Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Don't worry, there was an epilogue that smoothed things over and totally wasn't the author losing his nerve & trying to walk back the magazine ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Anybody who gets angry about harem poo poo needs to re-evaluate the choices they made that brought them to that point in their life.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Double Punctuation posted:

Anybody who gets angry about harem poo poo needs to re-evaluate the choices they made that brought them to that point in their life.

i agree, getting invested in stories is for bastards

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

i agree, getting invested in stories is for bastards

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I don't even get invested in my own life story

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
"these people need to reevaluate their life choices" i say posting on the somethingawful forums in 2018

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I was genuinely pretty interested in Hoshino when the author introduced the really slutty girl and didn't present her as being WRONG or anything, since it was really unexpected, but man.

It's like the writer went through a bad breakup.

DoubleDonut posted:

I don't even get invested in my own life story

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

jokes on you i dont make life choices

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

jokes on you i dont make life choices
failing to make a choice is in itself a choice

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gently caress!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

failing to make a choice is in itself a choice

slow down there Neil Peart

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Rk2OFddZs

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

:hai:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wish to be as good and confident a person as that dog. Instead, I lose repeatedly at Soul Calibur while drinking and now my thumb hurts.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 22, 2018

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Eela6 posted:

slow down there Neil Peart

Lol Ty for that

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Says the woman who shops exclusively at the extremely tight pants and skirts store.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

chumbler posted:

Says the woman who shops exclusively at the extremely tight pants and skirts store.

yeah, whaddaya want with me?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/llfutonll/status/1053972176083144705

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Scary! But cute all the same! :kimchi:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FassbenderSayingPerfection.gif

Also me irl, but with audiobooks

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 22, 2018

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/13033303/status/1054270924516519936
Nice!

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

:ghost::hf::kimchi:

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
im the stand that does nothing but drink coffee

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/asteroid_ill/status/1033292229299789824
neat fake game

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Do you guys think anime has a worse track record than other mediums for disappointing endings? Cause I can think of so many anime I watched that didn't stick the landing after starting out strong, but I don't know if that's just bias from media consumption habits. And of course it's all subjective. I'm wondering if it could be from the elaborate premise a lot of shows start with that then runs into issues with production schedule issues, or because its an adaption that outpaces its source, or just cause writing endings is generally difficult.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

DoubleDonut posted:

seafood cake comes just like the riddle

yuugh

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The seafood cake, Id never say yuugh to yakumosan

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Ccs posted:

Do you guys think anime has a worse track record than other mediums for disappointing endings? Cause I can think of so many anime I watched that didn't stick the landing after starting out strong, but I don't know if that's just bias from media consumption habits. And of course it's all subjective. I'm wondering if it could be from the elaborate premise a lot of shows start with that then runs into issues with production schedule issues, or because its an adaption that outpaces its source, or just cause writing endings is generally difficult.
I don't think so? Not counting incomplete adaptations, which is quite a few.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ccs posted:

The structure by which anime is produced does provide the biggest risk of an ending not coming together due to a myriad of factors,

BUT

considering the overwhelming amount of books and movies that are produced, and the fact that, unlike with anime, where people might reccomend it early on where it goes bad later, a movie can be seen in a couple of hours, and a book read in a day or a few, so they'll know more likely than not to reccomend those with bad endings, it's fair to say every medium has a ton of flops with crappy endings. I'd probably say literature is the most likely to leave you hanging.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Ccs posted:

I'm not clever or well-read enough to diagnose this, but I have noticed that when anime shows have crappy endings they tend to play out in this particular fashion which I'm having trouble defining.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I *would* be interested if there's any way the typical anime production model does tend to produce shows that are in some narrative sense unfinished.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Ccs posted:

I would say so. Unlike most US television series, it’s rarer for anime producers to know that they’re getting another season ahead of time, and the fact that so much of it is adapted from manga (where the writing won’t necessarily track to 13 or 25 episode chunks and you’re nevertheless expected to be faithful to the source material in a way US audiences don’t require) makes it harder to end well.

Though I suppose there’s no statistical way to measure this and it’s just confirmation bias on my part because I remember a lot of lackluster endings.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i suppose if you compare lackluster anime endings to us tv which...never ends, there is a discrepancy there. but the former has a better track record of respecting your time, since they actually bother to wrap up at all.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Im sad this one isnt animated.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ccs posted:

Do you guys think anime has a worse track record than other mediums for disappointing endings?

Nothing will beat video games. Bottom of the barrel tier writing or just "Thank you for playing!" *need to reset console to play again*

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Nothing will beat video games. Bottom of the barrel tier writing or just "Thank you for playing!" *need to reset console to play again*

also in video games the ending will often get less work than the opening because fewer people will see it