Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

crazypeltast52 posted:

Control f “Lustig” in this finds a few things, sounds like a bit of a bucket shop even before whatever the current indictment has. There’s some BWM in there about James Lustig’s wife, who was some kind of heiress and ends up with this situation.

https://books.google.com/books?id=N...0denver&f=false

Wash trading is short term gwm, long term bwm because of who you're loving over. Screw retirees over with risky trading, nobody really cares. Screw other rich as hell fucks over by cheating more blatantly? Yeah they'll have the SEC pound your rear end for everything you own and then some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Wash trading is short term gwm, long term bwm because of who you're loving over. Screw retirees over with risky trading, nobody really cares. Screw other rich as hell fucks over by cheating more blatantly? Yeah they'll have the SEC pound your rear end for everything you own and then some.

I can’t copy-paste out of the google books, but that book is from 2010 or something and includes a passage about Lustig’s father in-law pivoting to real estate in 1988 after selling the sporting goods chain founded by his father. Specifically developing stores for “fast growing retail chains like Blockbuster, Office Depot and Boston Chicken.”

A good time to be doing that then, but that passage doesn’t age well in TYOOL 2018.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

Nope, that's just what I recall from when I still had pacer access. If I knew where to find the complaint without needing pacer I'd be linking directly to it :shrug:

PACER access is public and anyone with an email address and credit card can get it just FYI.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Time for a Bat With Money lottery pool where I collect all the money and buy a horse.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I commend all of the GWM patriots here who have never purchased a lottery ticket and also presumably have never wasted money by stepping in to a starbucks.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm writing a check to pay for my 1000 lottery tickets with my luxury fountain pen filled with brand-name luxury ink right now

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

PACER access is public and anyone with an email address and credit card can get it just FYI.

Having an employer pay that bill is gwm

Jan 11, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

Having an employer pay that bill is gwm

If you retrieve less than 150 pages per calendar quarter it is waived. So I guess unless your hobby is reviewing federal court filings outside of work you are probably good.

Jan 11, 2004

please knock Mom! posted:

I'm writing a check to pay for my 1000 lottery tickets with my luxury fountain pen filled with brand-name luxury ink right now

Which ink are you.... Cause this won't.... *struggling to smoothly and evenly write check while riding horse to nearest lottery ticket seller*

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If you retrieve less than 150 pages per calendar quarter it is waived. So I guess unless your hobby is reviewing federal court filings outside of work you are probably good.

they are saying my account needs additional review but thanks for pointing out that they waive it for stuff under $15 per quarter

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqds13u9xm14ofa/1-main.pdf?dl=0

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 22, 2018

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
jfc

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/oct/22/25000-credit-card-debt-will-i-get-mortgage

I have £25,000 in credit card debt – can I get a mortgage? posted:

I am 47 and on a good annual income of £45,000, but owe £25,000 in credit card debt, which is nearly 90% of my available credit. My wife is 37 and has a lower income of £22,000, but no debt and an excellent credit score. We are desperate to buy our first home and have saved around £16,000 to put towards the deposit.

With my high level of credit card debt – but no missed payments – is it likely that I will be approved for a mortgage on my own? I have got agreements in principle, but feel that when a full application is made, horrible questions will be asked about my nine, mostly maxed-out credit cards and that I will be rejected. I want to avoid a joint mortgage if possible as I don’t want my wife’s credit score being negatively affected by mine.

no bubble you're the bubble

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I like reading stories about people whose life goes to poo poo after winning the lottery, but now I want to read stories about the people who spend all their money and win nothing. Like the guy with the 1600 tickets...does he regret playing the lottery or does he regret not waiting now that the jackpot is twice as large? Do these people who crash and burn go and do this again the next time there's a record jackpot?

A few years back a couple of guys drove to another state and got a wheelbarrow full of lottery tickets. Like $30k worth. I want to know what they're spending this year. That kind of optimism dies hard.

The worst part is, they're probably spending in excess of £1k a month in credit card payments. If he paid down his cards he'd probably be back up to £16k in deposit money within 2 years but with no debt.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 22, 2018

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
That's what really confuses me about stories like that. Why would you maintain a large bank deposit that you could use to immediately eliminate most of your expensive credit card debt? Are you that impatient to buy a house you can't afford?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Enchanted Hat posted:

That's what really confuses me about stories like that. Why would you maintain a large bank deposit that you could use to immediately eliminate most of your expensive credit card debt? Are you that impatient to buy a house you can't afford?
People are bad with math. I had an ex who after sitting down with her while we were dating and figuring out a budget, I found out she had unpaid student loans that were significantly below her ample savings. She had like $12k in her savings account and $4k worth of student loans left. When I pointed out she could just kill her student loans, she got really nervous about losing some of her savings balance. I did finally convince her to axe the whole thing. Before anybody asks, her interest rate was not that low. It was like 5-6%. People care more about the amount of capital they have more than they care about the impact of interest rates (because one is immediately clear and obvious and the other requires long-term planning).

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I want to buy a lottery ticket, but I don't even know how. Do I have to pick out numbers or do they come on the ticket? What do I ask for? Help me BWM!

If I win the plan is to buy the Washington Redskins and rename them the Washington Nikos after my cat.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
If you want the system to give you random numbers just ask for a Quick Pick, if you want to pick your own then just tell the guy.

Also don't buy lottery tickets.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
You fill out a scantron sheet for the "pick your own" numbers, which the store employees loathe doing. If you're the only person in the store, they'll do it. If there's a line, they'll say the machine broke and you must buy random numbers.

Sock The Great posted:

Also don't buy lottery tickets.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

FAUXTON posted:

they are saying my account needs additional review but thanks for pointing out that they waive it for stuff under $15 per quarter

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqds13u9xm14ofa/1-main.pdf?dl=0

The message you posted doesn't say or suggest anything about further review. It just says you already have an account and should use that one instead of creating a new one. Reason they want unique accounts is to track access to it and assess fees as necessary.

Jan 11, 2004

Hoodwinker posted:

People are bad with math. I had an ex who after sitting down with her while we were dating and figuring out a budget, I found out she had unpaid student loans that were significantly below her ample savings. She had like $12k in her savings account and $4k worth of student loans left. When I pointed out she could just kill her student loans, she got really nervous about losing some of her savings balance. I did finally convince her to axe the whole thing. Before anybody asks, her interest rate was not that low. It was like 5-6%. People care more about the amount of capital they have more than they care about the impact of interest rates (because one is immediately clear and obvious and the other requires long-term planning).

That's possibly a bad example because cutting your savings from $12,000 to $8,000 might be the difference between having say 4 months of emergency fund expenses in hand and less than 3, which some people are understandably uncomfortable with depending upon the security of their employment or the general risk of uncertain expenses in their lives. Many people would pay $20 a month (the interest on $4,000 at 6%) for that extra peace of mind, and there are a lot of moving parts and factors of personal utility in that decision even if it is a strictly better accounting decision to pay off the debt immediately.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

That's possibly a bad example because cutting your savings from $12,000 to $8,000 might be the difference between having say 4 months of emergency fund expenses in hand and less than 3, which some people are understandably uncomfortable with depending upon the security of their employment or the general risk of uncertain expenses in their lives. Many people would pay $20 a month (the interest on $4,000 at 6%) for that extra peace of mind, and there are a lot of moving parts and factors of personal utility in that decision even if it is a strictly better accounting decision to pay off the debt immediately.
I should have clarified but it was more than 6 months of expenses for her. It was a no brainer for her to pay it off. We were living together and if worst came to worst I would have been in a position to help her with cashflow. I believe talking about cashflow was part of why I even knew about it in the first place. She was making minimum payments otherwise too so it's not like it would have been her paying it off in the next 6 months. I didn't mention the example because it was the most horrendous one, but just to show that people can often be in a position where the mathematically superior alternative is clearly available and they won't take it because they're afraid of having less money in their bank account. It's a perceived risk sort of thing.

You're absolutely right that there are positions where people could be in where it wouldn't make sense to make a payoff like that. This was not that.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Or you could just open a line of credit

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I like reading stories about people whose life goes to poo poo after winning the lottery, but now I want to read stories about the people who spend all their money and win nothing. Like the guy with the 1600 tickets...does he regret playing the lottery or does he regret not waiting now that the jackpot is twice as large? Do these people who crash and burn go and do this again the next time there's a record jackpot?

A few years back a couple of guys drove to another state and got a wheelbarrow full of lottery tickets. Like $30k worth. I want to know what they're spending this year. That kind of optimism dies hard.

The worst part is, they're probably spending in excess of £1k a month in credit card payments. If he paid down his cards he'd probably be back up to £16k in deposit money within 2 years but with no debt.

It's depressingly common, to the point where you could just hang out at a corner store and come back with a few stories yourself.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I was inside a Jeep dealership the other day and overhearing people talking about $500 monthly payments on a 5 year loan was painful. Dealerships are so scummy.

Jan 11, 2004

BMan posted:

Or you could just open a line of credit

Not everybody has enough credit to survive for multiple months charging everything to credit cards, and a lot of important living expenses, particularly rent, mortgage, car payments, and utility bills cannot easily or inexpensively be paid with credit cards. Yes I am aware that there are services that exist for this purpose but probably you should have a more conservative financial emergency plan than charge everything to credit cards if you suddenly lose your job or get injured or experience a catastrophic expense. Just my opinion. At present I am uncomfortable with less than four months of expenses in cash in my checking/savings and prefer to have six.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A line of credit is different from a credit card. You can transfer it directly into your chequing account and spend from there.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

They also tend to have much more favourable rates than credit cards, with the caveat they accrue interest from the moment you withdraw any amount from the account and don't have an interest free period like credit cards.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Raldikuk posted:

The message you posted doesn't say or suggest anything about further review. It just says you already have an account and should use that one instead of creating a new one. Reason they want unique accounts is to track access to it and assess fees as necessary.

That's what I did, the review finished up within an hour and I posted the complaint via a Dropbox link in that post.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Also keeping cash in your savings as an emergency fund is completely different from the bonehead with 16k saved for a house and 25k in credit card debt.

The guy's already maxing out his cards and now he wants to buy a home which WILL have an appliance or plumbing crisis within the first year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I was inside a Jeep dealership the other day and overhearing people talking about $500 monthly payments on a 5 year loan was painful. Dealerships are so scummy.

haha you sweet, sweet lil baby

60 month terms are short these days

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

There can be exceptions but in general it's boneheaded. She should have paid off the 6% loan. The real reason people don't do this is because they don't just turn around and start socking away the money they freed up (in principle+interest payments) to rebuild savings, instead they find new ways to spend it. Then they end up right back in debt, now with less savings.

The dude with 25K in CC debt and 16k in savings is probably a better example of this. He could retire almost 2/3rds of his debt, put the monthly savings towards quickly retiring the rest, and be in great shape in a few years or less, but no, gotta have that house right now. Also that 16k sounds like it is combined savings between his wife and him and I don't have to guess who contributed most of it.

Mostly, though, his 25k of CC debt, spread across "9, mostly maxed out credit cards" speaks to the real problem, which is he doesn't have a working budget and the only thing keeping him from spending even more than he is now is he's at the limit the banks will give him. With their combined income they wouldn't exactly be living in poverty, as expensive as parts of the UK can be, so he's probably just a BWM moron.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 22, 2018

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

OctaviusBeaver posted:

At a decent interest rate (~2%) that's only about a $28k loan principal. For a brand new car that's really not unusual or outrageous.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Guinness posted:

At a decent interest rate (~2%) that's only about a $28k loan principal. For a brand new car that's really not unusual or outrageous.

Yeah what is with multiple people in this thread straight up not understanding how much these things cost? If you're okay with buying $3,000 cars for the rest of your life then yep this is going to seem like a lot of money (which it is), but a ton of people go a different route and it's not inherently inadvisable IMHO.

A $500 new car payment is less than the average, and the average loan duration is greater than 5 years.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
With cars, there's a price/quality sweet spot, so no matter how much income you have, it's BWM to pay over a certain price point.

Weddings and restaurants work the same way.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Something Offal posted:

Yeah what is with multiple people in this thread straight up not understanding how much these things cost? If you're okay with buying $3,000 cars for the rest of your life then yep this is going to seem like a lot of money (which it is), but a ton of people go a different route and it's not inherently inadvisable IMHO.

A $500 new car payment is less than the average, and the average loan duration is greater than 5 years.

Also, it's a Jeep dealership and I dare you to get out of there for less than $40k.

This thread can be so weird about some things.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also, it's a Jeep dealership and I dare you to get out of there for less than $40k.

This thread can be so weird about some things.

Maybe some posters don't own cars or have only driven beaters. Cars made in the modern era are totally amazing to drive compared to just 10 years ago, it can be a significant quality of life increase if you care about that sort of thing. I'm a car nerd though. The only Jeeps worth owning are a Wrangler or Grand Cherokee and those will beat up your wallet above the poverty spec trims.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

With cars, there's a price/quality sweet spot, so no matter how much income you have, it's BWM to pay over a certain price point.

Weddings and restaurants work the same way.

This is a good point.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 22, 2018

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

That seems pretty standard for a SUV. Need some more details to make it BWM.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9qesdi/very_messy_debt_situation_need_advice/

Very messy debt situation, need advice (self.personalfinance)

submitted 7 hours ago * by kendallb183

I will spare you guys the very crazy story of what got me to this place, but here I am. I am hoping you guys can steer me in the right direction with ideas that I haven't thought of myself.

Income: 2x a month $2810 actual deposit to my bank. I'm attempting to rent my rooms out in my house for $450 each, unsuccessfully so far. My ex is suppose to pay me $200 a month but doesn't.

Currently my debt is the following, I have a few credit cards at very low interest rates due to SCRA benefits (military):

USAA personal loan $8628 @ 12.45% -- 297 Monthly payment

Dell $1128 @ 25%, $35 Monthly payment

Chase Prime $7725 @ 23.99%, $217 Monthly

Chase Freedom $6418 @ 4%, $87 Monthly

Chase Unlimited $7062 @ 10.74, $137 Monthly

Discover $6867 @ 4%, $138 Monthly

Andrews FCU 26450 @ 15%, 556 Monthly

USAA CC $2279 @ 4%, 31 Monthly

Student loan $44157 @ 5.5%, 118 Monthly

Expenses:

$1070 Mortgage

$700 food (food, beer, eating out, anything like that)

$70 water

$20 Gym

$300 Geico

$45 pet insurance

$150 power

$50 Cable

$188 Cell Phone

$15 Spotify

$75 natural gas

$1350 car payment

$200 Gasoline

$1000 misc expenses

I am suing GM for my car, it will be turned in this week. I will walk away with no negative equity, and also no vehicle.

1st question, what is my best option for getting a replacement vehicle? I've been approved for up to $31k @ 6.99%

2nd question, how can I get out of debt? I have NEVER been late or missed a payment on anything ever. I do however have a lot of inquiries, and my DTI isn't so hot. My credit score is 590-620 depending on who you pull. I've attemptd to try and apply for good debt transfer credit cards but I'm denied every time. Also denied by all the lending tree loans and stuff too.

Any suggestions to become debt free?

EDIT: Will look to reduce cell cost to around $50 Aiming to get a $5-8k used vehicle Going to try meal prepping to reduce food cost Will reduce misc cost way down and use half of the reduction to build emergency fund and the other half to go toward debt too. Reduce credit cards first, hopefully refinance the other stuff once my credit is repaired from the efforts

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Just pretend I bolded the whole thing

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking