Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/physorg_com/status/1054797375183695874?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rodatose posted:

the reverse of that is gentrification, where richer white people go "hey living in cities is actually more efficient," move back to the cities and as a result poor people get pushed out from rising costs. then poor people are forced into homelessness or to the suburbs where there's nothing in way of funded infrastructure and you get some libertarian ferguson situation where all elected office is a bunch of non-representative whites who deliberately harass, fine and brutalize the non-white population to fund themselves

gentrification loving sucks and it has ripple effects on surrounding cities/communities as less wealthy people are pushed out. my city is experiencing this right now as people are fleeing the big city looking for lower cost living, but at the same time raising the cost of living there to the point that livable wages just two years ago even with 'cost of living' raises in the mean time are just paycheck to paycheck now

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
gentrification is cool when it's urban infill with higher density housing and new transit infrastructure instead of just wealthy people moving in a renovating what's already there and solidifying their nimby strangleholds on existing zoning/density restrictions in order to drive up land value by limiting the housing supply

natural disasters can actually facilitate an increase in housing through making this kinda infill easier to accomplish (by damaging and destroying existing structures and allowing for loosened construction restrictions)

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Lawman 0 posted:

sir this is a state collapse

when you're right, you're right

I am legitimately ashamed that I implied that the United States government gives two shits about anything related to climate change

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

thank god this is happening on some kind of earth 2 with its own fantastical continental structure

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

This is some real heinous poo poo

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ah, imposing budget austerity to punish a territory for getting in an economic downturn

and then getting drunk with its girlfriend Maria and shithousing itself! How irresponsible!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nebakenezzer posted:

Ah, imposing budget austerity to punish a territory for getting in an economic downturn

and then getting drunk with its girlfriend Maria and shithousing itself! How irresponsible!

that maria was no angel

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bro Dad posted:

You ever been west of Miami? Because all those little towns like Florida City are still mostly wrecked from loving Hurricane Andrew

More and more of America will turn into that soon. We're already a third-world country, soon we will look like one too

How's recovery going in New Orleans?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
maybe its time for a new new orleans

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

maybe its time for a new new orleans

i feel like these are hold steady lyrics

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Weather_West/status/1055118925812314112

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
these thread titles are A+

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Megillah Gorilla posted:

How's recovery going in New Orleans?

p great actually

the feds spent around $20bil on a new system of floodworks to protect it against cat3 storms for the next 150 years which, since the design takes into account sea level rise, means that for the next 70 it should withstand cat5. all that was completed in 2012

it's an extremely important port after all

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
the townships outside of the levee system, those aren't doin so hot

i don't have high hopes that coastal places like slidell and bay st louis are gonna be around in a few decades

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
looking forward to people trying to get into the island fortress of new orleans

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Over Easy posted:

This is some real heinous poo poo

best part is our governor is a neoliberal rich-boy failson who only got the job because his daddy* was governor in the 90s. He was hoping to bring in charter schools and privatize parts of our public infrastructure. be careful what you wish for bro!!!

*Pedro Rosselló; dude's administration was so crooked that his name was synonymous with political corruption for a while

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

looking forward to people trying to get into the island fortress of new orleans

it's already an island

the only ways in and out are over longass bridges or by boat

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/SteveBowenWx/status/1055128646023872514

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

jesus

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

holy poo poo under 900mbar that is a doomstorm

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/NOAASatellites/status/1055164116585889792

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

:smugdon:

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Tinian got kamikaze’d again.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

if someone's still alive on tinian I hope they got some badass pics/video of being in the eye

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Cmon noreaster, gently caress me up fam

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Feranon posted:

if someone's still alive on tinian I hope they got some badass pics/video of being in the eye

yikes

https://twitter.com/emuna670/status/1055719072300584960?s=19

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Saipan footage is super scary. Did we ever find anything about Tinian?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

"hmm so why did they bother putting this footage onliOH drat"

:eyepop:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

did i just watch a man die

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:stare: holy poo poo

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

so uh, did we ever hear anything about guam and saipan? it seems like we got one video and nothing else. WHY WASNT JEFF THERE?

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I love how we now live in the era of stealth hurricanes where they can appear without warning, cause massive damage, and disappear in November

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
hurricane season ends november 30th

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Is there some procedural convention for if hurricanes form after the end of the season?

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012

the bitcoin of weed posted:

did i just watch a man die

no if you look closely he shows up on the bottom left camera after the hurrisplosion

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Addamere posted:

Is there some procedural convention for if hurricanes form after the end of the season?

Procedural in what way?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah, basically you should take down your hurricane decorations when you’re ready to put up your Christmas decorations, that’s just a “life pro tip” that I go by

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xelkelvos posted:

Procedural in what way?

I'm just curious if there's some sort of funny procedural or legal thing that says, for example, a Cat 5 superstorm nailing NYC in December can't be called a hurricane due to it technically falling outside hurricane season so instead it's just the Winter 2018 Nor'easter, or maybe there can't be hurricane chasers during it because we sent them all home for the off-season, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
it's a season like how tomatoes have a season