Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
First-time PI poster with a cat behavior question. I have a young female cat named Scout, about 2.5 years old who has lived with my girlfriend and I in this apartment since she was about 8 weeks old.

For the past two weeks or so, Scout has a weird new habit where sometimes she'll sit in the bedroom mewling sadly for several minutes at a time. She'll stop if you go in the bedroom and lay down on the bed with her, but after a few minutes she'll get up and walk away, so you'll get up and leave and then she'll start up again. If I pick her up and take her into the living room with me, she'll run back into the bedroom and start crying again. It HAS to be the bedroom for her.

She doesn't appear to be in any pain, and when she's not doing this, she's acting perfectly normal. I just don't know why she's acting distressed in the bedroom sometimes? Do I ignore it? Should I be worried?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I have two cats that are littermates. The male cat has a habit of chewing the female's whiskers when they are grooming. She doesn't seem to mind (and has no problem asserting agency or bodily autonomy) so I assume it's OK but I've never seen this before.

edit: pic because I love these guys

That is a fantastic picture.

My fatto boy gets drooly when he's purring really hard, most notably when I scoop him up at bedtime to lay next to me for a bit. If I put my hand where his head was, it's just a pool of saliva. That's pretty much the only time it happens with more than a drop or two. As far as I've seen so far the kitten is drool free.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vargo posted:

First-time PI poster with a cat behavior question. I have a young female cat named Scout, about 2.5 years old who has lived with my girlfriend and I in this apartment since she was about 8 weeks old.

For the past two weeks or so, Scout has a weird new habit where sometimes she'll sit in the bedroom mewling sadly for several minutes at a time. She'll stop if you go in the bedroom and lay down on the bed with her, but after a few minutes she'll get up and walk away, so you'll get up and leave and then she'll start up again. If I pick her up and take her into the living room with me, she'll run back into the bedroom and start crying again. It HAS to be the bedroom for her.

She doesn't appear to be in any pain, and when she's not doing this, she's acting perfectly normal. I just don't know why she's acting distressed in the bedroom sometimes? Do I ignore it? Should I be worried?

Diagnosis: is a cat.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Hey thread!

My parents have a young cat (~6 months old) Brunhilde that was born in their house, the mom Nova still lives there. They're past the worst gtfo-phase: Nova tolerates Brunhilde as long as she doesn't get too annoying. Brunhilde is very friendly and loves human contact, even with strangers. There were no real issues housebreaking her. My parents live in a house with a yard, and they're both fine going in & out on their own.

However, Brunhilde keeps having accidents, peeing & pooping outside the trays (two in the cellar where the cat door is and currently one in the kitchen as well). Often it seems like she really has to go, and can't figure out where to go so she crawls under a bookshelf or something to poo poo there. This is naturally upsetting to my parents so they've been restricting her area when unattended (putting her in the cellar, or closing all doors to the kitchen with the tray), which doesn't work.

Last night we were watching a movie and Brunhilde started looking under the bookshelves and dad put her in the kitchen, I got up and looked and saw her going down the cellar stairs so we were like "whew". Later, mom discovered that she'd pooped on a throw rug down there & digged on it so the rug had folded over the poop.

Still she does use her tray and in fact did just this morning, though she did display the seeking behaviour before doing so and didn't go in the tray until my dad went over and was like "what are you doing? That's not where to go" (she was trying to get under a closet). Then she was like "oh right" and went in the tray without being touched or yelled at or anything.

So they're at a loss. What's up?

Additional info:
- before Brunhilde was born, Nova had a kitten who after living several years without issues eventually got FIP (wet) and was put down.
- my folks have had several cats over the last 50+ years & haven't had any of them act like this.
- Brunhilde sometimes gets a all loopy and storms around, but that's not that strange I think.
- both cats are on the pill

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Cythereal posted:

Diagnosis: is a cat.

Yeah, I thought it might be this. I just figured I'd ask since it's a very new behavior and she sounds SO DISTRESSED when she does it.

Here, have a picture of Scout and cat-friend Gulliver:

Bonus Scout yawn:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

From Scout's perspective she's discovered a guaranteed way to make her human pay attention to her and pet her. Her actions are perfectly logical to her.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
My friend's cats (littermates) are so dumb. There's a big scary cat outside that gets them so riled up and confused they start attacking each other and have to be separated for up to 6 hours.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

computer angel posted:

My friend's cats (littermates) are so dumb. There's a big scary cat outside that gets them so riled up and confused they start attacking each other and have to be separated for up to 6 hours.

I think outdoor cats do this on purpose.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Hi cat people.

My two cats (both around 10) have been fine and healthy for a few years, thank god. We’ve been having issues with them peeing on stuff in our hallway recently (upstairs and a room away from our bedroom).

Every morning they knock on our bedroom door until we feed them, so my guess is revenge pee when we refuse to feed them until a reasonable time (7am instead of like, 4-5am).

No strange behaviors otherwise. Thoughts?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kw0134 posted:

From Scout's perspective she's discovered a guaranteed way to make her human pay attention to her and pet her. Her actions are perfectly logical to her.

This. She is not distressed. She has learned a way to make you do what she wants.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Duckman2008 posted:

Hi cat people.

My two cats (both around 10) have been fine and healthy for a few years, thank god. We’ve been having issues with them peeing on stuff in our hallway recently (upstairs and a room away from our bedroom).

Every morning they knock on our bedroom door until we feed them, so my guess is revenge pee when we refuse to feed them until a reasonable time (7am instead of like, 4-5am).

No strange behaviors otherwise. Thoughts?

Revenge pee like this seems unlikely. Someone might have a pee problem and now the hall smells like a pee place. Have you used an enzymatic cleaner? Can you take the cats to the vet for a checkup?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Revenge pee like this seems unlikely. Someone might have a pee problem and now the hall smells like a pee place. Have you used an enzymatic cleaner? Can you take the cats to the vet for a checkup?

They just had a checkup about 3 months ago, everything was normal. I’ll look into that cleanse though.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Duckman2008 posted:

I’ll look into that cleanse though.

Nature's Miracle Advanced formula. Don't have pets without it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Krankenstyle posted:

Hey thread!

My parents have a young cat (~6 months old) Brunhilde that was born in their house, the mom Nova still lives there. They're past the worst gtfo-phase: Nova tolerates Brunhilde as long as she doesn't get too annoying. Brunhilde is very friendly and loves human contact, even with strangers. There were no real issues housebreaking her. My parents live in a house with a yard, and they're both fine going in & out on their own.

However, Brunhilde keeps having accidents, peeing & pooping outside the trays (two in the cellar where the cat door is and currently one in the kitchen as well). Often it seems like she really has to go, and can't figure out where to go so she crawls under a bookshelf or something to poo poo there. This is naturally upsetting to my parents so they've been restricting her area when unattended (putting her in the cellar, or closing all doors to the kitchen with the tray), which doesn't work.

Last night we were watching a movie and Brunhilde started looking under the bookshelves and dad put her in the kitchen, I got up and looked and saw her going down the cellar stairs so we were like "whew". Later, mom discovered that she'd pooped on a throw rug down there & digged on it so the rug had folded over the poop.

Still she does use her tray and in fact did just this morning, though she did display the seeking behaviour before doing so and didn't go in the tray until my dad went over and was like "what are you doing? That's not where to go" (she was trying to get under a closet). Then she was like "oh right" and went in the tray without being touched or yelled at or anything.

So they're at a loss. What's up?

Additional info:
- before Brunhilde was born, Nova had a kitten who after living several years without issues eventually got FIP (wet) and was put down.
- my folks have had several cats over the last 50+ years & haven't had any of them act like this.
- Brunhilde sometimes gets a all loopy and storms around, but that's not that strange I think.
- both cats are on the pill

Maybe see if Cat Attract litter helps?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Rexie surgery update:

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Rexie had her stitches out a few days ago and the new diet and medication seem to be having an immediate effect. She's totally back to normal.

https://i.imgur.com/RuZJJr4.mp4

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Rexie surgery update:

That cat wheel rules and I want one now.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

effika posted:

Maybe see if Cat Attract litter helps?

Ooh yeah I see the goon testimonials in the op. Gonna try getting some.

My folks are talking about putting her down if they can't figure a way. I really like her but can't take her as I live in an apartment :(

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Ooh yeah I see the goon testimonials in the op. Gonna try getting some.

My folks are talking about putting her down if they can't figure a way. I really like her but can't take her as I live in an apartment :(

They would euthanize a 6 month old cat instead of rehoming her? What the everliving gently caress are they thinking?
Buy the Cat Attract and throw it at their heads. Get the really big one.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Our one-eared Kitty is seems to be nearing his end. He hasn't eaten anything at all in almost a week now. We've taken him off all of his regular palliative cancer meds and started him on a new appetite stimulant a couple days ago, but to no avail so far. :(

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Stairs posted:

They would euthanize a 6 month old cat instead of rehoming her? What the everliving gently caress are they thinking?
Buy the Cat Attract and throw it at their heads. Get the really big one.

They're the pragmatic pets-are-animals type :shrug:

Attract stuff is ordered, so we'll see.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I hope everything goes well :ohdear:

I now also want a catwheel. I have no room for it though.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

They're the pragmatic pets-are-animals type :shrug:

Attract stuff is ordered, so we'll see.

Well yeah, but she can still be someone else's animal.
If the litter doesn't work, offer to be the one to take her to be put down and take her to a no-kill instead if you have one locally. I just cannot comprehend that level of not-giving-a-poo poo. I'm sure you love your folks and I'm not disparaging them as human beings, but people with that mentality shouldn't be allowed to have pets.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It's fine, I have no opinion on what you think about my parents. I should mention that they're of the mind that if it's caused by disease, they'd rather put her down than prolong her suffering & stress her out with repeated vet visits. That's what ended up happening with the prior kitten who got FIP at age 7. At the time, there were only solutions for partial symptom treatment but nothing that would cure her (no idea about now). It would just become gradually worse until she became too bloated to eat/breathe and died.

I see no reason they'd be against rehoming her, but nobody's gonna take a cat that shits all over unless you don't tell them about it & that's hosed up. And anyway, there are only a few shelters in my country, none of them nearby, and they only accept new cats by appointment.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Krankenstyle posted:

I see no reason they'd be against rehoming her, but nobody's gonna take a cat that shits all over unless you don't tell them about it & that's hosed up. And anyway, there are only a few shelters in my country, none of them nearby, and they only accept new cats by appointment.

If you live somewhere rural, have you looked into barn cat programs? They place cats that have issues living as indoor pets (sometimes behavioral, often related to elimination) with people looking for cats to live in barns for farm pest control. It might be an option here.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

aint no way i'm risking buying a $200 cat wheel and having them not use it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Deviant posted:

aint no way i'm risking buying a $200 cat wheel and having them not use it

Yeah I've already been burned to the tune of a couple hundred dollars on cat things the cat was either completely uninterested in or was only interested in for like 5 minutes before being bored with it forever. All she gets now are cheap toys, lots of string, and the occasional DIY project for her to climb on.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Antivehicular posted:

If you live somewhere rural, have you looked into barn cat programs? They place cats that have issues living as indoor pets (sometimes behavioral, often related to elimination) with people looking for cats to live in barns for farm pest control. It might be an option here.

Never heard of that, but I'll look into it, thx. Although the other day I did see a lady on tinder who claimed to live in a barn with 25 cats, maybe I should try and match her if she comes up again lol

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Note: I have successfully educated my 20-year-old roommate on just how painful it is for female cats to be in heat or dealing with hormonal issues during what amounts to a very significant portion of their life if they are unspayed, and reminded him of all the pain and blood and yowling that is a constant part of life with an unspayed female, and I talked of course about the other set of challenges with male cats and dogs... I pointed out that spayed/neutered pets (especially female csts live much longer, healthier, safer lives. I think the selling point was showing just how many more cats and dogs die because of both unwanted pregnancies and overpopulation and that spaying or neutering your pet is a responsibility not just to your pet, but to the community as a whole, and that it has nothing to do with the ethics of sexuality as any human perceives it. And how many families get pets, do not spay or neuter them because of some demented "principle having more to do with human sexuality, discover that their pet is really difficult to live with because of 'behavioral issues' that is natural behavior to unneautered/spayed pets, and a lot of them just dump the pet somewhere off some local high way and sa Seem to have gotten through to him. He's a good kid, really.

And also Jackie really likes him - she actually lets him pick her up and cuddle her to his chest and nuzzle her big soft belly. Jackie is so big and incredibly soft and floofy as well as almost unbelievably nice-smelling that it's SO difficult to resist nuzzling your face in her soft fur, especially because she allows (and even enjoys) the attention.

It's actually funny just HOW MUCH my two new roommates like and adore Jackie. It's so funny, because when we moved in I was very clear that I was going to pay for all her food and kitty litter and toys, clean up after her, s1coop her box every day, sweep up any kitty litter she might track around or kick up, etc... Now, a month and a half into living together, they have both utterly fallen for Jackie and are now offering to help me pay for cat food, which is fantastic because I can now feed her nicer cat food that she likes WAY more. They also want to contribute to getting a cat tree/platform for her to give her more access to the windows and looking outside at all the birds and trees, which is even more fantastic.

And you know... Winning them over lack that is all down to Jackie, she really can charm the HELL out of any human and be incredibly adorable and endearing. And good for her, I say. But it also like... Makes me feel validated in my feelings that Jackie wasn't just a very good cat but a truly exceptionally good cat, at least in the sense that her basic behavior is something of an exception for most cats. For instance, Jackie has never had a single bad or painful experience from a human. At no point did anyone ever toss or kick or hurt this cat in ANY way at any time, and we know that and it really shows in her personality; she trusts humans WAY more than any other animal.

Actually I think one of the big reasons she trusts humans so much as well because she was absolutely the runt of what was a fairly big litter of kitten (8 or 9 I think) and even as a kitten was never quite strong enough to get a nipple all to herself for very long before a bigger kitten would kick her off it in spite. Apparently she was the one kitten who had to bed formula additionally to grow, and because of this and the fact that she wasn't quite so accepted by her littermates she was always cudding up to the humans who actually fed her and just really attached to them.

I think that's the story of why Jackie is the way she is - so incredibly friendly and snuggley and tolerant of humans.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 23, 2018

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Describing this floof ball without pics should be bannable

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Me and my cat

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Me and my cat

Too drat real

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Synthbuttrange posted:

Me and my cat

This might be the most relatable thing on the forums right now.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Me and my cat

:same:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Took Tuna in for his annual checkup today. Not only is he in good health, he shed two pounds and he reached his ideal weight! :toot:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my cat is 15 and spent her first 12 years as an inside-outside cat with no real schedule

in 2016 we moved from a house into a 1br apartment on the third floor. she's got a big balcony and loves it, spending a lot of the day out there. but i got her a leash to take her out on walks and she loves it so much she's driving me up the wall. i want to just let her out of my apartment like she's used to, but it's so high up iunno about her being able to remember where she lives. also there are coyotes at night. do outside apartment cats exist?? my cat wants to be outside so much and so often that i can't keep up

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I would love to know that too. I live in an appartment and I wanna show my cats snow when it snows. So i really really hope it lands on the balcony. so they can play around.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I also live in a third-floor apartment with a balcony, so whenever the weather's even a bit warm I just leave the balcony door open when I'm home and awake. My cats love hanging out there, lying in the sun or investigating my mini herb garden. They also squeeze through the fence between mine and my neighbours balcony, which I really need to seal up...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

floofyscorp posted:

I also live in a third-floor apartment with a balcony, so whenever the weather's even a bit warm I just leave the balcony door open when I'm home and awake. My cats love hanging out there, lying in the sun or investigating my mini herb garden. They also squeeze through the fence between mine and my neighbours balcony, which I really need to seal up...

yeah i've got a big space out there and it's fine, but the cat wants everything and wants to go downstairs and play with the deer and raccoons and skunks or whatever

she just wants to be on the ground level, which i totally understand. we've trusted her for a decade in an open suburb with forests and stuff nearby; can I trust her with going down two flights of concrete steps and coming back up to scratch at the door?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

floofyscorp posted:

I always wanted to let my cats do this but we're 7 stories up and I don't trust my dummies to not try and jump on the railing or something stupid like that. I know they make floor-to-ceiling mesh things you can buy that seal it up but that seems like a whole lot of work and money so they're stuck inside :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

explosivo posted:

I always wanted to let my cats do this but we're 7 stories up and I don't trust my dummies to not try and jump on the railing or something stupid like that. I know they make floor-to-ceiling mesh things you can buy that seal it up but that seems like a whole lot of work and money so they're stuck inside :smith:

I was worried that my two might try that but they've happily shown zero interest in standing on the railing, possibly because they can see down to the street just fine through the glass panel below it. Also I've wound a string of fairy lights around the railing so maybe that puts them off it as well.

On the other hand, I found out that if I leave the window in the bedroom open wider than a couple inches Cinnamon likes to jump up and perch, somehow, on the edge of the sill over a three-storey sheer drop. I very nearly died of terror the first time she did that.