Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Darchangel posted:

And of all printers, Zebra label printers are the worst. They have almost literally no competition in their usage space, so they just keep making the same poo poo printer with the same poo poo firmware forever.

I kind of half-agree. We have a large fleet of Zebra mobile direct thermal printers. Physically they are generally bullet proof and just always work, and rarely ever break. However configuring them is a massive pain in the rear end. Requiring a bunch of cryptic commands in 2 different languages, and putting them into a "AUTOEXEC.BAT" file which is uploaded to the printer. And often the same configuration command has slightly different results across printers, even though they are the same part number.

I also briefly had a stint writing software to talk to them, and holy poo poo... There are no less than 3 different languages they speak. ZPL, the modern language, can do nearly everything, but the older language called CPCL can and has to sometimes be used interchangeably as some functions are only available in it. ZPL is fairly cryptic being a bunch of 2 letter command codes with options following them. And CPCL is almost like writing in Basic. The 3rd language, called EPL, I never used thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
So how far would you say you've carried a printer?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

nullfunction posted:

It depends. How cute is she?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Anyone ever done Konica Minolta LDAP, I'm trying to see if I can automate the saved boxes to sync with the AD groups so I don't have to manually update them all the time.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
gently caress every printer.

In other news, is anyone at NetApp Insight this week? A bullet-free event so far this year!

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Aunt Beth posted:

gently caress every printer.

In other news, is anyone at NetApp Insight this week? A bullet-free event so far this year!

wow, it's been a whole year already? where does life slip away to?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

wow, it's been a whole year already? where does life slip away to?

It melts into a puddle of tears, toner, and whiskey.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I had a fun time printing labels today. I got scared that I broke the whole thing. It's like bc I got a job in IT where I don't use ANYTHING I learned in my A+ or Net+, I completely forgot how to react when I needed those skills.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Kashuno posted:

how do y'all quantify stuff for your resume that is more technical in nature? I am updating my resume and I have some great projects that I can be like "Implemented and deployed mobile weight tracking for pallets, saving the company over 250k/yr in freight costs" but also stuff like "Oversaw migration of 30 servers from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2016" which doesn't have quite as quantifiable a value. I know having numbers on my resume is great but I am struggling how to tie numbers into things like that. Is it useful to even tie numbers to that?

The last 'So, you've been made redundant' course I went on was a few years back now, but in the CV info they went through they said it was better to show what happened and why, eg:

I helped/did/oversaw:
- a thing
Which included:
- stuff getting changed
The result being:
- positive points

so, something like:

I oversaw:
- the migration of 30 servers from x to y
which included:
- working closley with my team / hands on troublshooting / testing / QA / sign off etc
The result:
- keeping th company up to date, ensuring compliant security patches, better user experience, money saved in less downtime / support contracts

and so on.

This advice could be woefully out of date now, but it's what I've still got on my CV and while i'm not currently job searching, I get a steady stream of recruitment emails daily.

cheers :)

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Darchangel posted:

And of all printers, Zebra label printers are the worst. They have almost literally no competition in their usage space, so they just keep making the same poo poo printer with the same poo poo firmware forever.

please tell there is a replacement out there, we have zp450, zt410 and zt230s, and i hate all of them.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

spiny posted:

The last 'So, you've been made redundant' course I went on was a few years back now, but in the CV info they went through they said it was better to show what happened and why, eg:

I helped/did/oversaw:
- a thing
Which included:
- stuff getting changed
The result being:
- positive points

so, something like:

I oversaw:
- the migration of 30 servers from x to y
which included:
- working closley with my team / hands on troublshooting / testing / QA / sign off etc
The result:
- keeping th company up to date, ensuring compliant security patches, better user experience, money saved in less downtime / support contracts

and so on.

This advice could be woefully out of date now, but it's what I've still got on my CV and while i'm not currently job searching, I get a steady stream of recruitment emails daily.

cheers :)
STAR-oriented resumes are great, but "oversaw" is an absolutely useless word and you should never put it on a resume FWIW

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Granted I’m not in a position that looks at resumes, I feel like if you have any sort of decent formatting and STAR method points you’re going to be better than 90% of the garbage that’s sent in. Resume writing is a skill that is so so important but there is a laughable amount of training on it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vulture Culture posted:

STAR-oriented resumes are great, but "oversaw" is an absolutely useless word and you should never put it on a resume FWIW

“oversaw” always sounds passive and vague to me.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Vulture Culture posted:

'project managed' better ?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

spiny posted:

'project managed' better ?

Unless you actually had people reporting to you, I'd prefer to see something like "Primary Lead on project X"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Proteus Jones posted:

“oversaw” always sounds passive and vague to me.

“Posted on the forums while others”

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I always say in interviews that I stay up to date on the latest developments in my relevant disciplines but what I mean is that I just read which products IT goons complain about the most. Which ends up being every product, bunch of whiney bitches

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Sepist posted:

I always say in interviews that I stay up to date on the latest developments in my relevant disciplines but what I mean is that I just read which products IT goons complain about the most. Which ends up being every product, bunch of whiney bitches

"The people I network recommend that everything is poo poo actually, and we just pick the least lovely for this particular task. However, do note that whatever we decide it will be lovely and someone will always try and sell us on something else being less lovely"

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

"I keep up with industry trends by signing up for the newsletter at my local liquor store"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Docjowles posted:

"I keep up with industry trends by signing up for the newsletter at my local liquor store"
I have cleaned every local liquor store out of their stock of Apothic Inferno for this year

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales, I see you posting in other threads, how is your new job?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone ever think that printers being universally lovely might be proof of simulated reality?

Like, some advanced intelligence wanted to see what would happen if culturally primitive humans developed technology far in advance of what happened historically, so they had to intentionally sabotage all printers to ensure that Richard Stallman would get super pissed off at them and pioneer the open source movement.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

God loving drat there were a lot of frustratingly dense people to deal with today.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Vulture Culture posted:

I have cleaned every local liquor store out of their stock of Apothic Inferno for this year

I did the same thing with my local store and their supply of High West Yippee Ki-Yay. I bought a bottle every time I walked in until it was gone. I regret nothing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

nullfunction posted:

.4 miles - HP Laserjet Pro M477 FDN
By choice though. I took the long route by way of Starbucks. The thing JUST BARELY fit through the door.
Thank goodness it did because I would have looked really silly getting stuck in a door of a Starbucks with a printer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Fool posted:

Bob Morales, I see you posting in other threads, how is your new job?

Okay so far. But it's only been a week and two days.

It's about 4 times larger of a company and we have over 10 people in IT. Manager is a military background guy who's been there 25 years so my being older is helpful.

I've heard some silly anti-Microsoft and anti-object-oriented-programming rants but nothing too crazy.

I haven't been on much since I can't hit the board from work because of pretty strict firewall rules and such, plus we can't even have our phones out. We do a lot of proprietary metal work with robots and they are afraid of people STEALING THEIR SECRETS. But we do have vending machines...

Crazy stuff:
Their ERP system is home grown with the front end in MICROSOFT ACCESS (the data is in MySQL, however)
There's a domain controller but they don't use it
No antivirus
Everyone is admin
All servers are physical
There's a guest VLAN but all the phones are on a physically separate network
All the IP's are static
Some weird email server called Kerio
Only about 10 people have email on their phones and only 4 people have VPN access
All the ERP/Access stuff is in Visual Source Safe but there are some Python and PHP apps that are not under version control, are manually deployed, no test environment...

Right now I'm working on some .DXF file parsing poo poo and documenting anything I come across that's weird. Today I took two of the programmers, installed Gitlab on a local server and we're going to put their poo poo in it tomorrow.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jesus Christ.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Kerio is an absolutely hilarious dog poo poo email server, very popular with Apple shops before Gmail came along, and it should have died in 2008.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

very stable genius posted:

I did the same thing with my local store and their supply of High West Yippee Ki-Yay. I bought a bottle every time I walked in until it was gone. I regret nothing.
I literally just walked up to the register with the entire stock

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

Okay so far.

You say that but then you say other things that don't match up to that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sickening posted:

You say that but then you say other things that don't match up to that.

You’d think it would be a dumpster fire but everything appears to work fine with no emergencies

I’m trusting the process, but still very skeptical. Worst case I fix some stuff up

Lol

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

Crazy stuff:
Their ERP system is home grown with the front end in MICROSOFT ACCESS (the data is in MySQL, however)
No antivirus
Everyone is admin
All servers are physical
All the IP's are static
Only about 10 people have email on their phones and only 4 people have VPN access
All the ERP/Access stuff is in Visual Source Safe but there are some Python and PHP apps that are not under version control, are manually deployed, no test environment...

This sounds extremely on par for a machine shop I interviewed for 6 months ago. It seems machine / electrical engineers thought they could do IT by themselves, computers are no different from machines or electrical systems after all!

They get poo poo to work as is, but the second one item needs to be upgraded the whole thing collapses.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Docjowles posted:

I'm on week 5 of my 6 weeks no drinking bet. Done wonders for my health and pants size but I do look forward to next week when I'm allowed to have a real beer again.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Bob Morales posted:

Crazy stuff:
No antivirus
Everyone is admin
All servers are physical
All the IP's are static

Right now I'm working on some .DXF file parsing poo poo and documenting anything I come across that's weird. Today I took two of the programmers, installed Gitlab on a local server and we're going to put their poo poo in it tomorrow.

Posts like this remind me of car builder shows on the Discovery Channel- the ones where they discover a rusted out shell of a 34 Ford in a barn and turn it into a hot rod.

Remove/repair rust
Box the frame
Rebuild engine / beefy tranny
Bigger brakes
Tires/wheels/shocks/suspension
Add EFI / Supercharger
Chrome the trim
Paint

I get the same feeling when I build a tidy AD/DNS/DHCP architecture on a brand new VM with healthy cables from desktop to switch.

Order from chaos. Order from chaos.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Our open concept floor plan is becoming even more open concept. No assigned desks, managers dont get offices.

Edit: oh yea. If you need a place to store personal space you can grab a free locker. 3:1 over subscription :v:

Sepist fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 24, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Welcome to the Thunder Dome

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

Sepist posted:

Our open concept floor plan is becoming even more open concept. No assigned desks, managers dont get offices.

Edit: oh yea. If you need a place to store personal space you can grab a free locker. 3:1 over subscription :v:

Hopefully this is the "Double-Down" phase of the Fantastically Bad Idea Cycle, and will be followed soon with Realization and then Collapse. I haven't figured out all of the other stages yet, but one of the early ones is "Someone Allows Potentially Dangerous Information to Reach Management"

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
*a steering committee of 20 people are feeding dangerous information to management

My favorite one is the steering committee voted no on pumping ambient music through the floor and management said nah gently caress it were gonna try it anyway. What is the point of democracy

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Sepist posted:

*a steering committee of 20 people are feeding dangerous information to management

My favorite one is the steering committee voted no on pumping ambient music through the floor and management said nah gently caress it were gonna try it anyway. What is the point of democracy

Who ever said it was a democracy? The steering committee is there so management has people that agree with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Current length of conference call for a rediculous prod push.