Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Stairs posted:

I'm from Montgomery Alabama so let me just say:
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA
The hotel cop was pretty spot on, but Rosa's accent (especially how she said "work") was just awful. And the dude at the beginning was Peri saying "ky-ster" instead of "kee-ster" in ...Ish levels of bad.

Really? I thought the hotel cop was pretty bad, not everyone in Alabama sounds like Foghorn Leghorn. British actors actually have an easier time with a Southern accent if they have a good vocal coach, Southern is just British slowed way down, mostly. Slappin' Dude didn't bother my ears nearly as bad as Hotel Cop did, I could hear Cop trying too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I'm gonna be honest, that guy looked and sounded like Justin McElroy doing a bit.

God yes, he looked so much like him it totally threw me out of the scene.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The episode wasn't perfect but I was pleasantly surprised by it (as pleasant as an episode about racism can be).

I had low expectations for the series in general with Chibnal heading it up but I'm liking the series so far. Hell with modern Who's track record with historical episodes I was expecting a rubber (or CGI) alien farting around Alabama. Possibly literally. Future racist wasn't the greatest villain but it was better than I expected.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wasn't over in the spoiler thread people were thinking the Zygons were going to be in this episode? I am so glad that didn't happen as I enjoyed this episode a lot, even if it was uncomfortable to watch at times.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rirse posted:

Wasn't over in the spoiler thread people were thinking the Zygons were going to be in this episode? I am so glad that didn't happen as I enjoyed this episode a lot, even if it was uncomfortable to watch at times.

It was reported they’d be seen on set while this ep was filming in South Africa. Erroneously, apparently.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

The_Doctor posted:

It was reported they’d be seen on set while this ep was filming in South Africa. Erroneously, apparently.

I think it was while they were filming episode 2 - the robo-guards got mistaken for Zygons I think.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Stairs posted:

I really like how the only members of the crew that directly interacted with Rosa for any extended time or had a strong influence on her were POC. That was really cool to me.

I don't like that any of them interacted or interfered at all.
It feels like a cynical and cheap attempt to again prove how progressive this new season is. Are we going to have this in every episode?
Cant we just have a nice monster or abandoned space station for a bit?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's not so far fetched that a proud boy in the future with access to time travel whose first response would be to change history

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

marktheando posted:

Yank viewers- how were the accents?

To a northerner, they ranged from not completely terrible (but still not correct) to really appalling.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

fist4jesus posted:

I don't like that any of them interacted or interfered at all.
It feels like a cynical and cheap attempt to again prove how progressive this new season is. Are we going to have this in every episode?
Cant we just have a nice monster or abandoned space station for a bit?

if you think a bog-standard retelling of the Rosa Parks story is "progressive virtue signalling" you might have a better time over at another forum. like stormfront, for example.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 22, 2018

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

if you think a bog-standard retelling of the Rosa Parks story is "progressive virtue signalling" you might have a better time over at another forum.

I think riding on her coattails so to speak is kinda gross.
She did what she did without time traveling aliens help or interference.

I think using her story, right after doing the gender change and mixed race companions, was very deliberate and cynical.
I'd like to see this doctor and crew prove themselves without relying on someone like Rosa as a crutch.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

fist4jesus posted:

I think using her story, right after doing the gender change and mixed race companions, was very deliberate and cynical.
I'd like to see this doctor and crew prove themselves without relying on someone like Rosa as a crutch.

What is controversial about the gender change? What mixed race companions are you talking about, and why is that a problem for you?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I think it was a good idea to do an episode set in the Jim Crow south, but actually having the plot be making sure Rosa Parks catches her bus is a stupid idea.

I guess Chibnall is continuing the RTD and Moffat trend of making historicals mostly about having famous characters as guest stars.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

marktheando posted:

I think it was a good idea to do an episode set in the Jim Crow south, but actually having the plot be making sure Rosa Parks catches her bus is a stupid idea.

I guess Chibnall is continuing the RTD and Moffat trend of making historicals mostly about having famous characters as guest stars.

I agree with the premise of your argument but I was surprised that they didn't face-plant it. My only problem was the omission of the Claudette Colvin / E.D. Nixon / Montgomery NAACP parts of the story. Admittedly, everyone omits that bit in favor of the mythologized version, but it makes it look like Rosa Parks was an uninvolved bystander who unwittingly sparked a revolution, which just isn't true. She was way more badass than that.

I don't know how they could have fit that into the plot, but I wish they'd tried.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

fist4jesus posted:

Huh...yeah it is weird that Rosa is the only episode of the season, and there aren't 9 other stories (plus a Christmas special) for them to explore other situations and characters.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I agree with the premise of your argument but I was surprised that they didn't face-plant it. My only problem was the omission of the Claudette Colvin / E.D. Nixon / Montgomery NAACP parts of the story. Admittedly, everyone omits that bit in favor of the mythologized version, but it makes it look like Rosa Parks was an uninvolved bystander who unwittingly sparked a revolution, which just isn't true. She was way more badass than that.

I don't know how they could have fit that into the plot, but I wish they'd tried.

Guess Chibnall is also continuing the kind of lazy “print the legend” approach to historicals we saw with RTD and Moffat.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the last episode before this one was about a space race on a desert world where the water is made of death and people are going "WHERE ARE MY SPACE ADVENTURES?" Seriously?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nodosaur posted:

the last episode before this one was about a space race on a desert world where the water is made of death and people are going "WHERE ARE MY SPACE ADVENTURES?" Seriously?

Just ignore people who complain about that kind of thing. They've just decided that it's terrible and that they don't like it. If it were clearly space adventures, then we'd have them complaining about the lack of historicals.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nodosaur posted:

Considering the guy who posted that had that as his first post in the thread and a rap sheet with multiple probations/bans for racism, it's almost like he's posting in bad faith or something.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Wylie posted:

Really? I thought the hotel cop was pretty bad, not everyone in Alabama sounds like Foghorn Leghorn. British actors actually have an easier time with a Southern accent if they have a good vocal coach, Southern is just British slowed way down, mostly. Slappin' Dude didn't bother my ears nearly as bad as Hotel Cop did, I could hear Cop trying too hard.

That's exactly why I liked it! Old southern guys like that get reeeeeeeal southern when they start talking to a British person. I'm sure that wasn't what the actor was going for but half the old men in Alabama suddenly got pretty drat Cuntree talking to my husband when he came over from Wales.
It was like "Um, you don't have to turn into Deliverance Uncle Joey."

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I still think that Krasko isn’t human, and his sneering statement about “you people getting above yourselves” wasn’t about PoC, but humans as a whole.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I think that's likely too. Like humanity having the Civil Rights movement was the first step toward future humanity moving toward the stars. For all we know he was going to go gently caress up Women's Lib after he was done in 1955.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Yvonmukluk posted:

Considering the guy who posted that had that as his first post in the thread and a rap sheet with multiple probations/bans for racism, it's almost like he's posting in bad faith or something.

Since you feel the need to look at post history. Dig deeper and see what I actually said.
For the record. If the new doctor was in a wheelchair and two episodes in it was a Stephen Hawking episode I'd still be complaining along similar lines.

Let the lady doc prove herself on her own merits. Same as missy, who was badass.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

fist4jesus posted:

Let the lady doc prove herself on her own merits.

You mean.....like she did in two other episodes this season? And 7 more to come?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They cast David Tennant, a scottish actor, and one of his earliest episodes is one set in Scotland. How much more do we have to endure this forced pandering? Why can't Tennant prove himself as The Doctor doing a proper Brit's accent before they give him a reason to use his natural speaking voice?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

fist4jesus posted:

Since you feel the need to look at post history. Dig deeper and see what I actually said.

Okay...

apparently fist4jesus is not an ironic username posted:

I think the real problem with these games is that the crys for help and such, while satisfying are in some chink language or chicken scratch.

It was 1998 I think, no cash, Jewish bosses...basically they hired me as a trainee, with no training, put me incharge of the department, and then fired me two months later when their usual tech came back from leave. Assholes.

God. I got more in common with these gooks than I do with my own spoiled-rotten family.

should I keep going or do you wanna keep pretending you're not literally mel gibson

edit: sorry that's not fair, mel gibson is clearly talented at something

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

jivjov posted:

You mean.....like she did in two other episodes this season? And 7 more to come?

Both fairly flawed episodes. Are you interested in examples of why?
A easy one would be utterly giving up at the end of the desert one which is very much out of character.
Or in the pilot the problems with pacing and score. For example the aborted speech with the teleport out didn't work.

Whatever though. I don't think we are going to agree either way.
I want to like it, I've watched almost every episode apart from some of the very early stuff and in my opinion this season is off to a rough start.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

fist4jesus posted:

Rose and Micky lol

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Why even watch science fiction in the first place if you don't want to be exposed to *shudder* "progressive ideals"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

fist4jesus posted:

this season is off to a rough start.

So sorry that lady doctors and mixed race companions are harming your enjoyment of the show so much.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Okay...
should I keep going or do you wanna keep pretending you're not literally mel gibson

Well the third one is a direct quote from Gran Torino in a thread where we were talking about the movie.

The other two..8 & 9 years ago? Dunno what the context was.
Its cool guys. You win. I'm a monster. Leaving you to your thread, never wanted to derail it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

navyjack posted:

I still think that Krasko isn’t human, and his sneering statement about “you people getting above yourselves” wasn’t about PoC, but humans as a whole.

That would have been a super interesting angle if they explored it, but they didn't, so I dunno about that. It seems like too easy an "out" for the subject at hand without actually writing it in.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

To be fair, they included Emmett Till and touched on the NAACP part by showing Rosa in a meeting at her house with her husband, Fred Gray, and Martin Luther King Jr. Fred Gray was an attorney for Colvin (Thanks, Wikipedia). It's subtle, but I'm not sure much more was needed. Doctor Who is not the appropriate forum for setting the record straight on how the American Civil Rights Movement started.

They're trying to tell a sci-fi story too, so you want the background story (Rosa Parks) to be tight and concise so that the viewer can follow the main story (time-travelling dude trying to subtly change history).

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

marktheando posted:

Guess Chibnall is also continuing the kind of lazy “print the legend” approach to historicals we saw with RTD and Moffat.

Yeah, I just don't like the modern era who historicals, largely for this reason. This one was better than most, but meh. Not a terrible episode by any stretch, I just don't like "light history".

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Slowpoke! posted:

To be fair, they included Emmett Till and touched on the NAACP part by showing Rosa in a meeting at her house with her husband, Fred Gray, and Martin Luther King Jr. Fred Gray was an attorney for Colvin (Thanks, Wikipedia). It's subtle, but I'm not sure much more was needed. Doctor Who is not the appropriate forum for setting the record straight on how the American Civil Rights Movement started.

They're trying to tell a sci-fi story too, so you want the background story (Rosa Parks) to be tight and concise so that the viewer can follow the main story (time-travelling dude trying to subtly change history).

They went further than most do, and I thought the opening scene with the bus driver was a nice touch, although it happened 12 years prior to the event in actuality. I think they did the best possible job, really, I just don't think the format allowed them to do justice to the story.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

They went further than most do, and I thought the opening scene with the bus driver was a nice touch, although it happened 12 years prior to the event in actuality.
There was a title card that placed that scene in 1943.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

howe_sam posted:

There was a title card that placed that scene in 1943.

well slap my face and call me sheila I dunno how I missed that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

well slap my face and call me sheila I dunno how I missed that.

You'll fit right in with all the "Why didn't they show us the three suns!" people from last week

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was 100% better than expected and thank CHRIST they didn't fumble that ball. While I had a few issues I think the handling of racism was exceptionally well done. And drat, so well shot.

And also piss off everyone who says we can't refer to the actors by their first names!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rhyno posted:

And also piss off everyone who says we can't refer to the actors by their first names!

Not to disagree with your point; but I have noticed a general tendency to do that more often with female actors than male ones. I don't remember if it was a tweet or an article or something, but I read somewhere that that can be perceived as more dismissive or overly familiar, whereas sticking with surnames for male actors shows more respect.

Its an interesting dynamic