Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

FFG saw the boom in mobile game IAPs and decided to have a go themselves. Can't blame them really, I just hope they keep supporting netrunner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

FFG saw the boom in mobile game IAPs and decided to have a go themselves. Can't blame them really, I just hope they keep supporting netrunner.

Depends on what you mean by supporting, but all signs point to them dropping the game entirely.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

pointsofdata posted:

Thread title dude

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

They lost the license; they're pretty much legally prohibited from supporting it in about two weeks.

agscala
Jul 12, 2008

I'm surprised you guys are complaining about the pricing of Keyforge. I'm willing to bet that the people that take it "seriously" will spend less than they would playing another LCG/TCG. Keyforge is far less predatory than Star Wars: Destiny for example.

Anecdata: Keyforge is the first game I've been able to convince my casual friends to get interested in. The price is low enough and the time investment isn't huge. Heck even my girlfriend is loving Keyforge right now and it's been like pulling teeth to get her to play any TCG/LCG with me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah I think the game will be pretty DOA for competitive but plenty successful for the casual crowd.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'll probably try and pick up a copy of the release kit for my store because I like swag, but I definitely don't see running Organized Play events long term.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Thread title dude

:(

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
We got some demo copies of Keyforge and I enjoyed it. I think calling it a dude-basher is a little silly, gameplay is objective based. You're trying to accumulate resources to earn objective points. The dudes can definitely bash each other, but their actual purpose is to generate resources for you. It's actually an interesting puzzle thinking about when attacking is advantageous, the tempo is unlike anything I've played before. There are meaningful decisions to be made and the House mechanic works better than it has any right to. I really like that there's a built-in handicap system for competitive pay.

If the model puts you off, I get it. I run a game store and I'm very broke, the idea of a flat out $10 purchase point for a game is something that really appeals to me. I think it's something worth trying, it surprised me and it might surprise you.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Somberbrero posted:

We got some demo copies of Keyforge and I enjoyed it. I think calling it a dude-basher is a little silly, gameplay is objective based. You're trying to accumulate resources to earn objective points. The dudes can definitely bash each other, but their actual purpose is to generate resources for you. It's actually an interesting puzzle thinking about when attacking is advantageous, the tempo is unlike anything I've played before. There are meaningful decisions to be made and the House mechanic works better than it has any right to. I really like that there's a built-in handicap system for competitive pay.

If the model puts you off, I get it. I run a game store and I'm very broke, the idea of a flat out $10 purchase point for a game is something that really appeals to me. I think it's something worth trying, it surprised me and it might surprise you.

I don't think anyone's put off by the idea of a $10 game but this isn't a $10 game the same way Gatcha games aren't just a one-time purchase either. There are plenty of low-cost games out there for people on a budget but I think it's pretty clear that FFG is very much angling for people to buy more than a single Keyforge deck.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
And they absolutely have the option to, but someone who spent $10 and someone who spent $200 have a much more theoretically even chance to win than in most CCGs.

I don't plan to play it myself, but I'm starting to warm up on the idea of it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Kai Tave posted:

I don't think anyone's put off by the idea of a $10 game but this isn't a $10 game the same way Gatcha games aren't just a one-time purchase either. There are plenty of low-cost games out there for people on a budget but I think it's pretty clear that FFG is very much angling for people to buy more than a single Keyforge deck.

Well sure, and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. As much as I liked the Lcg format as a consumer, it's kind of hard for stores to support them effectively. I think this is a pretty fair compromise between the two models. For competitive play, if someone is dropping big money to hunt for a powerful deck, it's just going to get hit by the Chain handicap.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

And they absolutely have the option to, but someone who spent $10 and someone who spent $200 have a much more theoretically even chance to win than in most CCGs.

I don't plan to play it myself, but I'm starting to warm up on the idea of it.

Ccgs have more of a cap though, with this model there is always the possibility of a better deck to entice you into buying one more pack.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Somberbrero posted:

Let me know if/when your shop does any events for it. The pricing model is something that I have no objections to, even if I have reservations about the gameplay and theme.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
this game seems...interesting. I'm not big on the distribution model but what do i know i play eternal from time to time.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Played KeyForge last week.

I found it very interesting, lots of new ideas here I haven't seen explored in other card games. However, definitely felt a little bit like IGOUGO version of solitaire. There *was* quite a bit of interaction, but it is only during the active players turn. So while the interaction was there, in many ways I felt like a human opponent was no better than playing against AI. I really like the house system and how you had to declare per turn, like ability to quickly cycle through your deck through easily ability to cycle your hand EoT. While lots of interesting and good mechanics, it just wasn't that fun. The art didn't catch my eye, the individual house themes were there, but made no sense seeing them in the same universe. No real cool or wow factor. Didn't feel like any deck I played had any flashy mythic/bomb type cards. If a buddy really wants to play I'll end up picking a deck, but otherwise no real interest in playing it more.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
gently caress Keyforge. Death of Netrunner got me to finally get my girlfriend interested in Arkham Horror LCG after bouncing off hard on trying to teach her Netrunner.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
I have a rules question.

My friend was running synthetic blood against my Jinteki murder deck. So he's supposed to draw a card "when he takes damage."

In the situation where the damage would kill him, does it? So if he has zero cards and I net damage him for one, does he draw and discard or does he die?

I love the games FFG makes but I hate hate hate the way they phrase timings on cards.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

He dies. Whenever a single effect does more damage than the runner has cards in hand, they are immediately flatlined. The only thing they can do is something that specifically says it prevents the damage. Triggered effects, such as from Synthetic Blood or I've Had Worse, don't get a chance to trigger.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

License is over; thanks for everything FFG!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I wonder how safe Jinteki will stay now. WotC could presumably go swat it down if they felt like it, yeah?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

FFG finally sent me the 'remaining' tokens from my Worlds 2018 wins and by 'remaining tokens' I of course mean they sent me more of what I had already and I'm going to need to order bad publicities on eBay or some poo poo for a matching set.

FFG.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Minrad posted:

I wonder how safe Jinteki will stay now. WotC could presumably go swat it down if they felt like it, yeah?

I wouldn't worry unless and until WotC announced a new Netrunner of their own. Lackey still has ONR supported IIRC, and WotC never went after them.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
There is absolutely no value and nothing but bad PR for Hasbro to do so.

That's not saying it won't happen, obviously.

But hey, NISEI announcements soon hopefully. I'm pretty excited by what I've seen of the new MWL.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Minrad posted:

If FFG wanted to get mad about the art they commissioned they could make good on the C&Ds for jinteki.net and netrunnerdb but there's little gain for them to do so at this point.

Vice Waypoint article on the end of Netrunner here: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/zm9989/the-final-days-of-netrunner

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
While I stopped playing many years ago, let's all take a moment and appreciate how NetRunner easily had one of the friendliest and most respectful nerd cultures ever. I don't know how or why, but it was good.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Orange Devil posted:

While I stopped playing many years ago, let's all take a moment and appreciate how NetRunner easily had one of the friendliest and most respectful nerd cultures ever. I don't know how or why, but it was good.

it was so cool when netrunner was a pivotal part of a romance scene in Billions.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
NISEI have details on their first GNK kit up already, along with a disturbing willingness to die on the hill for Capslock Intern jokes

https://stimhack.com/the-board-scores-hostile-takeover/

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Wait, so NISEI's Standard format is going to use a revised Revised Core Set that requires rotated cards to play? I guess they aren't worried about alienating anyone who bought into the game with actual Revised Core Set?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Lol if you think a self-appointed circle of nerds wouldn't immediately raise barriers to entry.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Reusing old rotated cards was an inevitability. There was no way in hell that they are going to output 150+ new cards a year to support an actual proper rotation.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Wake me up when scorched earth comes back in

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

I doubt anyone's going to care about proxies at this point, so it isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

berenzen posted:

Reusing old rotated cards was an inevitability. There was no way in hell that they are going to output 150+ new cards a year to support an actual proper rotation.

Well yeah, but they didn't have to start there.

That article was loving painful to read and that gimmick needs to die, pronto.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I think maybe this is good but oh god I can't read that site with all the RANDOM caps lock MESSING up the FLOW can we please JUST stop it ALReady

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Their creative writing skills don't give me confidence in their game design ones.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Let's start our own Netrunner league! With blackjack, and hookers!

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

CodfishCartographer posted:

Their creative writing skills don't give me confidence in their game design ones.

Different parts of the team, fortunately. And we're a step above FFGs "here's a great combo that fundamentally misunderstands how two cards work" articles at least.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Destrado posted:

Different parts of the team, fortunately. And we're a step above FFGs "here's a great combo that fundamentally misunderstands how two cards work" articles at least.

However wrong they might have been I could read them without my eyes bleeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Their second release today about Core 3.0 doesn't have any caps lock intern stuff besides an initial joke about being over it ok guyzzz