Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

Rivals are a real pain to deal with and it isn't really worth turning a lover or hunter into one. They can steal explorations from you and just randomly generate notoriety out of thin air when they gun for a hunter along with being an additional way to game-over you. Maybe if snares lasted longer and were 100% it'd be a bit better.

Best to just do away with the hunters by hand instead of trying to reveal lore to them. I'd not bother with romance until you've completely secured your ascension either since you can only gift a follower once and you might screw up and ignore them enough to cause issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is there a way to tell if the Frangiclave mod is installed? Doesn't really say anything in game.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Is there a way to tell if the Frangiclave mod is installed? Doesn't really say anything in game.

It says "Cultist Simulator [M]" on the title instead of just Cultist Simulator.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

If you're not constantly rocking your Heart and Moth cultists to clear your name you don't deserve to be a Long.

Why bother risking cultists when you can summon a legmass? I’ve got restlessness coming out of my loving ears in this build.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Detectives really need more teeth. It's way too easy to just stop doing murders for a few minutes so that they lose everything they ever had on you. And even if you don't it takes them like an hour to get to the point of bringing it to trial, at which point they probably arrest some useless pawn anyway.

There should be some sort of permanent build up you can't touch, like the Bureau building a file on you or something.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

megane posted:

Detectives really need more teeth. It's way too easy to just stop doing murders for a few minutes so that they lose everything they ever had on you. And even if you don't it takes them like an hour to get to the point of bringing it to trial, at which point they probably arrest some useless pawn anyway.

There should be some sort of permanent build up you can't touch, like the Bureau building a file on you or something.

The hunters really should be able to meddle with your expeditions somehow. They're the plucky investigators to your sinister puppet master, they're suppose to get all up in your loving schemes even it's by complete accident. It's like Inspector Gadget if he never actually stopped MAD plots with his bumbling.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

I just had a rival give me a low level influence for free as a gift. First time I've ever seen them interact in a positive way with the player like that.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

How do rivals work anyway? I haven't seen a single one but I also haven't initiated a romance with more than one character. Also that romance never progressed so it stayed at interest forever.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Well your cult isn't exactly a secret given when you send Heart cultists out it says that they're out there talking up your "society" and getting rid of Notoriety and stuff. I mean obviously you're not telling everyone your cult is dedicated to you becoming a god, but it's not a secret that all your peeps get together and do...something.

It does bug me at some level that only one of your minions can be doing a thing at the same time. Like I’ve inducted 21 people into my cult plus assorted hangers on, you’d think I could order them to destroy evidence and get me a god drat coffee at the same time.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Is Detective broken now? Because I start a Detective legacy, but I don't have a person of Suspicion to investigate, just a Pawn. Study never appears to unlock so I cant really do anything. Its just a wasted legacy

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Its about the flow. Cultist simulator doesnt flow very well. Obviously its a game from the creator of fallen london and sunless sea. He has a very good imagination but doesnt know how to make a game.

In a way it reminds me of icepick lodge. St petersburg based studio who have very good ideas but the gameplay is just resource management and running around. Whole thing is held together by gripping story.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i dunno, i like the feel of how everything flows together. it's not perfect but there's a relaxing rhythm to it.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

So, as a dancer, how do I change my ascension focus to Heart instead of Moth?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

dead comedy forums posted:

So, as a dancer, how do I change my ascension focus to Heart instead of Moth?

You know how you're dancing with Passion? You can dance with Health instead.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Yeah, I am doing that. But the color of the card is still sepia-ish/gray that usually goes with Moth?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The Desire card doesn't change between the two.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

The Desire card doesn't change between the two.

Ahhh, many thanks :)

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Wanted to ask is this game beatable the first time without a guide? I’ve made it to the peacock door but I’m having a hard time getting new fragments to work with.

Also my goal is different from my cult which was a screw up on my part.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Does anyone know what lores are needed to Gain Health/Reason/Passion past the 4th level?

I really don't wanna just stick stuff in until something works.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Tenasscity posted:

Does anyone know what lores are needed to Gain Health/Reason/Passion past the 4th level?

Moth will upgrade health and passion, and get you the health skill with any mechanical implications. Reason, I dunno.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tenasscity posted:

I've never had a problem just plugging in the one I'll be using for ascension.

Specifically, for the (only) one where the particular flavor seems to be important now / in the near future, put Moth into your physique.

i don't actually feel like spoiling this because this is could wind up being a Very Annoying Newbie Trap if you're going for Dancer

DropsySufferer posted:

Wanted to ask is this game beatable the first time without a guide? I’ve made it to the peacock door but I’m having a hard time getting new fragments to work with.

Also my goal is different from my cult which was a screw up on my part.

I beat it without a guide my first time. It'll just probably take longer.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The game gives more than a few hints on how to beat it if you just pay attention to the text, the real trick is figuring out how to make it easier to get there.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

GreyjoyBastard posted:

okay i am not stoked about the 10% failure chance thing

Just wanted to complain about this as well because I don't mind wounds or even the occasional cultist death but 10% failure on stat-draining curses is very punishing considering how early you can get them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Promethium posted:

Just wanted to complain about this as well because I don't mind wounds or even the occasional cultist death but 10% failure on stat-draining curses is very punishing considering how early you can get them.

Yeah, this is less than ideal. I'm all for the wound/scar system though.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

apparently I can gift my own scars to others

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

ThaumPenguin posted:

Fistula? I barely knew ya!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

nm

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 23, 2018

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ThaumPenguin posted:

You can try, but you cannot succeed, from what I saw. It just goes back into your inventory like "no, you can't do that" when the timer runs down.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

You can try, but you cannot succeed, from what I saw. It just goes back into your inventory like "no, you can't do that" when the timer runs down.

that's fair

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The message it gives you is kinda funny. It's something about how there are some things that people won't accept, and I just imagine offering them my scar and the other person trying to figure out how to politely turn me down.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

How does the study of Influences work? Is it similar Lore? i.e. Like to Like, or subversion?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Moreau posted:

How does the study of Influences work? Is it similar Lore? i.e. Like to Like, or subversion?

Ja, but you they don't have to match exactly in magnitude I think. Apparently you can do things like combine A Buzzing in the Brain with a Restlessness to get A Rattling in the Soul, which makes the system a lot more useful than I thought it was going to be.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Yeah, 10% failure chance on curses is dumb. 20 winter, still fail, get cursed. :nallears:

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

Ja, but you they don't have to match exactly in magnitude I think. Apparently you can do things like combine A Buzzing in the Brain with a Restlessness to get A Rattling in the Soul, which makes the system a lot more useful than I thought it was going to be.

Well, you can get some of the the lowest two tier influences through combinations but that's about it. Influence just fizzle out too fast and at higher level it will require matching magnitude. I think the system needs another pass to be useful.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

pedro0930 posted:

Well, you can get some of the the lowest two tier influences through combinations but that's about it. Influence just fizzle out too fast and at higher level it will require matching magnitude. I think the system needs another pass to be useful.

Freezing the timers on influences is actually pretty simple. I was experimenting with the system and was able to make a 15th level moth influence out of just memories and buzzing influences. Anything that can accept an influence but doesn't consume it will freeze the timer on the influence while it's in the slot. Talking with Sulochana if you're playing dancer, painting with an influence, and just dropping it in the study verb and leaving the window open are more than enough to make any influence you want, assuming you can get the seed influences and are patient. Also, there's only influence types for level 2, 6, 10, and 15, so it doesn't take as manby combines as you would expect compared to combining lores.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Jan posted:

Yeah, 10% failure chance on curses is dumb. 20 winter, still fail, get cursed. :nallears:

That's my only real problem with the new system. Got one of my exalts murdered despite having 10 moth against curses.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007
I'd much rather have a small chance of something going wrong on a mission than the way it was before, where nothing would go wrong ever and it was just a matter of sending the right summon or the correct pair of cultists. Curses can be countered now after you've gotten one as well, although you're probably not going to be able to do it without some foreknowledge.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Perpetual posted:

I'd much rather have a small chance of something going wrong on a mission than the way it was before, where nothing would go wrong ever and it was just a matter of sending the right summon or the correct pair of cultists. Curses can be countered now after you've gotten one as well, although you're probably not going to be able to do it without some foreknowledge.

The Fifth Eye Curse wanted a level 10+ Heart influence to roll it back, and happened on a Shires expedition. I've never even seen a L10+ Heart influence, so unless they got added to the Spider/Peacock doors in the last patch... :lol:

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

Jan posted:

The Fifth Eye Curse wanted a level 10+ Heart influence to roll it back, and happened on a Shires expedition. I've never even seen a L10+ Heart influence, so unless they got added to the Spider/Peacock doors in the last patch... :lol:

I think spider door ( I don't remember which path) can give level ten heart influences now yeah, and white door (left path) can give level 6 heart influences which can be thrown together to make a level 10 influence fairly easily.

Edit: Found it, you can get tenth level heart from the spider door directly (the revealed one)

Perpetual fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Okay, so it's actually obtainable now, at least... But you either need to line up a Spider door 60 seconds before the opening for a curse cancel and have it give the proper Influence, or line up 2 white doors and have both of them give the proper Influence, while also spinning the first one so it lasts long enough to merge.

Seems like a very improbable run of luck.