Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

And now this transforms into a horror/tragedy manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol

sayuri's revenge

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ccs posted:

Do you guys think anime has a worse track record than other mediums for disappointing endings? Cause I can think of so many anime I watched that didn't stick the landing after starting out strong, but I don't know if that's just bias from media consumption habits. And of course it's all subjective. I'm wondering if it could be from the elaborate premise a lot of shows start with that then runs into issues with production schedule issues, or because its an adaption that outpaces its source, or just cause writing endings is generally difficult.

Manga seems to be a lot worse, if that counts as separate for this.

I'm still salty about Negima all these years later.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think anyone is as salty about Negima ending as Akamatsu himself, though.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Ccs posted:

Do you guys think anime has a worse track record than other mediums for disappointing endings? Cause I can think of so many anime I watched that didn't stick the landing after starting out strong, but I don't know if that's just bias from media consumption habits. And of course it's all subjective. I'm wondering if it could be from the elaborate premise a lot of shows start with that then runs into issues with production schedule issues, or because its an adaption that outpaces its source, or just cause writing endings is generally difficult.

I generally prefer original anime over manga or light novel adaptations for precisely this reason. With an original anime, you can at least expect the writers to create a finished, self-contained story with an actual ending. With adaptations (manga adaptations in particular), you just have to hope that they can find a good stopping point in an ongoing manga to create a satisfying conclusion, and on the rare occasion that the end of an anime coincides with the end of the manga, you just have to hope that they mangaka was able and allowed to actually write a satisfying conclusion (most manga cancellations seem to boil down to, "your popularity dropped below X%, you've got three chapters to wrap this poo poo up").

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Remembering how Masamune-kun's Revenge ended abruptly on a karaoke episode despite showing strong signs of progress throughout... I really liked the premise for that one too, it was funny.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ccs posted:

so much western tv and comic books (and more recently film) refuse to end at all, whatsoever, so depends what you mean

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
we'll see if you still like porgs after Star Wars Episode 27

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
IME anime doesn't have the, forever escalating always written with another season in mind thing that the only western tv show I've watched recently (Orphan Black) had. helps that most things are single cour now.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Wark Say posted:

I don't think anyone is as salty about Negima ending as Akamatsu himself, though.

True that.

I just looked him up to see how that poor bastard's doing only to find that he wrote a sequel I guess??? Is UQ Holder! any good at all?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:omarcomin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

Sometimes, my problem isn't so much with endings, but with shows/movies/comics that often force me to think "Why is this still going?".

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Fullmetal Alchemist's hard right-turn of an ending because it ended before the manga was close to being finished deserves a mention.

Alchemy is powered by deaths in a parallel world! That world is our world and the rise in alchemical power coincides with the massive deathtoll of WW1. Then the blonde-haired blue-eyed protagonist gets sent there in time for a movie.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Shortest Path posted:

True that.

I just looked him up to see how that poor bastard's doing only to find that he wrote a sequel I guess??? Is UQ Holder! any good at all?
I haven't followed it after some rear end in a top hat on reddit spoiled me on several things about it and Negima characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elfface posted:

Fullmetal Alchemist's hard right-turn of an ending because it ended before the manga was close to being finished deserves a mention.

Alchemy is powered by deaths in a parallel world! That world is our world and the rise in alchemical power coincides with the massive deathtoll of WW1. Then the blonde-haired blue-eyed protagonist gets sent there in time for a movie.
Eh, that's kind of a separate issue, and all of FMA 2003's original stuff was written with the original author's approval and fits into the director and writer's wheelhouses. I'm not the world's biggest fan of it but I wouldn't call it stuff made up on the fly or a bad ending or anything.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ed's eyes aren't blue.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think FMA 2003 is definitely inferior to the manga/brotherhood but I also think it's kind of interesting as a thing that takes the original premise and characters and goes in a different direction with them

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm saying FMA 2003 is the first route of the FMA visual novel

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if anything wouldnt it be the last route

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nagatoto's phone is simply :3:

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

the last route is the one where Alphonse looks in a mirror and does not see what he expects to see

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-840keiiFDE

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Motto posted:

Ed's eyes aren't blue.

Hazel, right?
I ain't googling poo poo.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Sonic's arms aren't blue.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

be careful who u bully

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
who bullies the bully?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

The Dark Souls of F/SN.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

who bullies the bully?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Elfface posted:

Yeah the FMA 2003 ending was a special kind of stupid but I remember hearing it was planned from the beginning cause they knew the manga was far from over.

To me Big O had the most disappointing ending. They got a second season after so long to finally wrap things up and then...it still didn't in any satisfying way.

Honorable mentions include Samurai Deeper Kyo and Eden of the East.

I just remembered the Gungrave anime which I think did have a cool ending. Haven't thought about that show in forever.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 23, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Her friends are good, and should not be judged for their lazy eyes.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Oh wow all of Gungrave is on youtube legally for free. This series is like Berserk if the villain didn't cross one crucial threshold that makes him completely irredeemable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoPw7WwbD-M&list=ELlKz9XCKB8Yk

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I kinda actually prefer the wackiness of the explanation of alchemy in the 2003 version to the kinda bland "blah blah seismic energy" explanation in Brotherhood. The 2003 version seemed like a reasonable (if genre defying) extension of already known facts (human souls making the philosopher's stone) whereas introducing 'safe' Eastern alchemy is kinda unnecessary.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Wark Say posted:

I haven't followed it after some rear end in a top hat on reddit spoiled me on several things about it and Negima characters.

the best parts of uq holder aren't lore/plot reveals. the best parts are all of Kirie's scenes, which are experienced through cute blushing faces and tsundere developments. text posts on reddit cant match that

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh my gosh

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

she seems nice

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Zombie teacher is trying hard

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hang in there, zombie teacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i cannot imagine anything about gungrave being good after they got into the dumbass vampire portion of the show. the mafia stuff is good albeit not very visually interesting