Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

So wait, there's four teams from each league that make it in? Wouldn't it be Divisional -> Championship -> WS then?

It sure as poo poo would, and thank you for catching that as I hadn't changed the stupid "custom playoffs" thing after I ran through a fake season to test it.

But yes, 4 teams from each league.

DS: Best of 5
LCS: Best of 7
WS: Best of 7

I also ran through an NHL/NBA style setup which was really funny. 2 division winners plus 6 "wildcards". 4 playoff series, each best of 7.

16 WINS BABY

The season ended in mid December and some guys had 120+ PAs during the playoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

drat, Chubb really hates pitchers I guess :lol:

bewbies posted:

I also ran through an NHL/NBA style setup which was really funny. 2 division winners plus 6 "wildcards". 4 playoff series, each best of 7.

16 WINS BABY

The season ended in mid December and some guys had 120+ PAs during the playoffs.

This owns and we should do it imo

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 22, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cube catcher is the team prankster :3:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sydin posted:

Cube catcher is the team prankster :3:

I'm gonna smile all day now after seeing that :kimchi:

This LP is a long way from done (I hope?) but once it winds down if there's interest in doing a totally off-the-wall fictional OOTP LP, I miiiiight be willing to invest the time to do that. I recently set up such a zany league and am doing some tinkering, but I like the results. It's two 12-team leagues, split into two divisions each, and a 90 game schedule (12 games against the 5 intradivisional teams, 5 games against the 6 teams in the other division = 90) and 1920s style baseball. And the playoff structure is... idiosyncractic. It's glorious.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 22, 2018

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm gonna smile all day now after seeing that :kimchi:

This LP is a long way from done (I hope?) but once it winds down if there's interest in doing a totally off-the-wall fictional OOTP LP, I miiiiight be willing to invest the time to do that. I recently set up such a zany league and am doing some tinkering, but I like the results. It's two 12-team leagues, split into two divisions each, and a 90 game schedule (12 games against the 5 intradivisional teams, 5 games against the 6 teams in the other division = 90) and 1920s style baseball. And the playoff structure is... idiosyncractic. It's glorious.

I am very intrigued by this concept.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2024 All Star Break

67-21, .761, 1st Place, NL West

The new divisions are looking pretty cool. The LA Angels are nearly as hot as we are, and had a better record until very recently.

This has been a pretty smooth campaign so far. Blaze Jordan stepped in and started hammering the ball straight away, though he doesn't walk much. Pete says that will come with time. Mejia is rebounding after a subpar year last year with an MVP-caliber first half. Gore/Baez/Quantrill are all looking great, as is Nagamatsu...though his fielding is gradually declining. Matt Thompson looks recovered from his elbow injury and looks like he'll be a #1 type starter before long.

We lost Erik Rivera -- who was playing well-- for a couple months to a broken hand, but otherwise have been fairly healthy. Royce Lewis has been underwhelming thus far.

The only worthwhile move I see at this point is bringing in another LOOGY rental - Felipe Vazquez and Richard Lovelady are both available. Alternatively, we could go after a long-term LHRP, possibly using one of our two high end catcher prospects.

Note: I did this last year with Fuenmayor and then we lost him in the expansion draft so I really killed that one.

Oh! I almost forgot:

We had an interesting draft. We have a big pile of money left over this year, and it just so happened there was a guy available who was demanding too much for everyone above us: Jaquan Muwwakkil. Pete isn't super high on him, but the OOTP league scouts are...they see him as a high end 5 tool guy in any outfield position, and he stepped in as the #65 prospect as an 18 year old. Cool.

For our international signing, we had an offer in on a generational-type 3B/SS kid but I hosed it up and the Brewers got him instead. So, we got Ismael Carrasco instead. He's a big bat 1B who stepped in as the 121st prospect as a 16 year old. He's...a long way off, obviously.

Upload should be complete soon.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 23, 2018

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

im always down for ideosyncratic fictional playoffs

i wish i could think of an interesting way to present my archive of whatifsports playoff results, there's a lot of poo poo in there and it might interest people

also im better at coding now but i havent tried running whatifsports via script in a literal decade, is there a better way to quickly run one ahistorical lineup against another on the internet nowadays? or i could build a baseball simulator by scraping the probabilities of every single unique event in the entire historical record from baseball-reference or something...

anyway my other Big Idea was a last name league - team Williams, team Bonds, team Smith, etc etc. i think people would have fun both creating the algorithm by which we select the teams and seeing what kind of stats and results we get. the playoff could be arbitrarily ludicrous

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I don't think any price is too high to add Dick Lovelady to our team :allears:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't think any price is too high to add Dick Lovelady to our team :allears:

Seconding this. We are all children.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Looking forward to the coverage!

"Dick Lovelady Penetrates the Roster"

"Dick Untouchable In Debut"

"Hot Dick Lifts Padres"

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Eric the Mauve posted:

And the playoff structure is... idiosyncractic. It's glorious.
Oh you tease!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2024 Playoffs

118-44, 1st Place, NL West

We had a great regular season, but I'd say we probably won more games than we deserved.

All of the divisions were runaways, but the NL Wild Card race was epic. 5 teams were in it right up until the last week. The Angels won 111 games and look dominant in the AL.

We got another fine year out of Gore/Baez/Quantrill three-headed monster. Booh was again terrifying, but the rest of the bullpen (minus Feltman and Jose Albertos was underwhelming. The really bad news: Matthew Thompson's elbow exploded again. So much for our backfill for Baez after next year...we're going to have a major hole in our rotation, and his career might be on the skids. We're also almost certainly going to lose Booh after next year, which makes me sad. EDIT: NEVER MIND, WE HAVE TWO ARBITRATION YEARS LEFT WITH HIM.

Royce Lewis finally completed a full season and was good, but not great. Blaze Jordan had a great rookie season at age 21, and Pete says he's still nowhere near his ceiling. Matt Wallner smashed 65 dingers, which I think makes him the only non-PED-enhanced player in history to have back to back 60 HR seasons. Masuo Nagamatsu was also brilliant, but shared time a bit with Nelson Velazquez. Erik Rivera hit well but missed about two months...he should be a decent backfill for Reynolds in center. The best news, maybe....Francisco Mejia won a batting title and put up a great rebound season.

Sad news: The Cardinals got to Richard Lovelady just before we did, and then offered him an extension the same day they traded for him. While this stings, at least he stunk for the Cardinals. So we traded to bring Liu Fuenmayor back on board, sending SA a nothing 3B prospect.

Programming note: because I didn't change the playoff format preseason, the divisional/league/world series are 3/5/7 games respectively. My bad. They'll be 5/7/7 next season.

We have the New York Mets in the NLDS. They finished 85-77 this year and rode quality pitching the whole way.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 23, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Imagine living in a world where a 6.6 WAR is "good, not great."

Also isn't 118 wins an MLB record?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If we lose to the Mets, end the thread and delete the save.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

Good point...I keep thinking he has a 10 win season in him so it was from that perspective.

And it is a record! I thought the 01 mariners had won 120 games for some reason. Still is not a win % record though.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
NLDS: New York Mets vs San Diego Padres

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
NLCS: Arizona Diamonbacks vs San Diego Padres

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Game 4

Game 5

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The Goon Dads, folks, they're really good.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 23, 2018

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

if the series ends early he's putting a fake link in for the games that didn't happen

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Also in the new alignment the LCS is best-of-5, not 7.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TheFlyingLlama posted:

if the series ends early he's putting a fake link in for the games that didn't happen

:doh:

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

bewbies posted:

Good point...I keep thinking he has a 10 win season in him so it was from that perspective.

And it is a record! I thought the 01 mariners had won 120 games for some reason. Still is not a win % record though.

It actually isn't a record, cause we won 119 games last season :haw:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
This year's WORLD SERIES is an absolutely fantastic matchup, so I'm gonna write a bit about it. I spent some time researching the Angels and this team is really fascinating.

We all know about the Padres. They've been baseball's best team for the last two years, built around a core of young prospects augmented by a couple of value free agent signings. It is a group built around the long ball, top notch starting pitching, a solid bullpen, and somewhere between passable and good defense. Some cracks are starting to show in this group as they age out of their team controlled years, and this team might not have more than another year or two on top before a (limited) rebuild begins.

The Los Angeles Angels, on the other hand, are a team built with a completely different approach. They enjoy baseball's fourth largest budget ($288m) and largest payroll ($250m), and even with that mammoth payroll, they still have over $40m waiting for them next year. They spent the last several years hovering between mediocre and bad, until a trio of Japanese superstars changed everything.

First, we all know about Shohei Ohtani. At age 30, he's developed into exactly what we all hoped he'd be: a Cy Young caliber pitcher and a rock solid dinger machine in right field. he pitches around 170-180 innings a year, and playesr around 100 games in the field. His 162 game averages are 31 HR and 14 SB, with a 277/349/507 slash line.

The second piece of the puzzle was Michyo Hamano. He game over to the bigs 3 years ago at age 27, and has been arguably baseball's best all around hitter since then. Over the last 3 years, he's played all but 3 games, slashing 311/435/583 in that time, with 21.4 WAR. He's an indifferent defender at first, but his bat more than makes up for it...those are Frank Thomas kind of numbers.

The third piece of the puzzle was Yoshikazu Honda, who came over in 2021 as a 28 year old. He doesn't have the bat of the other two, but he's the best defensive 3B in the AL...his three Gold Gloves (soon to be 4) can attest. He's no slouch with the bat either, in 4 years he's hit 123 dingers and slashes 271/361/518.

The rest of the Angels lineup is as solid as can be. Keshawn Lynch is a new plus bat and plus glove at 2B. Jahmai Jones is a fan favorite in CF. Adalberto Mondesi was a big-money free agent signing who met every expectation this year, putting up 4.5 WAR in only 115 games.

Then there's that one guy...Mike, something. He's see his numbers drastically decline the last 3 years after his epic 11.2 WAR 2021, but Ol' Pete still thinks he has an elite bat, even if he can't range in center like he used to.

Anyway, after they got out from under the Pujols contract, they started going after these Japanese guys, and built what must be the second best lineup in baseball (behind only the Indians absolutely staggering murder's row). They're all peaking right now...the entire group, minus Trout, is between 27 and 30. They hit for power and average, steal bases, and play excellent defense.

The pitching might be better than the hitting. The staff is build around longtime Yankee Luis Severino, who is an inning-eater kind of in the mold of a Pettitte or Mussina. He came over this year on a big money deal. Ohtani of course is the #2, with George Kirby and a revitalized Dylan Bundy rounding out the playoff starters. It is a good group, but the team's real strength is its outstanding...and very expensive...bullpen. Edwin Diaz, Ken Giles, Alex Claudio, and Archie Bradley comprise the best pen in the AL...all throw hard, keep the ball in the park, and strike out a lot of dudes.

They won 111 games this year, and on their day, they're every bit as good as the Padres, top to bottom.

This is gonna be one heck of a series.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh God how did Sevy end up on the Angels?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also, while I'm at it...this Cleveland Indians lineup, that the Angels were nice enough to take care of for us, is probably the best computer-built lineup I've ever seen in an OOTP game.

Khris Davis did not hit .247, what the gently caress.

Inspector_666 posted:

7 years, 172m, with an opt out after year 3.

Incidentally, the Angels are paying their bullpen over $60m.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, the Angels apparently have the largest payroll in MLB in this universe, so presumably they've usurped the "Yankees of the West" title from the Dodgers.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

I mean, the Angels apparently have the largest payroll in MLB in this universe, so presumably they've usurped the "Yankees of the West" title from the Dodgers.

Yeah but Severino should have stayed on the Yankees of the East...The Yankees :(

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah but Severino should have stayed on the Yankees of the East...The Yankees :(

maybe he wanted to go somewhere he could actually win in the postseason.

(It's just friendly banter don't hate me)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2024 World Series: Los Angeles Angels vs San Diego Padres

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Game 4

Game 5

Game 6

...if you don't want to sit through my game call

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

:toot:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
You know, it would be really badass if an MLB team had three Japanese superstars on it. Could you imagine how crazy Japan would be for said team?

Like, we're playing against an entire country here.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm entirely too emotionally invested in these boys, our wonderful wonderful baseball boys WHO WILL NEVER STOP WINNING KISS THE RINGZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
FTJ was robbed of WS MVP but still :toot:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

How many more years until the payroll from all these young stars makes it impossible to keep them? I mean there is no chance we can keep Lewis long term, right?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hope you enjoyed your time, Lewis. The rest of us will have a pretty cool time without you I bet. (Don't go to the Yankees or Angels tia)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

How many more years until the payroll from all these young stars makes it impossible to keep them? I mean there is no chance we can keep Lewis long term, right?

Unless our market suddenly doubles and the owner then gives us a cut, we have another offseason of selloff coming, and the window probably closes either after next season or the season after that.

That said the selloff should bring back some pretty fantastic prospects.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sydin posted:

Unless our market suddenly doubles and the owner then gives us a cut, we have another offseason of selloff coming, and the window probably closes either after next season or the season after that.

That said the selloff should bring back some pretty fantastic prospects.

The main thing I'm going to worry about is the fan backlash of getting rid of a few guys. Lewis is absolutely adored, but we can't keep his arb, and we definitely can't extend him for what he wants. He's going to walk and I'm fine with that, but the fans probably won't be.

As for our window, I think we still have a long stretch of sustained success ahead of us, deep playoff runs, etc, but I don't know that we win it all again after, say, next year. It'll be rough.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sydin posted:

FTJ was robbed of WS MVP but still :toot:

.105/.292/.263 splits = Robbed?

Or did you not know that the stats in the box score are for the entire playoffs and not just the World Series? Though I feel like the HR/RBI numbers should probably have tipped you off :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IcePhoenix posted:

Or did you not know that the stats in the box score are for the entire playoffs and not just the World Series?

I did not, I thought they were WS numbers only. :downs:

rickiep00h posted:

The main thing I'm going to worry about is the fan backlash of getting rid of a few guys.

I bought OOTP19 on sale the other day and have been loving around with the A's. They start in the goddamn red and when I offloaded Davis because - while good - he's also getting paid $12M I didn't have (and could actually get me half-way decent stuff back), fans absolutely loving rioted.

• Locked thread