Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Monster Cove seems to be a pretty good PD map. I don't remember much of Pit of Death, but it certainly plays better than Watergate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Feel like going back and forth between Splatoon and TF2's Halloween events.

Splatoon has the better hats.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Okay, I know, never buy keys, but I just bought one of each of the halloween keys and unboxed the defragmenting hard hat, an okay strange part, a team spirit paint, and a strange warpaint (the sugar skulls one). I think that might end up more than covering the cost of the keys?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

only if you sell them asap

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Good news, they're not sellable for a week!

edit: nevermind, they just weren't showing up in my inventory

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 21, 2018

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Got 1 Vermin case. Sold it (for some reason I wasn't required to confirm the sale, even though I'm using the authenticator?). Got another 2 - neither tradeable nor marketable.

No indication they're going to become useful in the future. Time to delete, I guess. Wonder what the difference is all about.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Something changed with very low price sales so that you dont beed the auth

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Xander77 posted:

Got 1 Vermin case. Sold it (for some reason I wasn't required to confirm the sale, even though I'm using the authenticator?). Got another 2 - neither tradeable nor marketable.

No indication they're going to become useful in the future. Time to delete, I guess. Wonder what the difference is all about.

The non tradable ones are bonuses with the Halloween gifts (which are also untradable) whereas ones that randomly drop are tradable.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

ArfJason posted:

Something changed with very low price sales so that you dont beed the auth

Oh hey, that would explain it. I decided to sell all the trading cards I've been accumulating to get a few bucks off Obra Dinn whenever I get around to playing it, and when I went to list the second half of them today, I was confused by the change. Good, that was obnoxious.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I absolutely love the horror carnival with its Diddy Kong Racing-like mini games at the end of each round!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My usual experience with that map is one team completely locks down the lift, and only one or two players bother with the intel. If those people are on the team that cares about the lift, the rounds are quick and it's all good. If they're not, it drags on forever.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Best place to sell an usual hat? Got a hat with one of the new unusual effects!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

don't think a usual hat would go for very much

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
You can't even sell a stout shako for two refined these days.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

A.o.D. posted:

You can't even sell a stout shako for two refined these days.

You can if you find the right person

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I have a faint memory of a video someone posted in a TF2 thread, years ago. Can someone help me find it? IIRC it was a rocket jump tutorial video, narrated by a child with a British accent. I remember in the video he said something like "Can you run and jump??". Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

neurotech posted:

I have a faint memory of a video someone posted in a TF2 thread, years ago. Can someone help me find it? IIRC it was a rocket jump tutorial video, narrated by a child with a British accent. I remember in the video he said something like "Can you run and jump??". Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

That's Harry Gomm.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Apparently yesterday was the 666th day since the last of those TF2 comics.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

That is an absolutely spot-on Miss Pauling impression. I thought for sure they must have taken lines from another character Ashley Burch played, but no it’s just that good.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Did anyone find a fix for the whole Euros getting sent to US servers thing?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

8 Ball posted:

Did anyone find a fix for the whole Euros getting sent to US servers thing?

There was a thing that UK people couldn't connect to the luxembourg servers and they fixed that after a few weeks. If you are eu and are getting put on na servers limit your ping (right click on your steam icon in the top left of the tf2 main screen).

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Valve has a new game coming out in 8 days, and you can preorder it now, but it doesn't come with any hats for Team Fortress 2.

Feels like the end of an era.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Did DOTA2 do hats for tf2?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Baron von Eevl posted:

Did DOTA2 do hats for tf2?
Clockwerk's Helm, Storm Spirit's Jolly Hat, & Sniper's Snipin' Glass were added back in 2011.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Robot Hobo posted:

Clockwerk's Helm, Storm Spirit's Jolly Hat, & Sniper's Snipin' Glass were added back in 2011.

i thought those were never actually released to players though

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

They were rewarded to participants of the Dota 2 championship in 2011... basically nobody has them, ESPECIALLY people who still play TF2 in TYOOL 2018.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Otacon posted:

They were rewarded to participants of the Dota 2 championship in 2011... basically nobody has them, ESPECIALLY people who still play TF2 in TYOOL 2018.

thought they went to anyone who bought the compendium? I've seen the engie one before.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
So the Halloween crates are going to keep dropping through at least New Year's I guess. Any bets on when they'll actually stop? Valentines? Memorial Day?

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
The final TF2 update: Eternal October

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

pgroce posted:

The final TF2 update: Eternal October

If that was the intention at least they could have kept the good Player Destruction maps from this Halloween in rotation.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, Monster Bash is legit maybe the best Halloween map they've done in a few years.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ever since 2016, trying to play (every few months) gets me 5-10 minutes queuing up for a match, the connection to server failing several times in a row, and I finally manage to get into a match 20-30 minutes later.

Did everyone else figure out some sort of solution without letting me know? Just quit playing?

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I know you’ve said it before but where are you queuing from? I’m on the east course of US and get matches in VA servers within a minute or two.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I usually only have time to maybe scrap two weapons before I connect. Also what maps are you searching for?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I know you’ve said it before but where are you queuing from? I’m on the east course of US and get matches in VA servers within a minute or two.
Israel.

Last night I was trying for Badlands / Nucleus / Harvest.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Ever since 2016, trying to play (every few months) gets me 5-10 minutes queuing up for a match, the connection to server failing several times in a row, and I finally manage to get into a match 20-30 minutes later.

Did everyone else figure out some sort of solution without letting me know? Just quit playing?

Do you remember the locations of the servers you can/can not join? If you type tilde (the key below escape in the top left) it shows the logs. Read these and see which servers you are/aren't able to join.

Because you are from israel I'm guessing you have high ping (what is you local server). If you right click on your steam icon in the top left of tf2 you may need to increase the ping limit to get a quicker game.

For about 2 months last year all english players were banned from our local western european server in luxembourg which got us stuck in a similar sounding situation. The match maker tries to find a game on the lowest ping server near you, if you have problems connecting to that server you are just stuck in this loop.

For us fortunately there were enough people from the UK and we just bombarded steam support/forums and they eventually fixed it. My only advice would be to contact steam support with logs showing which server/s you can't connect to else they will try and claim it's a problem with your computer.firewall/router etc. Do other israeli's have this issue?

e - I just fired up tf2 to look at the servers. Your local servers I'm guessing are dubai and madrid (which you should have ok ping on so ignore what I said earlier). You need to check the logs to see which one you are having problems connecting with.

I'm guessing it's the dubai server.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 14, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ok, here's everything the logs showed for 12 minutes or so until I managed to join:
https://pastebin.com/rvX87DaP

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah that is exactly the problem that we had. It's incredibly frustrating because it constantly tries to find the lowest ping server which you are blocked from and then you are caught in that loop.

You should send all that to valve support saying that it is the same problem that all the UK players had with the Luxembourg server (we were all blocked from it). It took them about a month to sort this out and must have been thousands of players that couldn't join. At least they should know what it is.

Make sure to send them that because it shows that you can join a valve server (as in it's not your firewall or what ever).

My only short term fixes are:

- A vpn (this is pretty cheap now maybe some thing around £5 a month although really annoying).

- Trying to figure out if there is a certain map that you can search for which will put you on the server you can actually connect to.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

"Thanks for providing further details. We're investigating a possible issue with a server in your region.

In the meantime, you can set a custom ping limit for matchmaking to increase the pool of available servers in your search. Please do the following:

Start Team Fortress 2
Select the picture of your avatar in the upper-left of the main menu and click "Matchmaking Settings" from the drop down list
Check the box "Use Custom Ping Limit"
Then use the slider to increase the maximum ping you'd be comfortable playing with

If you connect to the Luxembourg servers again then you'll need to increase the ping further until other servers enter the search pool. Currently, there isn't a way to exclude certain servers from the matchmaking search.

Thanks for using Steam,
Vicky"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Oh yeah, and every time I get an item drop, the notification shows up again and again, 3-4 times, a few minutes apart. Unfortunately, I don't actually get the item several times over.