Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

McNally posted:

But only if you have small feet. Biggest size they have in stock is 9

yup. no size 13 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013

McNally posted:

They have larger sizes in the all black and all tan ones.

Edit: but no sale, lame.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bought mine in a size 8.5, thinking about getting the WP ones at some point too. Hobbit feet supremacy :smug:

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
drat, they must have run out of regular people sized ones then, since mine are size 12s

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

McNally posted:

https://palladiumboots.com/collections/mens/size_mens_13+canvas?sort_by=manual

sort by size and material though these aren't on sale

the ones I linked were one off runs I think. I got a baggy pair last year that were plaid on the inside for when you roll them down

PookBear fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 25, 2018

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

First test fire last night. All systems nominal. YEEEEEEEEEEEAH.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Picked up a shotgun finally. 12 ga Pardus single shot. 70 drat dollars($90 after the title transfer fee and sales tax).

Basically the same thing as those Midland backpacker shotguns, but with no choke(booo) and a 28" barrel. As long as it can kill some grouse for a couple years before falling apart, I think it was worth paying 40% below retail for it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Good hike on Saturday.

Baby moose! The mother was 20 feet away, along with a young bull. They were very close to the trail, so we had to edge around them cautiously off-trail, because I wasn't about to step between a baby moose and its mother.

These next three are my first attempt at playing with the sliders in Lightroom on a RAW file, as stupid as that sounds. Was trying to go for a good realistic look with details still visible in the shadows, but not make it look too over processed.

Lake Helene.

Tourmaline lake. Was rough getting up here, something like 715ft gain over 650m. A decent portion of that was on a boulder covered slope too.

Tourmaline lake again.

How bad am I loving up this RAW editing thing?

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Looks fine on my screen, both phone and laptop. That is a cute baby tank deer.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Steezo posted:

Looks fine on my screen, both phone and laptop. That is a cute baby tank deer.
Sure they aren't deerceratops? Or like mountain forkliftdozer ragehorses or something?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHP9u2QRaAk

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Made something today

Happy indigenous people day

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Rolled the dice on the weather up in the mountains yesterday and got a few results that I liked.

Mills lake as the mist was still slowly clearing off.

A break in the clouds and trees while making my way along the southeast side of Mills lake stopped us in tracks. One of the clearest reflections I've ever seen.

Just the reflection.

The gap in the clouds lasted up through Jewel lake.

The mist started rolling back in by the time we got to Black lake though. It hit hard, because on the way back down, we couldn't even see the other shore of Mills lake.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
drat you take good pictures dude

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
I have this thread bookmarked just for The Rat's hikes.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

:blush:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:sigh:

I miss trees.
Edit: And water.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

What we lost in trees, we gained in radscorpions!

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

can we rename the thread to be more about outdoors, hiking, hunting, and guns etc?

Also I'm looking for a good jacket for hiking/outdoors. I have waterproof stuff but I want something I can wear to shove my way through brush when fly fishing

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Done

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

can we rename the thread to be more about outdoors, hiking, hunting, and guns

this is a good move ty

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013
Just an update, I ended up ordering those Palladium boots in a size 9 and while a little hard to get on they still fit comfortably. Took Dingo on a hike through the local nature park and so far they are very light and comfortable. I'll update again when I get a bit more wear on them.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah I've been wearing my Palladium boots a lot lately. They're so damned comfortable.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wore my palladium boots on my hunt yesterday, total mileage around 7 miles and about 800 ft elevation gain. They weren't quite rugged enough around the toes for the nasty clear cuts I was walking through, but they held up great. I wasn't carrying a lot of weight, just my rifle and an 8 lb pack, but I have zero blisters or hot spots on my feet afterwards, zero soreness. Pretty impressed, I might order another pair if they still have them for sale in my size.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
How do those boots run as far as width? I am a hobbit and need 7.5 ultrawides (like eee preferred).

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pretty typical width-wise I think.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

rifles posted:

How do those boots run as far as width? I am a hobbit and need 7.5 ultrawides (like eee preferred).

they're made of canvas so if you get a stiff insole you can kinda stomp it down in there and make them wider. they're not like leather boots that pinch your feet so you have a bit a give.

but i mean if you have weirdo feet thats not gonna help

PookBear fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 17, 2018

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I saw Free Solo last night. Beautifully shot documentary and Jimmy Chin’s camerawork is out of this world. Honnold definitely comes across as someone who’s a bit odd, but you can’t help but like the guy. There are some unbelievably tense moments even though you go into the film knowing the outcome.

Free solo rock climbing has about as much appeal to me as free diving- yeah, you may be at the top .01% of all humans, but make one little fuckup and you’re dead. I like my outdoor activities to have a slightly larger safety buffer.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I saw Free Solo last night. Beautifully shot documentary and Jimmy Chin’s camerawork is out of this world. Honnold definitely comes across as someone who’s a bit odd, but you can’t help but like the guy. There are some unbelievably tense moments even though you go into the film knowing the outcome.

Free solo rock climbing has about as much appeal to me as free diving- yeah, you may be at the top .01% of all humans, but make one little fuckup and you’re dead. I like my outdoor activities to have a slightly larger safety buffer.

friend of a friend used to solo climb and after spending a month in a coma can barely walk and has to cane for the rest of his life. Its not really the dying that scares me its the barely living through it part.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Extreme sports just baffles me.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

I just noticed the new thread name and thought I'd share some photos of my most recent backpacking trip. Went to Medicine Bow National Forest, WY and State Forest State Park, CO in early September.

Edited to fix my wonky imgur links

MonkeyWash fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 19, 2018

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Aw poo poo that's my neck of the woods, are you from around here?

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

The Rat posted:

Aw poo poo that's my neck of the woods, are you from around here?

No, I lived in Colorado from 2015-2017, I am now in Kansas, unfortunately. I just go back as often as I can. Usually go to the Grand Lake area in the spring for the baby moose and the fall for the elk rut. My wife and I have a Promaster Van that we converted into a camper, and we travel as much as my back will let me.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Aw dang, Kansas.

Your middle image doesn't seem to open up when u click on it on my phone. Nuts to thumbnails, drop those in full resolution! They look gorgeous.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

The Rat posted:

Aw dang, Kansas.

Your middle image doesn't seem to open up when u click on it on my phone. Nuts to thumbnails, drop those in full resolution! They look gorgeous.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

:fap:

Love them talus slopes.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

MonkeyWash posted:

I just noticed the new thread name and thought I'd share some photos of my most recent backpacking trip. Went to Medicine Bow National Forest, WY and State Forest State Park, CO in early September.

Edited to fix my wonky imgur links

awesome shots!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Just got the call that my tax stamp came in :getin:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mostly crossposting from the hunting thread:

My Saturday hunt looked like this at sunrise:

Then turned to soup 20 minutes later.

I couldn't see more than 50 yards clearly, so I eventually went back down the mountain to get my trail camera on the coast. Ended up blowing a grouse's head off with a .308, then got to look at what my camera caught and got fuckin' stoked.

I'm pretty sure those are three different bulls, so three shooters in that area. :woop: Hope that really big dude is still alive, but hell I'll shoot whoever shows up first.

Bonus panorama from the 20 minutes of clear sky I got at my deer spot today.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
:stare: Jesus those are some big bulls.