Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I just hope this game's devs survive the release and reception of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

But Deathclaws are mutated chameleons that do not exist east of California.

they were genetically engineered pre-war and existed in secret government facilities.

That said the master used FEV to make them worse. If Super Mutants are around, a batch of Deathclaws can be around I guess. It would be nice if they'd tone them the gently caress down, though.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Megazver posted:

I just hope this game's devs survive the release and reception of this game.

Bethesda/Zenimax are loving loaded. Thats why they are doing this crap

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DoctorGonzo posted:

Bethesda/Zenimax are loving loaded. Thats why they are doing this crap

Like that will stop them from closing a studio down anyway, just for the gently caress of it. EA is loaded too, they shut down studios they themselves hosed over all the time.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
i wonder if this will be better or worse received than andromeda

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Megazver posted:

Like that will stop them from closing a studio down anyway, just for the gently caress of it. EA is loaded too, they shut down studios they themselves hosed over all the time.
Has Bethesda ever closed a studio? (Apart from sticking a fork in Interplay all those years ago)

I guess until recently they haven't had much outside help.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Holy smokes that letter reads like a pre-emptive answer to "Yeah but what do you do in Fallout 76?"

Well having fun is up to you! The players will figure it out.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DoctorGonzo posted:

the game loving sucks confirmed
"Here have this game, I don't know what it is, bye"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Has Bethesda ever closed a studio? (Apart from sticking a fork in Interplay all those years ago)

I guess until recently they haven't had much outside help.

I was gonna say Human Head Studios with Prey 2, but apparently HHS is still alive and kicking.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

i wonder if this will be better or worse received than andromeda

Oh wow, are things really looking THAT bad?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh wow, are things really looking THAT bad?

They are now.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
My prediction: No matter what the game looks like, it will play better than Underworld Ascendant which releases on the same day.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

quote:

And that with Fallout 76, you too are left wondering "What, exactly, is this?"

And the answer to that question, more than any game we've made is "that's up to you."

I can't believe that's a thing they actually wrote to address fans concerns about what this game is the week it's launching, lol.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Predicting now Red Dead Redemption 2 will be a hurricane that smashes all other games this season, and a better open world/mp game than Fallout 76

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
That letter reinforces what I've suspected about the twitter posts that people thought were NPCs. I always thought Bethesda was saying that in Fallout 76 you'd be making your own stories.

So :
https://twitter.com/Fallout/status/1054044075769380864

Is some player character's, head-cannon backstory.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
But that doesn't make sense, because the backstory of all player characters in 76 is "you came from vault 76"

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
That letter is pretty much a tacit admittance that the game is not finished and still has a ton of issues that are absolutely not gonna get fixed in time for release. Ridiculous.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

DoctorGonzo posted:

"Where we're going, we don't need gameplay to be entertained." Todd Howard, his hollow eye sockets and ears spewing a black viscous substance [10/22/18]

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

ccubed posted:

That letter reinforces what I've suspected about the twitter posts that people thought were NPCs. I always thought Bethesda was saying that in Fallout 76 you'd be making your own stories.

So :

Most definitely

those descriptions only matter if they have some grounding in the world of the game.. Which they won't. How many people are going to pick up this game thinking it's more fallout before angrily giving it a zero on metacritic "WHERE ARE THE OTHER PEOPLE"

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

ccubed posted:

So :

that's way too coherent to be a player character's backstory

here's one I just found on r/fallout

quote:

I was fresh out the vault when I met the minute men.After the glorious felling of beating a deathclaw I felt untouchable.I followed there quest line the came then taking of the castle.I thought it was gonna be a piece of cake with the thought of the dead deathclaw in my mind I went right away.We got there and cleansing the place of the mirelurks was hard enough for my low level character.When the queen first showed her face I thought "No big deal cant be harder then a deathclaw".I ran out to it and got killed.I did this 3 times before getting the thought through my thick skull this isn't working.I thought lets look for that missile launcher i found earlier but I soon realized an unwanted guest was still around as another mierlurk peered around a corner.I tried to kill it but loss more health then I could spare. Completely dismissing the rocket launcher I tried to fight the beast.I tried for hours playing from late afternoon into the night.What was my 20th attempt felt like my 100th but the abomination was low and I took my chance.The beast was finally destroyed thinking good loot was on its corpse all i found was a pipe sniper rifle which didnt compare to my rifle I got from the street vendor in diamond city.I was devastated and vowed to kill every mirelurk queen I found in the capital waste

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I mean, bethesda delivering half baked broken games that are straight badly designed in many ways then going 'okay make your own fun' describes FO3/4 anyway. FO76 is right in there.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

DoctorGonzo posted:

man, Cream-of-Plenty's troll posts are getting more and more elaborate

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Agent355 posted:

I mean, bethesda delivering half baked broken games that are straight badly designed in many ways then going 'okay make your own fun' describes FO3/4 anyway. FO76 is right in there.

They're trying to prevent people from moding 76 though, which is gonna be a real problem going forward.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Popete posted:

I can't believe that's a thing they actually wrote to address fans concerns about what this game is the week it's launching, lol.

they adressed poo poo

"hey guys the game is buggy as gently caress and there is nothing to do"

guess what...you are right!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that letter is quite literally just boilerplate stuff that any live multiplayer game would, and does, say

it's dumb for them to actually publish it because the throngs of deranged people whose steam library is only 'fallout: new vegas' are eager to see Todd Howard literally killed, but almost every open-world multiplayer game will produce some kind of community-facing blog post or something that says stuff almost exactly like this

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It literally admits that the game is barely completed and that its your job to find the fun. It's not boilerplate at all.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

that letter is quite literally just boilerplate stuff that any live multiplayer game would, and does, say

it's dumb for them to actually publish it because the throngs of deranged people whose steam library is only 'fallout: new vegas' are eager to see Todd Howard literally killed, but almost every open-world multiplayer game will produce some kind of community-facing blog post or something that says stuff almost exactly like this

I think it may be wise to start picking your battles at this point

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

Ahaha they preemptively published an apology for their game being bad

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Credit where credit is due though, Bethseda is basically saying "we've never done anything like this and we know the bugs are going to be new and exciting and probably NUTS" which is true and very fair of them to acknowledge in advance. It sort of reads like someone got a bee in their bonnet to make an open world survival fallout game so they just made it because they could, which I kind of respect.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

quote:

We developed all new technologies and services—while bending older technology to do things we didn't think it could.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
If they know that performance is bad, can't they bump the resolution down a bit on the consoles until it gets fixed? The way that letter is worded makes it sound like they're gonna release the game knowing that it runs badly and then hope to fix it later, which is an odd thing to admit so close to release. I guess they're trying to get ahead of the story a bit because if it really is that buggy and framey in this beta there's gonna be a ton of footage out there that makes the game look not so great.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Bottom line fallout games aren't that fun to shoot guns in, removing significant mechanics like NPCs, mods, towns, player choice, and VATS doesn't leave much in the gameplay loop. Unless dancing at each other in multiplayer games still does it for you.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

NeurosisHead posted:

Credit where credit is due though, Bethseda is basically saying "we've never done anything like this and we know the bugs are going to be new and exciting and probably NUTS" which is true and very fair of them to acknowledge in advance. It sort of reads like someone got a bee in their bonnet to make an open world survival fallout game so they just made it because they could, which I kind of respect.

Yeah it reads to me like they never really had a good idea of what this was going to be but they wanted to do something multiplayer, that's perfectly fine. Now that it's about to release they still aren't really sure what they want this game to be but they're banking on players giving them enough input to make it into something fun.

It probably started from a good place but it's starting to sound like this should just be entering early access not commercial launch.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Bardeh posted:

If they know that performance is bad, can't they bump the resolution down a bit on the consoles until it gets fixed? The way that letter is worded makes it sound like they're gonna release the game knowing that it runs badly and then hope to fix it later, which is an odd thing to admit so close to release. I guess they're trying to get ahead of the story a bit because if it really is that buggy and framey in this beta there's gonna be a ton of footage out there that makes the game look not so great.

Bumping resolution down only works if the game is mostly GPU bound. If the game is CPU bound, or even worse, CPU bound on a single core because it is running on a janky engine with multiplayer jammed in, you can't do anything.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Agent355 posted:

It literally admits that the game is barely completed and that its your job to find the fun. It's not boilerplate at all.

you could probably Ctrl f almost any blog post from the division, destiny, Warframe etc's launch and find almost these exact words.

it's not good but live games are almost never released 'finished' and generally rely on player population returning once their game is 'fixed'.

this isn't a defense of the doubtlessly very flawed game fallout 76 will be at launch, just that it won't be very different from any other shared-world shooter that we've seen.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Bardeh posted:

That letter is pretty much a tacit admittance that the game is not finished and still has a ton of issues that are absolutely not gonna get fixed in time for release. Ridiculous.

Saladin Rising posted:

Honestly this is a big part of where my disappointment with FO:76 originates. Everything I've seen so far has has basically re-affirmed my initial impression that this was just a half-assed cash grab built around Fallout 4 multiplayer that Bethesda decided to rebrand as a full game.

I don't hate the game really, I hate that Bethesda is treating it like a full $60 dollar game with exclusive pre-orders and a closed beta and poo poo, and not marketing it as the $15 or $20 dollar "hey here's Fallout 4 multiplayer edition" game it really is.

Me laughing at the multitude of bugs is both a comedy bonus and further confirmation of Bethesda's half-assing. If they'd been serious about making this game playable and less glitchy than usual then the beta would have started back in like July or August, rather than "hey there's a beta two weeks before launch, and only if you give us your money sight-unseen pre-ordered the game".
What's that feeling when you totally called something, but you also feel kind of disappointed because the thing you predicted was disappointing? Because that's how I feel right now.

I do find it funny that Bethesda themselves acknowledged in that letter that their games are buggy as poo poo, and that they'll have to do regular bugfixes of FO:76 rather than just saying "Yay the game's out, we're done!" and leaving it up to fans/modders to do bugfixes.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

you could probably Ctrl f almost any blog post from the division, destiny, Warframe etc's launch and find almost these exact words.

it's not good but live games are almost never released 'finished' and generally rely on player population returning once their game is 'fixed'.

this isn't a defense of the doubtlessly very flawed game fallout 76 will be at launch, just that it won't be very different from any other shared-world shooter that we've seen.

but none of those games when released were particularly janky at all. I played all three and they were generally very polished out of the box.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

I find ironic to read this note about a game where every quest will be delivered with a note.

Like a literal interpretation of the "chinese wall" strategy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_wall

I hope the game is good, and even if is broken in a few ways, I believe we all will have fun with it.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
We'll see how buggy it is tomorrow with the beta for xbox. I already pre order for pc. There didn't see to be too much jank from the release 3 hour invited footage. So Im hopefull that it won't be completely bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Agent355 posted:

Right, and they are doing a beta right before launch so there is no way for them to even fix whatever issues they've found in time. This is probably a game that (if there are still people playing it then) you are better off trying out in 6 months when it's actually had some work done to it.