Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
That was incredible, didn't think I'd see a zvt like this in new brood war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

I'm trying to avoid spoilers about this series but re game 1: i'm so glad valkyries are being used, i was hoping that the remaster (which notably fixed the valkyrie bug) would allow pros to actively take advantage of them in tvz

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Zillions magazine posted:

I'm trying to avoid spoilers about this series but re game 1: i'm so glad valkyries are being used, i was hoping that the remaster (which notably fixed the valkyrie bug) would allow pros to actively take advantage of them in tvz

I recall that someone did that when they made the switch to the remaster but the biggest thing was seeing burrow used. loving BURROW?! And it won him the series, like goddamn this is the good poo poo :allears:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zillions magazine posted:

Pros started using valks back in 2009 and I don't think the sprite bug would have been relevant in the spots where they were built that game.

I'm still a full KSL day behind and effort v last had some great games and some innovative ideas but I'm pretty sure the best part of Starcraft in the last week is Artosis repeatedly dunking on Tasteless for his unironed shirt in KSL game day 1.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Elyv posted:

...I'm pretty sure the best part of Starcraft in the last week is Artosis repeatedly dunking on Tasteless for his unironed shirt in KSL game day 1.

I still have no idea how he has time for 3 young kids, a wife, and all of those solitary hours spent watching and playing Starcraft. Plus travel.

Also, Valks rule but surprise tactical burrow is the bomb.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Elyv posted:

Pros started using valks back in 2009 and I don't think the sprite bug would have been relevant in the spots where they were built that game.

I'm still a full KSL day behind and effort v last had some great games and some innovative ideas but I'm pretty sure the best part of Starcraft in the last week is Artosis repeatedly dunking on Tasteless for his unironed shirt in KSL game day 1.

loving lmao guess I’m gonna catch up on that tonight

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

LLCoolJD posted:

I still have no idea how he has time for 3 young kids, a wife, and all of those solitary hours spent watching and playing Starcraft. Plus travel.

Also, Valks rule but surprise tactical burrow is the bomb.

Oh don't get me wrong, that was a great game that's topped off a legitimately great week of games and it was super exciting to me. I've seen people use that before, but never in that way. effort v last g5, Action v where g3, Rain v Light g3, and even effort v last g3 are all legitimately great games and I know there are other good games I haven't mentioned even though I haven't finished ksl day 2 yet because they're not good enough to be mentioned with these others. I'm not sure any of them brought me as much joy as Artosis and Tasteless in KSL day 1 though.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 22, 2018

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Effort vs Last has to be one of the best ZvT series I can remember seeing for quite awhile. Pretty much every game in it was fantastic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it really is a shame that the only esports that even sniff at brood war are fighting games or dota (and the last international's final make a holy trinity of greatest moments with daigo parry and boxer triple bunker rush). all the rest of the "esports" are trash in comparison.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Shuttle vs Flash in ASL happened last night, but the vod got a takedown on Youtube. Afreeca link is here. Note that if you want to remove the chat sidebar, you need to go into theater mode first and then close the sidebar. I've only seen Game 1 so far but it's actually a pretty good game.

E: Finished the series, Shuttle played pretty well but also the other guy is Flash. As Artosis said, "I don't think Flash is going to lose, cuz I'm not dumb"

Elyv fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 23, 2018

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Shuttle did a bunch of really cool mind-gamey stuff in that series

flash gonna flash though, I feel like he at least had to show exactly why he is the best

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Flash v. Shuttle: Flash looked so at home in all aspects of the TvP. He even sniffed out the sneaky reaver drop disguised as a dragoon push in game 2. I never got the impression that Shuttle had much of a chance once these extended into big macro games. Game 3 demonstrated why the old Protoss champs loved to stasis those tank armies.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
is there nowhere other than twitch i can watch KSL vods? twitch's mobile app is really bad for watching vods.

searching youtube is pretty hit or miss.

The Whoreax
Sep 7, 2008
I speak for the wood.
https://www.youtube.com/user/WCSStarCraft/

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

KSL Playlist

Doesn't have last night's games yet though

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

oh man that Larva v. Sharp series that was some good poo poo, all 5 of the games. I was wondering if someone was gonna try some battlecruisers this year.

Out of curiosity, are ghosts at all viable in competitive BW?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Aces High posted:

oh man that Larva v. Sharp series that was some good poo poo, all 5 of the games. I was wondering if someone was gonna try some battlecruisers this year.

Since zergs figured out the mech switch, you see Terrans mix in BCs when they get to 3+ bases if they were going for SK Terran, it's definitely not the first time I've seen it this year. They're also a transition in ultralate TvT.

Aces High posted:

Out of curiosity, are ghosts at all viable in competitive BW?

They're trash, one of the, I think, 2 units(along with the Scout) that has basically no use except for styling on people. I've seen both built by pros in serious games but less than 10 times in total and I've watched a lot of Starcraft.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 26, 2018

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Elyv posted:

[spoiler]Since zergs figured out the mech switch, you see Terrans mix in BCs when they get to 3+ bases if they were going for SK Terran, it's definitely not the first time I've seen it this year. They're also a transition in ultralate TvT.

They're trash, one of the, I think, 2 units(along with the Scout) that has basically no use except for styling on people. I've seen both built by pros in serious games but less than 10 times in total and I've watched a lot of Starcraft.

I thought lockdown had some use in the pro scene, but maybe its because I'm just thinking of that one game where Boxer locked down a fleet of 18 battlecruisers all at once

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

I thought lockdown had some use in the pro scene, but maybe its because I'm just thinking of that one game where Boxer locked down a fleet of 18 battlecruisers all at once

I actually do think ghosts have some potential against capships but games where pros do that are few and far between, they generally prefer to just build more combat units. I've seen them built before but it's super rare.

Also I watched last night's KSL match. Leta vs Modesty is a long series featuring unusual units, unusual unit combinations, and unusual spells.

It's also possibly the worst series of professional Brood War I've ever watched and I've watched a lot of Brood War, goddamn. Leta was one of my favorite players in 2009 but this match was absolutely terrible and boring.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

yeah what the gently caress was that series? Having never watched any competitive Starcraft until...this decade is this what the game looked like back in ye olden days of the early 00s?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the hell is shuttle doing in this 3rd place series :psyduck:

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey, so my pet favourihe player back in the day was Fantasy. Is he still relevant, like, at all?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Dancer posted:

Hey, so my pet favourihe player back in the day was Fantasy. Is he still relevant, like, at all?

Fantasy recently completed his military service.

He made the bold choice of returning to StarCraft 2, rather than ride the new wave of SCR.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Synastren posted:

Fantasy recently completed his military service.

He made the bold choice of returning to StarCraft 2, rather than ride the new wave of SCR.

Ugh, stupid imperialist SK ruining precious E-sports carreers :v: .

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Aces High posted:

yeah what the gently caress was that series? Having never watched any competitive Starcraft until...this decade is this what the game looked like back in ye olden days of the early 00s?

I only started watching in early 2008 and that definitely wasn't 2008 Starcraft. Might be 2003 but I only watched a tiny handful of games from back then, and even there I suspect people were generally more aggressive.

---------

Last v Shuttle got a takedown on Youtube, Afreeca link here http://vod.afreecatv.com/PLAYER/STATION/38132283

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

HOLY poo poo THESE FINALS :stare:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

if you did not watch these finals, watch them

the whole thing

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
holy poo poo

burrowed zerglings new meta in zvt

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

In game 2, when flash was going up the ramp, it seems like effort could have saved a lot more drones if he targeted the 1 hit from death firebat at any point after the first sunken died.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
what a sick finals, god drat

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

goddamn that was a great final :flashfap:

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I apologize for being a noob, but can someone give me a few hints on how to find vods (for example, for this seemingly exciting competition that just ended)? I checked the OP and the only indicator I found was teamliquid.net, but I haven't been able to (easily) find them there. Ideally spoiler-free :v: .

Dancer
May 23, 2011
And, on an unrelated note, any female/foreigner/random players of any relevance? Back in the day I remember eagerly hoping that Grrr would come back, or TossGirl would actually reach top tier.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Dancer posted:

I apologize for being a noob, but can someone give me a few hints on how to find vods (for example, for this seemingly exciting competition that just ended)? I checked the OP and the only indicator I found was teamliquid.net, but I haven't been able to (easily) find them there. Ideally spoiler-free :v: .

On youtube now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sb47YGI7l8

They get dinged for music a lot, so you can click the afreeca vod link a few posts up and find the other ones in related videos.

This was probably the most exciting asl finals of all of them. A lot of the other seasons had hype semifinals then dud finals, but that certainly wasn't the case here.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I actually thought the Flash v Effort finals was worse than the Effort v Last semis but it was a good series

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Flash v Effort finals :drat:

Sniffing out the vulture drop in game 5 really protected his drone count and gave Effort some separation. By the time those Ultras started galloping over to Flash's base it was basically over... two bases against four. Great win, great tournament by Effort.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Those finals were good. This was one of the better ASLs imo, at least the knockout stage portion. It had some clunkers but man there was some really awesome, innovative play and effort looked monstrous in the finals. that game 1 win was the most "oh poo poo" moment in recent brood war for me, the vulture surrounds were absurd

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The finals were played on another level of Starcraft that I've personally never seen before, though I wasn't watching back in the game's heyday. Half the poo poo Effort pulls in this series just plain doesn't work if he's even slightly worse at micro or timing.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Dancer posted:

sc2links.com populates a mostly spoiler free batch of links to vods of Broodwar games as well, despite the site name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

out of curiosity does this mean burrow is viable now?