Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SettingSun posted:

Stealing expensive things to sell is the main way to make money late game. Also, it's a good way to get some of the rarer crafting ingredients.

At that point you have access to Hallelujah, meaning you can earily farm some Bunny Tail accessories which will result in a lot of chests dropping from regular encounters (toss on the school uniforms for even more drop rates).

Hallelujah is guaranteed rare drops (3 max) vs single item stealing too, and the hero/erik pep-up uses Erik's regular steal rate for his rare steal rate so it's still hard to get rare drops with it unless you have a lot of Deftness and +steal gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So is everyone using guides to find the crossbow targets? I just got Rab and Jade and only completed one area so far. Some of these feel pretty mean lol, I sense no rhyme or reason to them but the rewards are too good to pass up. Maybe this is more of a postgame activity.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I am absolutely loving this (very early Act 2 spoilers) emotional melodrama between Lost His Confidence Hendrik and Ostentatious Dark Mage Teleporting Around The Room Jasper

I'm constantly surprised and consistently pleased with the writing in this game

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rookersh posted:

So Act 2. Just got Sylvando and am heading up to the mountain Carnelian wants me to check out.

If I want Jade and Rab whats the best way to do that? Is it just going to come from these core story beats, or do I need to go someplace specific.

You CAN kinda break sequence a little bit but not in a way that will get you a character sooner(outside of Sylvando and Rab who can be grabbed in either order, you can't move on to the rest until you get both though)

just use party chat/pay attention during cutscenes and go where your pals suggest you to go, and don't bother with gondolia/galliopolis/hotto until everyone's back together(though gondolia is selling some pretty high-tier(but very expensive) stuff if you want to be cheeky about it)

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 21, 2018

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Yinlock posted:

You CAN kinda break sequence a little bit but not in a way that will get you a character sooner(outside of Sylvando and Rab who can be grabbed in either order, you can't move on to the rest until you get both though)

just use party chat/pay attention during cutscenes and go where your pals suggest you to go, and don't bother with gondolia/galliopolis/hotto until everyone's back together(though gondolia is selling some pretty high-tier(but very expensive) stuff if you want to be cheeky about it)

Yeah, I already saw that Sniflheim is blocked, so I need to get the Harp/Serena to get back there. Didn't bother going down to Gondolia so I don't know what their issue is yet either.

I wonder what happens if you try to use the Door of Departure in the Emerald Coast to skip ahead to Hotto?

I'm also wondering, now that I know all quests can be completed regardless of Act, what happens if you don't do the "Get the books on the two greatest knights!" quest in Heliodor early. Like if I save that till postgame do I just show the dude Hendrick. Wonder if it changes at all.

The quality of a lot of this character building stuff is crazy. This games writing is way better then it needs to be. I do like however that everyone is currently getting great "I learned a new thing/got better/solved my demons!" arc that culminates in a new tree.
Except Sylvando. Sylvando is already perfect.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Ofecks posted:

Nope, no patch for that one. I imagine someone somewhere was working on it until the DS port was released, which looks a hell of a lot better than the DQ7 engine. Additionally, DS has a high-quality official translation (plus or minus the wild phonetic accents).

However, you may be interested to know that DQ5 PS2 has an english patch! It's essentially the same game as the DS port minus the ability to marry an additional character (some would say this character is the best choice of spouse). It uses the engine of one of the Torneko roguelikes. Nowhere near as pretty as DQ8 but it serves its purpose OK. Not sure how the patch came to be completed, but it may have been conjecture that DQ5DS wouldn't be brought over. And now no one plays it (except for speedrunners) because DS is the definitive version.

That is rather surprising. I'm quite a DQ fan and I do own 4-9 on the DS, but my RPG backlog is ludicrous even not counting DQ games. I assume that there is an English patch for the SFC version of 5 and 6 as well, but that's not on my radar right now. Currently I am playing the mobile version of DQ2, then I'm going to play the SFC version of 3 as I have never played anything but the NES version, which I adore. Since the mobile version is essentially the SFC version with less features, I see no reason to play it. Frankly, mobile controls are a mixed bag for me... I really like touch controls in combat, but moving around is frustrating. I just went through the Cave to Rhone, which is much easier in the remakes compared to the NES original, but I kept falling down pits that I knew were there because of the touch controls.

After 2 and 3 SFC, I want to play through 4 on the NES as I've never been past chapter 1 or perhaps 4 on the DS. I know that everyone raves about party chat in the mobile version, but I'll have to make do without.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Deified Data posted:

So is everyone using guides to find the crossbow targets? I just got Rab and Jade and only completed one area so far. Some of these feel pretty mean lol, I sense no rhyme or reason to them but the rewards are too good to pass up. Maybe this is more of a postgame activity.
Honestly, I haven't been bothering so far. I got 4/5 of the targets by the Warrior's Rest on my own, so I looked up the last one and finished off that area, but the reward was just a couple of seeds or something. Neat, but not worth the effort IMO.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
My prior complaints about difficulty are withdrawn in light of Tatsunaga 2, at a level most of you said you finished Act 2 on normal. I def went in with the B team and no leaves on most fighters, but 5/7 of my team got downed

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Rookersh posted:

I wonder what happens if you try to use the Door of Departure in the Emerald Coast to skip ahead to Hotto?

You can't; Act 2 disables it for the entire duration.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

King Bahamut posted:

My prior complaints about difficulty are withdrawn in light of Tatsunaga 2, at a level most of you said you finished Act 2 on normal. I def went in with the B team and no leaves on most fighters, but 5/7 of my team got downed

Probably one of the hardest bosses in the game depending on your levels.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, I just used a guide for it just to have it done. I'm gonna tell you now, they've got targets on a bunch of those little islands too. I never would've known if didn't look at that.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ofecks posted:

Nope, no patch for that one. I imagine someone somewhere was working on it until the DS port was released, which looks a hell of a lot better than the DQ7 engine. Additionally, DS has a high-quality official translation (plus or minus the wild phonetic accents).

However, you may be interested to know that DQ5 PS2 has an english patch! It's essentially the same game as the DS port minus the ability to marry an additional character (some would say this character is the best choice of spouse). It uses the engine of one of the Torneko roguelikes. Nowhere near as pretty as DQ8 but it serves its purpose OK. Not sure how the patch came to be completed, but it may have been conjecture that DQ5DS wouldn't be brought over. And now no one plays it (except for speedrunners) because DS is the definitive version.

does it have the DS version's amazing party chat where every character has something to say about each individual npc's lines

King Bahamut posted:

yeah I got rocked by him too on hard, that boss doesn't give a gently caress how overleveled you are since his sap claws tank your defense anyway and some insane madman decided to give him 3 actions per turn

Deified Data posted:

the crossbow rewards' usefulness are directly proportional to how early you do them, the reward for hitting every single one is either amazing or completely useless depending on how far along you are

the pep pips are always aces though since they're more-or-less impossible to get outside of quests until act 3

e: of course just as a delightful "gently caress you for making the effort" a liquid metal slime dropped a copy of the crossbow reward right after i got it

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 22, 2018

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I fired up 6 and you can't fool me this is literally just Erik

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Erik isn’t ripped as hell like Patrick/Six though.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Tatsunaga 2 was rough until I equipped Fire Resist Earrings and kept Blunt x2 on him at all times. Easy fight after that.

Fortress of Fear spoilers:

Jasper and now Mordegon are giving me headaches on Super Strong Enemies though. Sap and Blunt fail way more often than feels fair. Too many wasted turns there and you just lose the race.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

please tell me I'm not the only one who wiped due to absent-mindedly casting omniheal in the fight where healing damages you

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

U-DO Burger posted:

please tell me I'm not the only one who wiped due to absent-mindedly casting omniheal in the fight where healing damages you

In retrospect, it was perhaps short-sighted to set the Sage's Stone to "Full Auto"

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

U-DO Burger posted:

if Mordegon had just kept on being a wizard instead of what he transforms into at the end Act 1, he'd be a lot more dangerous, IMO

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

U-DO Burger posted:

I put up Rab's regen spell and basically put myself on a clock, that was pretty great. Don't even think you can rez in that fight.

Apparently you can disable that mechanic too but I didn't know that at the time. No idea if that was true.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

U-DO Burger posted:

I cast Multiheal like an idiot, but I still managed to win.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Man, the emotional punch of the Mermaid quest was kinda spoiled for me by some dire voice acting. There's not too much of it in the game IMO but it seemed there was more on Lonalulu. I think the main cast is so good that when you run across someone like Vince or Kai it's jarring.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

lol gently caress you Act 3

veronica should've stayed dead

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Iverron posted:

lol gently caress you Act 3

veronica should've stayed dead

she did

Iverron
May 13, 2012

:vince:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Deified Data posted:

Man, the emotional punch of the Mermaid quest was kinda spoiled for me by some dire voice acting. There's not too much of it in the game IMO but it seemed there was more on Lonalulu. I think the main cast is so good that when you run across someone like Vince or Kai it's jarring.

Vince kicks rear end, I wish he was a member of the party

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

JustJeff88 posted:

I assume that there is an English patch for the SFC version of 5 and 6 as well, but that's not on my radar right now.

There are two different complete ones for 5, but I can't recommend the SFC original in good faith because the DS/mobile version exists, which, at the very least, allows for a 4th party member (max was 3 in SFC) and various other improvements. 6, on the other hand, has a 90% complete patch that hasn't been updated in 17 years. It is playable all the way through, but some NPC dialog and battle text will appear as gibberish. Again, the definitive version of 6 is the DS/mobile remake.

JustJeff88 posted:

I really like touch controls in combat, but moving around is frustrating.

Same, I've been playing DQ4 mobile for over 40 hours now and I still bump into walls and miss staircases, etc. Does DQ2 mobile have 8-way movement? I've not played it (nor will I ever because the scaling is hosed).

JustJeff88 posted:

After 2 and 3 SFC, I want to play through 4 on the NES as I've never been past chapter 1 or perhaps 4 on the DS. I know that everyone raves about party chat in the mobile version, but I'll have to make do without.

DW4 is a perfectly fine game. In fact, it's really impressive what they squeezed out of the NES. I'd say it's one of those post-gen museum pieces that display the pinnacle of what the hardware is capable of. The only thing that's kind of "yeesh" is the chapter 5 AI, which you can't turn off normally (but you can with PAR codes).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mike_V posted:

Vince kicks rear end, I wish he was a member of the party

Vince is a loving monster and definitely should've been executed or thrown in jail for the rest of his life.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I think my only complaint so far is Act 2 really seems to be speeding me along. I wish I had more time in certain areas.

Like Heliodor felt about right. Then the mountain bit was over in 30 minutes maybe. Sylvando and the return to Phnom was maybe 45. But hey whatever I can include the Port Valar/Noberto stuff in for time.

Dundrasil was decent length, but today I quite literally walked into Octagonia and out of Octagonia in under 20 minutes. It was basically just a long stage boss fight.

Instead of hitting Sniflheim I went down to Gondolia, followed by Heliopolis, and both areas took me under an hour.

I would have loved more Faris, more info on the Lantern, etc but instead its just done. This huge event, over in what felt like maybe 20 minutes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You're in act 2 of 3.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

in fairness Octagonia was the shittiest part of Act 2 so it's best that it's over quick

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ofecks posted:

Same, I've been playing DQ4 mobile for over 40 hours now and I still bump into walls and miss staircases, etc. Does DQ2 mobile have 8-way movement? I've not played it (nor will I ever because the scaling is hosed).

I wish, but sadly not. It did add the feature where Zoom sends you back to any visited city, which was not in the SFC version. It may be in the GBC version, but I haven't played it.

I'm not proud of this, but the main reason that I want to play DQ3 for the SFC rather than the GBC is because the latter has such a tiny screen and is, to me, proper ugly. I'm no just talking about the tiny screen of a Game Boy; even emulated on a PC monitor the screen just doesn't show much real estate and it doesn't half put me off.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Vince is a loving monster and definitely should've been executed or thrown in jail for the rest of his life.

Yeah there was some tonal whiplash there. Like they know the people webbed up in there were definitely going to die right? Also I'm surprised they didn't revoke our win after we obviously cheated.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I wish, but sadly not. It did add the feature where Zoom sends you back to any visited city, which was not in the SFC version. It may be in the GBC version, but I haven't played it.

Zoom is in the GBC version.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Yeah there was some tonal whiplash there. Like they know the people webbed up in there were definitely going to die right? Also I'm surprised they didn't revoke our win after we obviously cheated.

the arena fights are scripted

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Tae posted:

You're in act 2 of 3.

Are you telling me I get more Faris in Act 3. Cause if so I'm content.

Really Pants posted:

in fairness Octagonia was the shittiest part of Act 2 so it's best that it's over quick

Yeaaah.

Woulda been perfectly content if it had just been replaced with more time for Heliopolis stuff.

As an aside, if I don't want to do too much work with emulation/translation patches will the Android/DS verions of the older games be fine?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Zoom is in the GBC version.

I think he means you get to pick the city to zoom to. In the original, SFC, and GBC versions, it merely sent you back to the last place you saved.

If mobile has that, that's pretty neat!

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm not proud of this, but the main reason that I want to play DQ3 for the SFC rather than the GBC is because the latter has such a tiny screen and is, to me, proper ugly. I'm no just talking about the tiny screen of a Game Boy; even emulated on a PC monitor the screen just doesn't show much real estate and it doesn't half put me off.

Understandable. The GB/C's resolution is 160x144 whereas SFC is 256x224, nearly 250% more pixels to worth with. While I'm sure it was difficult to squeeze a game of that size onto GB, they did it without many compromises, which is goddamn amazing. I bought it summer of 2001 off the shelf of one of those multi-media stores (Suncoast?) in Auburn, Maine. I was really blown away how high-quality the game was considering the format. That was indeed a magical summer, for more reasons than the game, but plenty of time was spent glued to my yellow GBC, sometimes with a worm light so I could play in the dark.

But anyway, the SFC remake is obviously superior, and you will enjoy it when you get there.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rookersh posted:

Are you telling me I get more Faris in Act 3. Cause if so I'm content.

Yeaaah.

Woulda been perfectly content if it had just been replaced with more time for Heliopolis stuff.

As an aside, if I don't want to do too much work with emulation/translation patches will the Android/DS verions of the older games be fine?

the lantern becomes important

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ofecks posted:

I think he means you get to pick the city to zoom to. In the original, SFC, and GBC versions, it merely sent you back to the last place you saved.

If mobile has that, that's pretty neat!

I mean you pick the destination in GBC.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

I mean you pick the destination in GBC.

You have mis-remembered. It seems this feature was brand new in the mobile port:

Dragon Quest Wiki posted:

Return is learned by The Prince of Cannock at level 10. Until the release of the mobile phone version in 2014, Zoom would only return the party to the location where they last saved their game.

The original functionality is also present in the manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My Dragon Quest XI game has crashed several times relating to autosaves. Apparently these things get corrupted and I've lost like 3 hours of progress in total from this crap. I googled around and couldn't find a lasting solution. Might legit have to stop playing.