Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Danaru posted:

I know a lot of people say this to deflect criticism, but legitimately a lot of the hate towards Survive is from people who haven't played it. It takes a LONG time for it to get going but it's a fun game, and certainly better than most non-Kojima spin offs.

Seriously people lost their minds screeching betrayal because it plays different than most MGS games, but Metal Gear Acid exists.

Also lots of horse poo poo from people like Angry Joe and Jim Sterling, compounded with outrage over microtransactions for character slots. The game is definitely flawed but fun, especially the whole expedition game loop of uncovering the map and delving deeper into the dust. The game can be a bit rough to start, but gets more interesting as you get more options to deal with stuff and difficult missions start unlocking. Once you get to the second open-world map it stops being nice and becomes "What if Vietnam, but the Viet Cong were made of crystals" which is great.

Also the story takes enough weird turns and features crazy sci-fi concepts I think it qualifies as legit Metal Gear. Ain't seen a timeline get this weird since a Siren game.

E: Also, when is the next episode of the Survive LP, Danaru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, it is kind of a legitimate criticism. When I buy a Metal Gear game, it's because I want "tactical espionage action" sneakystab gameplay. It's like buying Dark Souls 3 1/2 and finding out it's a dating game.

Sure, it's really people's own fault for not previewing the game better before buying, but saying that endlessly trudging around in alternate universe zombie postapocalyptica isn't what you wanted or expected isn't exactly unjustified, based on the rest of the series.

From the way it's been described, aside from some overblown outrage, it really does sound like the worst thing about the game is its name. If it had been branded without the MGS name, it probably would've been more popular as a weird, MGS-esque survival game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Danaru posted:

I know a lot of people say this to deflect criticism, but legitimately a lot of the hate towards Survive is from people who haven't played it. It takes a LONG time for it to get going but it's a fun game, and certainly better than most non-Kojima spin offs.

Seriously people lost their minds screeching betrayal because it plays different than most MGS games, but Metal Gear Acid exists.

As an honest question from someone who's never played it, but how does it get better? Because it really looks like one of the shittiest survival games out there. In a market filled with mindless, grindy survival titles, what makes MGS stand out? Also, how long does it take just to "get going" because if a game doesn't pull me in within the first hour then honestly, what's the point.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Morpheus posted:

From the way it's been described, aside from some overblown outrage, it really does sound like the worst thing about the game is its name. If it had been branded without the MGS name, it probably would've been more popular as a weird, MGS-esque survival game.
All in all it still looks kind of janky to me, but I'm sure you're right there otherwise. Without trying to ride on the Metal Gear franchise coat-tails, it would have just been yet another okay-ish but unremarkable survival thingie, albeit with unusually high production values for its game world.

s.i.r.e. posted:

As an honest question from someone who's never played it, but how does it get better?
Just from what I've seen from watching about 6-ish hours of gameplay, I'd say it sells what it offers fairly upfront. If you don't like how it starts, you won't like how it ends.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
so basically give it a miss if you don’t want to spend hours poking zombies with a stick while a computer tells you that you’re thirsty

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Survive would've passed over without controversy any other year but the fact that it debuted a month after Monster Hunter World was pretty damning. Konami didn't even include it in their sales reports which they never skip on doing.

This guy
Jul 29, 2007
YES

Oxxidation posted:

so basically give it a miss if you don’t want to spend hours poking zombies with a stick while a computer tells you that you’re thirsty

only if you're an Entitled Irrational Screaming Gamer, the only people that didn't like this magnum opus of a game

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

1. Little Nightmares
2. OK/NORMAL
3. Unforgiving - A Northern Hymn
4. Rise of Insanity
5. Paratopic
6. Rusty Lake Paradise
7. Cube Escape: Paradox
8. INFERNIUM
9. Dead Secret
10. All Haze Eve
11. Welcome to Hanwell
12. Gray Dawn
13. The Last Cargo
14. Observer
15. Dark Deception
16. Cultist Simulator
17. House of Evil
18. Nevermind
19. CONCLUSE
20. Sagebrush
21. The Painscreek Killings

22. A Room Beyond

I tend to avoid episodic games, at least until all the episodes are out, but even then I’m always wary. Episodic development always seems to result in an uneven experience, with chapters of the game feeling like they were pulled from different worlds of design. Sometimes that works in their favor, as with The Dream Machine. And sometimes it doesn’t, as with A Room Beyond. Already built upon a vague premise and indistinct graphics, the episodes that chronicle this adventure feel wildly disparate and uneven. If the revelations they led to were surprising or compelling enough this formula could still work, but sadly there are little moth-eaten holes across this whole tapestry,

The game opens with you (the player) witnessing a suicidal ritual. It then jumps to you (the character) as you escape from another, possibly related, ritual deep in a dank cave. You find yourself in a hazy valley being terrorized by the Fog Walker, a supernatural murderer who can also recruit glowing bugs to do his bidding. Unclear on what’s happening or your part in any of it, you must struggle to escape death and stop the tragedies from occurring before things get any worse.

I made it through three chapters of the five-chapter game, and that was the best I could piece together. A Room Beyond feels very much like The Last Door when you start it up, with a powerful, stylish opening and clear divisions between its chapters. But while The Last Door had strong narrative and systemic continuity between chapters, A Room Beyond seems to jump all over the place. The first chapter will see you exploring the valley and solving essentially one puzzle, while the second introduces combat and more complex alchemical and pipe puzzles, and then the third has you treasure-hunting and cave diving. Unfortunately the narrative can’t seem to tie this all together either, as the villainous Fog Walker seems to get new powers every chapter, without a hint at it’s motivation over halfway through the game.

It’s a frustrating journey as well, thanks to some mechanics that just don’t work as well as they should. The game is designed to look like a PS1 or early 3D PC adventure, with your blocky character roaming intensely-pixellated terrain. But the art style doesn’t quite click, obscuring many points of interest behind indistinct pixels and forcing you to use the obnoxious highlights multiple times per scene. Your character has trouble navigating the areas as well, mashing his face against walls and bushes in a vain effort to get where he’s going. It’s doubly bad in sequences where you have someone following you, because they’ll block your path and your character won’t attempt to path around them. And the combat just exacerbates everything, requiring you to position yourself and click on enemies until dead, but sometimes they can hit you when you can’t hit them and your attacks have a random chance to connect anyway.

I had high hopes for A Room Beyond, being a fan of pretty much everything that went into it. Lo-fi adventure games facing off against unknown evils are the kind of thing I never get tired of (see how many I’ve reviewed this month), but this one doesn’t bring much more than the themes I like. Simply moving and interacting is a chore, each chapter introduces new mechanics that clutter the game with instant deaths and distractions, and the plot seems barely present. I wish there were something to highlight, but sadly I don’t think there’s really anything beyond the obvious problems here.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oxxidation posted:

Does anything else ever happen in the game because all game play I've seen revolved around this and it looked mind-numbingly dull. Like, there wasn't a single aspect of the game that looked remotely interesting or fresh and it was cobbled together with all of the worst or most played out elements of other games that had already grown long in the tooth.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Poking zombies and drinking a lot is a fairly accurate summary of every time I've played a Dead Rising game, and I'm vaguely shocked and dismayed that someone found a way to make that combination of words look so boring.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I would say the bigger draw early on is the sense of exploration. The dust really does feel alien and unwelcoming until you get used to it. Ruins and abandoned bases manage to create an effective mood while still letting you defend yourself. The map being blank and you piecing it together is actually pretty fun. The events and challenge missions are the end game draw. Sometimes Gekko show up as enemies, or you can unlock the croc hat, or you can call in the Shagohod to do a driveby with mgs3 music. It’s fun. The jungle map is crazy good, even if long legged giant spiders drop down on me from the trees more than I like.

Poking zombies with a stick is an option but hardly the only one. Stealth kills , your bag of refilling decoys, or just avoiding combat is a good option, and unless explicitly stated as an objective like “defend this”, combat eats resources and has risk. Again, you get more options besides melee pretty quick. Bows and arrows alone mean you can control enemies better. Molotovs and grenades are also great for saving time with crowds.

One change I really like is that suppressor durability is now tied to gun condition, meaning you can fire for much, much longer before wearing it out. I’ve never loved the Burkov more.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. I've never played it myself, but I've watched enough videos to think that even compared to Phantom Pain, which is already very grindy, it looks slow-paced and tedious as all get-out. If five or six hours of video playing in the background wasn't enough for me to get to a point where I would subjectively say the game "really got going," I think people might be better served buying a game they find fun right from the beginning instead.

Well, it is kind of a legitimate criticism. When I buy a Metal Gear game, it's because I want "tactical espionage action" sneakystab gameplay. It's like buying Dark Souls 3 1/2 and finding out it's a dating game.

Sure, it's really people's own fault for not previewing the game better before buying, but saying that endlessly trudging around in alternate universe zombie postapocalyptica isn't what you wanted or expected isn't exactly unjustified, based on the rest of the series.

Metal Gear Rising says hello.

But nobody cared to call betrayal on that one because ninja action and Kojima still worked for Konami.

This game didn't have a chance from the second it had the metal gear name attached.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Len posted:

Metal Gear Rising says hello.
To be fair, it's also a loving hilarious game with amazing music, funny and likable characters and an actual, comprehensible plot with fantastic setpiece fights. People didn't buy that game on the strength of the Metal Gear trademark stuck to it, they bought it because word of mouth literally made it out to be just that good.

And no offense to anyone who enjoys playing Survive, while I can see the appeal to a simulationist survival game like that, all those are things it ain't. If it had been an grand old "gently caress yes this is amazing" bonanza of fun and nanomachines like Revengeance, I'm sure no one would have bothered to complain about this one, either.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 22, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cardiovorax posted:

To be fair, it's also a loving hilarious game with amazing music, funny and likable characters and actual, comprehensible plot with fantastic setpiece fights. People didn't buy that game on the strength of the Metal Gear trademark stuck to it, they bought it because word of mouth literally made it out to be just that good.

And no offense to anyone who enjoys playing it, while I can see the appeal to a simulationist survival game like that, all those are things it ain't. If it had been an grand old "gently caress yes this is amazing" bonanza of fun and nanomachines like Revengeance, I'm sure no one would have bothered to complain about this one, either.

If the complaining would have waited until it was out or even playable sure. But the internet got worked up about it being sacrilege and wrong and evil because Konami had the audacity to dare out the Metal Gear name on a game Kojima wasn't attached to.

I only played a little bit of survive and it was fun enough for what it is but it's nowhere near as bad as all the word of mouth said it was.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I watched a presumably highly condensed playthrough done by some guy that apparently streams himself running mgs games every day and has done so for the past couple of years that ended up making the game look fairly interesting and even the dude playing it said he liked it a lot more than he thought he would've going into it.

I assume he cut out the majority of the grind for pacing and its not like bullshit grinding wasn't all over mgs5 to begin with. It also looked like it utilized the open world map a lot better than mgs5 by actually having a point to explore at all.

The story and characters seemed just kind of there until nearly the end of the game, but it reminded me of something youd get in a pulp novel that youd buy at a garage sale or something.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

If the complaining would have waited until it was out or even playable sure. But the internet got worked up about it being sacrilege and wrong and evil because Konami had the audacity to dare out the Metal Gear name on a game Kojima wasn't attached to.
Honestly, I hadn't even heard of Survive until I saw a Let's Play pop up here on SA, so wherever that apparent Internet outcry was, it wasn't really all that loud. Don't get too invested in being offended by people going "meh" at the meh game. It's cool if you enjoyed it, but it's janky and niche and the generally unenthusiastic reception should surprise no one.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 22, 2018

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
People liked Revengeance because it was made by Platinum, a group that is just as loved by their fans as Kojima, if not as popular. Survive was "made by" soulless pachinko makers that were ruining classic franchises at a rate that would make Michael Bay blush.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

People liked Revengeance because it was made by Platinum
Dunno. Personally, I liked it because it was good and fun.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

yes, in some ways it was even better than the source material on top of having solid minute to minute gameplay

there wasn’t a lot of noise about Survival because it died too fast for people to even hate that much, both because of the circumstances surrounding it’s release and because of the game itself being a miserable trudge made up mainly of things people hate in other titles

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Len posted:

Konami had the audacity to dare out the Metal Gear name on a game Kojima wasn't attached to.

Uh, yeah, actually, they shouldn't do that, it's gross

A big flaming stink posted:

People liked Revengeance because it was made by Platinum, a group that is just as loved by their fans as Kojima, if not as popular. Survive was "made by" soulless pachinko makers that were ruining classic franchises at a rate that would make Michael Bay blush.

It was also the closest we could get to a Bayonetta PC port for a while.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cardiovorax posted:

While Survive is neither.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

To be fair, I think I could have fun with it if you modded out like three quarters of the tedious trudging around somehow, but then I'm the type of person who can play Cataclysm DDA for hours and basically spend all of that playing Interior Decorator: Roguelike Edition.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Skyscraper posted:

I don't know if people hated it for the gameplay so much as the theft of Kojima's intellectual property. Anyway, thanks!
(With that av I have to trust you on the gameplay)

I don't think Kojima had IP rights to metal gear, nor that Konami somehow "stole" it.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Survive was "made by" soulless pachinko makers that were ruining classic franchises at a rate that would make Michael Bay blush.

Executives generally don’t design, program, and manage game development. I don’t like Konami much either but the people making Survive were people from the Phantom Pain team and made a pretty good effort undeserving of sarcastic quote marks.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Quicksilver6 posted:

Executives generally don’t design, program, and manage game development. I don’t like Konami much either but the people making Survive were people from the Phantom Pain team and made a pretty good effort undeserving of sarcastic quote marks.

I know, thus the quotations. I'm talking about the public perception which was Konami a poo poo and stabbed Kojima in the back.

Honestly I don't even think that Kojima is even that good at making games and Survive easily could have been about the same level of quality as previous mgs games. But the actual quality of a game is rarely the greatest determinant of success

Anyway I asked this earlier but wasnt there a horror game where you played an OSHA inspector or something like that? Was it any good?

e: i'm not talking about a chzo game. it was like a first person adventure type thing

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 23, 2018

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Uh, there was the last Chzo game. It wasn't particularly good but it was better than the one in space.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Infra?

I don't think that was a horror game specifically, just had a good kinda-spooky atmosphere

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Knorth posted:

Infra?

I don't think that was a horror game specifically, just had a good kinda-spooky atmosphere

yeah this was it. cool thanks. coanks

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think Survive is the game where all resources are finite within your game state so if you start over everything you picked up game 1 is gone in game 2.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The "Poke zombies with a spear" thing stops working so much once you get stuff like the giant mushroom heads that kamikaze, SKULLS monsters who dash and flip and roundhouse your rear end all over the place, giant crystal spiders in the trees which I totally didn't feel grossed out by at all, crystal-bug-thing mantraps in the ground that snap out little arms to try and yank you down, the swole arm monsters who get giant crystal arms they can shotgun and mortar you with, the actual giant boss monster type stuff, like I said before, it's weird that they backloaded a game like this so hard which NEEDED to make a good early impression to weather people coming in wanting to hate it, the early game is largely about getting around the basic bitch not-zombie crystalman mobs, but as soon as you get to africa (Second big ole map just like MGSV) you start seeing all these weirdo cool enemies that spice the game up a lot more.

Quicksilver6 posted:

And yeah this is another problem I have with a lot of the common criticism of the game, the devs tried, they wouldn't have come up with anything but the boring crystal zombies all game if they hadn't or the dust being a cool atmospheric alien area or the giant freaky boss monsters or the done fairly well base building or whacked out story or any of that. Put blame where it's deserved, which is Konami, not the dudes who were trying their best to make a doomed game fun.

al-azad posted:

I think Survive is the game where all resources are finite within your game state so if you start over everything you picked up game 1 is gone in game 2.

Resources in the normal world come back on a timer and the dust constantly has stuff dropping out of wormholes, so if it comes down to it you can just go in The Bad Place to get your doodads.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 23, 2018

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

yeah this was it. cool thanks. coanks
Are you afraid of valves? Are you afraid of not doing a small thing irreversibly loving you out of content hours later?

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
So, one of the random profiles on the main Steam page today was this newly released game which I'd never heard of before and didn't get a "Now Available on Steam" blurb in the News section. The premise alone was intriguing enough that I added it to my "Following" queue right away, monochromatic Game Boy-esque colour pallette be damned. Also I figured that it should be posted in here because it seemed like it could be right up this thread's alley but didn't get around to it earlier. It turns out that IGN gave it a great review - and a key quote comes right at the start:

quote:

I’ve never played a game quite like Return of the Obra Dinn, but now that I have, all I want is more. This investigative story skillfully straddles the line between an adventure game, a puzzle game, and a gruesome, supernatural, Moby Dick-themed version of Guess Who.

Off my watch list, onto my wishlist. Maybe it'll be on yours too?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
it's by the Papers Please guy, that should be enough for a lotta people.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Agent Escalus posted:

So, one of the random profiles on the main Steam page today was this newly released game which I'd never heard of before and didn't get a "Now Available on Steam" blurb in the News section. The premise alone was intriguing enough that I added it to my "Following" queue right away, monochromatic Game Boy-esque colour pallette be damned. Also I figured that it should be posted in here because it seemed like it could be right up this thread's alley but didn't get around to it earlier. It turns out that IGN gave it a great review - and a key quote comes right at the start:

Off my watch list, onto my wishlist. Maybe it'll be on yours too?

Just beat the game earlier tonight. Not quite horror, but it is a fantastic logic adventure puzzle. I highly recommend it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

CommunityEdition posted:

Just beat the game earlier tonight. Not quite horror, but it is a fantastic logic adventure puzzle. I highly recommend it.

Very much this. Don't expect any huge twists story wise, but its absorbing start to finish.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Unlucky7 posted:

Very much this. Don't expect any huge twists story wise, but its absorbing start to finish.
Well, there's a couple twisty things in the background, never brought up by the main plotline, which are very intriguing and may keep you thinking.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Resources in the normal world come back on a timer and the dust constantly has stuff dropping out of wormholes, so if it comes down to it you can just go in The Bad Place to get your doodads.
I think the only thing that doesn't come back are things of which you never actually need more than one, like blueprints. Those are shared between all your save slots, too, so it basically just doesn't matter at all and those boxes will then be filled with what are basically microtransaction loot boxes, except without the microtransaction part and you can just pick them up wherever.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
You've all really sold me on Survive. I only gave the demo an hour, but it all sounds so horrifically oppressive and maddening. The story comparison to Siren was the icing on the cake too.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think I want to replay alien isolation. I can't remember though, is the game actually easier on harder difficulty because the alien is more predictable?

I just wanna try to get through the game and finish it this time my last playthrough stalled out around 80% I think.

If it's not much easier then I'll just put it on the easiest and do my best to get through it. If I remember right the alien eventually homes in on you so the best tactic is actually keep moving and only hide as needed to get out of LOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Discendo Vox posted:

I don't think Kojima had IP rights to metal gear, nor that Konami somehow "stole" it.

I don't care about copyright law, it's hosed to take something that someone has authored, to such a personal degree that it breaks the fourth wall around them, and run it (some would say, into the ground) after you wreck their last game and force them out. That's way more theft than any kind of copyright violation could be.

Not like Kojima didn't land on his feet or anything, I'm just saying that it was gross for Konami to have done. Mostly their CEO, John J. Konami III, I don't blame the dev team that's still stuck there, they seem like they at least had fun with MGSVS, looking at the videos I've seen popping up.