Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Tias posted:

I never actually realized that people who couldn't tell Danes and Dutch apart existed in real life :confused:

Also, those moose riding fuckers keep replacing our good wholesome aqua vitae with beaver piss whiskey, so it's not like they have no part in keeping the feud up.

Just a joke reference to the dear departed aqua swim animated show Metalocalypse where the Swedish lead guitarist confuses Danes for Dutch :haw:

Also stay off our filthy arctic rocks or else we will ask again!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't think it would be catastrophic, it would just stop working. You're only talking 1 atmosphere of pressure differential between 100% vacuum and sea level. It's not going to be like poking a hole in a sub that's 500 meters down (approx 50 atmospheres).

Hell, depending on the size of the hole it might not even stop working. I'm guessing the system would have to be built to deal with the normal minor leaks etc. If you punched a baseball sized hole in it it would probably be noticed and need to be repaired, but I suspect that the trains in the tubes would at least be able to get to the next stop.

edit: not saying that the hyperloop is a good idea, or is going to happen, etc. Just saying that this is one of those things like how busting out a window on a jet at altitude doesn't suck everyone out.

Okay, that's less fragile than I had assumed, thanks for clearing it up. I guess I was just thinking that it sounds really expensive and fragile at the same time. The vacuum needed for the loop to function has to be maintained, after all.

darnon posted:

If your plans of diabolical sabotage necessitate a drilling rig I feel like there are simpler, more effective methods of terrorism you could be engaging in.

According Wolvertons criticism, the problem is two-fold: Because the system is so novel, it will attract more interest as a terrorist target (which seems hard to prove), but that actually sabotaging the system could easily be done in ways that have catastrophic consequences. He gives the example that you could cause a power outage just when a capsule was rocketing through the tube and strand it ten miles from the nearest city, which seems much more reasonable and the kind of contingency dorks like Musk don't even want to consider, b/c then he'd have to plan for it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Pretty sure it'd be a hard sell for Hyperloop passengers to hear "in the event of a stoppage while underground, please don't try to exit the cabin as there's no air in the tunnel - wait for hours for us to come and get you."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pretty sure it'd be a hard sell for Hyperloop passengers to hear "in the event of a stoppage while underground, please don't try to exit the cabin as there's no air in the tunnel - wait for hours for us to come and get you."

Inward-opening doors like airplanes.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I like some this thread can’t conceive that an electric low pressure tube underground is a safer and less expensive form of transit than flying through the air and that someone called me an idiot for suggesting so.

Subways exist and rail exist and 375mph mag lev trains exist and Japan’s bullet train has had 0 injuries or fatalities since 1964.

Yes there are new failure modes, with plenty of mitigation solutions, for the low pressure, higher speed tube, but a plane is not the safer and cheaper basic concept.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My personal take on hyperloop: we as a country refuse to invest in conventional high speed rail, or even maintain our standard tracks to an adequate degree; do you really think we're going to invest in one that requires pressurization and/or tunneling?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've been stuck on a train for 1.5 hours - nobody tried to open a door. There's also been planes that have been stuck on the tarmac for hours, and doors remained closed.

This isn't something new or novel.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Fender Anarchist posted:

My personal take on hyperloop: we as a country refuse to invest in conventional high speed rail, or even maintain our standard tracks to an adequate degree; do you really think we're going to invest in one that requires pressurization and/or tunneling?

Rail tracks in the US are, by and large, privately owned and kept up to the necessary standard to carry freight traffic. It would be inappropriate to spend taxpayer money maintaining them, although that happens anyway. As mentioned above, high speed rail doesn't make sense when airline tickets are cheap and don't require exercising eminent domain.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

TCD posted:

I've been stuck on a train for 1.5 hours - nobody tried to open a door. There's also been planes that have been stuck on the tarmac for hours, and doors remained closed.

Yeah, but you can open a window and get air on a train, and see out of both a plane and train. All I've heard with regards to the interior of a Hyperloop cabin are screens on the walls, and it would stand to reason that the cabins would have to be equipped with a pressurized oxygen system since there's no way they're getting it from inside the vacuum tube.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The idiotic thing is the prospect of THOUSANDS of miles of vacuum sealed tunnels being dug and blasted across the country. You loving idiot.

"It's completely impossible to build high speed rail infrastructure in this country, so let's DIG THOUSANDS OF MILES OF loving TUNNELS, SUCK ALL THE AIR OUT OF THEM, AND DO THAT INSTEAD! That's definitely way cheaper and more politically feasible and not a complete idiot boondoggle dreamed up by a rich dumbass."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Fender Anarchist posted:

Where are you getting the idea what "we as a country" are investing in hyperloop?

hailthefish posted:

"It's completely impossible to build high speed rail infrastructure in this country,

It's not impossible, it's just dumb and unnecessary.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

(hyperloop is never happening)

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb-sKcHJ67E

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is a weird thing to fixate on. It’s 1 ATM. They’ll open some valves and pressurize the tube. This isn’t a intractable engineering conundrum. In an emergency where people couldn’t just chill in the cars I’m guessing that they would let air in and evacuate like any subway.

Again don’t consider this an endorsement of hyperloop. There are all sorts of issues with it but people find the oddest poo poo to lean on when insisting that it’s stupid.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is a weird thing to fixate on. It’s 1 ATM. They’ll open some valves and pressurize the tube. This isn’t a intractable engineering conundrum. In an emergency where people couldn’t just chill in the cars I’m guessing that they would let air in and evacuate like any subway.

Again don’t consider this an endorsement of hyperloop. There are all sorts of issues with it but people find the oddest poo poo to lean on when insisting that it’s stupid.

Its not simple to "just let air in" to a many hundred miles long pressure chamber.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Like I don’t think people understand just how unexceptional a vacuum is. Every thermos has one. You can create a vacuum chamber of your own with poo poo you can buy at Home Depot. The challenge will be keeping the tube leak free enough to maintain reasonably close enough to a vacuum for the low drag poo poo to work out.

It’s unlikely to happen because it would be a huge infrastructure project on the order of building a subway from SF to LA, not because the crazy sci fi tech is going to kill people the second they have a minor malfunction.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Its not simple to "just let air in" to a many hundred miles long pressure chamber.

You’re assuming that it would be one single pressure vessel. I suspect that it would be segmented for a while host of reasons.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

hailthefish posted:

The idiotic thing is the prospect of THOUSANDS of miles of vacuum sealed tunnels being dug and blasted across the country. You loving idiot.

This mostly isn’t a thread where we call people loving idiots for gently disagreeing with us so don’t poo poo it up. That said you mostly post about making GBS threads on the marine corps, any new military development and any country not pursuing military development, so maybe get therapy?

If a hyperloop can recoup its money in a few years selling a $75 each way ticket from SF to LA that takes less than 3 hours, it’s a great idea. There doesn’t need to be much politics about it if its privately funded, underground, etc. as is currently proposed.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Get murdered.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

You’re assuming that it would be one single pressure vessel. I suspect that it would be segmented for a while host of reasons.

So during each trip its constantly accelerating and decelerating, coming to a stop and waiting to switch chambers?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Glad trains are causing a really dumb meltdown.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CarForumPoster posted:

This mostly isn’t a thread where we call people loving idiots for gently disagreeing with us so don’t poo poo it up. That said you mostly post about making GBS threads on the marine corps, any new military development and any country not pursuing military development, so maybe get therapy?

If a hyperloop can recoup its money in a few years selling a $75 each way ticket from SF to LA that takes less than 3 hours, it’s a great idea. There doesn’t need to be much politics about it if its privately funded, underground, etc. as is currently proposed.

Bingo. If we can make passenger terminals less of a pain in the rear end than commercial air, I'm all over it. Right now I make the 7 hr drive from Vegas to SLC about once a month, because by the time I deal with both airports it takes the same amount of time, and the cheaper airfare (vs gas) is more than offset by not needing a rental for the weekend.

Not that I actually expect it to actually work, though.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

hobbesmaster posted:

So during each trip its constantly accelerating and decelerating, coming to a stop and waiting to switch chambers?

More likely you would just have the doors to the next chamber already open and then close the doors as soon as the train is through.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm not holding out hope for the hyperloop. Most of what I hear about it are promises from Musk about what it can or will do.

We'll have the car move on skates. Drive your car in and zoom your car is transported over a hundred miles an hour under the city!

No, nevermind, but we promise to have one from a parking lot two miles away from Dodger Stadium to the Stadium open by 2020. But it'll only be one way for reasons.

Also my Tesla semi-truck, sending people in orbit around Earth, total autopilot, Tesla paying its creditors, and a mission to Mars are all going to happen reallllly soon.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Whether or not the hyperloop is a dumb idea, time will tell, it's going to built regardless. Once they finish testing the prototype in Nevada, they're already set-up to start building the test platform in Texas going from Dallas to Austin.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Here's a cool train-related image someone posted in C-SPAM.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Back Hack posted:

Whether or not the hyperloop is a dumb idea, time will tell, it's going to built regardless. Once they finish testing the prototype in Nevada, they're already set-up to start building the test platform in Texas going from Dallas to Austin.

It's giving me the same vibe as the xth kickstarted console.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
AIRPOWER/Cold War - Not shown: passenger suffocation

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Tias posted:

I never actually realized that people who couldn't tell Danes and Dutch apart existed in real life :confused:

Also, those moose riding fuckers keep replacing our good wholesome aqua vitae with beaver piss whiskey, so it's not like they have no part in keeping the feud up.

When I was doing my undergrad, several members of the university's history society protested the unlawful and barbaric seizure by those criminal Danes by burning a bunch of danish pastries in front of the nearest Danish consulate. I am given to understand that the matter escalated rapidly after that, with the consulate staff being invited out to a local bar and compelled to drink Molson and Labatt products.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Like I don’t think people understand just how unexceptional a vacuum is. Every thermos has one. You can create a vacuum chamber of your own with poo poo you can buy at Home Depot. The challenge will be keeping the tube leak free enough to maintain reasonably close enough to a vacuum for the low drag poo poo to work out.

It’s unlikely to happen because it would be a huge infrastructure project on the order of building a subway from SF to LA, not because the crazy sci fi tech is going to kill people the second they have a minor malfunction.

Yeah, it's not hard. I have a small vacuum chamber that I use for degassing resin prior to casting things.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 22, 2018

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

TCD posted:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5dibn4

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

There doesn’t need to be much politics about it if its privately funded, underground, etc. as is currently proposed.
I'm sure that all the property owners between LA and SF will be happy to have a huge tunnel dug underneath their land and would never think of asking for so much money that it would make the project unfeasible.

In the alternate scenario where all or some of them tell Musk to piss up a rope and then he tries to get them all eminent-domained, there would be no politics involved at all.

Godholio posted:

If we can make passenger terminals less of a pain in the rear end than commercial air, I'm all over it.

Do you really think that there'd be no TSA security screenings and no baggage checks for a hyperloop? I doubt it.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Craptacular posted:

Do you really think that there'd be no TSA security screenings and no baggage checks for a hyperloop? I doubt it.

You can't fly it into a building, so maybe not?

Is TSA screening required for cruise ships or (more relevant) trains?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Buttcoin purse posted:

Is TSA screening required for cruise ships or (more relevant) trains?

TSA screening is required for Amtrak. My baggage has been frisked before when traveling from Philly to Boston.

e: It does seem to be a much more "targeted/random screening" approach than the force everybody through the backscatter machine you get at the airport.

Have fun taking guns on the train though, the list of rules & regulations is loving longer than for airplanes. Hooray for federal government, etc.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

OWLS! posted:

TSA screening is required for Amtrak. My baggage has been frisked before when traveling from Philly to Boston.

I don't know how strict this is. I occasionally take the Milwaukee to Chicago and both ways you can just hop on the train.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I didn't go through any kind of screening when I went from Toledo to Chicago, either.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't recall the last time I was asked for a ticket on the metrolink, much less asked to open my bags for a bomb search.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Never been scanned or frisked in SF or LA.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

OWLS! posted:

e: It does seem to be a much more "targeted/random screening" approach than the force everybody through the backscatter machine you get at the airport.

Have fun taking guns on the train though, the list of rules & regulations is loving longer than for airplanes. Hooray for federal government, etc.

I've never been screened on either NEC or Acela, that I can recall.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mortabis posted:

Rail tracks in the US are, by and large, privately owned and kept up to the necessary standard to carry freight traffic. It would be inappropriate to spend taxpayer money maintaining them, although that happens anyway. As mentioned above, high speed rail doesn't make sense when airline tickets are cheap and don't require exercising eminent domain.

they do unless you want a collapse of the ecosystem?

Fearless posted:

When I was doing my undergrad, several members of the university's history society protested the unlawful and barbaric seizure by those criminal Danes by burning a bunch of danish pastries in front of the nearest Danish consulate. I am given to understand that the matter escalated rapidly after that, with the consulate staff being invited out to a local bar and compelled to drink Molson and Labatt products.

Good thing they weren't hosed up from watching hockey, then :aaa:

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

TSA has repeatedly tried to elbow their way into regular searches/screening on domestic rail, but Amtrak keeps raising hell and getting it shut down because the lack of a security line is pretty much their single remaining advantage over air travel.