Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

My iPhone 6 Plus stopped syncing my photos to iCloud for some reason. Looking at the photos on the phone and the photos in iCloud, it looks like it stopped on or around 9/26. The only thing I can think of that I would have done around that time was install iOS 12. However, I updated my iPad Pro to 12 at around that time also, and my photos from that still sync to iCloud without any problems. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

RoboCop 3 posted:

My iPhone 6 Plus stopped syncing my photos to iCloud for some reason. Looking at the photos on the phone and the photos in iCloud, it looks like it stopped on or around 9/26. The only thing I can think of that I would have done around that time was install iOS 12. However, I updated my iPad Pro to 12 at around that time also, and my photos from that still sync to iCloud without any problems. :confused:

iCloud troubleshooting is pretty much always just log out and log back in. Did you log out and back in again?

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

tuyop posted:

iCloud troubleshooting is pretty much always just log out and log back in. Did you log out and back in again?
Nope, but I just did that, and now everything is working great! I probably should have thought of that solution myself. Thank you! :)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tuyop posted:

That’s crazy then. I’m even more confused then before!

The delayed rollout didn’t help any.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Has anyone else been getting crazy battery drain after upgrading to iOS 12? I’ve tried turning off features like screen time, but it didn’t seem to help. The phone now gets warm/hot to the touch during regular use. Going through two full charges a day now instead of 60-80% a day. iPhone 6S on 12.0.1 currently.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

tuyop posted:

That’s crazy then. I’m even more confused then before!

Spend some quality time with https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/ if you actually care

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

John DiFool posted:

Has anyone else been getting crazy battery drain after upgrading to iOS 12? I’ve tried turning off features like screen time, but it didn’t seem to help. The phone now gets warm/hot to the touch during regular use. Going through two full charges a day now instead of 60-80% a day. iPhone 6S on 12.0.1 currently.

Maybe?

My SE was getting a bit wonky in the battery area before 12 but its levels are really behaving oddly right now — it will happily hop between even 10:s, with little apparent rhyme or reason, staying at (say) 40% for half an hour, and then suddenly decide to quickly count down to 20% over a single minute. It has its occasional hot flashes at times too, generally (but not always) accompanied with rapid battery level loss.

It still seems able to hold a charge through a full day, but the actual percentage displayed is wholly unreliable and useless for determining how long the battery will actually last.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

That's clearly some sort of runaway process on the phone. It happened to me on an iPad on a beta once. It was always hot, battery life was pitiful, right after the software update. A later beta fixed it. It's exactly what you would expect from a processor being run full tilt for no reason at all.

Nothing is wrong with the hardware, I practically guarantee it. But I don't know how to fix the software. If only it weren't so locked down.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Maybe restore to factory settings, set up as new phone and slowly add back apps until the culprit's found?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Did you reboot the phone? Sometimes that clears up haywire background poo poo.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Pivo posted:

Nothing is wrong with the hardware, I practically guarantee it. But I don't know how to fix the software. If only it weren't so locked down.

With a 6S chances are the battery is just stuffed now - they pretty much all are

Dunno about the SE, we never deployed any of those

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Immediately after a software update + sudden onset excessive heat rules that out. Although the battery may be worn as well the change isn’t so dramatic and sudden

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
E: damnit

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Setttings -> Battery

Will tell you what is behaving badly (if anything)

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Anytime I take a picture in landscape, the picture flips and it have to edit it in order to rotate it.

Does anyone have any idea why it is doing this or any idea what I can do to make it stop this?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is it possible to customize the “Up Next” widget? Just basic things like “don’t include this calendar” or reminder list?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

withak posted:

Setttings -> Battery

Will tell you what is behaving badly (if anything)
It won't. At best it'll show nothing, at worst it'll assign the drain to another app. There's no way to see what system tasks are doing what on iOS.
OP needs to just do a complete reset.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeah, userland is sufficiently locked down that while third-party applications can be bad neighbours with their background activity they absolutely cannot dominate the scheduler and cause the device to spin continuously in the background. That privilege is reserved for the operating system, whose contribution to battery drain is quite hidden from you. If you Google "why does kernel_task", it'll finish your sentence with something like "take so much CPU", Apple's no stranger to this. If iPhone had a fan to spin up, you'd notice a lot more people noticing this failure mode.

Getting into rant territory really, and this may be 'too Android-y' for some, but goddammit it's a full UNIX running on a powerful processor, pretending it's not a general purpose computer that can have the same issues as other general purpose computers like runaway system tasks is just arrogant on Apple's part, considering how often they're caught with their pants down re: botched updates and especially considering even an error that affects 0.01% of users still affects tens of thousands of people.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I agree with you, but even on Android you can typically only diagnose the issue, the fix is still a reset. There are a few niche cases where you can get actionable information - I was able to determine my android was bouncing between wifi calling and cellular, waking the phone constantly when in a particular spot at work - but largely all mobile OSes stop you doing anything system level.

Even windows doesn't always give you something useful if it's a service-level issue.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Khablam posted:

Even windows doesn't always give you something useful if it's a service-level issue.

Nothing stops a dedicated person with root & a debugger on Windows, Linux and macOS. I'm not generally that person, I'm more likely to kill the offending service or find ways to stop it running until a patch from upstream rather than determine a root cause, but if you have the time and dedication you can literally debug the kernel.

edit: The whole "oops small bug let's nuke the system from orbit" is such 90s thinking and the reason we all loving hated Microsoft

Pivo fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 21, 2018

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I don't disagree with you, but you're full-on dreaming if you think Apple will ever let users be able to determine the iPhone even runs an OS, let alone play with parts of it.
They want people to not understand how/why it does anything, because it's easier to sell something with mystique behind it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Khablam posted:

I don't disagree with you, but you're full-on dreaming if you think Apple will ever let users be able to determine the iPhone even runs an OS, let alone play with parts of it.
They want people to not understand how/why it does anything, because it's easier to sell something with mystique behind it.

Haha, what? It’s more just that the average user is barely literate, let alone digitally literate. All computers have been moving in the direction of commodification and the appliance model for decades.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Oh, I'm ranting. I don't expect Apple will ever cater to people like me. I fell in love with Apple in the mid 2000s because OS X was a full UNIX that actually wasn't a pain in the rear end to use for typical user-y things. You *could* debug it, but you rarely *needed* to. I still like Apple products but as others have made huge gains in ease of use, stability and functionality, Apple's "let us take care of the details, don't worry your pretty little head" disposition is becoming increasingly frustrating.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Jailbreak and you can force quit a process but your phone will still be hot since your app will have an ethereum miner in it.

One of the reasons I use iOS is my day job is computer touching and I don't want to do that poo poo on my phone.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Nobody is forcing you to do that on other platforms, I suspect you have a compulsion to do so because of your technical background and because the option is there. With the option being removed, you're more comfortable just behaving like a regular user.

All I know was when my iPad Mini 4 was dumping its battery to the atmosphere on a long train ride because of ~~who knows~~, I really wanted the option to be there, computer-touching day job notwithstanding.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Am I crazy when I think that sometimes app force quit doesn't work anymore since they removed the red x? It seems like touching, pausing, and swiping up only closes the app occasionally now.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Khablam posted:

I agree with you, but even on Android you can typically only diagnose the issue, the fix is still a reset. There are a few niche cases where you can get actionable information - I was able to determine my android was bouncing between wifi calling and cellular, waking the phone constantly when in a particular spot at work - but largely all mobile OSes stop you doing anything system level.

In the last few versions, Android has removed a lot of the user-facing tools that would even let you diagnose a problem like that. So you’re flying as blind on it as you are on an Apple platform, but your OS also lacks some of the fences that Apple imposed to keep apps from going gonzo and destroying your battery.

My old Pixel 2 at one point was dropping 1% battery a minute. I had to use a developer tool that dissected bug report files generated on the device, in order to determine that Instagram had a background service that got wedged and kept the CPU from sleeping.

If Android development weren’t the thing that puts food on my table, I would’ve had no clue how to deal with this or where to look, and would’ve just wiped my phone.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

kitten smoothie posted:

In the last few versions, Android has removed a lot of the user-facing tools that would even let you diagnose a problem like that. So you’re flying as blind on it as you are on an Apple platform, but your OS also lacks some of the fences that Apple imposed to keep apps from going gonzo and destroying your battery.

My old Pixel 2 at one point was dropping 1% battery a minute. I had to use a developer tool that dissected bug report files generated on the device, in order to determine that Instagram had a background service that got wedged and kept the CPU from sleeping.

If Android development weren’t the thing that puts food on my table, I would’ve had no clue how to deal with this or where to look, and would’ve just wiped my phone.
The system-level tools haven't moved at all, you still need to authorize an app via ADB in order for it to read those flags, and AFAIK you always have. The only change is on Android P where the battery stats have been moved away in favour of the adaptive battery management instead.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

Not even after your car falls apart because it rained?

I’m in Michigan. Hail and rain so heavy I couldn’t see hasn’t messed with the car at all.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Has the Overcast developer commented on removing the progress bar from the footer? It's strange how much it bugs me that I now need to tap through to another screen to see how far along I am before I start a run or a drive.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Last night, my wife was using my air pods and for the first time, I could hear her music playing across the room. I did a reset of them this morning but she said that she could now hear it when I am listening to podcasts.

Has anyone else noticed that the sound is projecting outwards more? Is there any idea of what I can do to help reduce this?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's the same as with earpods, the grille in your ear canal gets gummed up and sound tends to exit out the rear more.
You can clean it off with isopropyl.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

coke posted:

No joke, after using the X for a while, I end up replacing my old 1080p tv with a 4k HDR OLED TV because of those deep deep blacks, HDR and awesome but accurate colors.

It could happen to anyone.

Including you.

There are apparently no OLED TV's under 55 inches. I have a plasma that I'd like to upgrade from without losing those deep deep blacks, but I don't want a 50+ inch TV. I do acknowledge my love for true black is going to cost me some serious money someday.

:sigh:

But yeah, the OLED screen is worth $200. I'm still awestruck at some of the colors and I've had this for near a year now. An Apple LCD is drat fine too, but the X screen is just too good.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I trained my wife well. If we stop into a Best Buy or something she'll always find the $3000 OLED TV and point at it and go "ooooOOOoooo."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How can you see the tv's with the army of best buy employees cutting you off and asking if you need anything?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

xzzy posted:

How can you see the tv's with the army of best buy employees cutting you off and asking if you need anything?

Put the intention of actually buying something in your mind and they'll all disappear

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Clark Nova posted:

Put the intention of actually buying something in your mind and they'll all disappear

Hahahah nice. I do wonder how or if they will survive over the next 5 or 10 years. I have no idea what their board of directors can really do to future proof. They have hung around surprisingly well but I am still struck by the employee : customer ratio whenever I visit. Also gently caress their store brands I hate how when I want whatever cable I have to decide whether to Amazon it and wait a day or two vs. biting the Best Buy bullet and paying 2 or 3x the Amazon price, sometimes 4x.

There's a good HDTV thread in this subforum btw. They had me settle on a nice non-OLED TCL and Best Buy was the only store in my area that carried it. They had a Best-Buy exclusive model that cheaped out on a couple very specific components and changed the model number, which meant no price matching.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 22, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I've found Best Buy to be super competitive now and I regularly buy electronics there because they either have the lower price already or they will price match Amazon no problem.

I bought my iPad Pro and all accessories there because they were undercutting Amazon/Apple by $150

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah Best Buy has surprised me a few times with regards to getting a good deal on something. And at worst, it's a good place to see how something looks in the flesh (as long as it's not a TVs picture quality).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

They'll last another ~15 years because the boomer generation will still go in and ask the staff "whats best" and get up-sold on every needless $50 HDMI cable as well.
Honestly not sure how most retail (particularly anything electrical) will survive the boomers dying off, but there's a thread on the retail apocalypse.