Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
So we're apparently getting a Player's Choice Banner from a 3rd Anniversary Survey a while back, with LMRs for the matching SBs on the banner. It's coming today with a free first pull. No idea about their selection criteria, but for the categories from the original survey 6 months ago from 1st to 5th:

CSB: Zack, Rinoa, Tidus, WoL, Kain
USB: Cloud 1, Orlandeau, OK (pUSB), Tidus 1, Lightning 1
OSB: Orlandeau, Tidus, Noctis, Cloud, Lightning
BSB: Squall 2 (Ice Junction), Cloud 2 (Enwind), Terra 2(Enfire), Ramza 2 (Enholy Shout), Tidus 2 (Instant Water)
SSB: Noctis, Edge 2 (Eblan Doppleganger), Sephiroth 2 (EnDark), Orlandeau, Lightning 2 (EnLightning)

Hopefully they keep Edge on there for all the people who don't have it. It's still quite an amazing SB and being on a fire+ armor makes it even better, and SSBs are going to be just about impossible to grab from now on. Other then that, chains are still nice even if they're 1.0 versions.

Sort of wish we got a more recent survey to work with that was made after Ellara and 2.0 Chains existed, but the first pull probably wouldn't have been free if that was the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

That's pretty nice of them! I'll take my free pull and run as that list is pretty heavily dupes for me (as I imagine will be the case for a lot of longer-term players).

Did the Pharos judges fight; was originally going to do a melee team but someone talked me into running summoners and that was probably for the best as it went very smoothly. With Auron USB1 RW the trick was mostly figuring out how not to die horribly from the relatively quick successive casts of Apocalypse Aero when MM/DMT are needed on people who aren't your healer. The answer: get lucky enough with doublecast procs that you completely skip the normal phase one and only have to deal with it once, which can largely be handled via Curada and a little more doublecast luck.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

8/14 are dupes, but hey, it's free!

The LMR is a dupe, but I definitely can't complain about a free Noctis SSB.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It seems that the distribution between relics types on the 3rd Anniversary draw isn't uniform, since they only have 1 CSB/OSB/SSB and 2 USBs but 4 LMRs and 5 BSBs. Also somehow I had all but two relics on there, including all those LMRs and BSBs.

In any case a free draw is a free draw, so I got lucky and picked up Zack CSB along with two dupes.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Made out with a new shiny Orlandeau OSB. Missed out on it quite a bit, and now I have all his relics. Had my fingers crossed for Zack Chain or Onion LMR too, but no luck there.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i got zack’s chain, it’s one of the less good chains, right?

edit: maybe not going from the guy above me?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

All I got was dupes but I had like 14 of the relics so I'm not really surprised

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

It's good

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i guess what i was thinking of is 1.0 versus 2.0 chains and zacks is squarely in the first? anyway it was literally a free draw and i got a six star out of it so it’s fine

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i should mention that in addition to zacks thing i got a dupe onion legend materia so it’s really insult to injury to the guy above me

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Zack's chain is basically a 2.0 chain in 1.0 clothing. It doesn't have the 50% element boost but it does buff the whole party with 50% attack and a boost to critical damage. It's helpful if you can add critical chance, like with say the bardsong Ode to Victory.

By the way my pull was entirely dupes. Oh well, free is free.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Cowcaster posted:

No damage entry, but double crit damage and Atk+. Plus Zack's got a "haste+3 instacast" dive so he can charge it up very easily.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

3/11, Zack CSB, Cloud USB1, OK LMR, all dupes; to be fair I had everything on the banner but TGC OSB so that's to be expected.

The actual kicker is, OK LMR was my dream selection like a week and a half ago :negative:

And yeah, Zack's chain is real good - it's essentially a gen 2 chain that only goes up to 99, and also ups your crit damage.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i guess the no damage entry threw me a bit. the only other chain i’ve really leveraged is tidus’ and i’ve got his ultra to pair with it so he’s played sweeper for a while now

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

3/11, Tidus Legend Materia, Squall BSB, Orlandeau USB :toot:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Yeah it's a different style of chain, but it has its niche and it's one a physical wind team can capitalize on.

Orlandau OSB for me. One of a handful of non-dupes, unfortunately the other Orlandeau stuff's on that list.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Speaking of this Zack chain, what do you do with him if you have it but no other gear for him? Ripping Blast never seems to do an impressive amount of damage.

I got 3/11 Terra BSB, OK LMR, Noct SSB. The only non-dupes on the banner for me were Terra LMR and Tidus BSB

Sesq fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 24, 2018

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

For the record: Every Chain is Good

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Sesq posted:

Speaking of this Zack chain, what do you do with him if you have it but no other gear for him? Ripping Blast never seems to do an impressive amount of damage.
Ripping Blast (and the new lightning Celerity ability of Ripper Bolt) do more hits based on how many actions you've taken thus far. They start at 3 hits (x.75 each for x2.25 total), then move to 4 hits at 3 actions (x3 total) and end at 5 hits for 5 actions (x3.75 total). To get them going you want to pair them with a good windup, ideally something else of the same element or something else quick like Quick Hit/Powerchain.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Force Stealer #5. Well, at least I'm set for FFVII wind swords.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Sesq posted:

I got 3/11 Terra BSB, OK LMR, Noct SSB. The only non-dupes on the banner for me were Terra LMR and Tidus BSB

We will be getting QuickFlash Disaster soon, I think? Not sure if that helps really, my understanding is it's used to build SB quickly to do other stuff. Ripping Blast seems fine once you get the 5 actions in to get it to 5 hits? It's stronger than Assault Saber at that point, and faster to cast, too, so maybe FDx4->Chain->RB spam will be what you want.

e:f,b, kinda

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Cloud USB1 (dupe), Ramza BSB2 (new!) and Tidus LMR (dupe, but +water armor)

pretty good deal for free, considering I have most of the banner already. Still a drat travesty of a banner, considering it's 6 months late. Dunno who the hell is gonna pull on this aside from the free pull.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

Yeah, even the weakest 1.0 chain is 20% increased damage (additive with enelements and equipment boosts) right off the bat and up to 100% more damage (multiplicative) for that element.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Sexy Free 11X draw gave me Zack chain and Orlandeau OSB

.......Blimey, this has been a pretty good day, and this is a good capoff

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There's also the weird side-case of multi-elemental skills getting boosted by the chain number even when it's impossible to damage the enemy with the chain's actual element (e.g. using Meltdown on an Earth chain to hit a Wind-weak enemy that's immune to Earth damage - Meltdown will still get the +XX% boost from the chain, even though the elemental field is effectively useless). Like, ideally you'd always have the proper element on hand, but it's something you can think about when your options are more limited.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
2x Orlandu's Excalibur Trueblade!!!

Is that good? I'm still finding my feet after coming back a few weeks ago.

I can definitely replace Laguna with Orlandu, at least.

Should I combine them into a seven star or upgrade/save them both?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's extremely good. Don't combine them. Elemental boosts are rare and valuable, and having two characters with a +holy weapon will almost always be better than having one character with a +holy weapon and a little more ATK.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

drat, Zack CSB, Orlandeau USB, Squall BSB and Garland LMR. All but the CSB are dupes, but everything else I'd want on this banner is ALSO a dupe, so I'm pretty freaking happy to have Zack's CSB. I've now got a killer physical wind team, nice!

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
4/11 - Noctis LMR, Ramza BSB 2, and 2x TGCid USB. The USBs are dupes but my 6* options were all pretty much dupes except Cloud USB1 so I'll take a few +holy swords to add to my collection.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Oh hey I also got the TGC overstrike :toot: definitely diving him now. Also Terra burst, for my growing lineup of FF6 bursts.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
3/11 - Squall bsb2 (dupe), ok LMR (dupe), noctis LMR

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
The message about the power up dungeon having ended was very sad to see yesterday. :(

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I had almost everything on the banner but free is free.

3 dupes so I guess that's more legendary stones or whatever in the future.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nihilarian posted:

Not an emptyquote. The "worst" chain is Snow's Ice CSB and that's because he basically has nothing else to do in a team; it's only bad because Snow is bad, not because the chain itself is bad.

If you have to rank them by tier then some are better than others, but Any Chain is better than No Chain.

Fister Roboto posted:

It's extremely good. Don't combine them. Elemental boosts are rare and valuable, and having two characters with a +holy weapon will almost always be better than having one character with a +holy weapon and a little more ATK.

Slightly rewording: Combine them if you have more than enough equivalent (ie similar rarity/weapon-type) +element weapons of that element to outfit your major attackers in a team. Holy is one of the more common element boosts on weapons out there thanks to every game having an Excalibur or ten, so there may come a point where combining it isn't a bad idea.

For now, though, if they're your only two +holy swords, you absolutely want them separate.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Legendary Materias for Tidus and Onion Knight. :saddowns:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

trade you for dupe cloud cycle

i'd get a lot of use out of OK LMR

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Prav posted:

trade you for dupe cloud cycle

i'd get a lot of use out of OK LMR

1/11 dupe Cloud USB1. :negative:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
The only thing I didn't have was Noctis' LMR, got Cloud and Cid's discos.

Does japan have 6 star dark matter yet? I could use some 9 star swords.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

Does japan have 6 star dark matter yet? I could use some 9 star swords.

I think they recently said that that the 6* dark matter was a design space they don't ever expect to use. Instead they're doing the legendary weapons (or w/e they are called) with like 500atk with synergy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

LornMarkus posted:

1/11 dupe Cloud USB1. :negative:

:same:

Not sure what I expected on a 11/14 banner though. I hoped for Zack's chain, but I didn't expect it.