Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Psion posted:

the math on auras is opaque but that doesn't make you correct, but I don't want to get into it. suffice to say there's actual factual evidence of what it does and then there's your "subjective feel"

given that a lot of people will bring corrosive weapons to some degree it's generally not much of a problem in most content in the game and it's not akin to killing someone's pet dog in front of them when all 4 people aren't using the same aura like some act like it is

warframe is easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I think I just have an easier time letting go of trying to eek every bit of power out as possible. Like, I’m not even trying to jam umbra mods in frames anymore cause it takes away flexibility I might want. Either for alternate builds or future flexibility.

I’m actually thankful I started playing years ago when the game was smaller. Being a new player now has to be daunting.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Psion posted:

the math on auras is opaque but that doesn't make you correct, but I don't want to get into it. suffice to say there's actual factual evidence of what it does and then there's your "subjective feel"

I know, I've seen it. I've watched explanations of how it works on Youtube, and they made it pretty clear. Below triple digits, your better off trying to actually hit weaknesses. Above? Corrosive, Viral, and Slash are literally the only status' in the game that matters in any way. So unless you're doing a sortie or an endurance run, it's really not AS important as everyone makes it out to be. When you ARE doing those on the other hand, you either them or you are contributing nothing at all to the team, because hitting a Heavy Bombard with its listed weakness of Radiation will take about 3x as long than if you just start burning his armor. It's a drat near hard switch on whether or not you need them.

I think the importance of CorPro is less about you needing it for ALL THE GAME, EVER, and more...well what the Hell are you going to do with 0.6 energy per second anyway?

The main message I'm trying to get across here is, newbies? If you don't have CorPro yet (and that's a good chance, it's a rare Alert reward), don't worry. It's not as all consuming as the thread might make you think, especially if you're still on the Starmap.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 22, 2018

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Raptor1033 posted:

what. just fuckin' play
That's what my post implied?

Doesn't change the fact that if the YouTube guide you're looking at is based on stacking 3 rare mods to hit a certain healing return so you don't kill yourself, that not having the mods won't let it work.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Flytrap posted:

I think the importance of CorPro is less about you needing it for ALL THE GAME, EVER, and more...well what the Hell are you going to do with 0.6 energy per second anyway?

it's both. there's one aura slot, so obviously by choosing one you cannot choose any of the other aura effects, opportunity cost 101. aura polarity means you're potentially giving up mod cap, and forma locks that in even more. All that means is eventually, a player has to pick one. The thread's position of ABC isn't just "this is good at endgame" but also 'slot the one that WILL matter later and forget about it.' this isn't inherently a bad thing to tell a new player, it removes one point of confusion in an overwhelmingly difficult to pick up frame and weapon mod system.

also to be honest if you'd led with that instead of the dismissive "i know the thread hollers about it" you would've been better off. that kind of post is needlessly antagonistic over something even you agree is a good aura to use for a nonzero portion of the game (and not wrong the rest of the time) ... kinda counterproductive, wouldn't you think?

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 22, 2018

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Psion posted:

it's both. there's one aura slot, so obviously by choosing one you cannot choose any of the other aura effects, opportunity cost 101. aura polarity means you're potentially giving up mod cap, and forma locks that in even more. All that means is eventually, a player has to pick one. The thread's position of ABC isn't just "this is good at endgame" but also 'slot the one that WILL matter later and forget about it.' this isn't inherently a bad thing to tell a new player, it removes one point of confusion in an overwhelmingly difficult to pick up frame and weapon mod system.

also to be honest if you'd led with that instead of the dismissive "i know the thread hollers about it" you would've been better off. that kind of post is needlessly antagonistic over something even you agree is a good aura to use for a nonzero portion of the game (and not wrong the rest of the time) ... kinda counterproductive, wouldn't you think?

Ah, yes, I suppose that was some very poor word choice on my part. Apologies, I really should have proofread my post first, especially since I know I have a history of tone issues.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

fair enough :hfive:

plus, you're ps4 right? on PC getting corpro is literally as easy as saying it in chat. this does change the whole acquisition-for-newbies angle. I understand that's not always the case on console, right?

like i have literally seen races to the dojo to slam a corpro into a MR2 player's hands, it's kind of amusing to watch. i'm definitely saying "watch" to pretend I didn't lose the race, absolutely :v:

e: though to be clear, new players, don't stop playing the game for any aura. just get it when you have the opportunity.

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 22, 2018

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Psion posted:

fair enough :hfive:

plus, you're ps4 right? on PC getting corpro is literally as easy as saying it in chat. this does change the whole acquisition-for-newbies angle. I understand that's not always the case on console, right?

Yeah. While I did eventually pick one up from chat, the chat in console is much, muuuch slower. You might have to wait a while for there to be enough people to ask. At least that's my experience as someone who primarily plays at the dead of night, it might be a lot faster in the daytime.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Psion posted:

There's usually about 3-5 people on PS4 at any given time, more like 5-10 at weekends. They're not always up for helping play, but if you ask in alliance chat for a mod, someone will quickly nip down to the dojo and give you what you need.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

FileNotFound posted:

Hyrdon or NOS. Get carried. Get to 30. Sell if it's non prime. If it's Prime - there are a handful of cases where Vauban is not useless - but for the most part Vauban has been powercrept into obsolescence by other frames.

Kuva survival. He's still ok-ish for protecting stuff.

FileNotFound posted:

Unfortunately as a frame, he does not bring anything to the table in terms of genocide in a game where vast majority of the missions revolve around destroying a people and their way of life.

I used to love Vauban for excavations on the grounds that bastille's range was enough to keep you out of of various auras. But he's probably eclipsed in that role by Limbo nowadays.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I love the sheer variety in tone in Warframe backstories.

Mirage: A warrior to the end, fought to the death to protect her allies. In her last moments, as she lay dying, she chose to use her time comforting the person holding her dying form.

Inaros: The rebel from the sky. Slaughtered all who would dare try to hurt the people of Mars, eventually tore himself apart to protect his people from The Infested.

Titania: The unwanted. Despised by her creator, her love for the world was such that she fought to her last breath to protect her creator, as she was the last hope for a reborn world.

Rhino: A rampaging beast of pain and hatred. Literally eats his captors alive as he tears through the lab that made him.

Limbo: Tried to do a sick kickflip across dimensions and faceplanted so hard he exploded across time and space.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Octavia: The Tenno were lacking in sick bass drops.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Flytrap posted:

Limbo: Tried to do a sick kickflip across dimensions and faceplanted so hard he exploded across time and space.

this is good

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Flytrap posted:

this is the first thing that's ever made me reconsider my hatred of Limbo

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
There has only been one time I was like "oh god limbo" and then turned around and thought "thank you, limbo". 99% of the time I see a Limbo I resign myself to the warframe equivalent of accidentally stepping in dogshit tripping across rifts.

I've done most every quest in the game but can't bring myself to do Limbo Theorem. I don't want him. Because I know I'd be just as bad as using him as other pubbies.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

You don't enjoy "M'Lady"ing while making GBS threads up the battlefield for eveyone else?

Farmer Jimbo
Mar 11, 2005

CC Plox.
Pyrana Prime is probably the best secondary atm:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

njsykora posted:

Octavia: The Tenno were lacking in sick bass drops.

Octavia: all about the bass, no Tenno

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Farmer Jimbo posted:

Pyrana Prime is probably the best secondary atm:

if only you had 0.1% more crit chance

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Flytrap posted:

When you ARE doing those on the other hand, you either them or you are contributing nothing at all to the team, because hitting a Heavy Bombard with its listed weakness of Radiation will take about 3x as long than if you just start burning his armor. It's a drat near hard switch on whether or not you need them.

Two exceptions here: Gas can be extremely powerful against non armored enemies, especially on AOE weapons. If you hit a group, each proc is another AoE that will increase damage geometrically depending on how many enemies are around.

And if you're going for slow firing crit weapons you're better off going for radiation because you will one shot high level enemies before any statuses can proc.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Limbo is actually extremely sick and good.

1. Dodge roll moves you into rifts.
In addition to its great benefits of being able to troll teammates, you are at any given time one dodge-roll away from near-invincibility. This means if you use it right, you can pop in and out of the rift murdering when you want and taking no damage as you choose. Best, moving between rift mode doesn't cost energy! Or, you can banish the group you want to murder and have them join you in the rift. Note that rifted enemies you murder replenish energy, so this is almost free. Or, you can stay safe while reviving teammates.

2. Rift mode doesn't trigger alarm lasers
If you suck at spy, this is very useful. If you do Lua spy, you will praise the void for this poo poo. Also he can do this at kickflip speed instead of Ivara's poo poo-rear end snail-crawl. Ivara is a bad frame for idiot-babies. Don't @ me.

3. Defending poo poo
Obviously cataclysm can be used to defend objectives, but Stasis will freeze everything in the rift, for a base of 15 seconds (duration increases this). This is basically infinite time to pound on chumps. Rescue targets and sortie defense targets can be banished. Cool, now the enemy can't do poo poo and even an incompetent pub team can succeed. Unlike frost or gara's protection, this isn't a hitpoint based protection so that's real good at dealing with scaling enemies.

In conclusion, Limbo is a frame of many contrasts. Throughout history, many people have wondered if Limbo is good. The answer? Yes.
*tips tophat*

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NecroMonster posted:

You don't enjoy "M'Lady"ing while making GBS threads up the battlefield for eveyone else?
I just suffered through the most painful 5 rounds of Orokin defence I have ever dragged myself through and of course it was loving limbo setting off the lasers.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Hobold posted:

I just accepted that mines not gonna have the best damage. Dropped what was going to be punch through mod for the recoil. Much, much easier to deal with. Thing fires like its trying to impress a Supra Vandal.

I sacrificed a lot of damage/elemental mods for the magazine/reload mods, but I definitely included the punchthrough mod in that - Pyrana NEEDS to kill things as quickly as possible, and punchthrough is excellent at that. If you're killing a LOT of things quickly the odds are that they aren't particularly strong, so you don't NEED big damage mods, you just need to make it so that you have as little downtime as possible, since when the buff kicks in you're effectively getting a 100% damage boost by doubling your fire rate and magazine size. Reloading might only take like 1.07seconds, but if you've got the second one out that reload is really going to cut into time that could be spent going BLAMBLAMBLAM so I mitigate it as much as possible.

Also every time I get a fissure bonus it's the unlimited ammo one, so wheee!

Speaking of which, is there a way to tell mid-mission what the reactant/fissure bonuses you get actually ARE?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Flytrap posted:

I love the sheer variety in tone in Warframe backstories.
I was going to attempt some other ones but you got all the good ones. Atlas, Chroma and Nidus are kind of 'cool quest bro now here's a completely unrelated warframe.'

Harrow: For the love of god someone cut him a break.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Nidus isn't unrelated to his quest, though. His strain of infestation is the one the wossnames cultivated theirs from that allowed them to do whatever it was they did, I thought.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

McKilligan posted:

Speaking of which, is there a way to tell mid-mission what the reactant/fissure bonuses you get actually ARE?

Yeah whatever gets the bonus gets that void-static thing, like the enemies do when they get void-rifted. Check if your frame, primary, secondary, or melee has a static animation, and whichever one has the thing got the bonus. Primary/secondary is unlimited ammo, I believe melee weapon is unlimited channeling (lol), and frame static is double frame strength and range.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

McKilligan posted:

look at what part of you is glowing gold is my only way

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Nidus isn't unrelated to his quest, though. His strain of infestation is the one the wossnames cultivated theirs from that allowed them to do whatever it was they did, I thought.
The quest is about winning some child slaves back from the corpus. Thematically he kind of feels tacked on because the colony happens to be in the middle of an infested planet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I just completed glast gambit and the reward is only mentioned as an "old orokin relic" or something. A warframe is never mentioned with regards to the colonists.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

McKilligan posted:

The only way to tell in-game is to look at your Warframe/weapon on screen and seeing if they have that gritty gold sheen that the Corrupted mobs have.

If it’s on your Warframe, it means you have double Power Stregth for the duration.

On your primary/secondary, that weapon has infinite ammo.

On your melee weapon? I actually don’t know what the bonus is.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Oh yeah, I forgot about that part of Glast Gambit. The 'lose intentionally' part was so annoying I guess I'd completely blocked it from memory

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

gaj70 posted:

I used to love Vauban for excavations on the grounds that bastille's range was enough to keep you out of of various auras. But he's probably eclipsed in that role by Limbo nowadays.

Yup - Vauban used to be a favorite frame of mine, still one of the top 5 most played for me - but that's really from years ago. He's been gathering dust these days.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Limbo is actually extremely sick and good.

1. Dodge roll moves you into rifts.
In addition to its great benefits of being able to troll teammates, you are at any given time one dodge-roll away from near-invincibility. This means if you use it right, you can pop in and out of the rift murdering when you want and taking no damage as you choose. Best, moving between rift mode doesn't cost energy! Or, you can banish the group you want to murder and have them join you in the rift. Note that rifted enemies you murder replenish energy, so this is almost free. Or, you can stay safe while reviving teammates.

2. Rift mode doesn't trigger alarm lasers
If you suck at spy, this is very useful. If you do Lua spy, you will praise the void for this poo poo. Also he can do this at kickflip speed instead of Ivara's poo poo-rear end snail-crawl. Ivara is a bad frame for idiot-babies. Don't @ me.

3. Defending poo poo
Obviously cataclysm can be used to defend objectives, but Stasis will freeze everything in the rift, for a base of 15 seconds (duration increases this). This is basically infinite time to pound on chumps. Rescue targets and sortie defense targets can be banished. Cool, now the enemy can't do poo poo and even an incompetent pub team can succeed. Unlike frost or gara's protection, this isn't a hitpoint based protection so that's real good at dealing with scaling enemies.

In conclusion, Limbo is a frame of many contrasts. Throughout history, many people have wondered if Limbo is good. The answer? Yes.
*tips tophat*

The sortie D target is a suicidal idiot who will not hesitate to keep walking out of Limbo's bubble. Gara is better for this because the idiot can't move through her walls so you can herd the guy into a corner and keep him in useless rear end in a top hat jail for 10 waves.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

He won’t?! This is a game changer

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Sometimes you get a smart mark that knows when to just hide under the stairs and Grakata anything that gets too close

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

And Tyler Too! posted:

The sortie D target is a suicidal idiot who will not hesitate to keep walking out of Limbo's bubble. Gara is better for this because the idiot can't move through her walls so you can herd the guy into a corner and keep him in useless rear end in a top hat jail for 10 waves.

I also like the Gara strategy of making him a useful rear end in a top hat by actually giving him a good gun and pumping up Shatter Shield.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I can never remember; do the guns you give hostages carry your mods/rivens?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

They most certainly do.

e: Hostage target aim is not always the best and they tend to like magdumping, so guns with poor uptime and/or slow reloads aren't really the best choice. Pyrana Prime actually kinda sucks, for example, while Mara Detron is great.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 22, 2018

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

And Tyler Too! posted:

You don't use cataclysm on the sortie target, you use banish and then it's just him in the rift and he can go where he likes as long as it isn't a nullifier bubble.

Didn't know that about the Gara wall though, that's neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

hup posted:

I can never remember; do the guns you give hostages carry your mods/rivens?

Yes - at least as far as I can tell and they have infinite ammo.