Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Does Homecoming have a decent intro/recap for returning players? The PTR just chucks you into matches without even mentioning the massive fundamental changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Thronebreaker is really fun so far. Just a few hours in but I love it. I'm so glad the card game is gorgeous now, but I really love the cel shaded hand drawn look everything has in Thronebreaker. Meve's a bad rear end and I'm waiting for the game to unload a can of story driven whupass on me because Nilfgaardians are crafty bastards.

And then I log in to homecoming to see what all I got, and have to click through like 25 pages of rewards and got 30 kegs from reward tracks and direct rewards, on top of having 200,000 scrap from playing the open beta. :v: Thanks CDPR!

Oh, and they made keg opening suuuper fast! You can reveal all the cards and make your 1 of 3 choice in 3 total clicks now, it's great.

Steve2911 posted:

Does Homecoming have a decent intro/recap for returning players? The PTR just chucks you into matches without even mentioning the massive fundamental changes.

Yup, there's a very in depth tutorial featuring Geralt and Dandelion and that introduces you to the new progression system.

Minera fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 23, 2018

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Trip report: Thronebreaker is sick. It's dope

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I'm glad I can still play nilfgaard with mostly cards that copy my opponent's cards! Time will tell if it will be functional, but I can try!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Man I want thronebreaker. Post W3 gwent virgin. How will I do jumping into thronebreaker knowing nothing and also being bad at card games.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Man I want thronebreaker. Post W3 gwent virgin. How will I do jumping into thronebreaker knowing nothing and also being bad at card games.

There's three difficulty tiers, so if you pick easy it should be very very pick up and play friendly.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Installed the online Gwent after not touching it for a year and already in the initial intro, the video+subtitles and the audio are out of sync. Walppppp.

Bombadilillo posted:

The free-to-play Gwent seems to have a pretty thorough tutorial, try that.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is there some type of crafting guide for homecoming yet?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
ok all the leaders are playable right now people are playing crazy stuff.

The strongest leaders look like eithne for scoia, foltest for NR, possibly usurper for ng, either harald or bran for skellige, elder for monsters if you're not abusing eredin.

Avallach and vanilla Ciri are way undercosted and trade evenly with their best answer (dorregaray), which is very stupid, run them in everything.

The strongest neutrals are still the silver witchers, then avallach, ciri, then balanced but commonly played are dorregaray/aguara.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Game(s) very good. Enjoying fooling around with unseen elder deathwish deck.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The golden animations in this are really really dope. Like, this is the first time I've ever been tempted to go for them.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ok the tutorial's great. And oddly makes me want Thronebreaker more.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So much scrap yet no idea what to craft.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Steve2911 posted:

Ok the tutorial's great. And oddly makes me want Thronebreaker more.

throne breaker is that but better

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Some of the puzzles and unique fights are super cool, very imaginative situations.
And the good writing and voice acting elevates the experience.

edit: the intro of both Gwent and Thronebreaker have the same protagonist, a mysterious prisoner who tells stories, while he is being transported by his captors, some mercenaries. I guess the will explain the meaning of that at the end of Thronebreaker.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 23, 2018

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

is mulligan bugged or something, I swear it skipped mine like 2 times in a row

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You get a limited number of mulligans per game... on PTR sometimes i wouldnt get any mulligans round one at all though, shame to hear that might still be around.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Thronebreaker is fun and the card puzzles are enjoyable. In fact I'm finding the puzzles and weird scenarios way more enjoyable than regular card matches against the AI. The story and voice acting is solid so far, too.

Just logged into Gwent and after completing the tutorial and opening 20 kegs, I now have to decide what I want to do with my 70,000(!) scrap. Gonna sleep on that one.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

nevermind I was just playing Usurper and didn't notice that detail of my Leader rofl

I'm very bad at card games

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The coin flip fix and the changes to hand size / card draw are...actually good, I think? Having fun so far, though I do still think the 2x limit on bronze units makes decks feel cohesive / thematic, and there are a decent number of cards that literally every single deck is running because they're just best in class outside of extreme niche cases. It doesn't feel like there's as much strategy as the original Gwent yet, but maybe that will develop more as a meta solidifies and new mechanics (hopefully) get introduced later on.

The biggest factor is gonna be how responsive they are to making changes / fiddling with balance stuff. The old Gwent had totally busted poo poo just sitting around for like 6+ months at times, and this game is gonna die on the vine if that happens again, I think.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I hated old Gwent

I love this

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
thronebreaker is nice so far

no rape yet!!

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
I miss the consistency of all the great tutors that used to be around, but nugwent seems more fair.

Enjoying the poo poo out of thronebreaker so much that I'm not doing the multiplayer as much as I thought I would. Puzzles are rad!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Really surprised that all of this isnt a huge failure, will try Thronebreaker this weekend.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
It's going to take a while before I stop messing up the card advantage math. Changing to 10 cards max with 3 draws each round has been the biggest difference in overall strategy that I've noticed. Going a card down to win round 1 is no different than winning on even cards as long as you have 4+ in hand, and dry-passing round 2 also makes no difference in CA if both players have 7+.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Simone Poodoin posted:

Really surprised that all of this isnt a huge failure, will try Thronebreaker this weekend.
Who could have guessed that the makers of witcher3 could make a compelling story driven lite-RPG...

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

The open-world part is kind of a slog, but otherwise it's a fun card game.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Is it just me or the starting decks suck major rear end? At least the Monster and NR ones, I've been trying to win with them all day long and I feel like they don't have much synergy?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Azran posted:

Is it just me or the starting decks suck major rear end? At least the Monster and NR ones, I've been trying to win with them all day long and I feel like they don't have much synergy?

I just built a Deathwish Monsters deck that seems passable although probably not perfect.

My funniest lost was when this Nilfgaard jerk stole my Phoenix off the top of my deck right before I was about to draw and play it with Dandelion (who incidentally is one of the cards I may replace, although a totally free deck thinner 4 power dude ain't half bad and triggers Thrive on my flower dudes).

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Azran posted:

All the starter decks are extremely poo poo. If youre coming into this without lots of scraps from pre-HC youre gonna have a miserable time

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Is there a thronebreaker thread or is it just here?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Southpaugh posted:

Is there a thronebreaker thread or is it just here?

Think it's just here. Feel free to post! How are you liking it?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Got thronebreaker last night. Very interesting and fun so far, got about maybe 40 minutes of milling around past the tutorial area. I'm not a huge card game person, but I've been falling in an out of gwent since the witcher 3 and was in the multiplayer beta. Found multiplayer very fun but not enthusiastic enough about it to keep up with metas. Stopped playing with any regularity when it was all unbeatable Northern realms decks getting spammed.

Thronebreaker however, lots of stuff has changed and despite a good tutorial I feel like it assumes you've been playing gwent up to the current release because the first time my cards got shuffled around by a strays slinger I was shook!

Very cool and go so far, the puzzle missions are good fun and very satisfying once you've solved them. Looking forward to getting more stuck into it.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
New Gwent is good, I think I like it better than old Gwent. Rows actually matter a tiny bit, wow!

Been trying to make a Northern Realms Revenant deck that's not poo poo without much success. This morning I switched over to playing the monsters archetype that's all about making one dude with a big number and that's been pretty great since not a lot of people seem to be running Scorch.

Still need to try Thronebreaker at some point, but I love me some multiplayer Gwent.

edit: Keltullus is dope

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 24, 2018

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

In what difficulty you are playing, people?

I selected Hard because I read in some review that it was a bit too easy. For now I played three hours and the game isn't hard, but I'm still in the first map, maybe from the second map onwards it will be harder.
I wonder if the difficulty affects somehow the puzzle encounters? They are very 'scripted', so I doubt it. Maybe in the next puzzle I will try to play it twice, on Normal and on Hard, to see if there is any changes.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You can faceroll all of TB on hard so far with 5x scythe guys, 3x thinner guys, 4x arbalest, 4x drummers, odo, meev's starter ability and whatever else you have, every fight is easy and if you draw rayla it's immediately over by going rayla into xavier, then odo (i'm at the end of map 2). i'm only using 63/200 provisions and I think my deck is close to optimal, theres no relationship between provisions and power level.

The puzzles have been really mild so far, maybe a few I had to repeat a few times but nothing like the harder Boomsday puzzles (thank god).

I have more faith in puzzle difficulty scaling than the normal battle difficulty but maybe I'll be surprised, who knows.

As a warning - there is a permanently missable gwent unlockable early on in the game - there's a bandit who's being smug and says you cant hang him because he knows where treasure is, and if you do hang him you won't be able to get a treasure chest unlocking premium strays of spalla. Really really dumb implementation especially because almost everyone will do the thing that makes them miss out on the unlockable.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 24, 2018

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

No Wave posted:

As a warning - there is a permanently missable gwent unlockable early on in the game - there's a bandit who's being smug and says you cant hang him because he knows where treasure is, and if you do hang him you won't be able to get a treasure chest unlocking premium strays of spalla. Really really dumb implementation especially because almost everyone will do the thing that makes them miss out on the unlockable.

Ah, so that's why I was 9/10. After searching for it and concluding it must've been a story hook, I just decided I'd do a second run through in the future to grab any premium poo poo I missed on the lowest difficulty or something.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

it's very early in the game, I'm just praying it doesnt happen on map 3/4/5.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Is it the one in the shed just outside the first village?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think so yes. Pretty much everyone will miss it, it's a dumb out of game punishment for engaging with your character's role and behaving appropriately.