Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Gunshow Poophole posted:

sneak attack on houston from the wrong direction lol

the last time this happened the hurricane just dissolved over the sierra madre and houston got some heavy rain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

nothing interesting will come of willa sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5tKILoxrQ4

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm the Pakled looking around my devastated home and thinking "woah what if climate change is real, actually?"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

nothing interesting will come of willa sorry

Ya no one lives in

*checks notes*

Mexico

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
It's going to hit Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan and ruin the vacation plans of hundreds~

Also it's a cat5 now

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

category 5 tropical cyclones used to be a rare and exceptional thing that only happened like, once a year globally

but in recent years there have been many cat 5 systems in every basin, most of which were never forecast to become so intense

it's almost as if something about the world's climate......is changing........ :thunk:

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

It's going to hit Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan and ruin the vacation plans of hundreds~

Also it's a cat5 now

Kinda hoping it smashes into Puerto Vallarta. Im supposed to family vacation there in December, and nothing ruins a vacation like family. Always come back more stressed than when I left.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
HAIL POSEIDON Holder of the Earth

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moridin920 posted:

HAIL POSEIDON Holder of the Earth

nah poseidon's about seismic-type destruction, earthquakes and tidal waves. considering the geographic context this is more tlaloc's show

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

nah poseidon's about seismic-type destruction, earthquakes and tidal waves. considering the geographic context this is more tlaloc's show

Profligate! Mighty Poseidon cursed Athens with hurricanes when they sided with Athena!

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
lotta chuds are saying that this is a literal kamikaze directed at the honduran caravan

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Socks4Hands posted:

lotta chuds are saying that this is a literal kamikaze directed at the honduran caravan

now that slaps

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what if this is just statistical noise

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I cant believe Willa Rogers would try and destroy Mexico like this

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Until a category 5 hurricane hits Wall Street, I will remain unimpressed

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

rudecyrus posted:

patience grasshopper

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

rudecyrus posted:

the very first category 7 will strike them down

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
:matters:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/you2peter/status/1054543226487562241

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

love it when the government writes off large portions of the country, tacitly admitting that they are already as good as uninhabitable due to climate change

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Over Easy posted:

love it when the government writes off large portions of the country, tacitly admitting that they are already as good as uninhabitable due to climate change

sir this is a state collapse

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Lawman 0 posted:

sir this is a state collapse

can't collapse what was never there, nerd :shrug:

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

so like whats the game plan here lmao

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
last i checked they eventually approved a couple hundred million but yeah there were a bunch of places hit by florence and michael that still hadn't seen any recovery from matthew

augias
Apr 7, 2009

The Muppets On PCP posted:

last i checked they eventually approved a couple hundred million but yeah there were a bunch of places hit by florence and michael that still hadn't seen any recovery from matthew

There is no such thing as recovery when the cat 5s are comin hot n fast every year

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Food Boner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55sjaEDJ65k

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

The Muppets On PCP posted:

blue fema tarps stopped leaks call us in 3 years program closed

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Food Boner posted:

blame it on the democrats

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Over Easy posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1054755401651179521

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Food Boner posted:

letting people die so they can buy gold plated umbrella stands

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Food Boner posted:

You ever been west of Miami? Because all those little towns like Florida City are still mostly wrecked from loving Hurricane Andrew

More and more of America will turn into that soon. We're already a third-world country, soon we will look like one too

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Living in a salvaged tin shack to own the libs

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bro Dad posted:

You ever been west of Miami? Because all those little towns like Florida City are still mostly wrecked from loving Hurricane Andrew

More and more of America will turn into that soon. We're already a third-world country, soon we will look like one too

Accelerating the undoing of white flight seems like a good thing IMO.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Food Boner posted:

Either Congress authorizes it (I thought that's what usually happens anyway?) or just lol I guess

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

Either Congress authorizes it (I thought that's what usually happens anyway?) or just lol I guess

It's basically this. Federal aid is approved by congress and allocated to various departments for use. Otherwise, it comes out of their normal operating budgets which is generally meant for normal, day-to-day operating expenses. Absent any supplemental recovery funding, it becomes a toss-up depending on the budgets of the department heads and regional directors and so forth as to how to allocate their already stretched funds with their current resources. There's not a lot of buffer room in budgets for emergencies like this for the most part, so until funding for aid is passed, :rip: NC

Edit: As an example of this funding, Supplemental funding for Irma in Florida and PR was passed in February of 2018. The money wasn't confirmed on USACE's side until around the end of September/beginning of October. We likely wont see money for Michael for another year and that'd be another pile of work on top of our new, increased workload.

Xelkelvos has issued a correction as of 21:22 on Oct 23, 2018

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

One less Hawaiian island

https://twitter.com/johnupton/status/1054781097047932928

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

the jason av is really fitting for this post, somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Xelkelvos posted:

Accelerating the undoing of white flight seems like a good thing IMO.

Hahaha no

white flight meant a bunch of tax revenue leaving the cities and leaving most services unfunded but at least the city still has the ramshackle former shreddings of infrastructure that makes life at least navigable/walkable

the reverse of that is gentrification, where richer white people go "hey living in cities is actually more efficient," move back to the cities and as a result poor people get pushed out from rising costs. then poor people are forced into homelessness or to the suburbs where there's nothing in way of funded infrastructure and you get some libertarian ferguson situation where all elected office is a bunch of non-representative whites who deliberately harass, fine and brutalize the non-white population to fund themselves