Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

20. Murder Party (2007):
This was fun. I really appreciate how much of a boring schlub the main character is. I find him very relatable. The characters are all distinct and feel close enough to actual art school assholes. The humor is solid and the gore effects are impressive considering what the budget must have been. Not a great movie but definitely worth a watch.

:siren:FRAN CHALLENGE #10: Fear and Now:siren:
21. Unfriended: Dark Web (2018):
I thought the first Unfriended was decent and this one was about as good, maybe a bit better. I love the goofy boat screen on the dark web application they use. The characters are flawed but aren’t terrible assholes which is nice. It gets a bit ridiculous toward the end but that’s fine. It does a good job making the unseen antagonists feel unstoppable. Very reminiscent of The Den.

22. Horror of Dracula (1958):
This is only the second Hammer movie I’ve seen (The Mummy was... okay) but I get it now. Christopher Lee is awesome, just very imposing in all of his scenes. The ending rips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
#23- Scared to Death

Scared, bored, same thing right? A strange monster lurks in the sewers beneath Los Angeles, occasionally venturing forth to attack people. Man, the pacing on this one. The first half of the movie focuses on a writer who used to work for the police department, and he's a really annoying protagonist who engages in a deeply uninteresting romance with a woman whose car he runs into. The monster has racked up like 12 victims by this point and we're dicking around with this guy. Like you know how Jaws is laser-focused on the fact that there's a giant shark eating people and every scene in some way relates to that? This is the opposite.

Eventually the guy starts working with his cop friend on the case, and the girl gets attacked by the monster, but she survives because the creature is now leaving its victims in comas. But she's out of the movie for the most part, and instead this other woman barges in to deliver a shitload of exposition, about how it's a thing called a Syngenor that some scientist developed in a lab but then he died of a heart attack and it escaped. Later she even just reads from a file describing a bunch of scenes they were too cheap to shoot. We do get to see some of the monster and it's an okay costume, but the designer had obviously just seen Alien.

This movie's kinda baffling really. It feels like it was shot in chronological order and the production was falling apart along the way, hence changing the female lead halfway through and the monster no longer gorily slaying its victims but instead doing the Alien thing with its tongue to suck up their spinal fluid(?) and giving them epileptic fits(??). Then the new girl reasons that it's trying to breed. It just keeps making less and less sense. Too dull to hold my attention- I'd blame the horrorthon yesterday, but no, really, this was just awful.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

45. Puppetmaster (1989)

Puppetmaster is a movie that isn't really about anything. Nothing really happens until the last 20 minutes where we get a very brief explanation of what we've been watching. Basically it's a movie featuring a group of magicians (psychics, empaths, etc) spending a night bickering in a hotel. This concept seems like something I would be interested in but a combination of horrible characters, glacial pacing and a ton of pointless scenes lead to a really boring experience.

The designs of the killer puppets were pretty cool though and make me curious to check out other films in the series, which I have heard pick up in excitement.

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #5: Birth of Horror :siren:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

32- Mom and Dad

Look, you either like watching Nic Cage go nuts for an hour and a half or you don’t, that’s basically going to determine how you feel about this one. Overall I wasn’t too thrilled by it; there were some good pieces in there and it’s a neat concept, but they didn’t really do anything interesting with it. Also regarding the ending i would have liked one. I don’t need everything spoon fed to me, but that abrupt of an ending was a real cop out, and it’s pretty clear that they came up with the core concept and then couldn’t think of where to take it
Entertaining but far from my favourite this year

Also for some reason Grant Morrison is in this so bonus points for that

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 23, 2018

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

42. A Page of Madness (1926). Directed by Teinosuke Kinugasa.
Watched on FilmStruck

I've never really seen anything quite like this. Made by an avant-garde group known as the Shinkankakuha, this film and the other things this group produced were interested in creating a purely subjective cinema, which sought to overcome naturalistic representation.with the logic of one's senses. The film itself takes in an attempt to depict the mental states of the inmates at the asylum, building on expressionist ideas already brewing. One of the only silent films from Japan that still survives, it exists in a dislocated form with a sizable amount of its content seemingly lost. It never showed with intertitles, instead meant to have a storyteller deliver a narration live. Watching it in 2018 on a computer screen is an odd experience, to say the least. As is, it's still a stunning film to watch, though one that's hard to follow on a narrative level. The imagery still resonates, even in the state this film was left in. I'd be curious to see it played out the way it was originally intended to.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm torn. I can probably only watch one more movie to make 31. Do I complete my last Fran Challenge by watching a weak movie by a bad director? Or do I watch Night of the Demon?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Watch Night of the Demon now and you'll still have until Nov. 1st to complete the Fran challenge. Speaking of which,

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #4: Worst of the Best or Best of The Worst :siren:

:ghost: Watch a notoriously bad director's best movie.
It seems that most people watched Ghosts of Marks or something like that so I decided to go the Best of the Worst route instead. Coincidentally, this movie was literally on RLM's BotW too. So some background. It's made by a notorious hack director Jim Wynorski (who I've forgotten about since BotW), who has over a hundred movies to his credit with an average rating of like 3.6. He seems to average like 3 DTV movies a year, with such gems as Nessie and Me, Doggone Christmas, or Scared Topless. So Chopping Mall, one of his first movies from 1986, is by far his high water mark.

18. Chopping Mall (1986)

Robocop, which was released a year later, clearly owes a lot to this movie, as it establishes the "security robot gone mad" trope so perfectly. The said security bots work in the mall, obviously, and go mad after multiple lightnings strike outside on an otherwise clear and dry night. Coincidentally, a bunch of teenagers working at different places around the mall decide to have an orgy at the furniture store after closing time, because why not. They end up being locked in for the night and have to fight for their lives.

I should probably get right out of the way the fact that this being Jim Wynorski's best movie isn't quite enough to make it actually good, but the good news is that it does mostly work as a "so bad it's good" film, which many terrible flicks fail to do. The plot is complete nonsense but it doesn't really matter as it wastes little time on the setup and goes straight into it. It's competently filmed and acted, and the effects are ok for the time with pew-pew lasers and some giant explosions. What prevents this from being a better, more fun movie is that it doesn't go quite over the top enough with most kills (the headshot and the molotov scenes were great though) and better writing could've gotten a few more jokes out of it. Like I'm not a native speaker, but is "Do you hear anything unusual? No, just my heartbeat" work as a joke? Wouldn't it be better with "irregular", a word actually used to describe pulse?

Anyway, not great but fun enough. Would've been better watching it with more people and alcohol. I updated my sheet with some more BotW ideas that I used to track this one down, in case somebody still needs it. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oTvEG2Cb6MNsU7qZxOsbjxEgvJj-b-u8Hb-fwM0V0cU/

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #10: Fear and Now
:ghost: Watch a horror movie released in 2018.

19. Mandy

Nic Cage is a lumberjack and lives in a secluded house with his metal wife Mandy. She is seen walking on the street by some cult nutjob who kidanps and kills her, then Cage goes nuts and kills loving everyone.

Opening the film with Starless is definitely a pro-move. I've heard from reviews that this movie is a bit out there but it's impressive just how much more bizarre it is than anything else I've seen of this month so far. However, this has mostly to do with the visuals, in terms of plot it's actually a perfectly coherent revenge story. If anything, it's kind of a bit disappointing that it doesn't do something more experimental, although the final act does change up a bit more into what feel like a distinct set of set-pieces, rather than a clear path through the different bad guys. I wish the fights were a bit more easy to see though and the final guy took a bit longer to resolve, but eh. It's drat good as it is.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

Fran Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 22, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

How are you all watching Mandy? It left theaters ages ago here.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It was never in the theaters here in the first place and if I told you, I'd have to kill you :twisted:

Seriously though it's available on all kinds of VOD

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm debating renting it on Prime if I decide my 2018 Challenge submission doesn't count (and if I don't find the time/opportunity/inclination to go see Halloween). Even though I'm about to share hundreds of words and like 4 hours of time to that movie/challenge.

Even though I’m still behind pace on my years I can’t find a movie year I’m excited to watch right now so I’m going another route. I saw this being talked about a bunch in the main thread and it peaked my curiosity. Then I looked it up and saw it was from the same makers of Spring which was one of my more favorite entries of this marathon. That was such an interesting and different play on a horror movie. Not perfect but one of those movies early into a career that makes me very curious to see what they do elsewhere. This is actually BEFORE Spring but people seem to have liked it and it seems vaguely necessary for the next movie so here goes…

33 (35). Resolution (2012)
Available on Shudder.

Mike takes desperate actions by locking his friend Chris in a cabin for a week to get him clean, but through the course of the week Mike goes through his own journey as he meets a never ending cast of bizarre characters and tries to unravel a mystery around strange recordings he finds in random places.

That was odd. Much like Spring its a 1 on 1 character piece more than a horror story. Spring never really felt like “horror” even though it certainly had the elements, this is the same. Hell, lets revisit what I said about Spring.

STAC Goat posted:

I really enjoyed this film. I’m not even sure how I feel about it as a horror film. I mean, the horror is there. I was really impressed with the monster time/film affects and the mystery and journey of Louise’s nature Mike’s journey. But it really is first and foremost a love friendship story. And I’m not sure I ever felt the dread or fear I maybe was supposed to feel as Evan Mike essentially risks his life to be with her try and save his friend. I knew it was there and I was kind of enriched in the story but I never really felt the tension I think I should have.

I don’t know, that feels more critical than I want to be. I really, really enjoyed the film. Its gorgeous and has tons of atmosphere. The beauty of the setting does a lot of that but the filmmakers do a lot to take the horrific scenes and glimpses we get of the monster drug and danger filled world of Chris and confusing journey Mike is on and not exactly juxtapose them against the beauty, but make them part of it? This is a film who’s cinematography takes center stage. Which again, feels more critical than I want it to because the story and the action are all top notch. Literally the only thing that felt missing was that “dread” I feel like I should have felt.

It is very different and cool and worth watching.

Its weird how much my reaction is the same with them. It speaks to the consistency and quality of Benson and Moorehead but also maybe a bit of redundancy. But I have to recognize that this came before Spring so the fact that I enjoyed Spring more and feel like it maybe did a better job with similar elements is actually a good thing as it shows evolution as film makers. Knowing that their next film is a bit of a spiritual sequel to this is both interesting to see if they can pull off the same basic trick a third time and maybe a little worrying in if they have another idea. But that’s really getting ahead of things.

I guess if I have a criticism its that the first half of the film feels like it drags on a bit before the horror element of the tapes really starts to take shape. A lot of time is spent meeting strange people at the busiest crack house in the world when most of those people don’t really factor in. I’m actually not even sure i understood the salesman/con man at all. A lot of the characters do factor in at the end or introduce small little clues as to what might be going on but I never fully felt that mystery story until later on when things start getting weird. I think that’s probably the problem. In order to keep them in the cabin and Mike still treating this as a curiosity and not a danger they had to keep it small for a long time. Maybe a bit too long. But first film and all, and overall I enjoyed it.

But seriously, I didn’t get the con man at all.

This does lead us to the next logical step as watching this was basically a bridge to filling the last of Fran’s outstanding challenges.

This is a bit of a sketchy selection as it premiered at film festivals in 2017 but was released nationwide in 2018. Netflix, IMDB, and Wikipedia list it as 2017 while Rotten Tomatoes and others list it as 2018. By my reading of the rules that makes it eligible. If not… well, let me know, Fran. Truth is I’ll probably watch another 2018 movie anyway although I don’t see any on my list at the moment.

34 (36). The Endless (2018)
Available on Netflix.

Justin pulled himself and his brother Aaron out of a cult 10 years ago but life has been kind of lovely and Aaron is curious to go back. Justin brings him back with the hopes of showing him that its the cult he’s always said it was but struggles to find answers to many of the things they encounter. As Aaron feels more at home than he ever has Justin begins to uncover the horrifying truth around not just the commune but many other connected people and places trapped by the same horrific force.

First off, this is not a “spiritual sequel” to Resolution, its a genuine sequel. I was going to compare it to like the MCU in terms of shared continuity and character that you can watch out of order but you miss stuff, but the more i think about it the more I truly do believe Endless is a continuation and - pardon me - resolution to things introduced in Resolution.

Its interesting that its the 3rd of their films that actually stars Benson and Moorhead. You kind of expect that earlier on and since their first two films were so heavily dependent on character pieces between 2 actors it had me a little… worried? Interested? I was immediately unsure if they could carry that kind of weight the way their actors did in Spring and Resolution. Luckily they really don’t have to since this is a much more ambitious and wider film. I mean the relationship with the two is at the core just as with the first two films, and the two auteurs do a perfectly fine job in the roles, but unlike the other films it doesn’t need to carry the movie. While Spring and Resolution were both relationship movies first with a horror element inside this is very much a horror meta plot with a relationship story inside it.

The story is pretty trippy but also manages to make sense. lovely Carl is a big help with that and he also provides some much appreciate comedic relief. Piecing it all together is a very interesting effort as is looking back on Resolution and trying to see what fits there. Right off the top of my head there’s so many obvious elements that fit that it seems clear that if Moorhead and Benson didn’t have this film idea in mind back then they did a very good job building off the things they already had with Resolution. A lot of the stuff that felt very random or unresolved or arbitrary suddenly make sense and fit into the bigger picture. Its definitely something I’d like to go back and watch. After October when I’ve got a little more time and less challenge criteria and personal goals I want to fill in a time crunch.

I really really liked this in a way very different to how i really really liked Spring and Resolution. Those were movies I dug because of the great character work and relationship stuff as well as the great filmmaking elements and cinematography. This is a movie that had me on the edge of my seat for the majority of its extended 110 minute runtime and not so much looking at the trees and the camera angles or caring that much about the brothers. I’m not saying I didn’t care about the brothers but Justin’s a bit of a dick and Aaron’s a bit of a sad sack. Its ok, they’re good guys.

Honestly, even if this get ruled invalid as a 2018 movie I’m glad I watched it. I might even end up disqualifying it myself since I think it was a tad bit of a “cheat” anyway since it was already on my list (granted a later addition done mid marathon while a bunch of movies that have been there since the beginning and earlier are still unwatched).

Of course I’m still behind on my movies with 11 and only 9 days left so I really need to press that issue. I’d like at least a few days at the end to watch whatever I feel like. And the World Series is coming.

September Tally - New (Total)
1. A Cure For Wellness (2016) / - (2). Slither (2006) / 2 (3). Castle Rock (2018) / - (4). The Forsaken (2001) / 3 (5). The Night Eats the World (2018) / 4 (6). The Girl With All The Gifts (2016) / 5 (7). The Voices (2014) / 6 (8). Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010) / 7 (9). Jug Face (2013) / 8 (10). Coherence (2013) / 9 (11). A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (2014) / - (12). Vampire in Brooklyn (1995) / 10 (13). Excision (2012) / 11 (14). Spring (2014)

October Tally - New (Total)
1. Suspiria (1977) / 2. It (2017) / 3. The Beyond (1981) / 4. Trilogy of Terror (1979) / 5. House on Haunted Hill (1959) / 6. Demons (1985) / Fran’s Challenge #1: 7. The Green Inferno (2013) / 8. Martin (1978) / 9. Malevolent (2018) / - (10). Dead and Breakfast (2004) / 10 (11). Night of the Comet (1984) / 11 (12). Jaws (1975) / 12 (13). Black Swan (2010) / Fran’s Challenge #2: 13 (14). Happy Death Day (2017) / - (15). Hell House, LLC (2015) / Fran’s Challenge #3: 14 (16). Hell House, LLC 2: The Abaddon Hotel (2018) / 15 (17). Carnival of Souls (1962) / 16 (18). The Last House on the Left (1972) / 17 (19). The Haunting of Hill House (2018) / Fran’s Challenge #4: 18 (20). My Soul To Take (2010) / Fran’s Challenge #5: 19 (21). Motel Hell (1980) / 20 (22). The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) / Fran’s Challenge #6: 21 (23). Don’t Look In The Basement (1973) / 22 (24). All Cheerleaders Die (2013) / 23 (25). Sleepaway Camp (1983) / 24 (26). The House That Dripped Blood (1971) / 25 (27). The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane (1976) / 26 (28). Friday the 13th Part III (1982) / Fran’s Challenge #7: 27 (29). November (2017) / Fran’s Challenge #8: 28 (30). Escape From Tomorrow (2013) / 29 (31). Horror of Dracula (1958) / Fran’s Challenge #9: 30 (32). The Open House (2018) / 31 (33). The Innocents (1961) / 32 (34). The Brides of Dracula (1960) / 33 (35). Resolution (2012) / Fran’s Challenge #10: 34 (36). The Endless (2018?)

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
40. An American Werewolf in Paris Prime

I remember hearing this was terrible when it was in theaters, then people stopped talking about it at all and as far as I knew it slipped from collective memory and faded from history forever. Turns out it still exists, it's on Amazon Prime, and it sucks rear end. Everything that was charming in the original is obnoxious in the sequel. The CG is awful, there's a loving bungee jump scene, there's a bunch of dumb werewolf lore that no one asked for that undermines the mystery in the original. It feels like it collected all the bad things from 90s horror and dumped it into one movie.

Bush loving sucked.

1/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House | 11. Pumpkinhead | 12. Prom Night | 13. Tales from the Crypt | 14. Carnival of Souls | 15. The Fly II | 16. Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker | 17. Resolution | 18. The Endless | 19. Spontaneous Combustion | 20. Hardware | 21. The Haunting of Molly Hartley | 22. Hold the Dark | 23. Truth or Dare (2017)| 24. Trick or Treats | 25. The ‘Burbs | 26. Dead and Buried | 27. Digging up the Marrow | 28. Frankenstein Conquers the World | 29. The War of the Gargantuas | 30. Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil | 31. Apostle | 32. Maximum Overdrive | 33. Blood Rage | 34. Tales from the Hood 2 | 35. Halloween (1978) | 36. Halloween (2018) | 37. The Old Dark House | 38. Truth or Dare (2018) |39. Slender Man | 40. An American Werewolf in Paris

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

167- The Ugly 1997 - DVD

As far as slasher films go, this one's pretty interesting. A psychiatrist is requested to interview a killer who deviates from the usual behavior of serial killers. As she interviews him, she starts questioning his insanity.

While this one might not be to everyone's tastes, it does take things in different directions. I consider it worth a watch.

168- Wishmaster 1997 - DVD

With how people act in these films, I think the only people who'd get the upper hand on the Djinn are those who've played a few D&D sessions with a DM who's still sour over having a campaign ruined by a creative use of a wish spell and's determined to have any wish spell bite someone in the rear end.

After the first film, the only reason to watch the rest in the franchise is to see how people's wishes backfire on them. First film's worth a watch for Robert Englund and Andrew Divoff hamming it up.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

STAC Goat posted:

This is a bit of a sketchy selection as it premiered at film festivals in 2017 but was released nationwide in 2018. Netflix, IMDB, and Wikipedia list it as 2017 while Rotten Tomatoes and others list it as 2018. By my reading of the rules that makes it eligible. If not… well, let me know, Fran. Truth is I’ll probably watch another 2018 movie anyway although I don’t see any on my list at the moment.

This came up a few pages ago, some sites liked IMDb list the premiere date, not the release date - it was definitely released in 2018.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

I remember hearing this was terrible when it was in theaters, then people stopped talking about it at all and as far as I knew it slipped from collective memory and faded from history forever. Turns out it still exists, it's on Amazon Prime, and it sucks rear end. Everything that was charming in the original is obnoxious in the sequel. The CG is awful, there's a loving bungee jump scene, there's a bunch of dumb werewolf lore that no one asked for that undermines the mystery in the original. It feels like it collected all the bad things from 90s horror and dumped it into one movie.

Bush loving sucked.

1/5

That bungie jumping scene is magical. The filmmakers either forgot what shape the Eiffel Tower is or didn't understand that gravity works in a downward direction.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Russian Guyovitch posted:

8. The Town that Dreaded Sundown (Amazon) - A true crime film about the the Phantom Killer murders in the Texarkana region after World War II. The use of a narrator segueing between reenactments makes it feel somewhat like a feature-length episode of Unsolved Mysteries. If you've ever wanted to see Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island get shot in the face, then this is the movie for you.

Like this one a lot, but the wacky sheriff bits are super annoying. The 2014 sequel is better than it has any right to be too.

quote:

12. Area 51 (Hulu) - After an unexplainable incident at a party, a man becomes obsessed with ufos and Area 51. He recruits some friends to help him break in, along with the daughter of a former scientist at the facility. So much of this film focuses on preparing for the break in that it feels more like a found footage heist movie.

I really didn't like this one. I'm a sucker for found footage, and it's from the director of the first Paranormal Activity, so I was super hyped. but it just didn't work for me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

mobby_6kl posted:

It was never in the theaters here in the first place and if I told you, I'd have to kill you :twisted:

Seriously though it's available on all kinds of VOD

Yeah, I VODed it back during its initial run (or at least when it available to), because no way was it going to show in theaters near me in Bumfuck, Nowhere.

STAC Goat posted:

I won't lie, that poster would probably get a chuckle and sell a ticket to me at some point in time.

I still find it weird they either couldn't get or didn't bother to get Pamela Springsteen herself to pose for that picture. Nope, it's just a random woman and it's not even made clear if it's meant to be Angela.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
35. The Fall of the House of Usher, aka ‘La Chute de la maison Usher’
1928 | dir. Jean Epstein | YouTube

A stylish silent Poe adaptation.

Jean Epstein is an interesting guy with cool hair. His influence on film is huge, and yet this is my first time actually watching a film of his.

This one's a love it/ hate it. Visually it's remarkable. It looks better than many of it's contemporaries. Epstein understood the strengths of film as a storytelling device and uses it to create a hallucinatory nightmarish film. It's a great movie to put on as background imagery.

As for the story, it's not really there. I'd say if you're a big fan of the original story, this won't really deliver on that. Instead, it's more like a prequel to the actual story.

Recommended as a major step forward for the horror genre and for fans of silent cinema, but it's a bit dull otherwise.

36. Alice Sweet Alice
1976 | dir. Alfred Sole | Amazon Prime

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #8: Once In A Lifetime
:ghost: Find a director who only made one horror film in their career and watch that film.

A pre-Halloween proto-slasher with Catholic bloodlust.

It's a shame that Black Christmas, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Halloween get all the credit for creating the slasher, when Alice Sweet Alice came out alongside them and has more in common with the genre than many of the others. The killer's identity is the central mystery, unlike its peers where it's given to you from the killer's introduction, or is never going to be revealed.

The trope that always gets thrown at slashers of immorality leading to your death is the literal text of this film. Jamie Kennedy's trope speech in Scream was foolishly wasted on Prom Night as the example. Kevin Williamson should have done more homework, because the film he's really talking about is Alice Sweet Alice.

Brooke Shields makes her first(?) on-screen performance before making a career out of taboo film after taboo film. The titular malicious Alice is played by Paula E. Sheppard in one of only two acting roles she did for film. She is great. Linda Miller plays the mother who is dealing with personal tragedy and her daughter being vilified as a murderer by everyone around her. Sheppard and Linda carry the film. Sheppard is enough of a brat that she COULD be the murderer, and Linda's breakdown reminds me a lot of Toni Collette's transformation in Hereditary.

Tonally, the film feels a lot like Don't Look Now, and the 70's film stock gives everything a nice dingy texture.

Highly recommended.

37. Halloween
2018 | dir. David Gordon Green | In Theaters

Franchescanado posted:

The night he came home...Again!...

It's the most worthy sequel to the original Halloween. I loved the set-ups, the fake-outs, the homages, the twists. Jamie Lee puts in great work alongside Judy Greer and Andi Matichak. This has been a year of strong female leads, and it's wonderful that this film stands among them.

Really, it does everything I want in a Halloween film. It has a great autumnal look, there are fun Halloween festivities, the cinematography, lighting and blocking are perfect, the music is great, and Michael is a looming figure sneaking around. I love that we follow his path of destruction with the same perspective of him stalking Laurie and Tommy in the first film.

It's not the original, but that's an impossible standard which I wasn't going to hold this film to. It's not perfect on it's own, with some of the writing feeling a bit forced and emotional arcs being rushed through, but they're small complaints that don't really bog this film down. There are other great highs that no other sequel has delivered, such as the (unsurprising) great comedy beats and the twists on old tropes.

It's a little too early to tell, but this may be a yearly rewatch for me; more than any other sequels at least (except for Halloween 3, of course). If we get a new wave of slashers inspired by the success of this film, I would love if they took the cues of what makes this actually good--the build-up, the suspense, the emotional weight, the concentration of the characters beyond broad personality types.

Highly Recommended.

38. The Lords of Salem
2013 | dir. Rob Zombie | Shudder

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #9: Stranger Danger

She got down but she never got tired
She's gonna make it through the night

Finally got around to watching this after many years of procrastinating. I'm more interested in Rob Zombie's film career in theory rather than actually watching them. I like House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects, but I don't like his Halloween (and haven't seen Halloween 2). This has been pushed on me for a few years, and I put off films that I'm "supposed" to like because they won't live up to my expectation.

This is probably my favorite Zombie flick. It's all over the place. It's creepy, it's trippy, it's campy, it's gross. The Ken Russell influence is apparent, but there's also similarities to The Shining, and The Gate, a little bit of The Fog, and certainly some fun with Salem's history of witches.

I like the themes of history repeating itself, the idea of fates vs destiny, the bleeding of reality/insanity/supernatural events, the horrors of relapsing into addiction, and losing all control of your life. I also love a film that posits that your faith in religion won't necessarily protect you if the evil/black magic is stronger than you.

This is the best I've seen Sheri Moon act. Her subdued nature allows for the weirdness around her to pop. I could have spent more time with Ken Foree and the "dead possum" on his head. I wasn't a big fan of the hopeless romantic angle of her co-worker, I wish there was more weight than him being a sad sack sitting by while she deteriorates.

Did this help usher in the new trend of witch movies? It certainly is one of the better "witches in a modern setting" I've seen. I also like the autumnal look, the cinematography, the spooky hot neon, and the soundtrack.

I can see how some of the sexuality/sexual horror is off-putting to people. Some moments that could have been weirder/creepier came off as campy, like the impregnation by demonic dwarf via tentacles. I'm not sure if the film benefits from that being campy, or if it hurts it, cuz that could have been even more disturbing.

Strong Recommendation, with some caveats. Like weird sexuality, and some of Rob Zombie's weaknesses creeping through even on this, his strongest effort.

Movies Seen: Hell House, LLC | Dagon | The Bird With the Crystal Plumage | Critters 2 | Serial Mom | Monster Squad | The Neon Demon | Motel Hell | Vampyr | Possession | Under The Skin | Martyrs | The Curse of the Werewolf | The Old Dark House | Children of the Corn | Assassination Nation | The Leopard Man | Halloween 2 | Häxan | Friday the 13th Part 7: The New Blood | What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? | Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things | Near Dark | The Witches | Tenebrae | Return of the Living Dead | Masque of the Red Death | Cast a Deadly Spell | Clive Barker's Underworld | The 7th Victim | The Addiction | The Witchfinder General | Curse of Chucky | Puppetmaster | The Fall of the House of Usher (1928) | Alice Sweet Alice | Halloween ('18) | The Lords of Salem
Total: 38

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 22, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

You're absolutely right that this movie sucks, but I love Julie Delpy. She's one of the best actresses of all-time. The fact that she's in a werewolf movie only solidifies that.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Jedit posted:

I'm torn. I can probably only watch one more movie to make 31. Do I complete my last Fran Challenge by watching a weak movie by a bad director? Or do I watch Night of the Demon?

Watch Night of the Demon right loving now.

M_Sinistrari posted:

167- The Ugly 1997 - DVD

You're the first person I've ever heard mention this movie. I saw it about 17 years ago and was beginning to think I was the only human who had ever seen it.

Franchescanado posted:

35. The Fall of the House of Usher, aka ‘La Chute de la maison Usher’
1928 | dir. Jean Epstein | YouTube

I've been dying to see this but the YouTube quality looks atrocious and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere else. Are my concerns justified? e: oh and I don't think the intertitles are translated into English!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

You're absolutely right that this movie sucks, but I love Julie Delpy. She's one of the best actresses of all-time. The fact that she's in a werewolf movie only solidifies that.

I was trying to figure out what I remembered her from and I guess it was Europa, Europa.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hereditary(2018)

I guess I could've fudged this and counted it for the Fear and Now challenge, but the truth is I watched it a few days before Fran posted it. And I almost just let this one pass, almost didn't write it up at all because I don't even know what to say about it. There are moments in the film that are so emotionally raw that they feel impossible to properly describe. Toni Collette gives a performance that I think deserves to be praised as one of the best ever put to film, in any genre. She's portraying over-the-top emotion, but in a situation so horrific that those over-the-top emotions are perfectly realistic and understandable. It's ultra-intense but without stylization, which makes it incredibly difficult to watch at times.

One opinion I've read often, that I disagree with, is that the film didn't need the overt supernatural occurrences of the last third. The fact that things get a little wild there towards the end helped round out the experience for me and had me walking away feeling a little less depressed than I would've been otherwise, although maybe not by much.

So I still needed one last 2018 film...

Franchescanado posted:

Summer of '84(2018)

Next year there should be a separate award for whoever can satisfy the most Fran Challenges in a single movie. Because if someone were to have been born in 1984 in Oregon, and were recommended by a friend to watch Summer of '84, that's 4 birds with 1 stone!

I hate to say it but I was disappointed by this, and I think a big part of it is that the whole Stranger Things/Goonies aesthetic has pretty much run it's course. The story involves a Rear Window situation, a kid suspects his neighbor of being a serial killer, but it all pretty much plays out as you'd expect and there aren't any major surprises. The cast is solid, but not particularly memorable, including the guy playing the neighbor/suspect who is serviceable but I think with someone more memorable the movie could've reached another level.

It's pretty odd tonally, because you get a lighter vibe at times, but then it goes to some pretty dark places and there is some graphic violence that doesn't quite feel in line with the rest of the film. So it's one of those movies where there aren't any massive flaws, but it also never fully hits its stride and as a result I'll probably forget it exists by next week.

:siren: PERSONAL CHALLENGE COMPLETE: 5 FILMS FROM EVERY DECADE FROM 1930s TO PRESENT :siren:

Now to hit the remaining Fran challenges and then Halloween week is a free for all of yearly favorites like From Beyond and Return of the Living Dead.

Total: 1. Frankenstein(1931) 2. The Old Dark House(1932) 3. The Bride of Frankenstein(1935) 4. The Mummy(1932) 5. The Invisible Man(1933) 6. The Wolfman(1941) 7. House of Frankenstein(1944) 8. House of Dracula(1945) 9. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein(1948) 10. The Boogeyman Will Get You(1942) 11. The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms(1953) 12.Gojira(1954) 13. Creature From the Black Lagoon(1954) 14. The Night of the Hunter(1955) 15. The Curse of Frankenstein(1957) 16. Brides of Dracula(1960) 17. The Tomb of Ligeia(1964) 18. Blood and Black Lace(1964) 19. Frankenstein Created Woman(1967) 20. Quatermass and the Pit(1967) 21. Don't Look Now(1973)22. Dracula A.D. 1972 23. Phantom of the Paradise(1974) 24. The Wicker Man(1973) 25. Nosferatu The Vampyre(1979) 26. The Fog(1980) 27. An American Werewolf in London(1981) 28. Prince of Darkness(1987) 29. A Nightmare on Elm Street(1984) 30. C.H.U.D.(1984) 31. Candyman(1992) 32. Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh(1995) 33. Mimic(1997) 34. Scream(1996) 35. Audition(1999) 36. Cursed(2005) 37. Saw(2004) 38. Drag Me To Hell(2009) 39. Slither(2006) 40. Freddy vs. Jason(2003) 41. The First Purge(2018) 42. The Void(2016) 43. Lords of Salem(2012) 44. Hereditary(2018) 45. Summer of '84(2018)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

I've been dying to see this but the YouTube quality looks atrocious and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere else. Are my concerns justified? e: oh and I don't think the intertitles are translated into English!

To be honest, I watched my copy on Plex, which was a nice version with subtitles for the intertitles.

This is a better YouTube version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=punZPGiQTGA

Another good YouTube version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgJfLrWQpc

Here's a version on Archive.org that's good.

You really don't need the inter-titles to get it. The first one is just a letter saying "Come visit me at the House of Usher" and then a few people freaking out about the guy visiting the house of Usher, reluctant to drive him to the house. It's also just French, so you can pause and google translate it if you're REALLY interested in the text.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 22, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

I was trying to figure out what I remembered her from and I guess it was Europa, Europa.

I know her best from Richard Linklater's Before Trilogy. If you haven't seen them yet, get a box of tissues and watch those heartbreakers.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Triple post, but for those trying to be completionists:

:siren: There will be more Fran Challenges posted this week and next week. :siren:

Observant posters might be able to guess how many there will be total.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

You're the first person I've ever heard mention this movie. I saw it about 17 years ago and was beginning to think I was the only human who had ever seen it.

I think I first heard of it in a Fangoria book on the 101 Best horror films you've never seen, and ended up picking up a copy.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

43. The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953)* - DVD

Needed some Harryhausen before the konth wraps. And more kaiju. The animation in this was great and Harryhausen was a god among men.

44. Gamera (1965) - Blu-ray

Some truly excellent mattes and miniatures in a stupid story. I'd only ever caught parts of a couple Gamera flicks previously. This set was a gift from my wife a while back and I cracked it open. Can't wait to watch the rest of them. Maybe next year will see me work through some giant monster films with focus and be an excuse to finally score a hardcopy of the original Japanese Godzilla and Westernized edit.

And the lighthouse scene kinda surprised me in this. The callout to a film that predated Godzilla shouldn't have surprised me, though. Kinda cute to see the same concept play out in stop motion versus suit+projector screen+miniature+puppet.

Tally: N/A Psycho (1960)*, 1. Halloween (1978), 2. Halloween II (1981), 3. Carnival of Souls (1962), 4. The Blob (1988), 5. I Bury the Living (1958), 6. Dead Men Walk (1943), 7. Nosferatu (1922), 8. Les Revenants (2002), 9. The Mummy's Hand (1940), 10. House on Haunted Hill (1959)*, 11. Lifeforce (1985), 12. The Gorilla (1939), 13. The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960), 14. November (2017), 15. Doghouse (2009), 16 Sssssss (1973), 17. Maniac (1934), 18. Thirst (2009)7, 19. Horror Hotel (1960), 20. Event Horizon (1997)*, 21. In the Mouth of Madness (1994)3, 22. Frankenstein (1931)*, 23. Monster from a Prehistoric Planet (1967), 24. The Bride of Frankenstein (1935), 25. The Funhouse (1981)6, 26. Beetlejuice (1988)5, 27. Fright Night (1985)2, 28. Son of Frankenstein (1939), 29. The Terror, 30. A Cure for Wellness (2016), 31. Blood Diner (1987), 32. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), 33. The Killer Shrews (1959)9, 34. The Devil Bat (1940)9, 35. The Bat (1959), 36. Alien Apocalypse (2005)*, 37. Dave Made a Maze (2017)8, 38. Wrong Turn (2003), 39. Last Woman on Earth (1960)4, 40. Halloween (2018)10, 41. I Sell the Dead (2008), 42. Village of the Damned (1995), 43. Beast from 10,000 Fathoms (1953)*, 44. Gamera (1965)

Years Spanned: 96 (1922-2018)

Tally by Decade: '20s (I), '30s (V), '40s (III), '50s (V), '60s (VIII), '70s (III), '80s (VII), '90s (III), 2000s (VI), 2010s (IV)

B&W/Color: 20/25

Rewatch/Total Counted: 5/44

Countries: 'Murika, Canada, Blighty, France, Germany, Estonia, South Korea, Japan

Fran Challenges Complete: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

* Rewatch

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
41. Mr. Jones (2013)

Half found footage and half mockumentary. I actually wish the documentary part was more substantial, because the dream like sequences really get tiresome eventually. The twist was pretty dumb, but I didn’t completely hate it overall. Probably because the last couple of movies I watched were pretty terrible.

2/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House | 11. Pumpkinhead | 12. Prom Night | 13. Tales from the Crypt | 14. Carnival of Souls | 15. The Fly II | 16. Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker | 17. Resolution | 18. The Endless | 19. Spontaneous Combustion | 20. Hardware | 21. The Haunting of Molly Hartley | 22. Hold the Dark | 23. Truth or Dare (2017)| 24. Trick or Treats | 25. The ‘Burbs | 26. Dead and Buried | 27. Digging up the Marrow | 28. Frankenstein Conquers the World | 29. The War of the Gargantuas | 30. Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil | 31. Apostle | 32. Maximum Overdrive | 33. Blood Rage | 34. Tales from the Hood 2 | 35. Halloween (1978) | 36. Halloween (2018) | 37. The Old Dark House | 38. Truth or Dare (2018) |39. Slender Man | 40. An American Werewolf in Paris | 41. Mr. Jones

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

30. The Witch in the Window (2018, Andy Mitton) Source: Shudder

This was a pleasant surprise. It's a Shudder original that I haven't heard anyone talking about. The basic premise is: a father takes his son to the country to live in an old house while he renovates it. The house is inhabited by the ghost of an evil witch. The film succeeds primarily from the genuine, sympathetic relationship between the father and son. Both actors do fine jobs, especially Alex Draper as the father. His struggles as a man trying to reconcile his own flaws with his desire to be a good father feel very real, and frankly hit close to home for me personally.

Unlike a lot of horror films of this ilk that wait until the second or even third act to get to the scares, this film throws them at us right out of the gate. It's hard to talk about particulars because I don't want to spoil anything (and spoiler tags are kinda dumb because I don't think many of you have seen this). I'll just say that it takes a pretty unique "everything's out on the table" approach to the haunting aspect. And there are a handful of effectively chilling scenes (one of which involves a phone call, you'll know what I mean when you watch it).

This is a brief, low key film. It succeeds by not trying to do more than it needs to. It's a creepy little flick with some good scares and a good heart.

Oh and this is the only film I've seen that tasks the audience with successfully triggering a Magic Eye poster to reveal plot details. Props for that.

(3.5 evil witches out of 5)

Total: 30
Watched: The Blob (4.5) | Mandy (5) | The Hands of Orloc (4) | Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (4.5) | Fright Night (3) | Black Magic Part II (4) | Body Melt (3.5) | Suspiria (5) | The Old Dark House (4.5) | The Nude Vampire (3.5) | The Thing From Another World (3) | Phantasm (4) | Basket Case 2 (3) | Murders in the Rue Morgue (2) | The Tenant (5) | The Howling (3) | Calvaire (3.5) | Hereditary (5) | Nothing Left to Fear (1) | The Black Cat (4) | The Killing of a Sacred Deer (4.5) | The Hills Have Eyes Part II (0.5) | Cannibal Holocaust (3) | Apostle (2) | Christine (3.5) | Winterbeast (4) | Terrified (3) | Halloween 2018 (4) | Revenge (1.5) | The Witch in the Window (3.5)
Fran Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Countries: USA (19) | Italy (3) | France (3) | Argentina (1) | Hong Kong (1) | Germany (1) | Belgium (1) | Australia (1)
Decades: 1920s (1) | 1930s (3) | 1950s (1) | 1970s (6) | 1980s (6) | 1990s (3) | 2000s (1) | 2010s (9)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

M_Sinistrari posted:

I think I first heard of it in a Fangoria book on the 101 Best horror films you've never seen, and ended up picking up a copy.

Hey! I have that book! Also The Ugly is a good movie, I watched it years and years ago.

#91. Creatures From The Abyss (1994) Five young people find themselves stranded aboard a ghost ship in the ocean. Turns out the ship was working on mutant monster fish.

If I hadn't seen the date, I'd think this film came out a decade prior. It feels very much the tone of cheese you see in old Italian horror, from the filmstock to the bad acting and voice dubbing. The writing is goofy, but not nearly as much as the special effects, which are mostly stop motion, but are at least over the top and wild. I think this film would work better in a group, but even then, the slow buildup takes too long.

:spooky::spooky: out of 5

#92. Carnival of Souls (1998) As a kid, Alex saw her mother assaulted and killed by her boyfriend, a clown. 20 years later, her and her sister run her mother's bar on a pier, but Alex starts having strange visions of the man terrorizing her, and other monsters...

This film claims to be based on the movie of the same name from the sixties, but besides a couple of sparse elements, it really isn't much the same. What it IS however, is very average mid 90s fare, with alright acting, and a "twist" ending you can see a mile away. Don't waste your time.

:spooky: out of 5

#93. Fermat's Room (2007) Four mathematicians are invited to a private gathering to solve a "great enigma". What they find is themselves trapped in a room with slowly closing in walls while being challenged to solve esoteric riddles or risk being crushed.

This was a fun one, sort of a Spanish, intellectual Saw. The tension really fills the room constantly, making it much harder to think about the puzzles at hand, not to mention the winding way the plot carries out. I enjoyed it.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky: out of 5

#94. High School Ghost Hustlers (1995) A trio of girls form their local high school paranormal club. After a few adventures at the urging of their faculty advisor, they become full fledged monster hunters, and find themselves on a case where a nearby school is possessed by a cadre of perverted, sex hungry ghosts. Yeah, it's gonna be one of those kinds of movies.

I watched this one last night in a stream, and the running gag the whole film ended up being "NOT PORN!" because whoo boy did it push that envelope on that issue. Of course, I've seen enough Japanese straight-to-video films to know that those WITHOUT sleazy sex are the rarity in that market. That said, this is super low budget and goofy, with some very...questionable special effects. Very silly, not very good.

#95. Black Candles (1982) Carol and her boyfriend travel to the home of her recently deceased brother outside England to settle legal affairs, and meet her strange sister-in-law. Slowly, Carol begins to suspect that the people around her are conspiring against her for Satanic means...

This is my first Jose Ramon Larraz film, though I've read about him a bit. In some ways, he's a bit like Jess Franco in that he combines sex and horror. I was not prepared for just how much very realistic looking sex (Including one scene between a woman and a goat!) there would be in this film however. I'm not sure five minutes go by at any point without a sex scene. It frankly got very boring. Also, the plot itself is basically Rosemary's Baby without the pregnancy motive, and much less secrecy. Dull.

:spooky: out of 5

#96. The Flesh and Blood Show (1975) A group of actors hole up in an old theater to prepare an improvised show to tour with. However, slowly the young people start getting killed off one by one by an unseen assailant...

This, meanwhile, was my first Pete Walker film. His British sensibilities are on full display here in the way people don't ask nearly enough questions, and allow things to just happen under their noses. There's actually very little blood in this aside from some scrapes and an opening sequence of red paint pouring down a dock. However, there is in fact quite a bit of nudity to distract from the slow script and bad acting.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

46. The Gate (1987)

The old "kids stay home while the parents go on vacation" trope is well tread territory, but I believe The Gate is the only film I have seen where the party is such small potatoes. It's not that the party was bad or anything, you would just have to be one hell of a host to overshadow ancient demons emmerging from a hole in your backyard, looking for sacrifices so they can retake control. Glen, played by young Stephen Dorff, and his sister 'Al' aren't aren't just sitting ducks though. Glen's best friends Terry is a metal nerd and has a record that teaches them how to close the demon gate.

The Gate is a really fun horror adventure with lots of great moments and special effects. The demons are cool little imps that are animated with stop-motion effects and look great. I absolutely loved watching the little things romp around looking confused at the human world. Most of the horror elements are light-hearted in nature, but the practical effects definitely bring some heat.

I think this would be a great horror movie for children, with it's themes of family bond, friendship, and courage. There is a small moment early on in the film, where the sister does something so awesome for her brother that meant from that moment I was beyond invested in this family conquering the demons. The Gate is a great film, but before I wrap up I have to mention that there are some extremely cringy moments with homophobic slurs being thrown around, but it's not bad enough to kill such an otherwise solid film.

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #9: Stranger Danger

I asked one of my good buddies to recommend me a horror film and this was the first one he mentioned. Saying "The Gate really had an effect on me as a kid," and that it remains one of his favorites.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

Hey! I have that book! Also The Ugly is a good movie, I watched it years and years ago.

I think I'd seen about half the films mentioned in the book when I picked it up, the rest were pretty easy to track down and were pretty good. Day of the Beast was probably the closest to being hard to find but it was worth it.

Choco1980 posted:

#94. High School Ghost Hustlers (1995) A trio of girls form their local high school paranormal club. After a few adventures at the urging of their faculty advisor, they become full fledged monster hunters, and find themselves on a case where a nearby school is possessed by a cadre of perverted, sex hungry ghosts. Yeah, it's gonna be one of those kinds of movies.

I watched this one last night in a stream, and the running gag the whole film ended up being "NOT PORN!" because whoo boy did it push that envelope on that issue. Of course, I've seen enough Japanese straight-to-video films to know that those WITHOUT sleazy sex are the rarity in that market. That said, this is super low budget and goofy, with some very...questionable special effects. Very silly, not very good.

:gizz: *chirp chirp*

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

41. Possession (1981, dir. Andrzej Żuławski) [blu-ray]
It's so much. Too much to grasp on the first watch. Isabelle Adjani with probably the most terrifying performance I've ever seen. Love a movie that uses genre to strike deeper and more effectively at something so human than nearly any drama. Masterful film making, one of the greats. 5/5

42. The Old Dark House (1932, dir. James Whale) [shudder]
Really light, funny, and entertaining. A classic about strangers taking shelter in a spooky house with a creepy family. Great cast, even if Karloff was maybe a little wasted under all that makeup with no lines to say. I think Ernest Thesiger was my favorite. And it's a very good looking film, great shadows and atmosphere in the house. 4/5

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #7: The World Is A Scary Place

:ghost: Watch a horror film made outside of the USA & Canada. If you live outside of the USA & Canada, you cannot choose a film made in your home country.

43. Alucarda (Mexico, 1977, dir. Juan López Moctezuma) [dvd]
Definitely a lot better than the other Mexican nunsploitation I watched this month. Alucarda has all the crazy and blasphemy you want from the start and ramps up for an amazing ending. 4/5

44. Halloween: Resurrection (2002, dir. Rick Rosenthal)
It's bad. Except I guess Jamie Lee Curtis does alright in the beginning. The pov webcam shots are so terrible to watch. Not even Busta's kung fu and 'trick or treat motherfucker' are enough to make this interesting. 1/5

45. The Pit and the Pendulum (1991, dir. Stuart Gordon) [blu-ray]
The two heroes are not very good, but everything else here is great. Lance Henriksen really brings the intensity and makes the movie, with Frances Bay and Jeffrey Combs as the other standouts. That and the perfect gothic setting. I'm not sure how they managed to make a movie this good looking and in a drat castle on a Full Moon budget but it's lovely and a lot of fun. 4/5

Total: 45. The Untold Story (3/5), *The Sleep Curse (4/5), The Faculty (3/5), Demon Knight (4/5), Return of the Living Dead (4/5), The Evil of Frankenstein (3/5), Hellraiser: Judgment (1/5), Vampyres (3/5), We're Going to Eat You (3/5), The Slumber Party Massacre (4/5), The Eternal Evil of Asia (3/5), ~*28 Weeks Later (3/5), Phantasm II (4/5), Ravenous (4/5), Carrie (4/5), The Beyond (4/5), ~The Ward (1/5), Village of the Damned['95] (2/5), Amer (4/5), Halloween 4 (2/5), Halloween 5 (2/5), Manhunter (4/5), Revenge (5/5), ~Nightbreed (3/5), Mandy (4/5), Shivers (4/5), The Purge (2/5), The Purge: Anarchy (3/5), Satanico Pandemonium (2/5), The Purge: Election Year (2/5), ~Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (4/5), The First Purge (4/5), The Addiction (5/5), Tales From the Hood (5/5), ~Angst (4/5), Apostle (3/5), ~Tenebre (4/5), The Invisible Man (4/5), Halloween 6 (1/5), Halloween H20 (2/5), Possession (5/5), The Old Dark House (4/5), ~Alucarda (4/5), Halloween: Resurrection (1/5), The Pit and the Pendulum (4/5)
*-rewatch (2)
~-fran challenge (7/10 completed)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jason Goes To Hell The Final Friday

I need to start off by complaining about the lighting. And I don't mean it's too dark, like Aliens vs Predator Requiem. The movie has a serious problem of character's faces being in shadow. It's an issue throughout the entire film. Day scenes, night scenes, scary scenes, exposition scenes, whatever. And I mean really in shadow, like almost completely dark. There's a sequence in what seems like a well lit diner, there's big window in front, lots of lights above the counter. But it's like they filmed only using that light, so whenever a character isn't facing the big windows in front, their face is almost completely dark. I've never seen anything like it in a movie, much less an actual, theatrically released studio movie.

There are some things I liked. I really liked the opening attack scene. A standard Jason trying to kill a lady scene is interrupted by fifty army guys and an artillery barrage. Hell Yes. And that was the opener, so I was completely on board for the movie from the start. And then there's a Robocop style news scene that's weird but I was down for it, yes, go weird, go Verhoeven on Friday the 13th!

But then everything else sucked.

Jason isn't a developmentally disabled man on a murder spree to get revenge for his mom, he's a magical evil demon that can move from body to body. Also, he had a sister. So now he wants to possess the body of his grandniece because non-Voorhees bodies aren't good enough. Also, despite the fact that Mrs. Voorhees was a cook at a summer camp, apparently the Voorhees family livedin a massive Victorian mansion, with booby traps, and also they had the Necronomicon, literally the exact book from Evil Dead. Also, the entire Voorhees family is magical, even younger Voorheeses who had nothing to do with it can transform regular knife into a ceremonial dagger.

The little Jason chestburster monster was incredibly stupid.

The characters were bland and lame or weirdly cruel and terrible, no other options.

Jason Goes To Hell The Final Friday is really lovely

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

25)A Page of Madness (filmstruck)

jumping on the bandwagon. Definitely deserves a watch, as it's crazy impressive for a film from 1926. The cinematography and special effects are all fantastic, and it really should be mentioned along with Caligari, nosferatu, Vampyr and Haxan as a classic silent horror flick. Guess, being lost for so long didn't help it, but don't miss out on it now.

5/5

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

#34. The Old Dark House (1932) (Shudder) - :ghost::ghost:/5

Two groups of travelers are forced to seek shelter with an odd family in a house in Wales due to weather. During the night, tensions rise, the mute butler gets drunk and starts attacking people, and the family secret is let loose.

Dull, repetitive, talky, and not at all scary. A group of decent enough actors mills around an admittedly impressive haunted mansion set, talking about not much interesting. Karloff is less of an interesting or intimidating presence here as the dumb manservant character than in Frankenstein, despite playing more or less the same character beats. (I guess this confirms my previous theory about the iconic makeup design doing most of the heavy lifting in that first film.) Also, the evil brother character who shows up in the last act to attack the one guy and try to burn the house down feels like it wasn't set up well, and more like a deus ex machina to try and rush the story to some kind of conclusion... which is even weirder that they have the already established violent drunk manservant to use as a potential antagonist.

I know this gained some curiosity as a "lost film" by director James Whale, but frankly, this one could have stayed lost. Not recommended.

Watched so far: Cat People, Halloween 5, Mom and Dad, Hell House LLC, A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), Beetlejuice, The Horror of Party Beach, Wes Craven's New Nightmare, The Return of the Living Dead, A Nightmare on Elm Street 2, Murder Party, Anaconda, Dracula (1931), The Ritual, Blade II, The Beyond, Sleepaway Camp, Lord of Illusions, The Mummy's Ghost, Children of the Corn II, The Mummy's Curse, The Prophecy, Child's Play 2, Halloween II (1981), Hotel Transylvania, Psycho (1960), Halloween III, The Creature Walks Among Us, Train to Busan, Frankenstein (1931), The Addams Family, Bedeviled, Halloween (2018), The Old Dark House (1932)

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is Possession streaming anywhere? Been meaning to watch that for a long time now but I don't recall seeing it anywhere, and the only version on youtube is filmed with a cameraphone, has a giant lens flare in the middle of the screen, and has an audio delay.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is Possession streaming anywhere? Been meaning to watch that for a long time now but I don't recall seeing it anywhere, and the only version on youtube is filmed with a cameraphone, has a giant lens flare in the middle of the screen, and has an audio delay.

Nope.

You know what you must do.

It's worth it, though.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

47. Rampage (2018)

Dwayne Johnson plays another charismatic badass with a heart of gold. This time he is a primatologist who's close friends with a smart-rear end, jokester albino gorilla. Unfortunately the gorilla, as well as a wolf and crocodile are all poisoned from experimental gas canisters that fall from a space research station. The poison makes them all mutate, growing extremely large and becoming very angry.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson teams up with a genetic engineer and government spook (who is also a cowboy) to save the city from destruction, but also save the gorilla because he is cool and funny and The Rock loves him with all his heart. Rampage is definitely a snack film that knows it and doesn't make you think too hard about anything. There are some hilarious kills and a lot more violence then I was expecting. I would say check it out if you like monster movies and just want to watch a lot of dumb action.

Franchescanado posted:

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

MUBI has it up for rental right now. Granted, you have to pay 4 bucks to watch it, but it’s the best way to see Possession right now aside from buying the Blu-Ray release (which you should still do and I should do because it’s incredible).

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

As you hunt for this make sure you get the original cut. Archive dot org has the edited version if I remember correctly.

• Locked thread