

:hai:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
James is also stupid hot and crazy rich.

He's literally perfect.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

doverhog posted:

What do you guyes think of Jordan Peterson btw?

He's a loving moron who refuses to say anything substantial. Also he's a huge man-child that can't handle drinking apple juice.

spit on my clit posted:

he's a really smart guy

Incorrect

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I lump peterson in with dumbasses like Ben Shapiro/Steven Crowder. Talking over people smugly doesn't mean you're intelligent or a "good debater", it just makes you a loud rear end in a top hat.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Peterson was out debated by Sam Harris and Matt Dillahunty pretty easily in regards to his "traditional religion has a lot of merit" talking points, but due to everyone being in "never ending culture wars" mode it hasn't slowed his supporters one bit.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jordan Peterson's academic work was apparently solid and highly praised before he wrote his lobster book. Also he needs to be studied in business school because I think he has the most successful patreon of all time for an individual.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I think I lean on, he is calculating, and in fact smart. He saw an opening to be a self help writer and went for it. Probably was himself surprised by the level of success and his role in the culture war. That does not exonerate him.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Even a moron can dupe other morons out of their money. Stop pretending that getting on the conservative grift is any sign of intelligence.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mu Zeta posted:

Jordan Peterson's academic work was apparently solid and highly praised before he wrote his lobster book. Also he needs to be studied in business school because I think he has the most successful patreon of all time for an individual.

He mostly rose to mainstream renown by claiming that Canada had made it a felony to misgender anyone. I don’t know much about his world pre-2016 but from Wikipedia it sounds like he shut down his clinic after he got famous

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Who What Now posted:

Even a moron can dupe other morons out of their money. Stop pretending that getting on the conservative grift is any sign of intelligence.

I am an rear end in a top hat. Why do I work for a living instead of just filming myself alternately playing video games and screaming talking points into a webcam?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I am an rear end in a top hat. Why do I work for a living instead of just filming myself alternately playing video games and screaming talking points into a webcam?

Good question

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
a lot of the grifters, even the very popular ones, have a lot of trouble converting their social media presences into money. given the size of their audiences they would almost certainly make more money just plugging fit tea and dildo discount codes and have the added benefit of not being giant loving racists.

laura loomer was supposedly living on her legal defense fee fund for a whole (esp after her decaying car tires blew out i mean were attacked by antifa katanas) and i think i heard mike cernovich lives on alimony from his successful wife and lives in a basement.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Who What Now posted:

Stop pretending that getting on the conservative grift is any sign of intelligence.

Yes please and thank you, I get so tired of this.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I was talking about Peterson specifically, not anyone else.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Why is eating steak supposed to be macho? Cows are really easy to kill. Plus it's not like any macho steak n potatoes dudes work on the kill floor.

Come back to me when you wrassle and kill a fuckin gator.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Because red meat is bad for you

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Its expensive and often eaten not cooked the whole way. Being successful usually means having money so being able to eat a lot of steak whenever you want is signalling success. Knowing it in and out like all the proper ways to eat each cut while bragging about how raw you eat it is all about being seen doing that. Its stupid.

Like steak is good sure but making a huge deal about it like that while judging others for how they take their steak is just idiotic.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Its expensive and often eaten not cooked the whole way. Being successful usually means having money so being able to eat a lot of steak whenever you want is signalling success. Knowing it in and out like all the proper ways to eat each cut while bragging about how raw you eat it is all about being seen doing that. Its stupid.

Like steak is good sure but making a huge deal about it like that while judging others for how they take their steak is just idiotic.

nah

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Mu Zeta posted:

Because red meat is bad for you

I don't think so, explain why you think so.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

starkebn posted:

I don't think so, explain why you think so.

It's a simple google search. Red meat is manlier because it's fattier. It's better to eat too much chicken than too much beef. That's why it's macho.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Chicken is better for the environment which I guess makes it liberal and womanish too.

(Yes there is arid land unsuitable for farming which can be productively utilized to graze cattle. This is not where most cattle come from.)

E: that might be political lemme deflect into a less derailable topic: the last jedi is good.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 00:16 on Oct 24, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

It's a simple google search. Red meat is manlier because it's fattier. It's better to eat too much chicken than too much beef. That's why it's macho.

BUT IT'S SO DELICIOUS

Under natural surroundings meat wasn't something that people ate a lot of all the time. Contemporary western diets where we eat meat every single meal are actually quite horrid for you. We just aren't meant to eat this much meat. Well we actually just aren't meant to eat as much as we do in America overall, really. We can survive on a wide variety of different diets but a diet heavy on red meat is one of the worst possible from a health and lifespan standpoint.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I was in college I did a summer abroad in Spain. I didn't remember consciously eating less per day, but it was a huge culture shock when I came back to the US because the portions were so much larger. The restaurants in other countries simply serve less food. I never felt like I was being ripped off or anything. We just serve too much food in the US.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I agree friend, America is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I always felt like I got just as big if not bigger portions at most restaurants i've been to in german-speaking Europe anyway. I think you just have to do a fair comparison with restaurant tiers. Like of course the portions you get at a fancy french steakhouse or something are going to be smaller than a US truck stop diner. It's not like there aren't any fat europeans.