Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Arcturas posted:

Will I understand how to play Echo Arena if I have never played Lone Echo?

Yes. Echo VR (I guess they changed the name) has a movement tutorial that will teach you the basic controls. Then just treat it like Rocket League, where everything is crazy and you have no idea what you're doing, but it's still fun.

Seriously, just hop in and gently caress with it. I'm Shine.49 for anybody who wants to party up. We can be bad together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Oh yeah, Lemming gave me some very helpful advice on throwing.

Throwing will take some getting used to, but keep in that that you don't have to throw it the way you'd throw an actual frisbee, because you don't need to worry about generating lift and poo poo (there's no gravity!). You can even pitch the disc accurately (albeit slowly) by simply "pushing" it out in front of you and releasing, like bringing your hand in toward your chest and just pushing it out. You won't get any speed that way, but it'll give you a reliable throw for close open net shots (of which there are plenty in newbie games) as you work on your accuracy with faster throws.

The lobby is a space station with various training areas, including one where you can spawn a "personal disc" that only you can see or interact with, so you don't even have to feel embarrassed about missing badly as you practice.

There's also a small arena designed for one-on-one pickup matches, but you can often futz about it in alone, and it's a great place to work on reading the disc's bounces and get better at chasing it, or better yet, by flying to the location where you predict it'll end up, kinda like one would in Rocket League. Since it's a small room, you won't have to fly all over the drat place between touches.

Anyway, yeah, anybody who wants to play Echo VR, add me (Shine.49) and we can play space frisbee.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Fuzz posted:

Hell yeah! thefuzz AT gmail!

as long as that's a dot com it should be in your inbox now

edit: ok whats new in the world of VR on Steam anyway?

Sexbot Quality Assurance Simulator

https://store.steampowered.com/app/868380/Sexbot_Quality_Assurance_Simulator/ :nws:

oh

ok

well yes

:prepop:

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 21, 2018

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The Oculus Go headset makes my face red as hell after I've been wearing it for a while. It feels like there's a lot of weight sitting on my cheekbones.

I would never want to use this to sit and watch movies via netflix or whatever, as it's not comfortable enough to sit for hours with this thing on. Messing around playing games and such is fine, but I couldn't relax and watch a movie this way.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Orange Sunshine posted:

The Oculus Go headset makes my face red as hell after I've been wearing it for a while. It feels like there's a lot of weight sitting on my cheekbones.

I would never want to use this to sit and watch movies via netflix or whatever, as it's not comfortable enough to sit for hours with this thing on. Messing around playing games and such is fine, but I couldn't relax and watch a movie this way.
What about lying on your back in bed or something? my rift isn't portable but I always thought it'd be neat to try in a "how lazy can I theoretically get" sort of way

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Bhodi posted:

What about lying on your back in bed or something? my rift isn't portable but I always thought it'd be neat to try in a "how lazy can I theoretically get" sort of way

I think that would mean ever more weight on my face.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bhodi posted:

That's the only thing I still use my GearVR for. It sucks at pretty much everything else, but it definitely proved its worth the few times I've been sick since I got it.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Bhodi posted:

I would do this with my Virtual Boy while playing Wario Land for timeframes much longer than Nintendo recommended.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Bhodi posted:

This is exactly what I use my go for the most. Since I'm on my back it doesn't need to have the straps as tight so it's more comfortable to begin with, and it's just kind of resting there.

I really like it for that, I just watched baby driver 2 nights ago while laying in bed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The rear strap mechanism on the Odyssey gets in the way of lying on the back like I normally would, but it kind of works by sticking a pillow a bit lower, under the neck. I watching a 40 minute show last night and it was fine. One thing that would improve it though would be a way to adjust the orientation such that I could look straight at the screen while actually looking at the ceiling IRL. Is there any way to do it in WMR or Bigpicture beta? There's a "recenter" feature in the latter but it only changes the horizontal center.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

In big screen, there should be a bedroom environment that has the screen on the ceiling.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So since the monoculus shows up as a vive to steamvr, I enabled the motion smoothing last night.

They weren’t kidding when they said it was like motion smoothing on a TV. It accomplishes it’s core goal, but it introduces obviously noticeable visual artifacts.

It really does help with frame drops, but the artifacts are right in your face. For example, in Elite Dangerous, it warps the static ship HUD elements, which are things that normally never move in-game, so when you see them wobbling around, it’s weird.

I didn’t notice anything in iracing, which also requires steamvr, so maybe some games are better suited for it than others? Or maybe it’s just that in iracing I’m more focused on the race and less on the hud? My rig also nearly never drops frames in iracing, so the smoothing may never even have kicked in there :iiam:

It’s a trade off I guess, which one takes you out of the game more, frame drops or spaghetti HUD? You enable or disable the smoothing based on that I guess.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 21, 2018

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Sexbot Quality Assurance Simulator
I laugh heartily at the fact that if you haven't turned on Adults Only Content, searching for this gives you exactly two results:
  • Assetto Corsa Competizione (racing simulation)
  • Race To Mars (strategy game)
Do I get to race sexbots to Mars in either of these?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Had a nice long run in my new Oculus last night... definitely considering a third sensor.

Anyone else with an Oculus: what do you guys do to reduce the lens flare/glare with high contrast stuff? I can usually position it fine to not have to worry, but sometimes I'll still get it, particularly in Skyrim at night. I'm told that changing out the facemask is a big step in the right direction, though all of those solutions work on the premise that your eyes are closer to the lens and thus there's less aberration from the curvature. Problem with that, for me at least, is that my eyelashes already are dangerously closely to slapping up against the lenses when I blink, even with the stock mask and the Rift on pretty snuggly (I have big eyes and pretty long eyelashes for a dude. No I'm not going to cut them). I don't think getting my face closer will be the greatest idea, but might work... any other good solutions?

Also the Debug Tool Supersampling trick is drat nice. Sadly, even with my 8700k overclocked to 5gigs, my regular GTX 1070 isn't up to snuff to render Skyrim with all the lighting and flora mods active without some pretty heavy frame drops. Sad. :smith:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Thrill of the Fight VR is a loving blast, and you will gas right the gently caress out if you don't pace yourself. Hella worth a try if Creed and such feel too arcadey. Get on the beta branch, imo. Box VR has nothing on TotF for working up a sweat.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So what's Arizona Sunshine like? It seems to be the most popular VR game on Steam but I never hear anyone talk about it.

How's it compare to say, Left 4 Dead?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It’s a well done but bland zombie first person shooter. It is fun but gets old after a while.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Gort posted:

So what's Arizona Sunshine like? It seems to be the most popular VR game on Steam but I never hear anyone talk about it.

I had a lot of fun playing through it once, and beat it. There are some more multiplayer modes, etc, but it's mostly only worth playing through once, IMO.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Gort posted:

It’s fun, co op story is fun. Horde mode is meh.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I'm starting to get earwax on my controllers, from putting in and taking out my headphones. They're plug type, and I keep accidentally touching the bit that goes in your ears. Probably from putting them in with the headset on.

Anyone know a good way to clean it off? Besides being gross it's starting to interfere with the Vive's touchpad.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Use q-tips and over ear headphones

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm starting to get earwax on my controllers, from putting in and taking out my headphones. They're plug type, and I keep accidentally touching the bit that goes in your ears. Probably from putting them in with the headset on.

Anyone know a good way to clean it off? Besides being gross it's starting to interfere with the Vive's touchpad.

Hadlock posted:

Get the Deluxe Audio Strap.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Don't actually do the first thing, that actually shoves it further into your ear.

Get a hydrogen peroxide ear cleaning kit. Can't tell you how many idiots I've had stroll into the ER with epic fucktons of wax mashed into their ears.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Just let the water get in your ears in the shower. You don’t need to q-tip it or anything, just rinse the poo poo out. It’s good to have some wax in there, but not so much that it’s overflowing into your electronic equipment.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I didn't mean for cleaning out my ears, I meant for cleaning the earwax off my controllers :/

Has anyone else had this problem? Are there any solvents that would be good?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hyperlynx posted:

I didn't mean for cleaning out my ears, I meant for cleaning the earwax off my controllers :/

Has anyone else had this problem? Are there any solvents that would be good?

As I said, hydrogen peroxide, just dilute it and keep it the gently caress out of any ports because it will destroy anything electronic it touches. Just get a slightly damp cloth and wipe them.

Incidentally, it also works for blood. :smugmrgw:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Fuzz posted:

As I said, hydrogen peroxide, just dilute it and keep it the gently caress out of any ports because it will destroy anything electronic it touches. Just get a slightly damp cloth and wipe them.

Incidentally, it also works for blood. :smugmrgw:

Oh, right. Cheers, I'll try that.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Fuzz posted:

Had a nice long run in my new Oculus last night... definitely considering a third sensor.

Anyone else with an Oculus: what do you guys do to reduce the lens flare/glare with high contrast stuff? I can usually position it fine to not have to worry, but sometimes I'll still get it, particularly in Skyrim at night. I'm told that changing out the facemask is a big step in the right direction, though all of those solutions work on the premise that your eyes are closer to the lens and thus there's less aberration from the curvature. Problem with that, for me at least, is that my eyelashes already are dangerously closely to slapping up against the lenses when I blink, even with the stock mask and the Rift on pretty snuggly (I have big eyes and pretty long eyelashes for a dude. No I'm not going to cut them). I don't think getting my face closer will be the greatest idea, but might work... any other good solutions?

Also the Debug Tool Supersampling trick is drat nice. Sadly, even with my 8700k overclocked to 5gigs, my regular GTX 1070 isn't up to snuff to render Skyrim with all the lighting and flora mods active without some pretty heavy frame drops. Sad. :smith:

Sadly the rays won't go away, that's just the way it is. Fortunately i only really notice them with bright white text on dark.

Getting a 2k or 4k texture pack and all the realistic overhaul mods and tweaking the ini on vr is going to make it look way better than turning on supersampling.

Man, i need to get back into skyrim.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:siren: New Samsung Odyssey+ is out :siren:

https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/hmd/hmd-plus-xe800zba-hc1/XE800ZBA-HC1HK/
  • Lower weight
  • Integrated BT receiver
  • Bigger nose hole for us Romans/Jews/Greek/Armenians
  • New Anti-SDE screen*
* Samsung’s exclusive AMOLED technology applies a grid pattern structure to devices’ top-layer panels, reducing the distance between pixels by almost 50%.
** The actual resolution of the Anti-SDE Dual AMOLED display is 616PPI. SDE-Free Structure technology lets users perceive a resolution level of 1,233PPI.

Mostly these are small comfort improvements but I'm really curious what's the deal with the screen, even with the clarification it's not completely obvious if they just put some micro-lenses (or vaseline) on top or changed to an RGB-stripe subpixel layout, which woud've been a huge improvement in actual and perceived sub-pixel resolution (note that they talk about PPI only). SDE hasn't really bothered me as much with my Odyssey as their weird Diamond layout.

Also would've been great if they went to a Type-C but it's a pretty nice update nevertheless, now it just depends on how much better the screen really is and how much it'll cost.

Tom Guycot posted:

In big screen, there should be a bedroom environment that has the screen on the ceiling.
Thanks, that was still a bit awkward to set up but I got it all aligned in the end. Works pretty well but you really feel the need for a wider sweetspot.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 22, 2018

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They need to fix the loving controllers.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What do they want them to fix? Other than adding a few more cameras to the headset.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mobby_6kl posted:

What do they want them to fix? Other than adding a few more cameras to the headset.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a round of WMR Headset revisions in the next year cribbing off the Oculus Quest's four-corner layout.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
An external cam or two might help right? Shouldn't be too hardware-expensive?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
External like a webcam/Rift solution? I'm sure it could help and even wondered if it's possible to hack something together using an existing regular webcam, but there's no way MS/OEMs would go that way if they wanted to improve tracking. Adding two more cameras to the top corners would definitely be the way to go to improve the FOV, it's not like it's some kind of genius Oculus innovation :)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

mobby_6kl posted:

The batteries drain really fast and the touchpad/stick/triggers/handle are all an ergonomic nightmare.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
The WMR controllers are just standardized across all headsets by MS, aren't they? So presumably when they - or some third party - come out with a new controller design it will work with any of those headsets; it's not specifically a part Samsung has to improve themselves.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Had some friends over and played Creed and Beat Saber for many hours over the weekend. I can barely lift my arms today, shoulders are killing me!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

NRVNQSR posted:

The WMR controllers are just standardized across all headsets by MS, aren't they? So presumably when they - or some third party - come out with a new controller design it will work with any of those headsets; it's not specifically a part Samsung has to improve themselves.
Samsung already improved them a bit over the other WMR controllers:

With rechargeable IKEA Laddas they last forever even though MR Portal / Steam indicate they're low due to lower NiMh voltage. Ergonomically they certainly could be better but I guess Samsung already changed enough that I don't mind them too much :shrug:

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

:siren: New Samsung Odyssey+ is out :siren:

https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/hmd/hmd-plus-xe800zba-hc1/XE800ZBA-HC1HK/
  • Lower weight
  • Integrated BT receiver
  • Bigger nose hole for us Romans/Jews/Greek/Armenians
  • New Anti-SDE screen*

Integrated BT receiver is a huge deal. Getting Bluetooth working for the controllers has been a giant pain in the rear end, I think this should have been standard from day one. This is a substantial improvement (weight reduction, anti-sde screen, and built-in Bluetooth).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
No price is listed, so is it actually out? I'm betting it's going to be $499.

Tempted to pick one up...