Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Homestuck is kind of bad but I'm kind of sad that it became such a byword for bizarre subcultures instead of having what it did right celebrated. Can't even mention it without people giving you weird looks, even among people who are pretty nerdy.
Also wish Hussie could move on to other things like he used to want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Homestuck is kind of bad but I'm kind of sad that it became such a byword for bizarre subcultures instead of having what it did right celebrated. Can't even mention it without people giving you weird looks, even among people who are pretty nerdy.
Also wish Hussie could move on to other things like he used to want to.

Hiveswap is the thing he wanted to move onto. But you didn’t believe. Now Tinkerbell is dead and Captain Hook’s got Rufio on the ropes. Again.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

When Homestuck is finished, I will decide whether it's good or bad

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Plom Bar posted:

Pay no mind to the histrionics of this thread. Homestuck is good.

the son of a gun already has to read it. you don't need to lie to him on top of that.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Homestuck is still good and still funny, and will continue to be

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Plom Bar posted:

Pay no mind to the histrionics of this thread. Homestuck is good.
Just don't buy merch from Welovefine. Their quality is terrible.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

this is incredibly true. i bought a Hero of Light hoodie because Aranea is Good, and when I got it, it was the same orange as a high-visibility vest that construction workers use lol

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Clawtopsy posted:

this is incredibly true. i bought a Hero of Light hoodie because Aranea is Good, and when I got it, it was the same orange as a high-visibility vest that construction workers use lol

Should be ready for cosplay in the forest during deer season then.

Be sure to ask hungover hunters if they have heard of Homestuck, then save the deer by explaining classpects.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It all looks like cheap garbage when you are an adult

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Arsenic Lupin posted:

:colbert:
https://www.forfansbyfans.com/sentry-worm-body-pillow-case-17716.html

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
hell, i like a homestuck from time to time

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
my unironic take on Homestuck is that you can dislike the final product but if you have the fortitude to soldier through the whole god drat thing without having at least a few points that make you crack up laughing like an idiot then you're obviously doing penance for some obscure sin or another

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Karkat is my only saving grace

Beep beep meow

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
My stance currently is that Homestuck wildly flails between being really poo poo and highly entertaining insanely fast.

I scorn myself at being so good at memorizing lore but on the other hand I can use that to pester my wife for funny results

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Homestuck is a worthwhile read that just fails to stick the landing in a pretty bad way.

I imagine an archive read would be more favorable since you didn’t have to wait like two years for Act 7 to release, but it’s still not great. Not to mention the bewildering mess that has been Homestuck 2.0.

You guys remember Homestuck 2.0, right? They got Dante Basco to make a YouTube video about it! And all we have now is a quarter of a video game, a handful of dollar platonic dating sims, and some awkward snapchat content of dubious canonicity.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i choose to believe the Homestuck 2.0 announcement was primarily a vehicle to style on BKEW

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

i think homes tuck brought me more net enjoyment than disappointment, but the disappointment was more memorable due to when and how it occurred

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Clawtopsy posted:

i think homes tuck brought me more net enjoyment than disappointment, but the disappointment was more memorable due to when and how it occurred

Good way of putting it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Homestuck doesn't even get to parts I don't like until Act 6 so that's a pretty hefty chunk I still think is good.

Admittedly Act 5 does lay the groundwork for where I felt the story went off the rails."

Clawtopsy posted:

True, plus the disappointment was more recent. The most disappointing thing being the literal ending makes that the last thing you remember.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Acts 1-5 were good enough that they make up for the slow descent into hell that is the rest of the comic

So homestuck is good, overall, and I’d happily argue that the first 5 acts (okay, maybe not 5.1) were great,

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

i hold act 5 probably most fondly because livereading the trollocalypse was a hell of an experience that no other form of media has been able to recreate for me

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Doc Scratch > Lord English

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Spellman posted:

Doc Scratch > Lord English

this too is true

what happened with diamonds droog having the red miles and everything did that get resolved or just forgotten

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
The skaia stuff is good and fun. The troll stuff sours a lot of it though. Except Karkat, because his bewildered anger towards all the bullshit happening around/to him is very understandable.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
WV being one of the best rendered members of the cast with the most interesting and directly emotional connection to the antagonistic forces in the entire narrative and then doing literally nothing for the majority of the story either because Hussie plain forgot or want to have a 20th character arc be dropped completely because of his need to be ironically detached from the ides of narrative is still the worst poo poo in the comic and proves that an asthetic of breaking to norms of narrative constructions can't do much on their own if the rest of your writing is worse than a traditional told character arc.

WV's character arc is a microcosm of Homestucks narrative failings as a whole and it's a shame because he's a cute goblin who only wanted to kill all unjust rulers and I liked him very much.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Did WV even really have a character besides being a republican and a bit goofy?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

anarchist hero wayward vagabond

e: oh wait he wanted to be mayor

e2: it's been a long time since I've read this comic

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

if you do not write it as mayoR, you are truly the worst.

practically a thread cronus.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ThaumPenguin posted:

anarchist hero wayward vagabond

e: oh wait he wanted to be mayor

e2: it's been a long time since I've read this comic

He wanted to be the mayor of his imaginary town way after his revolutionary vanguard made to overthrow the unjust rule of the king died to the evil chancellor's destruction of basically the whole of Skaian society. Let the man have his imagination, it's all he has left.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
They also kept hinting that he'd eventually get the ring and wield its power against Jack Noir, and the Queen was pushing for it, but they all died and the idea never really came up again until he pulled out the ring long enough to destroy it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Homestuck would have been better if Lord English were never a thing. Like if Jack Noir were the actual bad guy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Lord English works just fine

The problem is that Lord English is never actually the bad guy because our heroes never actually have to deal with him.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Cherubs were a mistake

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

GunnerJ posted:

Homestuck would have been better if Lord English were never a thing. Like if Jack Noir were the actual bad guy.

Lord English appearing as a character was the issue, only compounded by said character being a green clown skull child. The basic concept of "seal away or somehow make yourselves immune to the intergalactic time demon" was totally reasonable

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Burkion posted:

Lord English works just fine

Actually he sucks.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GeneX posted:

Lord English appearing as a character was the issue, only compounded by said character being a green clown skull child. The basic concept of "seal away or somehow make yourselves immune to the intergalactic time demon" was totally reasonable

The thing is that I am torn because I like Caliborn as a character, but I hate everything that resulted in Jack Noir being sidelined as a major antagonistic force.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Remember how the white king's scepter, which granted all the powers of one of those first guardian rings, got dropped to the ground on skaia with a dramatic pan over it, then nothing ever came of it?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Someone (CD?) brought it to Jack during Descend, that's how he started the reckoning. He slashed the black king's during his regicide rampage, presumably the white one met the same fate.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Lord English was amazing when he was a sinister underworld figure with a huge plan who was also secretly a known cast member (should have been John's dad). Then it turned out he was a mindless muscleguy with no motives and the comic was ruined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

calliope was way worse than lord english