Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

My favorite part was when Dr. Who ended racism by addressing it's true cause: evil space aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Who What Now posted:

My favorite part was when Dr. Who ended racism by addressing it's true cause: soviet russia.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

my favorite part is that the big climatic victory of the lib power fantasy that is doctor who is getting to be there as rosa parks gets arrested but not doing anything about it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

at some point, a tv show or movie will do something so beyond the pale to endear itself to the wokes that not even that crowd will like it

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

get that OUT of my face posted:

at some point, a tv show or movie will do something so beyond the pale to endear itself to the wokes that not even that crowd will like it

lmao if you dont think they will double down even harder

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brother Entropy posted:

my favorite part is that the big climatic victory of the lib power fantasy that is doctor who is getting to be there as rosa parks gets arrested but not doing anything about it

lmfao this is too perfect

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

"The Doctor HAD to invent racism so we could learn to overcome it, and that's beautiful."

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Clawtopsy posted:

people are going to get tired of this poo poo at some point, the over-the-top articles declaring their importance aren't going to get as many clicks, and entertainment will evolve in kind. that's what i keep telling myself, but this didn't start under trump and it's not going to end after he's gone

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!
It won't stop until it no longer bears the entire weight of legitimizing the status quo and serving to attack any alternative from the right, or more importantly, the left.

So basically, when the bodies of the rich are being buried.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

It won't stop until it no longer bears the entire weight of legitimizing the status quo and serving to attack any alternative from the right, or more importantly, the left.

So basically, when the bodies of the rich are being buried.
george orwell wrote about the precursor to wokeness back in the 1930s, when the world's political situation was worse than it is now. we need another world war to get our poo poo in order

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

people are going to get tired of this poo poo at some point, the over-the-top articles declaring their importance aren't going to get as many clicks, and entertainment will evolve in kind. that's what i keep telling myself, but this didn't start under trump and it's not going to end after he's gone

the larger problem is the slow death of legacy media

woke branding is one of the only ways anyone has been able to come up with to get people thirty and younger to exchange money for media product, and the number of investors content to put their money in a product whose growth prospects are minimal is somewhere in the low zero range.

the only way you will see an evolution is if something else gets them to start paying.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

woke branding is one of the only ways anyone has been able to come up with to get people thirty and younger to exchange money for media product, and the number of investors content to put their money in a product whose growth prospects are minimal is somewhere in the low zero range.

the only way you will see an evolution is if something else gets them to start paying.

y'all mind if i...

institute a universal productivity wage and ubi indexed to it??????

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

R. Dieovich posted:

y'all mind if i...

institute a universal productivity wage and ubi indexed to it??????

god, can you imagine how easy it must have been to be a marketing exec in the 90s

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

so our generation likes pandering bullshit even if it's as subtle as being smacked in the face with a hammer. if that isn't an indictment against the "millennials are the most progressive generation" line, idk what is

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Clawtopsy posted:

who's politics has been something at least something awful's fanbase just kind of puts up with instead of excuses, like many other aspects. It's a very neoliberal show with a pacifist anti-war protagonist who is a learned traveller, but a lot of the writers does not really understand political concepts deeply.

Two seasons ago there was a two-parter with shapeshifting aliens that was basically an allegory for Britain's immigration issues that had the Doctor telling them to just suck it up, and it pissed a lot of people off. So this is not even the worst that has happened on the show.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

so our generation likes pandering bullshit even if it's as subtle as being smacked in the face with a hammer. if that isn't an indictment against the "millennials are the most progressive generation" line, idk what is

people don't like feeling powerless and large companies getting mildly better about social issues is the closest thing we can point to as any kind of societal improvement

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

look on the bright side, blatantly pandering to us involves a lot less pretending Patrick Bateman was an icon to aspire to than our predecessors

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
didnt one british show have a time traveller be the sniper on the grassy knoll

chappelle's show shouldve been him shooting slaveowners all day

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!

The people who care most about "generations" are also the ones who characterize people largely in terms of how best to market things to them.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

people don't like feeling powerless and large companies getting mildly better about social issues is the closest thing we can point to as any kind of societal improvement
you're not wrong, but when we accept woke brands as a net good, it's certainly not going to bring about the revolution that we all seem to think is going to happen when boomer death starts happening en masse

got any sevens posted:

chappelle's show was an example of doing "comedy with a message" well

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

got any sevens posted:

Yeah, Red Dwarf, and if I recall correctly, they accidentally knock Lee Harvey Oswald out of a window while he's preparing to shoot JFK. The future becomes terrible because of JFK's persistent womanizing (lol). Then they tell JFK about his proud legacy in the normal timeline and convince JFK to go back in time to shoot himself from the grassy knoll.

Edit: and I don't remember anyone getting in a tizzy about this episode

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
probably because red dwarf was basically parody and not trying to have a woke social message op

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

got any sevens posted:

it was also something gene roddenberry had wanted to make a star trek episode out of for years. the second gunman was going to turn out to be spock.

they forcibly dragged the script away from him and rewrote the hell out of it, so that it was just a story about how you had to kill a cute lady pacifist in order to save the world from hitler, but that only shut him up for a little bit. evidently he kept on proposing they shoot that episode the way he wanted to shoot it until the day he died.

woke branding has come a ways since the sixties

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it was also something gene roddenberry had wanted to make a star trek episode out of for years. the second gunman was going to turn out to be spock.

they forcibly dragged the script away from him and rewrote the hell out of it, so that it was just a story about how you had to kill a cute lady pacifist in order to save the world from hitler, but that only shut him up for a little bit. evidently he kept on proposing they shoot that episode the way he wanted to shoot it until the day he died.

that's astonishingly tone deaf

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

that's astonishingly tone deaf

look on the bright side, when someone makes a superhero story where Adjective Noun ends up being tangentially responsible for the death of Heather Heyer, you will know there's precedent

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

jfk sucked big time but how do you not see the terrible optics of doing that only a couple years after it happened

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

R. Dieovich posted:

jfk sucked big time but how do you not see the terrible optics of doing that only a couple years after it happened

Oh dear, The Optics.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

R. Dieovich posted:

That makes it cooler, they should have let him do it lmao

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

R. Dieovich posted:

be gene roddenberry, basically

he's an excellent study in early wokeness, tbf. guy was absolutely trying his best to be an advocate for progressive causes, but being a white guy in a position of power in hollywood in the 1960s meant all those good impulses were being filtered through some real galaxy brain poo poo before they came out.

no, really, it'll be great for the nation if we can pretend Leonard Nimoy is the reason we'll never have any closure on JFK

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also his brain had most of it's energy devoted to thinking about boning

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

i did say white guy in position of power in hollywood during the 1960s, yes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Waves and waves of cum exploding out of me (in a comic Irish accent)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Waves and waves of cum exploding out of me (in a comic Irish accent)

on tonight's episode of Deep Space Nine, Chief O'Brian gets trapped in yet another bizarre alien torture plot. i'll be real with you we've started running out of ideas for them at this point.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Oh dear, The Optics.

what a weird way to read that post

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

on tonight's episode of Deep Space Nine, Chief O'Brian gets trapped in yet another bizarre alien torture plot. i'll be real with you we've started running out of ideas for them at this point.

Maybe Keiko got possessed by a demon again

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

i did say white guy in position of power in hollywood during the 1960s, yes

Even by those standards

He had two entrances to his office. One for his wife, and one for his girlfriend who he had put up in an apartment nearby. One time they nearly walked in St the same time while he was about to gently caress his secretary

He also told someone on the show about the dangers of going back to front and how the woman had a hell of an infection now

Completely unprompted

He literally thought about nothing but loving

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Troi nearly had four tits

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Troi nearly had four tits

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Megera posted:

Yeah, Red Dwarf, and if I recall correctly, they accidentally knock Lee Harvey Oswald out of a window while he's preparing to shoot JFK. The future becomes terrible because of JFK's persistent womanizing (lol). Then they tell JFK about his proud legacy in the normal timeline and convince JFK to go back in time to shoot himself from the grassy knoll.

Edit: and I don't remember anyone getting in a tizzy about this episode

lol lister calls him "that american king"

that episode also featured cannibalism