Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nen is great alchemy is usually kind of boring.

Especially generic Alchemy that doesn’t see to have any rules and is usually the same thing every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Fabricated posted:

Watamote has almost become sweet to a degree. The first bulk of the manga is Tomoko basically almost never interacting with people and having panic attacks or being humiliated by the circumstances every time- to the point it was basically a gag-manga of how she'd be humiliated every chapter.

Now (by a mixture of accidents and Tomoko basically just being "gently caress it" and being herself off and on) has some friends and regularly goes out and does stuff with them. Now her big thing isn't just trying not to die interacting with anyone but rather stuff like worrying coming off like she favors one of her friends over another or causing fights between other people. I think even if it's by accident the series has done a good job of showing what growing up is like- because now that we're seeing what all of her friends and acquaintances are really like they're all about as "weird" as Tomoko to varying degrees. The big tough delinquent girl is basically mentally a 12 year-old with what she likes (she's literally entranced by Disneyland), the girl that's obsessed with Tomoko's brother is at least as pathetic as early Tomoko, the rest of her friends all have their own nerdy hobbies/desires/etc.

The bit where Tomoko breaks the brain of one her friends by explaining the seiyuu industry and what it takes to break in is pretty loving funny.

The Disneyland and college visit arcs are straight up adorable.

On another note, looking for some action/fighting poo poo to turn my brain off to when I want to just lie on the couch after work. Is seven deadly sins decent? Got hulu/Netflix/prime video to watch poo poo on. Preferably dubbed so I don't have to read.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Zerilan posted:

On another note, looking for some action/fighting poo poo to turn my brain off to when I want to just lie on the couch after work. Is seven deadly sins decent? Got hulu/Netflix/prime video to watch poo poo on. Preferably dubbed so I don't have to read.
Action/fighting to turn your brain off to is a very good description of the shounen manga/anime Seven Deadly Sins.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The greatest sin is that it was not Kongou Banchou that got an anime.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Seven Deadly Sins is a lot of fun. I've only watched the first season but once I get the time I'm looking forward to getting to the new one, and the dub is very good so no worries there. Only complaint I have is the lame perv humor with Melodias and Elizabeth, but it only really feels like a problem super early on, once other characters join the group the tit and rear end grabbing gags get spaced out a bit further.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm in the middle of the Disneyland arc in watamote and as tomoko becomes more normal, many of her friends are becoming more unhinged. Especially ucchi and that girl who likes tomoko's brother but isn't the library girl.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol annihilated

Edit: HOLY poo poo THE MIND BREAK, GOD drat TOMOKO, SHE'S ALREADY DEAD

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 18, 2018

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Zerilan posted:

The Disneyland and college visit arcs are straight up adorable.

I'm not sure which of these are or are not on streaming services, but Magi is pretty comfy if you're leaning more towards action-adventure, and Yu Yu Hakusho is basically the pinnacle of dumb fun fights that aren't Jojos.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If things have genuinely gotten better for her in Watamote I may have to revisit it. I started reading it a long time ago and it was just a bit too much.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

chumbler posted:

If things have genuinely gotten better for her in Watamote I may have to revisit it. I started reading it a long time ago and it was just a bit too much.
It has moved on from basically being all about Tomoko utterly humiliating herself to something pretty different, it's just now that other people take turns in the barrel and Tomoko has people in her life you could actually call friends.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And tomoko still occasionally blows herself up, it's just now there's other girls to self-destruct in horribly cringey ways

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

chumbler posted:

You should. I couldn't handle Watamote's original form at all but now it's hilarious and heartwarming.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah I also just gave the manga a second try a few months back are randomly reading a recent chapter and I'm keeping up with it now.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

chumbler posted:

The greatest sin is that it was not Kongou Banchou that got an anime.

Manime is all but dead.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brought To You By posted:

Manime is all but dead.

Isn't Jojo extremely popular though?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The greatest magic system is boxing.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The greatest magic system is boxing.

Kekkaishi? :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
:holymoley:

The humor in watamote is still relatively cringe but nowhere near, not even close, to the early chapters. The scuffle in the cafeteria was some grade-A cringe though. The series definitely feels like it settled into a more reasonable setting at one point with tomoko actually having not batshit crazy 4channer thought processes constantly. Only relatively often.

Nemo has also almost totally stolen the show whenever she's around

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 18, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the latest chapter of eden's zero is peak horniness from the author

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Glad I decided not to read it at work then.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

the latest chapter of eden's zero is peak horniness from the author

I guess you gotta dress up exposition somehow, better T&A than standing around in a room chatting for the Mashima.

Only Happy was naked and bound though, so this is unfortunately far from his peak.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Isn't Jojo extremely popular though?

We've entered into the post HnK Jojo stuff. Men are still men but now they are more fabulous than ripped. Bruno is still one of my favorite characters though.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

TriffTshngo posted:

Seven Deadly Sins is a lot of fun. I've only watched the first season but once I get the time I'm looking forward to getting to the new one, and the dub is very good so no worries there. Only complaint I have is the lame perv humor with Melodias and Elizabeth, but it only really feels like a problem super early on, once other characters join the group the tit and rear end grabbing gags get spaced out a bit further.

I really like the way the artist draws hair, especially Elizabeths. It reminds me a lot of how Toriyama draws his poofy hair, like afro Bulma and Ranfan. Its really nice.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

e: My posts only showed up after I made a second post. Wierd

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
his early sexual harassment is really weird in light of recent revelations about exactly what elizabeth's deal is.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

his early sexual harassment is really weird in light of recent revelations about exactly what elizabeth's deal is.

Whats her deal? I stopped reading years ago, like, when the sixth deadly sin showed up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she's an angel who was cursed to meet meliodas over and over again before ineluctably dying at the same young age. if she recovers her memory, she dies in 3 days instead. it's punishment for both of them.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Suddenly I'm reminded I still haven't beaten P4G.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

I love how at this point she can talk casually with most of the girls just fine but is still totally flustered when talking to Katou :kimchi:

edit:

Captain Invictus posted:

Nemo has also almost totally stolen the show whenever she's around

Totally true of today's chapter

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 19, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is legit a perfect example of how far tomoko has come, she's still at her core her, but has grown a lot.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I like that Tomoko's been self-reflective and kinda realized how grating she was in the past too. Being able to look back and realize, "Oh yeah, I was like that because so and so, guess it's not like that anymore" is kinda cool and it's really made a lot of her cringey bitterness disappear.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
New we can't study

I'm not that big of a fan of sensei focused chapters, but I enjoyed this chapter.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

They need to do some new things with Sensei. She's also better if she has other characters to bounce off of.

I do like how Yuiga has developed a sixth sense regarding her cleaning habits.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Looking at the previous page, I remembered something I wanted to ask. Do you know if any fighting/action series has a power system called Prana?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Mraagvpeine posted:

Looking at the previous page, I remembered something I wanted to ask. Do you know if any fighting/action series has a power system called Prana?

World Break used prana as their buzzword for MP.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

New we can't study

I'm not that big of a fan of sensei focused chapters, but I enjoyed this chapter.

Waited to read this one in the official and it didn't disappoint. I thought this was a fresh Sensei chapter, it had content that involved her inability to clean yeah but the focus was on her normally serious self falling fully into the Shojo Zone. Her reactions were great, as was the perplexed student at the end.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I can definitely see that sensei 3-panel strip being spammed on the internet for the next few weeks

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Doesn't that Fate series use Prana?...when it's not sex.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Waited to read this one in the official and it didn't disappoint. I thought this was a fresh Sensei chapter, it had content that involved her inability to clean yeah but the focus was on her normally serious self falling fully into the Shojo Zone. Her reactions were great, as was the perplexed student at the end.

The official translation for this series is great! They really nail the little details. I also prefer how they handled Sensei's speech pattern. She comes across as very robotic/unnatural in the scanlations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
New space tale
This guy is so shameless in where he wants to go with his leading ladies, it's pretty great. :allears:

Mulderman posted:

The official translation for this series is great! They really nail the little details. I also prefer how they handled Sensei's speech pattern. She comes across as very robotic/unnatural in the scanlations.

It feels like the Fansub has been up playing the robotic talk lately.