Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Oh, not for Trump. No, I meant for a Congressional or Senate candidate.

Ted Cruz revealed to actually be a Gloomhaven Harrower

Sympathy for Cruz rises: "Plague Bearers are adventurers like anyone else."

edit: "cute swarm of bugs" does not give the google image search results I was hoping for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Big Mad Drongo posted:

If Trump becomes one of the only modern presidents to not lose his party seats in Congress during his first midterms I am going to endlessly scream even louder than I've already been endlessly screaming.

This era broke my brain. A friend of mine and I have had two different conversations within the last week where he was trying to reassure me that it wasn't as high as it was being reported but I just kept repeating "His job approval WENT UP. It WENT UP. UP. UP!! HIS POLLING NUMBERS WENT UP!!"

Somehow him saying "...well 538 only says it's 43% aggregate" in response does not help in any way whatsoever. THEY WENT UP.

So I feel you.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That’s what I figured. So as long as the polling continues to hold serve for the Dems the odds will slowly increase as the days go by.

Obviously that will work inversely for the Dems in the Senate model if the polls remain the same.

i think with two weeks remaining, there's very little temporal uncertainty and basically all the uncertainty in the house is basically "what if there's a systematic polling error". democrats will win the house if it's d+9. if it's D+7/D+6, then we're in for a nailbiter. if it's D+5 or below, things could be bad. if it's higher than D+9 we're in for one hell of a fun night.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
https://mobile.twitter.com/postlive/status/1054744910518054912

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Beto winning would make my day if only because I'm going to see my entire extended Texan-Republican family for the first time in 3 years a week after the elections.

Also, RE: blackface, how is it generally regarded if a white person dresses as a famous black character, but eschews blackface? I ask because my two white friends want to go as Jules and Vincent from Pulp Fiction, and Jules plans to use an afro wig/sideburns and is generally smart enough not to do Samuel L Jackson impressions.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I hope Nate does his Early Indicators like he did back in 2010...I remember him doing a thing for Democrats where he said "It's good if <thing happens at 7pm>, bad if <thing happens at 7:30 pm>, turn off the TV and go get drunk if <thing happens at 8pm>."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Collaborating Washington Post.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Personally I would've gone with "Grateful Ted"

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The crazy thing is

I've been waiting almost two years now telling myself "just gotta hold out till midterms"

Now, we're almost there . . . .and, y'know, I'm not sure my body is ready

If this poo poo doesn't get turned around, after everything . . . .

https://twitter.com/PetsFeeling/status/1054340928083841024

that's how I've been feeling too. Like we just have to survive until then...but now I'm having this dread of "what next?" I also don't think I can keep my sanity if the Dems fail to take the House.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Riatsala posted:

Beto winning would make my day if only because I'm going to see my entire extended Texan-Republican family for the first time in 3 years a week after the elections.

Also, RE: blackface, how is it generally regarded if a white person dresses as a famous black character, but eschews blackface? I ask because my two white friends want to go as Jules and Vincent from Pulp Fiction, and Jules plans to use an afro wig/sideburns and is generally smart enough not to do Samuel L Jackson impressions.

If you can't do an impression of them without being problematic, dress as someone else.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

friendbot2000 posted:

I just...can't conceptualize why people think it's a good idea to dress up as a "terrorist" or a black guy. poo poo, if I am desperate for a costume I just cobble together a visual pun of some kind. It is not hard if you are not a racist I guess....

In the late 90s, before there was a difference in terrorisms, I dressed up as a white militia terrorist, complete with suicide vest made out of road flares.

In retrospect it was a poor idea on a couple of levels. A) just dressing up as a terrorist is a bad look B) domestic terrorists aren't going to blow themselves up.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

I mean, Spain colonized Central America, and plenty of people in Spain at the time had Moorish blood (I know, I know, not actually Middle Eastern. But we all know he really means Muslim anyway). Still, one hell of a stretch there, Pencey.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/1054764943528972289

quote:

Space is now recognized as a warfighting domain and the United States must be prepared to meet the emerging threats we face in this new battlefield.

Recognizing this, President Trump is taking action to ensure that the American military is equipped to protect our Nation and preserve our freedom to operate in, from, and to space.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Radish posted:

Collaborating Washington Post.

what

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

axeil posted:

that's how I've been feeling too. Like we just have to survive until then...but now I'm having this dread of "what next?" I also don't think I can keep my sanity if the Dems fail to take the House.

I have no idea how I'm gonna even work on Election Day. I just...I remember how miserable I was two years ago and I never want to feel that way again. We need the House because we need Adam Schiff as head of the Intelligence Committee. He can make Trump's life miserable for two years.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Probably. We're in the final two weeks now; the results are getting more baked in, at least in terms of poll results. Very little is going to shift in 14 days short of a major dead girl/live boy scandal, so assuming that we get a few more favorable GCB polls, the House chances will only increase as we get closer to Election Day.

Comey letter was less than 2 weeks before the election. And 2 weeks is basically 2 years in terms of news cycles right now

We have a shitton of time left on the clock

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Riatsala posted:

judging by who is on their side...

https://twitter.com/paigelav/status/1054766878336393216https://twitter.com/paigelav/status/1054766878336393216

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

Comey letter was less than 2 weeks before the election. And 2 weeks is basically 2 years in terms of news cycles right now

We have a shitton of time left on the clock

The Comey letter was focused on one specific person, not 200 Congressional candidates + 20+ Senate candidates.

So yes, you're technically correct, but a Comey letter event would have way less impact now than it did then.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Posting another administration lie without criticism as a headline is exactly what they want the media to do.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

So yes, you're technically correct, but a Comey letter event would have way less impact now than it did then.

well there is one person who keeps telling us that even though he's not running, the election is all about him. the chance of something explosive about trump coming from Mueller is roughly 0% though

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

axeil posted:

I've basically been telling myself for the past two years that America didn't collectively realize how bad Trump was going to be

Now they know, so this country no longer has even the excuse of ignorance

*checks the New Zealand immigration occupation list*

I can learn to be a carpenter right

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I have no idea how I'm gonna even work on Election Day. I just...I remember how miserable I was two years ago and I never want to feel that way again. We need the House because we need Adam Schiff as head of the Intelligence Committee. He can make Trump's life miserable for two years.

That day is going to have pretend-to-work written all over it. I'm sure my customers will respect my wishes and not have any problems that day.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Sure, but make sure to get that liberal arts degree too or you ain't worth poo poo, evidently.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

fishing with the fam posted:

That day is going to have pretend-to-work written all over it. I'm sure my customers will respect my wishes and not have any problems that day.

I at least have my own office with a door that closes and locks, so I can bang my head on the desk if I need to :v:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

I've basically been telling myself for the past two years that America didn't collectively realize how bad Trump was going to be

Now they know, so this country no longer has even the excuse of ignorance

*checks the New Zealand immigration occupation list*

If there’s one thing my grandfather taught me, it’s that it’s easy to be a carpenter. Being a good carpenter is hard as hell.

Some gorgeous old banisters you can find in early 20th Century homes never cease to amaze me. I have no loving clue how they could bend wood like that.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

This is loving vile

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1054744843619053568?s=19

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

why_you_should_not_trust_david_frum.jpg

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

fishing with the fam posted:

I'm taking the day off and knocking on every door i can.

I'm taking the next day off because I'm scared of what my mental state is going to be.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Journalism is when a republican says bad thing you turn and mug to camera like Jim Halpert and then you've done your job. Why is everyone mad at me?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

There's no excuse for them not to have known.

The fact that they didn't means that they've willingly chosen to believe the bullshit that conservative outlets fed them.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Since I already have my mail ballot (and knew I would), I'm not even going to be at home on election day. I will in fact be in New Orleans so at the very least I'll be able to get drunk if the night goes badly, or if it goes well!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

eke out posted:

look at dude's face, you'd think he was being forced to shake hands with the people who murdered his father or something

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1054725377552252929

If I was this kid, I'd be seriously contemplating how far I could get my fingers into his eye sockets before being dragged off by the palace guard. Not that I condone assassinating world leaders, but if I was standing in front of the man that ordered my father's murder... boy, that would be tough.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

VH4Ever posted:

Since I already have my mail ballot (and knew I would), I'm not even going to be at home on election day. I will in fact be in New Orleans so at the very least I'll be able to get drunk if the night goes badly, or if it goes well!

Les bon temps omellete du frommage!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Turtle hasn’t given a poo poo about blue slips in years Murray.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

David Frum: "I don't want to elect racist facist power mongers, but goddammit it's either them or the liberals and the liberals won't keep those loving brown people out!!"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nonsense posted:

Turtle hasn’t given a poo poo about blue slips in years Murray.

i believe they've been honoring blue slips for district judges, since district judges don't set binding precedent for anyone why not keep everyone a little happier with the trial judges in their state

but lehey honoring the blue slip for circuit court judges was an inexcusable fuckup because literally everyone else saw this coming as soon as republicans regained power

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

axeil posted:

I'm taking the day off and knocking on every door i can.

I'm taking the next day off because I'm scared of what my mental state is going to be.

I had a doorknocker come by a few weeks ago. Told her we were voting for Pritzker, did nothing to hush up our barking German Shepard keep behind the screen door I was barely keeping closed, and said we didn't want that clutch of pamphlets she had in her hand.

I think they got the message, we haven't had any canvassers come to the house since then.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

https://twitter.com/Adequate_Scott/status/1054776971346038786?s=19

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ripoff posted:

Some gorgeous old banisters you can find in early 20th Century homes never cease to amaze me. I have no loving clue how they could bend wood like that.

I think they basically put it in a big steam chamber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Small silver lining: he is getting absolutely DRAGGED in the replies.

• Locked thread