Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gmq posted:

That first scene sold me the show, Kaos is so good. The latter half of the episode killed my enthusiasm though. :v:
The first couple eps of the show are super rough, but it gets a lot better as it goes on and it crossreferences the dumb gimmicks less. Heck, the girl that draws ecchi even has a scene where she literally resolves to never be embarrassed about drawing ecchi again, and then she isn't. Some pretty decent looks into stuff like being a female mangaka/general female nerd with low self-confidence, too.

The second half of that first episode is really rough, and ep 2 isn't much better, but it picks things up a lot. Considering how obvious an author self insert Kaos is, it kind of feels like the author lacked confidence and leaned into those gimmicks as a crutch for the first few chapters before eventually gaining the confidence to do her own thing.

In conclusion, I think Comic Girls is a pretty alright show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

finally after 5 seasons no one on earth could possibly care about the show surely will be worth watching

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
i watched a couple of episodes of the first season and it was so bad, like even though the episodes were incredibly short they were hard to get through

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

finally after 5 seasons no one on earth could possibly care about the show surely will be worth watching
the monster strike anime?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Endorph posted:

The first couple eps of the show are super rough, but it gets a lot better as it goes on and it crossreferences the dumb gimmicks less.

Tbh I kinda went the other way on that: the gags kept me entertained from the start but some of the later episodes are harder to watch because she keeps failing over and over in ever more depressing ways. It’s nice once Kaos finally gets a win but wow it’s a long time coming.

Fun show regardless, would recommend.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
most of the early character gags are completely irrelevant to anything and one of them completely overrides a character's actual personality in any given scene so it was hard to get entertainment value from them

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Which one are you talking about?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Agronox posted:

Which one are you talking about?

the chuuni gimmick, where every time the shounen author girl appears in a scene in the first three episodes she gets to be a character for like two seconds before diving into a gimmick that doesn't even really have anything to do with shonen action manga and the result is that for the first three episodes of the show she has virtually no time to actually interact with anyone as a character

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Oh yeah, fair point.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

You know, I did not realise until this point how many of this season's standout shows are gay as hell. Double Decker, JoJo, and Thunderbolt Fantasy are self-explanatory, Run With the Wind's author is a literal published scholar on yaoi, and Gridman is quite likely to be the director's genderbent Transformers slashfic. Clearly, correlation equals causation and making anime gayer will also make it better until it collapses into a radiant fabulosity singularity our puny mortal eyes are incapable of processing.
the cheerleading show has an actual coming out scene

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The 7th Guest posted:

the cheerleading show has an actual coming out scene

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Davincie posted:

youre overestimating my standards op

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Surprisingly unrelated to the actual coming out.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

and Gridman is quite likely to be the director's genderbent Transformers slashfic.

does this mean the girls are gay for each other or does it mean the girl being into a guy is gay

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

DisDisDis posted:

does this mean the girls are gay for each other or does it mean the girl being into a guy is gay
We might be reading too much into this.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the entire year is littered with good gay anime tbf. january started with devilman crybaby, citrus, and hakata tonkotsu ramens for god's sake

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

I'm getting familiar vibes

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

dogsicle posted:

hakata tonkotsu ramens for god's sake

for god's sake!!!!!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Akanesasu Shoujo has rebounded nicely from a rather dull second episode over the last couple of weeks, mostly by A.) getting rather gleefully dumb and B.) inviting Tomoyo Kurosawa to put on increasingly silly voices and impressions. Good fun.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Comic Girls was fun. I really wanted a whole show of the matron mommying the teacher after work after that one episode so I'm probably gonna watch New Game s2 next to fill that need

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

when new game s3

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Futaba Anzu posted:

when new game s3
I don't know how much the anime deviated from the 6 volumes that were out when 2nd season started airing, but I'm guessing by next year there'll be enough material for a 3rd season, perhaps? I liked the 2nd season a great deal more than season 1, too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The anime doesn't deviate from the manga at all.

So yeah, we're going to wait a while until there's enough material for a third season. The manga is still only a few chapters into the arc immediately after Kou's departure.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anima Yell quickly becoming one of my favourites of the season

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sakurazuka posted:

Anima Yell quickly becoming one of my favourites of the season

The main character of that made me realize Kirara Manga has a type (pink haired genki girls) but I'm not complaining.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Grouchio posted:

We might be reading too much into this.

The situation is further complicated in that the director explicitly told the character designer to model the female lead after him, but thicc

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

It means that the ED and promo material are at least suggesting that the girls are gay for each other. This hasn't carried over into the actual show yet, but it's an ontological mystery where we're still in the dark about a whole lot of stuff, so it hasn't exactly been ruled out, either.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Man, this season's been really hard to find a series to be interested in. We can't even get past the blurbs to try anything...

Might just have to start at the top of https://myanimelist.net/anime/season sorted by rating, and work our way down until something sticks...

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

kayakyakr posted:

Man, this season's been really hard to find a series to be interested in. We can't even get past the blurbs to try anything...

Might just have to start at the top of https://myanimelist.net/anime/season sorted by rating, and work our way down until something sticks...

My top 3 this season have been Gridman, Run With the Wind and Bunny Girl Senpai with Zombieland Saga close behind them. I'd suggest checking those out at the very least.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

kayakyakr posted:

Well you can safely skip those first two and move straight on to the bunnygirl show at the least. It's surprising non-perverted and well written.

Zombieland Saga is the gem of the season imo.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

What're you looking for, besides 'anime?' I've got some good options for romance, action, and comedy.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ibblebibble posted:

My top 3 this season have been Gridman, Run With the Wind and Bunny Girl Senpai with Zombieland Saga close behind them. I'd suggest checking those out at the very least.
The Slime Isekai is also really, really good.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Kwyndig posted:

The main character of that made me realize Kirara Manga has a type (pink haired genki girls) but I'm not complaining.

They can be nadeshiko girls if they’re in love with a blonde foreigner

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think the thing the I'm most eager to watch this season is probably Double Decker or Thunderbolt fantasy followed closely by Slime Isekai and SSSS Gridman.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Double Decker, Gridman, and Slime are also my tops this season. Tsurune looks like it has potential too.

Zombieland Saga gets a lot of good press but I've never watched an idol show nor have I ever had interest in them so I can't bring myself to try it. Maybe after it finishes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Double Decker, Gridman, and Slime are also my tops this season. Tsurune looks like it has potential too.

Zombieland Saga gets a lot of good press but I've never watched an idol show nor have I ever had interest in them so I can't bring myself to try it. Maybe after it finishes.

Think of it as a zombie comedy with idol elements. It's certainly not just for fans of idol shows.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Incidentally, is there any meaningful tension or conflict in Slime? I know a bunch of folks seem to like it, but it sounds suspiciously like one of those 'overpowered protagonist bulldozes through everything, fixes everyone's problems with the dozens of superpowers they've pulled out of their rear end' shows, and I tend to find those pretty boring even when the power-fantasy they're fulfilling isn't outright reprehensible.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The slime is cute

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Darth Walrus posted:

Incidentally, is there any meaningful tension or conflict in Slime? I know a bunch of folks seem to like it, but it sounds suspiciously like one of those 'overpowered protagonist bulldozes through everything, fixes everyone's problems with the dozens of superpowers they've pulled out of their rear end' shows, and I tend to find those pretty boring even when the power-fantasy they're fulfilling isn't outright reprehensible.
I'm watching it but yeah it's pretty much wish fulfillment so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

So far, no. It's fun but I think I'm going to drop it, I feel the next 20 episodes are going to be mostly the same.