Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The Age’s new digital format just keeps on giving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Anyone with an Australian sub able to post what they think the effects of Labor's negative gearing cuts are?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

How are they this out of touch? They basically believe their own propaganda pieces and then take the Murdoch comments as a good benchmark as far as I can tell.

Considering those Murdoch comments are astroturfed to poo poo it's like they release policy and then release bots praising the policy so they must be doing a good job

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/BrendanDonohoe7/status/1054622633671589888

The guy on the left edge who can't look at the camera is the muppet standing for my electorate, the one we've seen nothing of except a leaflet in the mailbox.

Speaking of elections here's something I didn't know you could do: a councillor was replaced, not in a by-election but a count-back by the VEC of the election she won to determine her successor. You may remember the former councillor, Hoskin was the one attempting to block the Bendigo mosque in VCAT (she lost). She resigned in September (giving no reason as far as I can determine), but things like this bizarre meeting may have contributed, and I shall quote the article:

quote:

Cr Hoskin is referenced in the letter, which is addressed to all councillors, council directors and the CEO, as one councillor not being involved in the supposed treason.

“The email is sent to the above because we have been made aware that all of the above mentioned with the exclusion of Julie Hoskin are about to attempt to conceal the removal of the electors/ratepayers/constituents/subjects of the Queen in the Bendigo region,” the letter read.

“The consensus of the people at the meeting was that on the discovery that Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second had been removed from certain Acts in Victoria and throughout the Commonwealth of Australia without the required referendum of consent of the people constituted the criminal offence of treason, and the concealing of such offence activates another principal criminal offence – misprision of treason.

“Anyone in the employ or in receipt of a financial benefit from a local government is knowingly committing a fraud against every elector and constituent in every constituency throughout Australia, and is subject to such scrutiny and criminal charge.

“Failure to disclose these criminal offences will activate charge, but, the correct way to defend yourself at this point, is to be a signature to a common law grand jury indictment.”

A local lawyer suggested there was no legal grounds for either of the groups’ claims.

It's basically the same sovereign citizen bullshit.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

You work for terrible people, Anidav. But everyone has to pay the bills somehow, so I get it.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

iajanus posted:

Anyone with an Australian sub able to post what they think the effects of Labor's negative gearing cuts are?
Here's the first page, typed out from a paper copy:

Labor risks $12bn housing hit
Simon Benson, National Affairs Editor

Labor's $32 billion plan to end negative gearing for existing homes and slash the capital gains discount would lead to a fall in new housing construction of up to 42,000 dwellings over five years and 32,000 fewer jobs across the country, according to independent modelling of Bill Shorten's key property policies.

Warning of a significant contraction in housing supply, which could further strain the major capitals Sydney and Melbourne struggling to cope with population growth, the modelling forecasts a downturn in housing supply equivalent to accommodating 100,000 people.

A report commissioned by Master Builders Australia, using similar modelling techniques to that of the former Labor government's Henry Tax review, has forecast a potential $12bn downturn in construction activity in the first five years of the policy's implementation.

The report, based on independent peer-reviewed modelling conducted by Canberra-based Cadence Economics, suggests that with housing supply already contracting, Labor's policy to limit negative hearing to new homes and cut the capital gains tax discount from 50 per cent to 25 per cent would "exacerbate" the current downturn in the construction cycle.

In NSW, it would deliver a $1.4bn hit to building activity in the first year, representing a 6 per contraction in the sector.

In claims that housing construction conditions have weakened considerably since Labor's policy was released in February 2016 and the section is now more vulnerable to shocks.

Opposition Treasury spokesman Chris Bowen has been briefed by MBA on the modelling, which is the first assessment testing the impact of Labor's negative gearing and capital gains tax policies on construction jobs and housing supply rather than propery prices and rents.

The modelling, using worst and best-case scenarios, shows construction would fall by between 10,000 and 42,000 dwellings in the first five years from implementation. This would lead to between 7500 and 32,000 fewer jobs.

The value of the contraction to the industry is estimated at between $2.8bn and $11.8bn.

The contraction in renovation activity would be between $50 million and $210m.

When Labor's policy was devised more than two years ago, it was released against the backdrop of a heated property market.

Continued on page 6, which is where I'll leave the transcription.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Trapezium Dave posted:

Here's the first page, typed out from a paper copy:

Labor risks $12bn housing hit
Simon Benson, National Affairs Editor

Labor's $32 billion plan to end negative gearing for existing homes and slash the capital gains discount would lead to a fall in new housing construction of up to 42,000 dwellings over five years and 32,000 fewer jobs across the country, according to independent modelling of Bill Shorten's key property policies.

Warning of a significant contraction in housing supply, which could further strain the major capitals Sydney and Melbourne struggling to cope with population growth, the modelling forecasts a downturn in housing supply equivalent to accommodating 100,000 people.

A report commissioned by Master Builders Australia, using similar modelling techniques to that of the former Labor government's Henry Tax review, has forecast a potential $12bn downturn in construction activity in the first five years of the policy's implementation.

The report, based on independent peer-reviewed modelling conducted by Canberra-based Cadence Economics, suggests that with housing supply already contracting, Labor's policy to limit negative hearing to new homes and cut the capital gains tax discount from 50 per cent to 25 per cent would "exacerbate" the current downturn in the construction cycle.

In NSW, it would deliver a $1.4bn hit to building activity in the first year, representing a 6 per contraction in the sector.

In claims that housing construction conditions have weakened considerably since Labor's policy was released in February 2016 and the section is now more vulnerable to shocks.

Opposition Treasury spokesman Chris Bowen has been briefed by MBA on the modelling, which is the first assessment testing the impact of Labor's negative gearing and capital gains tax policies on construction jobs and housing supply rather than propery prices and rents.

The modelling, using worst and best-case scenarios, shows construction would fall by between 10,000 and 42,000 dwellings in the first five years from implementation. This would lead to between 7500 and 32,000 fewer jobs.

The value of the contraction to the industry is estimated at between $2.8bn and $11.8bn.

The contraction in renovation activity would be between $50 million and $210m.

When Labor's policy was devised more than two years ago, it was released against the backdrop of a heated property market.

Continued on page 6, which is where I'll leave the transcription.

Ta

Also why would limiting it to new houses have that much of a depressing effect on new builds? Wonder what the reasoning for that is.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

This is it. This is their Children Overboard.

Someone should probably tell them that climate change, energy prices and cost of living/secure work are the bigger issues this year, and that refugee policy isn't really a topic of conversation outside of places like Wentworth where people can still afford a 6th house.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
In December 2014, Scott Settree got into an argument with his parents Ian and Margaret over a bottle of wine. They wanted him to replace one he'd drunk without asking.

The 46-year-old became enraged, and shot both of his parents dead in the home he shared with them in Cobar, in the state's north-west.

Two years later, Mr Settree was found not guilty due to a mental illness thought to have initiated years earlier as a result of drug use. NSW Supreme Court Justice Stephen Campbell said there was no dispute that Settree shot his parents dead, but that he was convinced he was experiencing a schizophrenic delusion when he did so.

That verdict left Mr Sentree's grieving sister, Wendy Robinson, with a fight on her hands to stop him accessing half of their parents' money.

While she was successful in forfeiting her brother's right to his full inheritance, she was ordered to put aside $50,000 from Ian's estate and another $50,000 from Margaret's estate as a trust for him; in addition to using estate money to pay his legal costs. All up, she said, he was receiving about $250,000 from the parents he killed.

Appearing on A Current Affair on Tuesday night, Ms Robinson said the law that prevents forfeiture of inheritance to those who kill unlawfully, but are found not guilty due to mental illness, "has got to change".

"In my eyes, it's not right to be able to be paid that sort of money after killing your parents, killing anyone, it's just not right," she said.
Ms Robinson has been petitioning NSW Attorney-General Mark Speakman to change the law so that those who kill while impaired by mental illness are no longer absolved as "not guilty".

"Personally, I would love to see 'guilty by reason of mental illness', 'guilty of the crime by reason of mental illness' is what I'd like to see," she told ACA.

"Therefore forfeiture has to come with it."
Ms Robinson's efforts appear to have had some impact. Mr Speakman plans to amend the present verdict of "not guilty by reason of mental illness" next year.

Mr Speakman told Fairfax Media the current wording of the verdict "recognises a court finding that the defendant lacks capacity to understand what they’ve done is wrong".

"However, this verdict can often distress victims and their families because the term 'not guilty' can suggest the defendant did not do the act," Mr Speakman said.

He said the NSW government is currently working with stakeholders to change the verdict "to clearly indicate the defendant engaged in the conduct in question, although, because of their mental illness or cognitive impairment, they cannot be held criminally responsible".

While the change is aimed at providing victims with a greater sense of justice, Fairfax Media understands it is unlikely to automatically forfeit inheritance rights.

Under common law, the forfeiture rule which "precludes a person who has unlawfully killed another person from acquiring a benefit in consequence of the killing" applies to cases of murder, but not other unlawful killings – although courts can make a forfeiture application or modification order for other cases, such as the Settrees' deaths.

Victims' advocate Howard Brown said inheritance law needs to change if survivors of those killed by mentally ill family members are to see the kind of justice Ms Robinson is looking for.

"Regrettably one of the things I have seen is the complete exhaustion of an estate created from all the legal fees in trying to fight this matter, and then no one wins," he said.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
On the one hand I always just kind of feel super guilty and cry a whole lot over being such a pathetic alcoholic when I drink my folks booze without telling them first rather than going right on and shooting them dead, but on the other hand they don't have 50k between them to leave to my two siblings and I, never mind that much from each of them for each of us so maybe shoot and eat the rich

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
First of all we are getting kids off Nauru, we have been doing it for years. We’ve got hundreds of kids off Nauru and we’ll continue to do that in the way that we’ve been getting about it and we’ll continue to maintain the integrity of strong border protection policies. You don’t get kids off Nauru by putting more on, by having weak border policies. So that’s been a key focus.

But I mean the key thing is David, mate, I’m not going to play hokey-pokey politics, it’s not going to be “left foot in, right foot in”, all that sort of nonsense. We’re a centre-right party where we do get the balance on these things right. You can look after kids and have a strong border protection policy. You can get electricity prices down and meet the reductions targets that we’ve set for Paris. You don’t have to choose between these two things, you don’t have to get caught up by the shouts from the left and the shouts from the right, you just do your job every day and you stay in the sensible centre-right where successful Liberal and National governments have always been. That’s certainly where I’m going to be, no hokey-pokey politics from me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Box of Bunnies posted:

On the one hand I always just kind of feel super guilty and cry a whole lot over being such a pathetic alcoholic when I drink my folks booze without telling them first rather than going right on and shooting them dead, but on the other hand they don't have 50k between them to leave to my two siblings and I, never mind that much from each of them for each of us so maybe shoot and eat the rich

I feel like supporting their hosed up son into his 40s is the reason for their poor financial position.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Did he really say "the sensible centre-right" lmao

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Tgent posted:

Did he really say "the sensible centre-right" lmao
It's used quite a bit by the News Corp commentator set who also view Turnbull the multi-millionaire investment banker as a dangerous leftie.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Upholding the right, indeed.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

First of all we are getting kids off Nauru, we have been doing it for years. We’ve got hundreds of kids off Nauru and we’ll continue to do that in the way that we’ve been getting about it and we’ll continue to maintain the integrity of strong border protection policies. You don’t get kids off Nauru by putting more on, by having weak border policies. So that’s been a key focus.

They have been getting kids of Nauru in two key ways

1. Having them die
2. Having them get old enough to be classed as adults

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Is anyone aware of systems where the regulatory role has been privatised (like building surveyors in Australia), but to address conflicts of interest an individual private practitioner is appointed to a project by an independent body rather than sources by the person being regulated?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It's wild they've just gotten away with that 'There are no kids in detention' thing from awhile back considering what's happening now

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

norp posted:

1. Having them die
Also, ScoMo Himmler personally held some kids hostage to get Ricky Muir to give Liberals the swing vote on more brutal border laws.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://twitter.com/SenatorCash/status/1054678393722044416

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Why does tone care about Gillard portrait?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Anidav posted:

Probably because he hasn't got one (yet).

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Senor Tron posted:

The Dollop is touring Australia at the moment and when I went to their friday night show it was the history of Nauru from Europeans first encountering it to today.

They just released the episode, it's brutal but worth a listen.

Like much of their material, there is so much more than I was aware of.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Anidav posted:

He wonders if destroying it will kill Gillard.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Good 2 see Cash being backed by Amex

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
For those keeping count of the unnecessary branding road Scott Morrison is forcing us all down, ‘fair go/fair dinkum’ was used 10 times in the press conference he held this morning with Angus Taylor.

Canberra Bubble Canberra Bubble Canberra Bubble

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Lid posted:

For those keeping count of the unnecessary branding road Scott Morrison is forcing us all down, ‘fair go/fair dinkum’ was used 10 times in the press conference he held this morning with Angus Taylor.

Canberra Bubble Canberra Bubble Canberra Bubble

Canberra Bible

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It's not just Oxy Power

It's FAIR DINKUM POWER

*FILTHY SHOWER BECOMES PURE WHITE CLEAN*

*URINAL BECOMES A DRINKING FOUNTAIN*

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I hadn’t noticed, but Labor is setting up for a climbdown on the issue of gay teachers at religious schools. Mark Dreyfus: “Labor has said consistently that we respect the right of religious schools to run their organisations in line with their beliefs and traditions.”

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

BBJoey posted:

I hadn’t noticed, but Labor is setting up for a climbdown on the issue of gay teachers at religious schools. Mark Dreyfus: “Labor has said consistently that we respect the right of religious schools to run their organisations in line with their beliefs and traditions.”

This is because god's word is totes important and we can't have adults filling the minds of babes with unnatural forces like homosinuality and pregnancy outside of marriage

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

It’s cool that even with polling showing an overwhelming majority (>70%) in favour, the ALP still can’t bring themselves to do something unequivocally Good.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

BBJoey posted:

It's because there's a fairly large Catholic faction in Labor, like the Shoppies :ssh:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Cash is in estimates now

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

And “hokey-pokey politics”, is that the other one they’re trying to make happen? I’m not sure what it even means and I’m guessing they don’t either.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Don Dongington posted:

This is it. This is their Children Overboard.

Someone should probably tell them that climate change, energy prices and cost of living/secure work are the bigger issues this year, and that refugee policy isn't really a topic of conversation outside of places like Wentworth where people can still afford a 6th house.

Why the gently caress not? We’ve locked up 600 people in a concentration camp for 5 years. That’s some Donald Trump poo poo and it’s completely at odds with the rest of this compassionate country. It should be on everyone’s lips, but people ignore it. The refugee groups I follow have barely any engagement and the issue is ignored by everyone. Now the focus is on sick kids, but everyone needs to get out of those camps. It’s disgusting!

Is there anything I, a mentally ill broke shut-in with no people or legal skills, can do to help?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

bandaid.friend posted:

Cash is in estimates now

prepare for nothing of value to come out of it

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Count Chocula posted:

Why the gently caress not? We’ve locked up 600 people in a concentration camp for 5 years. That’s some Donald Trump poo poo and it’s completely at odds with the rest of this compassionate country. It should be on everyone’s lips, but people ignore it. The refugee groups I follow have barely any engagement and the issue is ignored by everyone. Now the focus is on sick kids, but everyone needs to get out of those camps. It’s disgusting!

Is there anything I, a mentally ill broke shut-in with no people or legal skills, can do to help?

I don't think we're allowed to advocate for violence on here, sadly. But yeah I'm in the same boat (pun not intended) and it drives me nuts that we're so helpless regarding this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

norp posted:

1. Having them die

You forgot losing court cases and having judges telling them they have to.

• Locked thread