Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Party Plane Jones posted:

welcome to the fun i go through
Yeah apparently giving succdems a safe space to poo poo-talk other threads and posters and ignoring the resulting reports just emboldens them to kramer into other threads to try the same stuff there, too. Who would have thought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

:qq:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

kidkissinger posted:

Apparently every thread is the Trump thread now. Very cool!

this is, incidentally, part of why Guyovich decided to permit some level of USPOLchat in Trump thread

I made a good faith effort to participate in this one and can almost guarantee that reports by and against me for shitposting, of various levels of validity, were small but nonzero contributors to him retracting his "let's make USPOL the only general USPOL allowed thread" policy.

2020 Primary Thread has actually gone pretty well though so far, all things considered.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm not sure "at least they're honest monsters!" is a good defense here.

What we're basically at currently is "Trump is nominally better on foreign policies in some minor to moderate aspects by virtue of being too incompetent to successfully manage and execute American empire" which is... not really morally better, in my opinion.

He's actually blundered into a somewhat reasonable position on Venezuela SO FAR, in terms of actual things accomplished. But that, too, has more to do with the military dudes who workshopped a coup being morons and Trump being a moron than any actual decent intended plan.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Obviously Donald Trump has political interests with regards to how he interacts with other nations, the episode with MBS being the latest and most obvious example of that, but I'm not so sure there's really anything you could call a coherent foreign policy when so far it really seems more a series of events that occur because his handlers can't control him in the same way they can ignore orders to assassinate Bashar al-Assad or hide his phone when he thinks up a great tweet to kick off Korean War 2.0: Nuclear Boogaloo.

Oh and congratulations to LK on the modship, sucker.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Office Pig posted:

Oh and congratulations to LK on the modship, sucker.

:yayclod: I give it about 3 weeks before I gently caress something up badly enough that everyone hates me.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

:yayclod: I give it about 3 weeks before I gently caress something up badly enough that everyone hates me.

I was actually wondering about that but figured you'd had the mod star for months and I just hadn't noticed.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I was actually wondering about that but figured you'd had the mod star for months and I just hadn't noticed.

Haha nope, this is as of about an hour ago.

Actually I'm just the laziest mod in SA history, I've had it for six months but didn't do any mod work until tonight.

Edit: for the record Kilroy, I gave you that probe because I think you taking the bait was bad posting, but I agree with the point you were making. :shobon:

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 22, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Haha nope, this is as of about an hour ago.

Actually I'm just the laziest mod in SA history, I've had it for six months but didn't do any mod work until tonight.

Edit: for the record Kilroy, I gave you that probe because I think you taking the bait was bad posting, but I agree with the point you were making. :shobon:

Yeah, I just went and read the mod nomination thread.

I inexplicably got two votes. There's probably a German word for "feeling flattered but believing the opinion expressed, while sincere, is wrong".

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Kilroy posted:

Yeah apparently giving succdems a safe space to poo poo-talk other threads and posters and ignoring the resulting reports just emboldens them to kramer into other threads to try the same stuff there, too. Who would have thought?

Hey, the Trump thread is about talking about Trump and Trump only.

And hurricanes. And voter suppression, and Supreme Court hearings, and school shootings, and random black kids being murdered, and police brutality, and fundraising for dems, and congressional races, and whatever else happens to glance through someone's mind, but NOT how there's a systematic failure in our politics that may include the democratic party.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Yes, force is the only language understood by the brutish Russian or the inscrutable Chinee. We need a strong virile figure like Bill Hillary Clinton leading our nation! The uncivilized rabble must be made to understand that dominance is our destiny burden right as White Americans!

Me pointing out that Obama's Federal government's national and foreign policies were better for Americans and non Americans than Trump's does not mean I think this you freaking nut.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Main Paineframe posted:

How is Trump backing dictators even as they engage in massacres of protesters somehow worse than Obama backing protester-massacring dictators in open defiance of a US law banning him from doing so?

Even having any diplomatic relations at all is serious progress.

Neither is good, but saying what Obama was doing, as a whole, is worse than what Trump is doing, makes you either an idiot or worse.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

drilldo squirt posted:

Neither is good, but saying what Obama was doing, as a whole, is worse than what Trump is doing, makes you either an idiot or worse.

But the post that started this whole derail off wasn't about their foreign policy as a whole, it was about their foreign policy in regards to the Saudis. You just unilaterally changed the subject (and hoped no one would notice) when we started posting proof of Obama treating other dictatorships exactly the same way Trump is treating the Saudis.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I think Obama should have been harder on the Saudis but I also think Trump is being even easier than Obama was.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I noted this in the Thunderdome but I'll say it here too:

:siren: I'm gonna start handing out sixers to people who use "retarded" and other ableist slurs. :siren:

This is D&D, not GBS. Post better. Report people who you see doing this.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Frightening Knight posted:

I noted this in the Thunderdome but I'll say it here too:

:siren: I'm gonna start handing out sixers to people who use "retarded" and other ableist slurs. :siren:

This is D&D, not GBS. Post better. Report people who you see doing this.

Oh, so you've already gone mad with power.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Oh, so you've already gone mad with power.

If that's what power madness looks like then you're goddamn right. :getin:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

He's actually blundered into a somewhat reasonable position on Venezuela SO FAR, in terms of actual things accomplished. But that, too, has more to do with the military dudes who workshopped a coup being morons and Trump being a moron than any actual decent intended plan.

I’ll take it. That’s better than Obama or Bush Jr.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

One or the nicer things I'm noticing on social media is when some gormless media husk starts crying about the terrible road we are on and the horrible reprecussions where powerful Senators are yelled at during dinner the responce are near unanimous in either politely pointing out that the real danger has long past started and it's these guys doing what they can to make life worse for everyone or just straight calling then bootlicking scum. There couldn't be a more telling example of how isolated you are from real problems where you watch what our leaders are doing on a daily basis and think about that the real pain and suffering or road to violence is the noble class not enjoying their meal.

Sensible media is doing everything it can to prove Trump right (once again for entirely the wrong reasons) that they are beyond worthless. There's a lot of good work being done but the big names are really trying their best to show that they aren't interested in anything except making sure they get to keep going to the same parties while the country collapses.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 22, 2018

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

drilldo squirt posted:

I think Obama should have been harder on the Saudis but I also think Trump is being even easier than Obama was.

Yeah, the only thing that would be different is that Obama would have furrowed his brow and said he was concerned about this.

If this is a meaningful distinction for you then IDK what to say.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

kidkissinger posted:

Yeah, the only thing that would be different is that Obama would have furrowed his brow and said he was concerned about this.

you could make the argument, if you were really interested in fanfiction, that because Obama had ~slightly~ cooler relationships with the Saudis they might not have figured they could do this without anyone raising a fuss

the counterpoint to this is that Mohammed Bin Salman's arrogance is matched only by his heart-stopping stupidity

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

kidkissinger posted:

I at least give Obama credit for trying to create a relationship with the Iranians so we had a plausible alternative to the Saudis as our only significant regional ally outside of Israel.

But yeah, his reaction would have been largely the same as Trump's, except putting a way better face on it as to make it look not nearly as bad.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/norml/status/1054421112719843328?s=21

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

At first glance I didn't see the headline extended to a second line and thought 66% seemed unusually low.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Radish posted:

One or the nicer things I'm noticing on social media is when some gormless media husk starts crying about the terrible road we are on and the horrible reprecussions where powerful Senators are yelled at during dinner the responce are near unanimous in either politely pointing out that the real danger has long past started and it's these guys doing what they can to make life worse for everyone or just straight calling then bootlicking scum.

Some guy who studied early American politics pointed out on Twitter that they're completely full of poo poo, American politics were built on treating your elected officials like trash if they sold you out. There were apparently incidences in the 1700s where constituents showed up at pol houses and literally pulled the place apart board by board and brick by brick with their bare hands and walked home with pieces of their rep's house as souvenirs. And also got in fistfights with them, and other extremely "direct" confrontations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Some guy who studied early American politics pointed out on Twitter that they're completely full of poo poo, American politics were built on treating your elected officials like trash if they sold you out. There were apparently incidences in the 1700s where constituents showed up at pol houses and literally pulled the place apart board by board and brick by brick with their bare hands and walked home with pieces of their rep's house as souvenirs. And also got in fistfights with them, and other extremely "direct" confrontations.

Yeah I saw the same one. The entire concept of civility and decorum was created entirely to make sure the privileged classes were beyond even critisism and it's totally bogus. Both parties have basically made it as difficult as possible to remove them via democratic means and then isolate themselves from any sort of public interaction while making statements through controlled media avenues.

They really are offended that the public is starting to not take their abuse with gentle good humor.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

kidkissinger posted:

I disagree,I think he would have done more.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

drilldo squirt posted:

So you think this is worse then SA committing genocide in Yemen? Because Obama was on board with that. In fact we sold them the planes and provided in-flight refueling for them while they incinerated school buses and whatnot.

But sure, you FEEL Obama would have been better even though he facilitated far graver crimes during his own presidency.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

No, he wouldn't. Obama personally interceded to keep a Yemeni journalist in prison because he had pictures that showed that a missile strike that killed 21 children and 14 women was done by a US drone instead of the Yemen military:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/06/yemen-journalist-shaye-human-rights-defenders-award-drones

quote:

Shaye came to prominence when he personally picked through fragments from one such strike, in Majala, establishing that US missiles – not the Yemeni military – had been responsible for the deaths of 41 people, 21 of them reportedly children and another 14 women.

In February 2011, it is understood that Barack Obama personally expressed concern about Shaye's release – he had by then been imprisoned – during a phone call to Saleh, who was preparing to pardon him.

The idea that Obama would have stood up for a journalist against Saudi Arabia is laughable. Obama frequently sold cluster bombs to Saudi Arabia. Hell, Obama admin people still work for the Saudis:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/obamas-first-national-security-adviser-now-works-for-the-saudis

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Those are bad things, but I don't think Trump would have done anything better in those situations, and based on his past record I believe Obama would be doing better things with the current situation than trump is also.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

drilldo squirt posted:

I believe Obama would be doing better things

This is a fantasy you have concocted because you liked the way he made speeches.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Hard to do worse than Trump.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

joepinetree posted:

No, he wouldn't. Obama personally interceded to keep a Yemeni journalist in prison because he had pictures that showed that a missile strike that killed 21 children and 14 women was done by a US drone instead of the Yemen military:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/06/yemen-journalist-shaye-human-rights-defenders-award-drones

The idea that Obama would have stood up for a journalist against Saudi Arabia is laughable. Obama frequently sold cluster bombs to Saudi Arabia. Hell, Obama admin people still work for the Saudis:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/obamas-first-national-security-adviser-now-works-for-the-saudis

Standing up for one ultimately inconsequential issue while contributing to the systemic problems and mass violence that are the cause of said issue is exactly what Obama would do.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's true that Trump is personally super-corrupt in a very unique way.

Politically though he's sitting comfortably around George W Bush levels. The presentation is vulgar but the underlying poo poo is the same kinds of things Bush and Obama did with the dial turned up a few clicks.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

drilldo squirt posted:

Those are bad things, but I don't think Trump would have done anything better in those situations, and based on his past record I believe Obama would be doing better things with the current situation than trump is also.

how do you manage to live day to day with this level of delusion

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Obama probably would have done more because he's responsive to Elite liberal media opinion, which is firmly against the murder of a journalist, and they're continuing to ignore mass murder in Yemen

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Obama probably would have done more because he's responsive to Elite liberal media opinion, which is firmly against the murder of a journalist, and they're continuing to ignore mass murder in Yemen

He wouldn't have done more, just talked a better game. He would have had it to page 11 right after it happened; a lot of the attention it's been getting is likely because of Trump's lovely handling of it.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

It's a stupid argument to have because it's completely unknowable.

That said, I do think Obama would have come down harder on SA if they'd murdered Khashoggi on his watch. I also think Trump would have allowed IS to take Kobani rather than help the YPG and risk Turkish defense bux. I also think Al Gore would not have invaded Iraq. Try to prove me wrong, it's impossible

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

He wouldn't have done more, just talked a better game. He would have had it to page 11 right after it happened; a lot of the attention it's been getting is likely because of Trump's lovely handling of it.

Yep. He'd have frowned and made a Very Concerned Speech and maybe frozen the next weapon shipment to the KSA, then let the suspension expire quietly a month or so later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's true that Trump is personally super-corrupt in a very unique way.

Politically though he's sitting comfortably around George W Bush levels. The presentation is vulgar but the underlying poo poo is the same kinds of things Bush and Obama did with the dial turned up a few clicks.

The damage he's doing to the international institutions the US dominates / has constructed (most notably but not limited to the WTO) is basically unprecedented.

I am of the opinion that this is a bad thing.

• Locked thread