Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i can't stop laughing at this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

JBP posted:

Every liberal and national seat runs an independent candidate with a shot

:yeshaha:

gently caress i'd do it if someone bank rolled me

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Run against Guy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/thomas_violence/status/1055024910479704064

:thermidor:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

The loving premier was there piss off.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I swear Fairfax used to be cool.

I swear it used to be cool.

Why does this keep happening to media organisations I was previously neutral on?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Anidav posted:

I swear Fairfax used to be cool.

I swear it used to be cool.

Why does this keep happening to media organisations I was previously neutral on?

Didn't they get bought by channel 9 or something?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
No, it will come to a shareholder vote that is a big loving toss up at the moment.

The latte sipping AFR reading Fairfax stockholders would have to approve of being merged with Reality TV addicted CH9 which could or could not happen, it's been a deal with a fuckload of pushback.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Holy gently caress I can't even watch that.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Count Chocula posted:

I just read an article about it talking about how weird and awkward he always is and I felt kinda stigmatized ‘cause i’m like the weirdest, awkwardest person ever.

https://twitter.com/thomas_violence/status/1055015204067651584

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
They got distinctly shittier the day the Murdoch paywall went up. I reckon they saw a gap in the market and went for it.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

This actually made me feel bad for Tony Abbott. Why is he just standing there. What is he doing. If I was in that position somehow I’d probably go home and kill myself from embarrassment

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Maybe Abbott would have found it less awkward if he hadn't have spent years trying to tear Gillard down?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

I remember the 90’s being full of strikes. My dad worked in construction and the CFMEU/BLF were constantly going on strike and marching through the city.

Are these journalists ignoring the long history of strike action, or have they all just gotten used to the status quo since workers can’t strike without permission these days?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I remember the 90’s being full of strikes. My dad worked in construction and the CFMEU/BLF were constantly going on strike and marching through the city.

Are these journalists ignoring the long history of strike action, or have they all just gotten used to the status quo since workers can’t strike without permission these days?

It's right wing propaganda, op

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

BBJoey posted:

This actually made me feel bad for Tony Abbott. Why is he just standing there. What is he doing. If I was in that position somehow I’d probably go home and kill myself from embarrassment

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Maybe Abbott would have found it less awkward if he hadn't have spent years trying to tear Gillard down?

It's pretty much this, he's looking at the difference between their legacies. She's revered and he's reviled. He spent his best years belittling and demonising her and it didn't work

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, to that end... why was he even there?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Yeah, to that end... why was he even there?

Maybe there was a nice warm rock in the sun nearby and they just surprised him.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

tithin posted:

It's pretty much this, he's looking at the difference between their legacies. She's revered and he's reviled. He spent his best years belittling and demonising her and it didn't work

I know what he did but I don’t understand how he ended up standing there. What was the game plan here.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
He's clearly just ruining it for people because he's a jackass.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

BBJoey posted:

I know what he did but I don’t understand how he ended up standing there. What was the game plan here.

Considering the way he was tensing his neck muscles I think he was sizing up whether he could swallow Gillard whole without anyone noticing.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

iajanus posted:

Maybe there was a nice warm rock in the sun nearby and they just surprised him.

He needs the spotlight.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Oh neat, we're importing our racists now.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Testekill posted:

Been doing that for 230 years.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Testekill posted:

Only now? Ten pound poms were a thing for a while

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Like this guy!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

tithin posted:

You're suggesting he has insight which I don't believe he does.

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

”I;m thinking about thos onions”

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The symbolism of Tanya P. gently brushing him aside as she moves on determinedly and leaves him standing there lost and confused is just marvelous.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
While Gillard was PM with approval in the bin I emphatically told my dad that when history was being written of this period Gillard will be revered and Rudd (The white ant) will be a failure. I feel so much vindication and it was so plainly obvious because she was the last PM of principle and passion. History remembers.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Lid posted:

While Gillard was PM with approval in the bin I emphatically told my dad that when history was being written of this period Gillard will be revered and Rudd (The white ant) will be a failure. I feel so much vindication and it was so plainly obvious because she was the last PM of principle and passion. History remembers.

Unless you're a gay who wanted to get married...

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

hambeet posted:

gently caress i'd do it if someone bank rolled me

I wonder if anyone has worked out the average costs for getting elected for the lower house for each seat, or if there's any seats that have a low enough population/other characteristics that make getting elected easier (or at least more affordable) than others.

I was reading earlier today someone spent $20k on an "advertising blitz" in one of the regional seats (no I have no recollection what the advertising blitz was about), and my only thought was "really? That doesn't sound like a lot".

Dollars aren't a perfect conversion into votes, but I could totally imagine some nerd working out which of the seats are weakest or most susceptible to this sort of thing and some rich and opportunistic bastard capitalising on it to get in. Or at least, to upset the candidate who ultimately does get in.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

froglet posted:

I wonder if anyone has worked out the average costs for getting elected for the lower house for each seat, or if there's any seats that have a low enough population/other characteristics that make getting elected easier (or at least more affordable) than others.

I was reading earlier today someone spent $20k on an "advertising blitz" in one of the regional seats (no I have no recollection what the advertising blitz was about), and my only thought was "really? That doesn't sound like a lot".

Dollars aren't a perfect conversion into votes, but I could totally imagine some nerd working out which of the seats are weakest or most susceptible to this sort of thing and some rich and opportunistic bastard capitalising on it to get in. Or at least, to upset the candidate who ultimately does get in.

That was the “anyone but the nats” campaign, and advertising on regional radio/tv is crazy cheap.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

That was the “anyone but the nats” campaign, and advertising on regional radio/tv is crazy cheap.

When I am rich and crazy I am going to buy advertising time on regional radio for complete nonsense. Not selling anything, just introduce unadulterated oddity into strangers lives.

"Do you ever sit and feel the earth just... Turning?"

"Eeeeeeeee eeee eeeeeeeee. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa kkkkkk nooooooooot"

"Breathe in *hold it* breathe out, breathe in *hold it* breathe out. Don't you feel better?"

"Trapped in radio station, send help!"

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
So you're going to simulcast adult swim onto a regional station?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

froglet posted:

When I am rich and crazy I am going to buy advertising time on regional radio for complete nonsense. Not selling anything, just introduce unadulterated oddity into strangers lives.

"Do you ever sit and feel the earth just... Turning?"

"Eeeeeeeee eeee eeeeeeeee. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa kkkkkk nooooooooot"

"Breathe in *hold it* breathe out, breathe in *hold it* breathe out. Don't you feel better?"

"Trapped in radio station, send help!"

Clive Palmer already does this.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

froglet posted:

Phelps says her campaign was $300k, I would have to think that Wentworth would be a high cost electorate to run in, but potentially high donations too.

Upper house would be difficult, campaigning across an entire state.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Organza Quiz posted:

Unless you're a gay who wanted to get married...

Yeah Gillards position as the sole member of "permantly de facto atheist women who don't want children against gay marriage" always stuck out as a sore thumb in being the SDA concession to get their support for the Prime ministership.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Phelps says her campaign was $300k, I would have to think that Wentworth would be a high cost electorate to run in, but potentially high donations too.

I have heard $500k for the major parties for a well funded campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf
So this was waiting for me when I sat down today : Melbourne IT have put out a press release about a Orbital Angular Momentum fibre optic cable chip that will revolutionize optics, including the NBN (somehow)

quote:

"Twisted' fibre optic light breakthrough could make internet 100 times faster

A new development in fibre optics could make internet speeds up to 100 times faster – by detecting light that has been twisted into a spiral.
Fibre optic cables use pulses of light to transmit information, but currently information can only be stored through the colour of the light, and whether the wave is horizontal or vertical.

By twisting light into a spiral, engineers effectively create a third dimension for light to carry information: the level of orbital angular momentum, or spin. “It’s like DNA, if you look at the double helix spiral,” said Min Gu from RMIT University. “The more you can use angular momentum the more information you can carry.”

Previous detectors were “the size of a dining table”, but the new detector is the width of a human hair. “We could produce the first chip that could detect this twisting and display it for mobile application,” Gu said.

Gu said his new research could still work with networks with large amounts of copper wire.

“We will definitely reduce this hurdle,” he said. “We will make this transfer more efficient.”

O...K... sure. I don't know anyone deploying gigabit ethernet over copper on any large scale, but sure, you have a degree in this and I don't.

Then you get to this minor little catch at the bottom

quote:

However, because the new cables are required to effectively twist light, any upgrade could involve replacing existing fibre networks.

Well, there goes that product. Nice idea, but you don't know it's maximum range (The US has sent 1.6 terrabit over 1km), and you need to replace the entire world's existing single-mode fibre-optic network and that is straight away a non-starter.

Using existing fibre optic DWDM tech, I'm seeing a bunch of the new 100Gb Ciena ROADM's turning up from different carriers that are doing at least 400 GB in a 6 RU box, Vocus just commissioned their 40 Tb Perth-Singapore link, there's a new 60 Tb Southern-Cross NEXT sneaking up on us, and South Korea is pushing for 10Gb connectivity to 50% of it's HOME users in 2020

Nice work, but it's a pipe dream to rip all that out for new technology. It might be used in a short-haul data-centre much like Multi-Mode still is, but it's going to be a curiosity at best.

• Locked thread