Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Scale75 give a gorgeous matte finish. I can't say I've noticed them being any harder to work with than any other paint. They are more expensive in the US, unfortunately.

Vallejo metallics are great silvers and dark metals. Vallejo Metal Color is a little fancier and gives an even better tone, and their gold is a lot better than the standard VGC gold. Get the scale75 if you can swing it, but metal color is a good alternative.

If you think you're going to be painting anything mostly black, buy a deep dark grey instead of blending your own. I've never been able to get a consistent base color when I go that dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

MeinPanzer posted:

What's the best place to buy Scale75 metallic paints in the UK? Firestorm Games doesn't seem to carry them

Dark Sphere definitely have them in-store, so they should be mail-orderable too.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

MeinPanzer posted:

What's the best place to buy Scale75 metallic paints in the UK? Firestorm Games doesn't seem to carry them

Element has them in stock: https://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery/paints-washes-etc/scale-75/scale-75-paints

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

tehsid posted:

Been working on my first ork for Kill Team. Never painted an Ork before so C&C would be ace!

Job's a gud un

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Working up this scheme for my steel legion troopers.

I want to add some color in somewhere, red or yellow. Thinking of putting some heraldic patterns on the canteen. Plan to put feathers on the helmets of officers, from the old knights of white wolf fantasy kit.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Skails posted:

I want to add some color in somewhere, red or yellow. Thinking of putting some heraldic patterns on the canteen. Plan to put feathers on the helmets of officers, from the old knights of white wolf fantasy kit.

I like it a lot!

Slowly plugging away at my Escher guard battalion.

As a slow painter to begin with, the time investment for every 4pts model is pretty nuts, but I like where it's going.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Skails posted:

That looks really good. Amazing skull work

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Skails posted:

drat, that's very cool. How do you do those skulls? Those lines are so tiny.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Nearly done! Just pants, highlighting and some more weathering to go!

Skails posted:

These are so god drat cool. I actually love how they look without the dash of colour. I'm not sure its needed. It's very haunting as it is.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Revelation 2-13 posted:

drat, that's very cool. How do you do those skulls? Those lines are so tiny.

A few things help me get a fine line: I'm using a brush with a sharp tip- Windsor Newton Series 7 #1(there are probably better brushes for cheaper), reading glasses +2.5 so I can hold the thing closer to my face and still see it, and a painting handle which I find helps to brace my hands.

Some of the lines are also thinned out by painting a lighter color on both sides of them.
I painted the mask light greyish then did the darker areas between jaws and cheekbones with browns and lightened up black. Some of the texture comes from refining and moving where the bones were. then put spots of white for the teeth. Painting, then painting over it adds to the look too!
I'll do a step by step with pictures when I paint a few more and refine the process.

Skails fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 21, 2018

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I decided to take a break from painting my IG Kill Team and started assembling some Scions for... My IG Kill Team.

I also realized I have a bunch of Empire bits sitting around doing nothing and had an idea

They'll need some green stuff work because the Scion heads have necks and some of these heads have very stylish beards, but it looks like it should work.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I paint space potato...

I've been painting a lot of dudes in furs and shirts lately and just felt like painting something sci-fi and was less than $30 Australian.
I did something different this time to challenge myself and tried glazing. I built his armour up from a middle to dark grey and up to a white, mixed some blue with Vallejo glaze medium and hey, we did it :)
I also tried to keep myself conscious of how thinly i was making and applying my paint, which is probably why the cloak turned up so freakin' well.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
That steel legion dude, I just realized - it reminds me of a cross of romanticism/barbizon/realism type painting, like a grim dark Delacroix,
/David/Millet, and that's very cool.

Bucnasti posted:

Vallejo Game Air and Model Air paints are the same as the Color lines, they're just pre-thinned, so you get less paint overall than the unthinned Color line.

Yeah, if possible I'd suggest regular over airbrush paints - same stuff, but you have a bit of flexibility (use straight for drybrushing, thin/brush on normally, thin with a matte medium/flow improver to airbrush). I think you get "more" paint; I mean for airbrushing all those tanks and other things I haven't posted, I'm only just now replacing a couple bottles.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Skails posted:

They look perfect as they are.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
:perfect:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

What's a good way to shade a lot of sky blue? The blue wash I have has proved far too dark.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

These guys look great with the empire bits.

Thanks for the feedback all.

VolatileSky posted:

That steel legion dude, I just realized - it reminds me of a cross of romanticism/barbizon/realism type painting, like a grim dark Delacroix,
/David/Millet, and that's very cool.

Hey thanks, thats cool stuff. I tried loosening up some from the standard base/highlight/shade scheme I've done before and just paint.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Cat Face Joe posted:

What's a good way to shade a lot of sky blue? The blue wash I have has proved far too dark.

You can soften the shades by mixing them with 1-3 parts of Lahmian medium.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

tehsid posted:

Nearly done! Just pants, highlighting and some more weathering to go!
I know Orks get darker as they get older and bigger, but I'll be damned if a paler skinned Ork doesn't look awesome as hell. Good job!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

What do they call that grid surface in this photo? I see em a lot on hobby tables but I don't know what it's called or why it's so common

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

TheBigAristotle posted:

What do they call that grid surface in this photo? I see em a lot on hobby tables but I don't know what it's called or why it's so common

It's a cutting mat you can get from hobby stores. The lines are for measuring against.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

You can soften the shades by mixing them with 1-3 parts of Lahmian medium.

I have colorless wash base. Would that work similarly?

TheBigAristotle posted:

They're just hobby cutting mats.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

I have colorless wash base. Would that work similarly?
Should be the same stuff.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
The only weird thing about ork paintjobs for me is in every picture I see them painted with flesh colored lips. Shouldn’t they have some varying shade of green? Though I’m assuming it’s following human rules with green blood showing through skin, it’s an alien so who knows.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Their blood isn't green anymore, it's red. I don't care for flesh coloured lips, nose tips, but I like to do like to do their gums and tongue purple.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Badablack posted:

The only weird thing about ork paintjobs for me is in every picture I see them painted with flesh colored lips. Shouldn’t they have some varying shade of green? Though I’m assuming it’s following human rules with green blood showing through skin, it’s an alien so who knows.

It's painted that way because it makes a nice contrast.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The canon explanation is that Ork hide is plant-based, containing chlorophyll, while their blood is iron-based red. Though this is often accompanied by an explanation that it's this way because green-blooded orks look like they've been clumsy with pea soup, rather than actually injured.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

But if you have chlorophyl why do you need iron to carry oxygen around? My immersion :negative:

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Badablack posted:

I never understand this line of thinking unless you are trying to paint recreations. Why be reigned in by pointless details like this when painting stuff that is pure fantasy. Personally, my main objective is to make stuff look cool, not to mimic reality, and not to select colors with bad contrast for the sake of adhering to some fluff that is also fantasy. I'm always wildly bewildered when people "hate exaggerated" color and contrast on miniatures and speak down on it. Everytime I see that stuff on the tabletop its a sea of homogenous units that is less visually interesting than a potato. They'll play deathguard and have an army composed of nothing but baby poop green and dark brownish brass. It doesn't look like anything at all. Zero contrast, zero visual interest, absolute bore to look at. If you want to paint Orks with white skin, loving go for it, fluff be damned. However, I'd recommend not painting their blood and lips white as well, because there would be no contrast and it will look boring.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
It’s probably a subconscious association with seeing Audrey 2 from Little Shop of Horrors as a child. Big pink-lipped plant monster scared the poo poo out of me.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Finished this dude. Sorry for the spam, I hope yall don't mind. I need the feedback! I learnt a stack from this guy though.

1. My linework needs.. Work.
2. Painting built minis can suck the fun out of painting.
3. Slow down. Even though I took my time with this guy, some parts I rushed wanting to finish it. I think that was a mistake and it shows on my weathering.
4. I tried to copy the model on the GW website as best I could and added a few bits I wanted onto it. That was great fun and an interesting challenge.
5. Typhus Corrosion is awesome.

Only 6 or 7 more to go!

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
I finished this guy!
Excoriators 5th Company, 1st Squad
Brother Marine Creon

And thanks to Thanqul for bringing my attention to the eye lenses!

tehsid posted:

Finished this dude. Sorry for the spam, I hope yall don't mind. I need the feedback! I learnt a stack from this guy though.

Only 6 or 7 more to go!

He looks great! Keep doing what you're doing.

Skails fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 23, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

tehsid posted:

2. Painting built minis can suck the fun out of painting.

That really is one thing that I loving hate about GW models. They're all designed with details that are going to be completely obscured by other parts of the model making it nigh impossible to complete when fully assembled.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I've been transferring my paints to dropper bottles with good results, but is it okay to do that with e.g. 'Ardcoat varnish or will that cause problems?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

That really is one thing that I loving hate about GW models. They're all designed with details that are going to be completely obscured by other parts of the model making it nigh impossible to complete when fully assembled.

Which is why I prefer doing it in subassemblies.
Also why I don't really go for auctions with old armies and units. I still have a bunch of stuff I managed to break down but never really gotten off all the paint that I keep putting off to paint and just go for stuff still on sprue or bought in bits.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cooked Auto posted:

Which is why I prefer doing it in subassemblies.
Also why I don't really go for auctions with old armies and units. I still have a bunch of stuff I managed to break down but never really gotten off all the paint that I keep putting off to paint and just go for stuff still on sprue or bought in bits.

I had really good results with brake fluid in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner and a little bit of toothbrush work, but those were just Cadians and Chimerae so not a lot of the modern detailing?

Also wear goggles if you're going to vibrate a container of brake fluid or scrub a figure coated with that.

:byoscience:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Another Darkest Dungeon dude:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
x-posting

richyp posted:

First stage of my Inquisition force is painted up.

Here's the Ordo Xenos Vanguard detachment

Acolyte unit 1, and Inquisitor in Terminator armour

The rest of the guys minus Bill 'not Eldar guy' Tan (he's in the group shot later).

The Deathwatch Patrol detachment

Watch Captain in Primaris armour.

Deathwatch Kill-Team (counts as Veterans)

Sir Breaks'alot.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Skails posted:

I finished this guy!
Brother Marine Creon

That bite mark owns so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Skails posted:

I finished this guy!
Brother Marine Creon

And thanks to Thanqul for bringing my attention to the eye lenses!

He looks great! Keep doing what you're doing.

Fantastic work, and I'll second (third, fourth?) the positive Ork comments.