Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Only idiots would describe this game has battleroyale-ish. Is not even full ffa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Technically this was made by a different studio as well, Bethesda just rebranded Battlecry Studios to Bethesda Game Studios Austin.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Donovan Trip posted:

Technically this was made by a different studio as well, Bethesda just rebranded Battlecry Studios to Bethesda Game Studios Austin.

It's a separate studio from ZOS, and even if it weren't, basically all of the people who made the bad, launch version of TESO are gone from ZOS.

The trick is that the studio that made this was created to make a video game that never came out and was quietly canceled and their other recent dev experience is making MP poo poo for DOOM which no one cared about the MP for.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Zenimax has been trying to make that studio useful since it's inception.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hey a reason to shutter it and stop costing them money is a use.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This game looks like someone making a practical bet on how bad a Bethesda game has to be before someone gives it a poor review.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This game looks like someone making a practical bet on how bad a Bethesda game has to be before someone gives it a poor review.

I blame the Doom devs, in the noclip documentary they said they couldn’t figure out how to build multiplayer networking on top FO4 so they asked the doom guys to figure it out which they did to an extent but man they should have just said no.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I hope this isn’t a ME:Andromeda situation where the ‘B Team’ was put in charge

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

The A team is developing assets for Bethesdas other 2 internal games (starfield and tes6) while the Austin studio, which was renamed Bethesda Austin only in March, developed this

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

*In an arrested development narrator voice*

It is.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Well, beta goes live at 7pm eastern. Should be good for a few laughs tonight at least.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd compare this more to Ubisoft or EA's smaller dev teams than the Andromeda debacle. That was caused by a chaotic mess of moving to a new engine clearly not built for RPGs on top of being made by the B Team with almost nobody from the old Mass Effect Games.

Here however we've got a case of a B Team being given the same engine and told to do an asset flip, the way Ubisoft saturated their market with samey open world games for a few years of AssCreed development, or EA or Activision rotating developers to make yearly Battlefield or COD games.

Minimal changes to the formula, same bug issues, more :effort:.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the yearly COD games were funny because at some point the B team clearly got better than the A time, I think right when Black Ops II was clearly a million times better than MW3

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

None of the CoD teams are B-teams in my opinion. Treyarch is amazing and the CoD series has been pretty rock solid for awhile.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the yearly COD games were funny because at some point the B team clearly got better than the A time, I think right when Black Ops II was clearly a million times better than MW3

MW3 was a case of the dev studio collapsing during development, after the Infinity Ward founders left.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I said come in! posted:

I don't know why anyone had any faith in this game after Elder Scrolls Online and its obvious cash grab.

It has some interesting ideas and isn't a bad idea in theory. Also, this song is rad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRPeYP6gS-s

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

All mmos suck, ESO included. But ESO did managed to give some sandbox gameplay with the thiefs/assasins dlc. These two dlcs improved the entire game with a layer of roleplay-isms that simply dont exist in other mmos.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

So

I dont understand.

Is this game withouth NPC's ... or.. it have npcs?

It is us; we will be the NPCs.

I'm going to talk about Skooma a lot.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Hav posted:

It is us; we will be the NPCs.

I'm going to talk about Skooma a lot.

4chan raised some valid criticism, some people argue politics by repeating things they have heard, without original ideas born inside their own skull, but what we where talking sbout?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

4chan's "everyone else is an NPC" is not a valid criticism, nor is it even a new concept. It's just the concept of philosophical zombies explained by someone who only plays videogames

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zelder posted:

4chan's "everyone else is an NPC" is not a valid criticism, nor is it even a new concept. It's just the concept of philosophical zombies explained by someone who only plays videogames

[thinking harder than any philosopher has ever thought] what if...the people who disagree with me aren't actually people

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Non Player Character? More like Not My Player Character! NMPC, No Mutant Player Characters allowed.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
What if life was like a video game. I think it would go something, like this.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_kTepXkc_E

I'm the indestructible gas cannister he shoots at 14 mins in, expecting it to blow up like it did in every previous Fallout game, an analogy to how the game will be "different" (poo poo)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

"im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a pip boy

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Orv posted:

I think it's hilarious, as always, how far goons are going to piss on a game release they don't personally like (looks like PS1, really?) but it's a shame there's really nothing redeeming seeming about this game. A Bethesda game with coop should be a grand slam and instead all of this.

It's almost as if this was inevitable given the combo of Bethesda jank and multiplayer and there was a reason we were making fun if it. Makes you think.

Then again if you got off such a high horse maybe miracles do happen and this could have been good.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I am of the opinion that this game only exists because of R&D on multiplayer for Starfield and they wanted to recoop some of the costs of that R&D from idiots.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

I am of the opinion that this game only exists because of R&D on multiplayer for Starfield and they wanted to recoop some of the costs of that R&D from idiots.

Yep and since their most up to date assets are a Fallout game this ended up being a Fallout game. The dev costs on this are insanely low

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

it is kind of crazy that their original design document was "fallout 4, but with less stuff and multiplayer" and it looks like they managed to undershoot that somehow

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

afkmacro posted:

I blame the Doom devs, in the noclip documentary they said they couldn’t figure out how to build multiplayer networking on top FO4 so they asked the doom guys to figure it out which they did to an extent but man they should have just said no.

of all the things to ask id help on they chose to focus on a multiplayer thing as opposed to "give us some tips about narrative, game engines, gameplay, loving anything" because the id guys are absolutely the best at Bethesda right now. give Hugo Martin full control over all Fallout lore immediately

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If New Vegas is allowed to be called a low effort fallout 3 mod then F76 I shall call an :effort: FO4 mod. Made by a team that couldn't shell out for voice acting from the community so instead of silent NPCs they went with no NPCs

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Now that the bribe money is payed out, some more honest reviews are coming out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKY9JHSxK3Y

Its as bad as we thought

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

caps on caps on caps posted:

Its as bad as we thought

:laffo:

There's like 3 more videos in the sidebar pulling a "UUUH ACTUALLY ON SECOND THOUGHT THE GAME SUDDENLY LOOKS A LOT WORSE RIGHT GUYS?"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

tbh Jim Sterling is absolutely a guy who would go for the throat when it comes to AAA fuckups. The real test will be against publications like EZA, GameInformer, Eurogamer, hell even Kotaku or IGN. Show me the impressions from the Big Boyz

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Its as bad as we thought

i have no idea who that guy is, but his style of "following up every legit complaint with a reminder that he's definitely excited guys, don't worry" is weird

very mealymouthed

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah, that's been a trend I've seen in a bunch of the 'I'm a bit worried about fallout' videos. It's consistent enough that I'd guess it's bethesda policing, or possibly just the people covering their asses because they don't want to be un-invited to the next big bethesda media push.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Zelder posted:

I have no idea who that guy is, but his style of "following up every legit complaint with a reminder that he's definitely excited guys, don't worry" is weird

very mealymouthed

It's what happens when shills get caught between staying on the good boy list and fan reaction turning sour fast.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Its as bad as we thought

I like how this guy just assumed the game would be good even though his experience was bad because he went off the rails and ignored the main quest.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

I like how this guy just assumed the game would be good even though his experience was bad because he went off the rails and ignored the main quest.

Can't tell if sarcasm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

afkmacro posted:

mormonpartyboat fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 23, 2018