Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1054483806864912384

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was seriously tempted to spoil my ballot just to write "gently caress you you nazi gently caress" on Faith Goldy's name.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I hope you didn't because it's not like she's a scrutineer.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You could probably have done both to be honest. It says only to mark in the box, but even if you draw all over the thing, it'll usually still be counted as long as the vote intention is clear.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

It’s amusing to vote for Erica Kelly every election. Poor girl doesn’t stand a chance in Etobicoke centre but I admire her gumption.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I voted an hour ago in Sudbury. Everything was fine, but the weird moment (there has to be a weird moment, I think it's in the Charter) was when the guy entering my details into the computer - yes I moved here less than 4 years ago - got to the point to decide who I can vote for for school district.
"Roman Catholic, or not?"
"Uh, no."
"OK! Public school board then." *double click*

I'm slowly reading a book about the history of Ontario, and there's a pretty good description of the political environment in this province 130 years ago when language and religion were major political issues here. The legacy is that we have segregated voting.

I ended up picking the more interesting name of the two candidates for school board in my ward, because I don't have kids and don't give a drat about the school system except that it continues to function reasonably well. I do not think any individual school board person has enough power to seriously gently caress up a bunch of kids, but I guess I could be wrong and mine might be the vote that launches K. St. Jean's meteoric rise to Grand Overlord, Conqueror of Nickel Belt and Scourge of North Bay.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'm registered to vote in the public system but I declined to vote for trustee because I haven't been following the TDSB race and I don't have any kids, so I figured it was better to just skip it than introduce randomness to the process.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

About that $2.6B loan to Chrysler the government quietly wrote off...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/chrysler-auto-loan-canada-account-write-off-edc-bailout-taxpayer-wudrick-milke-1.4871648

Can someone explain to me how and why we allow Chrysler to sell cars and make profits in Canada?

Literally Windsor, ON.

Just imagining Windsor which has already been the Unemployment Capital of Canada before, the idea of Chrysler leaving is just sad. Just about the whole town is propped up by Chrysler. The wages and benefits from those jobs keep the community afloat.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 23, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Maybe just picking a random school board candidate is a lovely idea and you should either do your research or reject/spoil the ballot, regardless of whether you have kids that will be personally affected.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Went straight to vote after work. Was a 20 minute line which consisted of like 80% people my age (under 40). The guy said its been like that all day, which was honestly kind of refreshing to hear after the nightmare that was the provincial election and me being the only person under the age of 70 at the polling booth all day.

Weird moment when a lady behind me started complaining to her friend that its pointless for her to vote for a school board since her kids are home schooled and really why should she pay taxes for other peoples kids. :downs:

So to spite her I voted for the school board nominee that wants to tell parents their kids cant attend school if they arent vaccinated (medical exemptions only). :unsmigghh:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

lol
https://twitter.com/PatriceRoyTJ/status/1054487970974117889

"I think it'd be pretty hard to get the toothpaste back in the tube. [...] I'm not saying we won't walk back legalisation, but let's be realistic it'd be hard."

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pinterest Mom posted:

"I think it'd be pretty hard to get the toothpaste back in the tube. [...] I'm not saying we won't walk back legalisation, but let's be realistic it'd be hard."

a realistic opinion

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Furnaceface posted:

So to spite her I voted for the school board nominee that wants to tell parents their kids cant attend school if they arent vaccinated (medical exemptions only). :unsmigghh:

Thought that was already a thing in Ontario

E: it is required unless you get an exemption for conscience, so not really required at all

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 23, 2018

chupacabraj
Nov 4, 2009
Our election in Sudbury won't end until tomorrow due to some computer issues. We are completely online this year. Any other municipality experiencing the same?

The election here feels like its been going on forever because of some piss poor urban planning decisions made last year that is still going through LPAT. I want this to be over with.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
It's hilarious to watch the CPC twist themselves into pretzels to do everything but admit they won't roll back legalization.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

CBC Toronto: “Nothing happening in Toronto so let’s go check in with cities that actually have their poo poo together...”

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Oh nevermind results are coming in finally

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ZeeBoi posted:

CBC Toronto: “Nothing happening in Toronto so let’s go check in with cities that actually have their poo poo together...”

This actually made me laugh.

e:
"Technical difficulties have forced multiple municipalities across the region to extend voting for an extra day.

Here is a list of the municipalities that will have polling open until 8 p.m. on Tuesday:

Bracebridge
Muskoka Lakes
Innisfil
Gravenhurst
Collingwood
Georgian Bay
Bradford West Gwillimbury
Owen Sound
Huntsville
Penetanguishene
Town of Blue Mountains
Lake of Bays
Oro-Medonte
Springwate"

So its a poo poo show everywhere.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/cselley/status/1054528873981915138
https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/1054528286712385536

https://twitter.com/dril/status/568056615355740160

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Tory is still in. Good that the nazi with no chance didn't make it.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Faith Goldy in third place out of 35 candidates lol. Sort yourselves out Toronto. Our Nazi didn't even break top 10

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CBC doesn't have a breakdown of the "Other" mayors and I'm kind of curious how much the nazi got.

Also from my ward:

nice

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Over 21,000 Nazi sympathizers smh

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

CBC doesn't have a breakdown of the "Other" mayors and I'm kind of curious how much the nazi got.

Also from my ward:

nice
full results here: https://electionresults.toronto.ca

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Thanks

I should have expected there to be so many nazis but I am still disappointed

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
22k nazis in a city that big isn't as bad as expected

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Haha Goldy went to loving Havergal, aka the 2nd highest end all girls private school in Toronto.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

Thanks

I should have expected there to be so many nazis but I am still disappointed

The important thing we have a nice solid metric now.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Goldy got more votes than Saron? That's hosed

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
My wife and I voted in municipal, and when we didn’t know who to vote we voted for the best sounding name, mostly women. Take that politics :kheldragar:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Arivia posted:

I voted in Hamilton. Hamilton don't gently caress up your chance at actual working public transportation and infrastructure tia

Oh God, here's hoping. Sgro is a loathsome turd and I read somewhere today that he s dating Donna Skelly. Repugnant!

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

loving hell, Toronto

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MA-Horus posted:

Haha Goldy went to loving Havergal, aka the 2nd highest end all girls private school in Toronto.

People like her always come from these kinds of backgrounds.

The guy I voted for in my ward won, he has the whitest name ever, Brad Bradford, but he was endoresed by my queer friend who is married to a queer woman of colour, so I took that as a good sign he was not a nazi.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

twistedmentat posted:

People like her always come from these kinds of backgrounds.

The guy I voted for in my ward won, he has the whitest name ever, Brad Bradford, but he was endoresed by my queer friend who is married to a queer woman of colour, so I took that as a good sign he was not a nazi.

Just a John Tory puppet.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Eat poo poo Rose Romita. Obligatory :lol: Ram Faerber.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thank you for not electing the nazi, Toronto.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thank you for not electing the nazi, Toronto.

Instead we elected the guy who employs a far-right piece of poo poo as his campaign manager time and time again.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

Instead we elected the guy who employs a far-right piece of poo poo as his campaign manager time and time again.

Tbf I don't know a single thing about John Tory other than he's probably a tory based on his name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Lobok posted:

https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/1054537649514573831